• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of 2 Pics Per Post AND READ THE RULES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
2W2

twoworlds2_dx102011-022uk0.jpg

twoworlds2_dx102011-02fncg.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lime said:
eew grain filter
I actually like the grain filter quite a bit. Keeps the game looking unique and unlike the million other UE3 games. Also, it helps mask some of the games poor aging. I mean like shit can look pretty bad at times, but the grain filter keeps things looking consistent.

Some playthroughs, I left it on and, some, I turned it off. I'm on the fence with the grain filter but I'd definitely be interested to see the game without the vignetting.

Those TW2 screens forced my hand. Even though I really won't have a chance to touch it until Sunday at the earliest, it's now bought and mocking me from my Steam library.

The grain filter in ME1 is definitely awful. I can see some one making an argument for leaving it on in 2, but if you have it on in 1 then you are doing something wrong.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lostconfused said:
The grain filter in ME1 is definitely awful. I can see some one making an argument for leaving it on in 2, but if you have it on in 1 then you are doing something wrong.
Sorry, you aren't as interesting to fight with as Dennis.

And I thought my reasoning for leaving it on was pretty solid.

DennisK4 said:
Grain filters are the first thing I turn off.

Spend $$$ on rig, destroy IQ with grain ???
lol xD

1. Spend $$$ on rig
2. Install Mass Effect 1/2
3. Max Settings & Turn on Grain Filter
4. ????
5. Argue on GAF when you post screenshots

Stallion Free said:
Sorry, you aren't as interesting to fight with as Dennis.

And I thought my reasoning for leaving it on was pretty solid.
You can explain anything you want with reasoning. Still doesn't change the fact that film grain makes the game look worse.

Ceebs

DennisK4 said:
Grain filters are the first thing I turn off.

Spend $$$ on rig, destroy IQ with grain ???
Amen!

Grain filter proponents at least can make a case when talking about Left 4 Dead due to the tone and nature of the game. I have zero clue however what a grain filter is doing in a futuristic sci-fi game like Mass Effect where everything in the world is smooth and metallic and very modern looking.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ceebs said:
Amen!

Grain filter proponents at least can make a case when talking about Left 4 Dead due to the tone and nature of the game. I have zero clue however what a grain filter is doing in a futuristic sci-fi game like Mass Effect where everything in the world is smooth and metallic and very modern looking.
Making me feel like I'm watching Bladerunner on VHS. I thought that was obvious.

Stallion Free said:
Making me feel like I'm watching Bladerunner on VHS. I thought that was obvious.

Was that an artistic choice from the film or a limitation of the medium? Blade Runner would've been better suited without the film grain..

Ceebs

Stallion Free said:
Even with film grain it never comes close to making the game feel like older sci-fi movies. You can't have the rest of the game look like it was made today and expect a grain filter to sell a vintage feel. It comes off as tacky and cheap to me. If you want that vintage look, you need to be designing the art of the game to give that feel, not slapping on a filter as post processing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gully State said:
Was that an artistic choice from the film or a limitation of the medium? Blade Runner would've been better suited without the film grain..
Yeah all movies would be better without natural grain. I mean fuck that grain.

Isn't Film Gran derived from early and to this day current film reels having a natural fine 'grain' to them, which distinguished film cameras and the medium as a whole from digital cameras/video?

Which in turn, has resulted in "Film Grain" options appearing in certain games as an artistic choice.

So I think Film Grain options being "good/bad" is as objective in nature as something could possibly be regarding IQ.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Do you guys play the game with motion blur? Because that does actually hurt the image in my opinion. I personally enjoy how the film grain makes screens such as this:

MassEffect%202011-02-03%2016-56-22-15.jpg

Stallion Free said:
Do you guys play the game with motion blur? Because that does actually hurt the image in my opinion. I personally enjoy how the film grain makes screens such as this:
Motion blur is awful in still Images. But no I think leaving film grain on is the worst decision you can make while playing ME1.

Edit: I can understand that some one might hold a different opinion but I was much happier with the way ME1 looked when I turned it off.

sam27368

Banned
So has anyone tried hotlinking there images from the new Steam screenshot tool?
The image quality seems to suffer quite a bit when they're uploaded which I find stupid because they give you a gigs space.
It'd be different if you could only have 50 images or so, but telling you how much space you have always makes me think that I should be able to choose to have X amount of high quality images and Y amount of not as high quality images since it's all about disk space as opposed to number of images.

If bandwidth is an issue (which I highly doubt with Steam since it's a digital distribution service) then they should limit the amount of hotlinking allowed.

Sinatar

Stallion Free said:
Do you guys play the game with motion blur?

I shut off motion blur in both Mass Effects cause the implementation in those games is horrid. Film grain I'm pretty neutral on. I played through with it both on and off and didn't really prefer one over the other.

A film grain argument is enough to trigger me to go for yet another ME playthrough. I have to resist because I have at least 2 huge wrpgs to play right now.

Widge

I absolutely love grain filter, stops things looking sterile and computer generated, and makes it a bit more... human. I love the real world imperfection of it all, as you get with motion blur, a bit of style. Start turning these things off and you get a mechanical precision about what you are seeing. Technically perfect, lacking soul.

vocab

Grain filter, and motion blur are just annoying. I like a clear picture personally. Grain filter in L4D or Killing floor doesn't bother me as much. I hate when devs do motion blur or grain filters so bad that it makes the game look absolute shit. Alpha Protocol has one of the funniest motion blurs in gaming I have ever seen. It's like the guys face is getting blown off by the wind.

Dennis

Banned
Widge said:
I absolutely love grain filter, stops things looking sterile and computer generated, and makes it a bit more... human.
Just like the real world where everybody has grain filters built into their human eyes, right? Oh wait, we don't.......

Kritz

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Just like the real world where everybody has grain filters built into their human eyes, right? Oh wait, we don't.......

Here, I fixed your avatar:

untitledzrnc.png

It's now Stallion approved!

Sinatar

Kritz said:
You need to stop wearing that stupid hat.

God damn TW2's hats are fucking stupid.

It's so much better then any other helmet I've found. Plus when I'm in somewhere dark I cut an Indiana Jones silhouette with my shadows.

Kritz

Banned
My solution was to just never wear a hat and sacrifice the armour bonus in favour of not looking like a bellend.

I might as well post some screenshots in this thread.

Two Worlds 2 - DX10

twoworlds2_dx102011-02ensq.jpg

twoworlds2_dx102011-02uupa.jpg

I'm not entirely sure why I get that weird pixellation in the hair. It seems like I either get nice parallaxing and AF in DX10, or less terrible hair in DX9.

I hate the grain in ME. It just makes the image look so muddy.

Grain can look really nice though as long as a very fine, high quality effect is used. I love it in L4D2 and also when using thermal goggles in the original Splinter Cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom