• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 First U.S. Presidential Debate |OT| OK Libya... We need a leader, not a reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deviljho

There will be 3 Presidential debates. 1... a domestic policy debate, 2... a town meeting style debate, and 3... uhhh, let's see, the third one, oops. I'm sorry, the third will be a foreign policy debate. A Vice Presidential debate will be somewhere in between. Details below:

Summary:

Oct. 3: Obama and Romney face off over domestic policy from 9-10:30 p.m. EST at the University of Denver in Colorado.

Oct. 11: Vice President Joe Biden and Congressman Paul Ryan debate foreign and domestic policy from 9-10:30 p.m. EST at Centre College in Danville, Ky.

Oct. 16: Obama and Romney hold a town hall-style discussion about foreign and domestic policy from 9-10:30 p.m. EST at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY.

Oct. 22: The presidential candidates get a final chance to defend their foreign policy platforms from 9-10:30 p.m. EST at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fl.

bazinga_logo.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------

October 3, 2012
Topic: Domestic policy

Air Time: 9:00-10:30 p.m. Eastern Time
Sponsor: Commission on Presidential Debates
Participants: President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney
Moderator: Jim Lehrer (Host of NewsHour on PBS)

The debate will focus on domestic policy and be divided into six time segments of approximately 15 minutes each on topics to be selected by the moderator and announced several weeks before the debate.

The moderator will open each segment with a question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the topic.

October 16, 2012
Topic: Foreign and domestic policy

Moderator: Martha Raddatz (ABC News Chief Foreign Correspondent)

The debate will cover both foreign and domestic topics and be divided into nine time segments of approximately 10 minutes each. The moderator will ask an opening question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the question.

October 22, 2012
Topic: Foreign policy

Moderator: Bob Schieffer (Host of Face the Nation on CBS)

The format for the debate will be identical to the first presidential debate and will focus on foreign policy.

Vice Presidential
October 11, 2012
Topic: Foreign and domestic policy

Participants: Vice President Joe Biden and Congressman Paul Ryan
Moderator: Martha Raddatz (ABC News Chief Foreign Correspondent)

The debate will cover both foreign and domestic topics and be divided into nine time segments of approximately 10 minutes each. The moderator will ask an opening question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the question.

Nobility

Banned
I have a midterm on Thursday but I can't miss the excitement, I am most interested in Romney's retorts against a brutal September of revelations and criticism.

Amir0x

Banned
this is going to be awkward debate central, Obama droning on and on with his ums and uhhs, Romney with his perpetually smug face and metronome swaying head trying his hardest to squeeze in his painfully rehearsed lines.

Angry Fork

I hope this is an actual debate where they're allowed to go back and forth without the moderator being a dick and interjecting. Ask a question, let both give prepared answer, then let them respond back and forth for another minute or 2 without the moderator whining about time or wanting to move on to another issue. Extend the time if necessary.

Chichikov

I hope this is an actual debate where they're allowed to go back and forth without the moderator being a dick and interjecting. Ask a question, let both give prepared answer, then let them respond back and forth for another minute or 2 without the moderator whining about time or wanting to move on to another issue. Extend the time if necessary.
The format have been decided, and it's specified in the OP.

Iksenpets

Banned
Are none of these going to be a town hall style this year? I was so looking forward to Mitt interacting with the plebes.

Amir0x

Banned
For the OCTOBER 3rd debate, by the way...

Here are the topics broken down by time allotted of the 90 minute debate:

Economy – 45 minutes
Health Care – 15 minutes
Role of Government – 15 minutes
Governing - 15 minutes

The Health Care section is going to be motherfuckin' glorious.

And here is the Obama campaign response to the report about Romney's "zingers":

Ahead of the first presidential debate this Wednesday, the Obama campaign has rejected the idea that the president will be hurling any "zingers" at opponent Mitt Romney.

"We also saw in reports that Mitt Romney and his team have been working on zingers and special lines for months," said Obama campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki, according to pool reports. "That's not what the President's focus is on. So if you're expecting that, that's probably not what he's going to deliver on. As I said, he's speaking directly to the American people and we know what they want to hear is what his plan is for moving the country forward, and that's what we're hoping he can deliver on, on Wednesday."

More at Link

Economy – 45 minutes
Health Care – 15 minutes
Governing - 15 minutes

More at Link

i'm not sure I can watch them talk for 45 minutes about economics

Derrick01

Banned

Economy – 45 minutes
Health Care – 15 minutes
Governing - 15 minutes

More at Link

Which is nice for the 1000 people out there that want substance out of these things, but for the rest of this retarded country they're just waiting for 1 really good zinger so they can say ____ won.

Angry Fork

We could just as easily get dumb questions that way, if someone asked a birther question the US would never live it down.

Then we get dumb questions too, at least give people the option of having their voice heard. It's better than only having prepared easy to answer bs. Birther stuff is easy to answer anyway, it would just be amusing, I'm much more interested in how Obama would respond to something like Bradley manning treatment or killing civilians overseas illegally. And I doubt the moderators will bring that up.

Amir0x

Banned
Which is nice for the 1000 people out there that want substance out of these things, but for the rest of this retarded country they're just waiting for 1 really good zinger so they can say ____ won.

It's not the rest of the country wants a 'good zinger', it's that soundbites are more easily communicable to the public at large. The message has to be put out in a clip that can be played in 30 seconds on CNN, MSNBC and Fox news. It's the media's fault this is the case, not the public's, because that's how they have been conditioned. Most people don't have the time or energy to go much deeper than what they'll consume in a half hour of tv news.

That said, I don't think the Obama camp is not acknowledging how a good zinger can play out, I think they just genuinely believe that Romney isn't capable of making a rehearsed zinger land well. They are going to play a 'do-no-harm' strategy that maintains the status quo, which is Romney behind by 4 or 5 points and an unassailable lead in any swing state that matters.

One is a former lawyer who study his ass off to become the President while the other pays his way to college. So who do you think is going to win?

Amir0x

Banned
Pretty excited for this. Feels like Christmas.

It's the publics, too, of course.

It's the publics fault for not looking deeper, sure, but people are busy and turn to the media to do a decent job of informing them of the issues, so I'd definitely say it's more the responsibility of those who make news their career to do a good job of informing their audience whenever they decide to tune in. They have a certain level of trust from the audience, and if they betray it, the audience might just think they're being told the whole story not knowing any better.

But any way, I meant it's the media's fault for not setting a better standard for news reporting; the public really doesn't have a say in how the media sets their agenda, at least not in any real sense.

Socreges

Banned
It's the publics fault for not looking deeper, sure, but people are busy and turn to the media to do a decent job of informing them of the issues, so I'd definitely say it's more the responsibility of those who make news their career to do a good job of informing their audience whenever they decide to tune in. They have a certain level of trust from the audience, and if they betray it, the audience might just think they're being told the whole story not knowing any better.

But any way, I meant it's the media's fault for not setting a better standard for news reporting; the public really doesn't have a say in how the media sets their agenda, at least not in any real sense.
Yeah I just take issue with describing the American public as some passive, malleable blob who have had no part in shaping the evolution of media and 'infotainment'.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm kind of excited for these. This will be the first time I've watched the debates live. I'm afraid the 1st debate will be a bit boring (healthcare section might be fun), but the other three should bring some good moments. The VP debate should really be interesting to watch.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ugh, all of these will begin during the last bit of my work day, and add in my commute... :(

I want to watch these live, with GAF and Twitter feeds going.

anyone else think Romney is going to surprise everyone and make Obama look bad? He was very good in the primary debates, especially the latter ones

Measley

anyone else think Romney is going to surprise everyone and make Obama look bad? He was very good in the primary debates, especially the latter ones

Its easy to look good when your opponents are nitwits who aren't really seeking the presidency.

Its easy to look good when your opponents are nitwits who aren't really seeking the presidency.

they've been reporting for weeks he's been taking a lot of time preparing, but I'm not sure if he will have a rebuttal to the 47% mark which includes seniors, veterans, students

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Not a chance. Romney might have some well prepared memorized lines, but thinking on the spot with details and interacting with the audience he's going to fail so miserably. Do you all not remember the GOP debates? The guy said he didn't hire illegals, and then he said he had to stop when running for president for pete's sake. Or that time he didn't see super pac ads and then immediately defended a super pac ad that he saw. This kind of stuff and the 47% video he's going to be owned on by Obama. He's not debating the circus like he was months ago.

I mean seriously, the economy subject may seem ideal for Romney, but all Obama has to do is turn it around by saying that he thinks economic prosperity is optimal when people like them (Romney/Obama) both pay more taxes. He can then point out that Romney's taxes he paid at 14.1% by hiding cash overseas is less than the working class that he cannot connect with. Bam, owned.

Romney will probably pretend like the recession started under Obama's watch, but that sort of stuff will be fact checked with these debates. Obama can point out the 800k+ jobs lost per month with Romney's policies and Dow at 6500 compared to today. I don't see how Romney is going to beat this without pulling shit out of his ass like he normally does which won't be ignored with this debate. This is national news not Fox news.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
they've been reporting for weeks he's been taking a lot of time preparing, but I'm not sure if he will have a rebuttal to the 47% mark which includes seniors, veterans, students

Just because he's prepping endlessly doesn't mean he'll be good. He's not that great a debater and the only reason he's looked good in the primary is that he was debating against epic morons.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Doesn't Candy Crawley have one of the debates? I don't think it's Martha Raddatz.

bounchfx

looking forward to watching, this is going to be the most entertaining thing this year. also, most likely scary as balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom