• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
GBPss.png

I find this... interesting...
How Scottie and Walker are broke is mind boggling

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Allen Iverson squandered $154,000,000 and he's not even 40 yet?

what.png

A1Bny.png
mad.png
He didn't squander it (or at least not a good deal of it). A good chunk of the money is in a savings account that he can't touch until a certain age. It accumulates interest, and he gets a check of about a million a year from it.

An article was posted about it a while back.

Gilbert's doesn't look accurate. He signed a a $50 mil and a $100 mil contract. Or in those ballparks. Should be $150 mil then.

How Scottie and Walker are broke is mind boggling

Not really. I mean, it's absurdly stupid, but I can see how someone can squander $100 mil if they're an idiot and weak.

Players don't get paid as much in the 90s, and even less in the 80s. What's so crazy about it?

The real tragedy is Joe Johnson in the top 10.

Should also be noted that this is what Durant will make when his extension is over, not what he has made so far. So by then he will be at I think 9 years in the league going on 10.

MJ made like nothing until his final 2 or 3 seasons in the NBA, comparatively. Magic signed that $1 mil per year contract and it was groundbreaking.

Shaq was the golden age. He made bank. Yes KG and Kobe will surpass, but that's cuz they came out of HS.

Also, these are obviously unadjusted for inflation, so MJ $90 mil is worth more than those above him to some extent.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Should also be noted that this is what Durant will make when his extension is over, not what he has made so far. So by then he will be at I think 9 years in the league going on 10.

MJ made like nothing until his final 2 or 3 seasons in the NBA, comparatively. Magic signed that $1 mil per year contract and it was groundbreaking.

Shaq was the golden age. He made bank. Yes KG and Kobe will surpass, but that's cuz they came out of HS.

Also, these are obviously unadjusted for inflation, so MJ $90 mil is worth more than those above him to some extent.
If it makes everyone feel better, Mike got paid like $30 mil each in 97 and 98. It's what led to Reinsdorf ending the Bulls dynasty early, and pushing max contract limits.

linsivvi

Yep. This is how much MJ made over his career:

Season Team Lg Salary
1985-86 Chicago Bulls NBA $630,000
1987-88 Chicago Bulls NBA $845,000
1988-89 Chicago Bulls NBA $2,000,000
1990-91 Chicago Bulls NBA $2,500,000
1991-92 Chicago Bulls NBA $3,250,000
1992-93 Chicago Bulls NBA $4,000,000
1993-94 Chicago Bulls NBA $4,000,000
1994-95 Chicago Bulls NBA $3,850,000
1995-96 Chicago Bulls NBA $3,850,000
1996-97 Chicago Bulls NBA $30,140,000
1997-98 Chicago Bulls NBA $33,140,000
2001-02 Washington Wizards NBA $1,000,000
2002-03 Washington Wizards NBA $1,030,000
Career (may be incomplete) $90,235,000

Only 2 seasons where he actually made max player money in today's NBA. Jerry Reinsdorf is one hell of a businessmen.

Also you're right about Arena's figure being wrong. The chart mistakenly took the 2 last years off his contract when he was amnestied. That's another $45M on him and would put him into the top 15.

Blackace

Gilbert's doesn't look accurate. He signed a a $50 mil and a $100 mil contract. Or in those ballparks. Should be $150 mil then.

Not really. I mean, it's absurdly stupid, but I can see how someone can squander $100 mil if they're an idiot and weak.
Wasn't he waived?

Naw it's pretty mind boggling especially Scottie

Wasn't he waived?

waived players still get paid their guaranteed amount. Amnesty or waive, doesn't matter, unless there is a buyout agreement.

Also, if we assumed MJ earned $90 mil his final year in Chicago, adjusted for inflation it's over $125 mil in today's dollars.

Obviously, it's much higher than that since he didn't earn it all his final year, only $30 mil of it. 1/3 of his salary is pre-1997. Without actually bothering to do the math, I'd guess he approaches the $140-150 mil range in today's dollars. Not too shabby considering how low salaries were.

4% to agents, half to gov't, being stupid with real estate, giving money away, buying 20 cars and a jet. Doesn't take long.

Thx for reminding me what teams he was on. Prob why I only really remember him from college and maybe a couple of game...

E: Goes back and checks the stats....Dang can't believe I overlooked this dude. Prob because I saw him on teams that didn't go nowhere til his later years. Then again coming out same time as Kobe could of been the difference

Blackace

waived players still get paid their guaranteed amount. Amnesty or waive, doesn't matter, unless there is a buyout agreement.

Also, if we assumed MJ earned $90 mil his final year in Chicago, adjusted for inflation it's over $125 mil in today's dollars.

Obviously, it's much higher than that since he didn't earn it all his final year, only $30 mil of it. 1/3 of his salary is pre-1997. Without actually bothering to do the math, I'd guess he approaches the $140-150 mil range in today's dollars. Not too shabby considering how low salaries were.

4% to agents, half to gov't, being stupid with real estate, giving money away, buying 20 cars and a jet. Doesn't take long.
I understand they get their money but it doesn't count against the cap so that might have something to do with his money not adding up

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
GBPss.png

I find this... interesting...
The amount of bums on this list that got fucking paid is just.. depressing. It almost makes me feel sorry for the team owners. Almost.

And lol@ Joe Johnson. Or maybe we shouldn't be laughing? I mean, he's essentially the greatest basketball hustler that has ever laced up when you really think about it...

And boy do I have absolutely no sympathy for the people who went broke on that list. None. If you went bust you most likely fucking deserved it.

Blackace

The amount of bums on this list that got fucking paid is just.. depressing. It almost makes me feel sorry for the team owners. Almost.

And lol@ Joe Johnson. Or maybe we shouldn't be laughing? I mean, he's essentially the greatest basketball hustler that has ever laced up when you really think about it...

And boy do I have absolutely no sympathy for the people who went broke on that list. None. If you went bust you most likely fucking deserved it.

Don't feel sorry Just salty lol

Also in the top ten only JJ and Webber don't have rings and JJ still has a shot at one

look at how many players on that list were on Orlando.

Shaq
Dwight
Shard
Hedo
Gilbert
Hill
McGrady
J-Rich
Penny
Edid: And Vince. Thanks to sf2fanatic for pointing this out
Stevie Frnachise: thanks Moris
Big Ben Wallace

12 of the top 100. 2 Finals appearance, 0 titles. And the one who got paid the least was Shaq and Ben (by Orlando, I mean). El oh fucking el.

look at how many players on that list were on Orlando.

Shaq
Dwight
Shard
Hedo
Gilbert
Hill
McGrady
J-Rich
Penny

9 of the top 100. 2 Finals appearance, 0 titles. And the one who got paid the least was Shaq (by Orlando, I mean). El oh fucking el.

Vince Carter played in Orlando too....All big name players but nothing to show for...

Triple U

Banned
Players don't get paid as much in the 90s, and even less in the 80s. What's so crazy about it?
That's what is crazy about it. Players today are getting paid a lot more despite how bad the economy is compared to then, not to mention how the talent level is lower.

When MJ was playing, basketball interest and overall marketability was at an all time high. His Finals ratings still haven't been topped.

linsivvi

That's what is crazy about it. Players today are getting paid a lot more despite how bad the economy is compared to then, not to mention how the talent level is lower.

When MJ was playing, basketball interest and overall marketability was at an all time high. His Finals ratings still haven't been topped.

That's because players were being compensated unfairly until then. While there are some outrageous contracts, the players on the whole getting about 50% of the revenue is much fairer.

Building them up so that when they beat the best team on paper, they put the league on notice?
Yea... but I still wouldn't be able to call another team the best on paper if I was the defending champ or if I had led my team to the finals last season. But maybe that's just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom