• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 First U.S. Presidential Debate |OT| OK Libya... We need a leader, not a reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Democrats have won most of the previous Presidential debates I think. Really what matters is how the public reacts. If Obama is still ahead going into next week then he is fine. He will be better during the next debate, it's not like he can get any worse. Also expectations are now high for Romney.

Obama can surely bounce back, but he never really did against Hilary, in the debates

Man, the AP fact check really shows how badly they want this to be a close race between two equals. Romney's lies are "checked" with grudging admittance that they're totally false, while Obama's statements are "checked" with "well yeah this is technically true but if you think about it from this perspective which Romney is coming from it's only mostly or half true."

I watched the debate with an Obama supporter last night and it left a really bad taste in his mouth. The same criticisms he leveled at him during his presidency: timid, weary, and weak, manifested itself last night's debate.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
No problem - the abortion thing stems from my belief that it's legalized murder and that's something that I think the federal government should outlaw. On the other hand, I don't think gay marriage should be outlawed, at least as the Constitution currently stands.

To clarify, I don't want to get into an abortion debate -- just stating why I don't think it's big government.
Well, that's the thing: You think it's legalized murder. Some people don't think of a developing zygote/embryo/fetus as a baby. Some people do. some people don't, unless it's their own pregnancy we're talking about (ie: some people who are pro-choice, but choose not to get abortions). Other people it's a grey area with no clear answer.

The one thing I think we can all agree upon is that birth is where the ambiguity ends (after all, pre-birth, there is no birth certificate or legal status, except in some areas when prosecuting a crime.), and I hope we can all agree that pregnancy is in fact a sigifnicant medical issue for women, otherwise we wouldn't have doctors involved at any point in the process.

I can understand that from the perspective of thinking of a zygote as a baby, abortion seems reprehensible, but I hope you can understand that this perspective is not one that everyone holds, or that each individual even has a consistent perspective on the matter.

... damn it now we're getting into a debate. Sorry lol :(

Posted already?
o-ROMNEY-BIG-BIRD-570.jpg

apana

Obama should spread a rumor that Mitt Romney plans to cancel the Maury Show, then the public will really be outraged.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its going to be really hilarious if the PBS thing turns into a serious backfire with actual repercussions. It won't, but it would be hilarious.

But what if Bert and Ernie are not gay?

Possibly my favorite Cracked.com article of all time: http://www.cracked.com/blog/are-bert-ernie-gay/
Cracked: Right. OK. Also on the subject of reality shows, Bert, as someone of Italian descent who's from the New York area, how do you feel about the antics these Jersey Shore kids get up to? Do you feel they're demeaning your community?
Bert: What? I'm not Italian. Why would you think I'm Italian?

Cracked: I ... But you're from somewhere around the Mediterranean?
Bert: Nope. Why would you think that?
Cracked: I ... don't know. -checks notes- Bad research.

Striek

Watching morning news here in Australia and the only brief recap done was that Romney slaughtered Obama. From this thread I gather that's the feeling in America too. Shame?

cousins

No problem - the abortion thing stems from my belief that it's legalized murder and that's something that I think the federal government should outlaw. On the other hand, I don't think gay marriage should be outlawed, at least as the Constitution currently stands.

To clarify, I don't want to get into an abortion debate -- just stating why I don't think it's big government.

So, it is big government, you just think it's big government worth having. Cool.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Normally, I would like to troll a thread like this, but I just can't at the moment.

You stupid libs should b ashamed at yourselves for your moronic reaction over Romney "winning" the debate. It was utterly embarrassing seeing all the lefty chicken littles running around with their heads chopped off, screaming "it's all over, sell your intrade stock!" and "I never believed in evolution anyway!". If nothing else, this feeds into the stupid media narrative that Romney's the new comeback kid, and Obama's out of his league. Historically debates haven't had much effect on the general election, but with the polls this close, with voter ID laws in swing states, we really can't afford to cast any doubt on Obama. Get your shit together, lefties!

You'd never see reactions like this on Freeper if Romney didn't "win".

Normally, I would like to troll a thread like this, but I just can't at the moment.

You stupid libs should b ashamed at yourselves for your moronic reaction over Romney "winning" the debate. It was utterly embarrassing seeing all the lefty chicken littles running around with their heads chopped off, screaming "it's all over, sell your intrade stock!" and "I never believed in evolution anyway!". If nothing else, this feeds into the stupid media narrative that Romney's the new comeback kid, and Obama's out of his league. Historically debates haven't had much effect on the general election, but with the polls this close, with voter ID laws in swing states, we really can't afford to cast any doubt on Obama. Get your shit together, lefties!

You'd never see reactions like this on Freeper if Romney didn't "win".
I'm not seeing this great panic people keep referring to. I see disappointment.

Or are you talking about TV talking heads? I don't watch that shit any more.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm not seeing this great panic people keep referring to. I see disappointment.

Or are you talking about TV talking heads? I don't watch that shit any more.

I'm talking about both.

My boy Chris Matthews even, had a goddamned meltdown yesterday over Obama's performance.

DrMungo

One I don't think the debates matter _that_ much.
John Kerry completely destroyed Bush in the first debates, and overall as well.
What was appalling even to me, was the level of mendacity of Romney.

This is just an example of what Romney does - has been since the Repubulican debates.
He just panders and lies on stage, waits for the attention to go away, then...a staffer quietly sets the record straight.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...e-existing-conditions-under-president-rom.php

"...umm actually insurance companies _don't_ cover preexisting conditions..._"

strobogo

Banned
I'm talking about both.

My boy Chris Matthews even, had a goddamned meltdown yesterday over Obama's performance.

Chris Matthews has melt downs over anything and everything and also literally gets boners when Obama does well. He's as embarrassing as anyone on Fox.

Effnine

Wait, people actually thought Romney was better? All I heard was the same misrepresentation of the truth and skirting of actual answers by Romney over and over. Must re-watch.

maharg

idspispopd
Wait, people actually thought Romney was better? All I heard was the same misrepresentation of the truth and skirting of actual answers by Romney over and over. Must re-watch.

He was more assertive and played better to his own base. That's what winning means.

maharg

idspispopd
Sure, to his base. But what about outside of his base, where it matters?

I think you either accept the rather problematic notion of 'winning' I described above or you decide that winning is bullshit. A political debate is really about getting across ideas and personality to the audience, not about scoring points and winning because there are millions of judges who see things differently. There is no consensus to work from and no higher authority (except the media, who have crowned themselves as such).

Dude Abides

Banned
I'm talking about both.

Chris Matthews doesn't post here so it's not clear why you're shouting at us.

Many on this board got themselves hyped about invincible Obama, master of the debate and all he surveys. Now that it's been shown that debates aren't his strong suit (which should have been obvious to anyone who paid attention in 08, but wasn't due to the aforementioned fanboyism), they are overreacting and the sky is falling. Live by the hype, die by the hype.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Chris Matthews doesn't post here so it's not clear why you're shouting at us.

Many on this board got themselves hyped about invincible Obama, master of the debate and all he surveys. Now that it's been shown that debates aren't his strong suit (which should have been obvious to anyone who paid attention in 08, but wasn't due to the aforementioned fanboyism), they are overreacting and the sky is falling. Live by the hype, die by the hype.

Dude still abidin' as always. I admit that I didn't expect Obama to sleepwalk as much as he did though. That closing statement. Yikes.

Effnine

I think you either accept the rather problematic notion of 'winning' I described above or you decide that winning is bullshit. A political debate is really about getting across ideas and personality to the audience, not about scoring points and winning because there are millions of judges who see things differently. There is no consensus to work from and no higher authority (except the media, who have crowned themselves as such).

Understood. I suppose I just wasn't won over by Mitt's personality and the way he handled things. Of course, unless you're undecided or on Team Mitt, things look a bit different.

Magni

The company I work for partnered with the Daily Beast for their interactive debate coverage last night. We provided the polling software (Urtak) and got some pretty interesting data from 12,000+ responses.

I did a quick write-up on what we got if anyone's interested: http://opinion.is/2012/a-closer-look-into-last-nights-debate/

My favorite was how people who prefer Romney's plan were four times as likely to think that the debate could change the race at this point in the campaign haha. I guess it's all they can cling to at this point.

oktarb

Here's my comment for Obama script writers.

In the debate Romney talks fervently about creating jobs and strengthening education and then proceeds to fire people right then and there. He fires the people responsible for hosting the debate and characters responsible for helping parents teach their kids.

Way to create jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom