• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 First U.S. Presidential Debate |OT| OK Libya... We need a leader, not a reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JFK is not running for President this election. I'm not sure who else paid his way into college.
You don't seems to get my points. Let me put it this way one is a lawyer who prior to become a president earn a living by basically debating against a guy who doesn't even know what he believes in and looks lost most of the time if you put him on the spot.

deviljho

Romney wasn't very good in the primaries. He basically just agreed with whoever just made the best point.

towards the end of the clip, although you will be amused for the entire duration:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-september-25-2012/democalypse-2012---every-which-way-but-lucid

and after they all shot themselves in the foot, he won by successively leaning more to the right than any opponent(s) on any issue(s) as they came up in order to defeat them. he just kept leaning, and leaning...

200px-Palpatine_ROTJ.jpg

deviljho

You don't seems to get my points. Let me put it this way one is a lawyer who prior to become a president earn a living by basically debating against a guy who doesn't even know what he believes in and looks lost most of the time if you put him on the spot.

Oh no, I fully understood your point the first time you made it. I actually understand it less by reading the above. Suffice it to say, you point was understood. :)

Angry Fork

If Romney couldn't keep his temper down in front of Rick Perry I think he's going to have an even worse time with Obama.

Kusagari

I have no idea in what universe Romney looked good in the debates. His struggles are what let Gingrich get momentum to begin with, which continued until Romney finally pulled his head out of his ass and managed to put down the "amazing" Gingrich.

The thing I am most hoping for this debate: Romney stumbling and flailing over himself and being generally awkward while attempting to set up his zingers. An audible groan from the audience if possible.

I just can't help but wonder if we'll get any dog whistling out of Romney. The logical part of me reckons he can't be that stupid when it comes to pandering to the dregs here in 2012/praying it would fumble if tried...but on the other hand I'd half expect them to be combing a thesaurus for any and all words comparable to "Uppity" that said miscreants could get the wink and nudge on.

Especially given how easily he gets flustered and the reckoning that one of the few genuine things about him and his campaign is being very much not a fan of Obama.

Last few debates those years back the thread here and on SA were tops in terms of following along with it as it all happened more or less----expecting excellence again this time around.

jbug617

Banned
all the Republicans are setting a low bar for Romney even if he does a decent job they will proclaim a victory for him.

ezekial45

Banned
If Romney couldn't keep his temper down in front of Rick Perry I think he's going to have an even worse time with Obama.
Plus, he's going to be trying really really hard to impress people. Given how awkward he can get when doing things that aren't natural to him, it might not work so well.

Surely many vital issues will be discussed at this debate, and not just pre-approved subjects between the candidates.

I don't know what kind of person you have to be to be swayed by a presidential debate.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm most interested in the VP debate. I think the P debates will be kinda predictable, nothing too exciting. But Biden and Ryan are real ... characters.

Kusagari

Plus, he's going to be trying really really hard to impress people. Given how awkward he can get when doing things that aren't natural to him, it might not work so well.

Well, all we keep hearing is Romney is preparing a bunch of zingers.

Considering how well Romney's jokes usually go over, it sounds like a disaster in the making for him.

Surely many vital issues will be discussed at this debate, and not just pre-approved subjects between the candidates.

They won't be, they are going to be created by Jim Lehrer. Granted, the chances that they won't be boilerplate are relatively slim. Also, they will also just ignore most of the question, and focus the answer on the one policy point or attack they want to make.

They won't be, they are going to be created by Jim Lehrer. Granted, the chances that they won't be boilerplate are relatively slim. Also, they will also just ignore most of the question, and focus the answer on the one policy point or attack they want to make.

Sounds about right.

I've been looking forward to this for months. I can't wait to see what goes down (though it will probably be boring because both men will be so well prepared, as others have said)

Gonna be playing a drinking game to it also. I just need to think of some good rules

deviljho

I've been looking forward to this for months. I can't wait to see what goes down (though it will probably be boring because both men will be so well prepared, as others have said)

Gonna be playing a drinking game to it also. I just need to think of some good rules

Any interruptions is a great place to get started.

Dude Abides

Banned

Drink whenever it gets boring. You'll be drunk in half an hour.

RDreamer

I'm really bummed I'll have to miss this. They just had to schedule it on my late work day, didn't they :(

You guys will have to keep me updated on here.

Cyan

Banned
No one's mentioned Obamaloney yet?

I hope Romney uses the term when he calls out Barry on all his lies.

Or, as another poster brilliantly worded it, "Obamaloney on lie." Hehehe.

deviljho

Or, as another poster brilliantly worded it, "Obamaloney on lie."

My bologna has a first name, it's O.B.A.M.A.

Let's all gather around the Book of Mormon and hold hands so that we may further lower expectations. And help disenfranchised voters along your merry way and shower them with glad tidings of Voter ID.

As I mentioned in the PoliGAF thread . . .

Mitt, if you use the line "Who ordered the Obamaloney on lie?" then I'll donate $10 to your campaign. Up to you big guy.

Am I a dickhead for not wanting to vote because I know Obama is going to win Illinois anyway?
If you're in a competitive district you should vote.

I live in MN and the presidential, senate, and house contests in my state are all but decided, I still voted to support Obama and also due to the constitutional amendments on the ballot (voter ID and gay marriage... woohoo).

DTKT

As a Canadian, I'm really interested in the debates. I think it's going to be first I'm really going to follow.

"Romney, you're opening remarks."

"Thank you. My fellow Americans, I care about the 100%. I may be wealthy now, but I wasn't when I was younger. I was so poor growing up if I wasn't a boy, I'd have had nothing to play with! And, like many teenagers, I was awkward. Awkward, I tell you. I was so ugly that I worked in a pet shop and people kept asking how big I'd get. My marriage wasn't always a storybook romance. Ann phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, nobody's home. "I went over. Nobody was home. And, sure, there was that incident with my dog, but you haven't heard the whole story. Some dog I got. We should have called him Egypt because in every room he leaves a pyramid. His favorite bone is in my arm. Last night he went on the paper four times - three of those times I was reading it. And, I know I've made some gaffs, but as you've heard Ann say, running for President is hard work. It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put a shirt on and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.

So, vote for me."

Volimar

Early voting started yesterday in Ohio. I'll be picking up as many family members as I can to drag them down to vote. It's never a sure thing. Make your voice count. Not only for President and Congress, but for local positions and Judges as well. And don't forget local ballot issues that need your attention!

Edit - If you live in a state where you can vote early, check out this link to find out where. http://www.barackobama.com/lookup

i'm not sure I can watch them talk for 45 minutes about economics

It will be broken up by Romney trying to keep a straight face about wanting to stop cheaters and people exporting jobs to China.

If you're in a competitive district you should vote.

I live in MN and the presidential, senate, and house contests in my state are all but decided, I still voted to support Obama and also due to the constitutional amendments on the ballot (voter ID and gay marriage... woohoo).

i live in new york city; the 14th district. my congresswoman generally wins reelection by between 75 and 85% of the vote. we all know how new york is voting for president. gillibrand may as well be running unopposed for all the chance her republican opponent has to beat her. state and local elections are the same way - overwhelmingly democratic.

the only remotely contentious race i can remember voting in was bloomberg's third mayoral run, when people were so pissed he changed the law to allow himself a third term that a lot of us voted for some no name who barely campaigned and spent no money as an alternative. ended up being a closer race than anyone predicted.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This gun be guuuuuuuuud. Can't wait to watch it, my coworker and I have been excited about the debate for a while now. And we don't even live in the US or are american. Hopefully Obama is attacking enough for Romney to be brutally embarassed/entertaining. Can't be all passive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom