• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Spazznid

11681912203_6057188a92_o.png

11682084674_4969a1444f_o.png

Sectus

2560x1440
ac4bfmp2013-12-2505-4mkiuu.png

1280x720 scaled from 2560x1440
ladyblack-montage0-00yidlw.png

Dunno if it's best to post scaled down screenshots or ones at native res.

There is no difference between JPG and PNG.... People in this thread need to get a grip.

NO DIFFERENCE - stop perpetrating that idiotic notion.

Here's a PNG, a JPG at 100% quality, then a JPG at 40% quality:

ac4png_by_realghostvids-d70awg2.png

ac4jpg2_by_realghostvids-d70awhv.jpg

ac4jpg_by_realghostvids-d70awg7.jpg

If the quality settings are right then yes, there's no difference between a PNG image and a JPG saved at 100% quality. Unfortunately there are some people who don't know that and that leads to things like massive BMPs or really lossy JPGs being posted.

For the sake of load times high quality JPGs should be used.

Spazznid

Unfortunately, the Snipers and Camera in Warframe adds some color effects, so these are a bit different than they should look.

11683737195_f306fb72ca_o.png

11683736085_b0d0851041_o.png

Spazznid

Please tell me that's the frame rate in the corner.

Are you not entertained?

You must be willing to sacrifice every frame in the pursuit of screenshots!

(Not sure if it is the FPS but I myself have gone as far to screenshot. You don't play the game that way, just change settings after camera placement)

Spazznid

Ow, it wasn't supposed to be displayed but yes, that's my frame rate. :(
I'm "playing" on an old laptop (i7 Q740M - GTX460M). :/

To be honest, I've never seen an FPS counter that needed to differentiate between FPS by decibels... I... I'm sorry, guy.

I know that pain, Used to have a shit PC. Then one day, I saved up all my money, and paid for a hooker. Now look at me, livin' life.

On a serious note, I DID have a crappy PC and I remember where I came from. Every time I get a new piece of hardware, I try to see how low I can make my FPS in Half-Life 2 go. Right now, I play Cinematic Mod, at 4K, with 8xSGSSAA, and forced Ambient Occlusion highest setting, and can get down to 20-30. There's got to be something more I can do...

Also, whilst playing Warframe at 4K, I was getting angry at how sluggish it felt. The framerate seemed like it was going at a dead slug's pace. I looked at my Fraps Counter and it was at 60 fps. I'm finally at that point where going so low as 60 fps can bother me during gameplay. I think it was Sethos who initially got me interested in 120+ fps, when he said "Once you go 120fps, you can't go back." I mean I can go to the single digits while screenshotting, but gameplay must be at 100+ or I'll feel like it's low.

More Warframe!

11684548093_ea041a3681_o.png

11684290575_c274f98ef5_o.png

FACE

Banned
Of all the unfunny memes that internet has spawned this doge crap has to rank amongst the worst.

This thread is going to be great, specially with all the "next-gen" stuff coming out this year(and some bits of Star Citizen).

itxaka

Defeatist
wow, day Z shots look incredibly good.

Is it still based off arma 2? Arma 2 should look incredible then!

Nebula

Understand that this isn't a request thread but if anyone has any shots/can take some shots in Fallout New Vegas' Old World Blues DLC It would be much appreciated.

It's my favourite DLC of all time and I'd love to have some wallpapers to use.

Thread title should have been 2014K, amirite? It's a shame we have no GPU ball breakers launching like soon like we did with Crysis 3 and BioShock last year :(

There is no difference between JPG and PNG.... People in this thread need to get a grip.

NO DIFFERENCE - stop perpetrating that idiotic notion.

Depending on quality settings used, there is. If you ask people to save in PNG it usually has a higher-level of quality than your average JPG.
------------------

JPEG quality 12 and progressive 5 passes in Photoshop looks identical to a PNG though.

AsianOni

http://abload.de/img/crazy-laughter7asez.gif

great shots :P[/QUOTE]

Thanks. :)

[quote="Spazznid, post: 95473339"]To be honest, I've never seen an FPS counter that needed to differentiate between FPS by decibels... I... I'm sorry, guy.

I know that pain, Used to have a shit PC. Then one day, I saved up all my money, and paid for a hooker. Now look at me, livin' life.

On a serious note, I DID have a crappy PC and I remember where I came from. Every time I get a new piece of hardware, I try to see how low I can make my FPS in Half-Life 2 go. Right now, I play Cinematic Mod, at 4K, with 8xSGSSAA, and forced Ambient Occlusion highest setting, and can get down to 20-30. There's got to be something more I can do...

Also, whilst playing Warframe at 4K, I was getting angry at how sluggish it felt. The framerate seemed like it was going at a dead slug's pace. I looked at my Fraps Counter and it was at 60 fps. I'm finally at that point where going so low as 60 fps can bother me during gameplay. I think it was Sethos who initially got me interested in 120+ fps, when he said "Once you go 120fps, you can't go back." I mean I can go to the single digits while screenshotting, but gameplay must be at 100+ or I'll feel like it's low.

More Warframe!

[IMG]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3814/11684548093_ea041a3681_o.png

[IMG]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3698/11684290575_c274f98ef5_o.png[/QUOTE]

I'm planning to upgrade my desktop computer but it's all I can do for now. :/
Those shots of Warframe are great!

Durante

So how much smaller is a PNG file compared to BMP? My last BMP pics in the previous thread came out at 10MB.
That depends on the image content. Anything from not smaller at all to a factor of 100 or more. Generally probably around factor 3 for most screenshots.

There's no reason to use bmp.

pixlexic

Banned
So how much smaller is a PNG file compared to BMP? My last BMP pics in the previous thread came out at 10MB.

you can compress a png just like jpg if you wanted. So it depends.. jpgs can have variable compression rates as well as no compression at all which a lot of people do not know..

The file size of either does not dictate the actual size in memory.

That depends on the image content. Anything from not smaller at all to a factor of 100 or more. Generally probably around factor 3 for most screenshots.

There's no reason to use bmp.

you can compress a png just like jpg if you wanted. So it depends.. jpgs can have variable compression rates as well as no compression at all which a lot of people do not know..

The file size of either does not dictate the actual size in memory.

So I assume PNG files are smaller, and there is no (notable) quality loss from BMP? I was informed there is a PNG output option in Fraps which I'll be using from now.

Durante

So I assume PNG files are smaller, and there is no (notable) quality loss from BMP? I was informed there is a PNG output option in Fraps which I'll be using from now.
There isn't just no noticeable quality loss, there is no quality loss at all. PNG is a lossless compression format, like a zip file. (outside of lossy png compressors, whic hare very rare)

Top Bottom