• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Draft |OT| Destroying careers before they start (if you're the first pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

1.gif

Lebron bait doe

Napier on LeBron: "If me going there helps him come back, it just betters our chances of being a complete team."

He knows.

I like this kid already.

DominoKid

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 1m
Tough for JMM. His case of stay vs. leave isn't typical of underclassmen. In all I've read, he has no regrets

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 7s
Could have been a lotto pick after frosh season. But he enjoyed three years of college and met his wife. Intrinsic value

Glad to see he's making the best of what's a shitty situation

good he got something out of staying.

outsida

Jeff Goodman. He's a fucking idiot hack. He thinks Doug McDermott is the second coming of Larry Bird, check his timeline, sucking up to him left and right. It's embarrassing.

Yeah, that's the jerk that said it. Trying to feed me those lies.

PBY

Banned
Riley: "I like veteran, mature players. I like to be around veteran, mature women like my wife."

The Don lol

Pimpwerx

Riley says Cole will compete for the job. Noted that Rio is a free agent. That probably doesn't bode too well for him returning. Said Bron had no influence, they just share the same taste in talent. Also said teams tried to extort him on the phone, trying to trade up. LOL. Someone should let Simmons know that. PEACE.

Riley says Cole will compete for the job. Noted that Rio is a free agent. That probably doesn't bode too well for him returning. Said Bron had no influence, they just share the same taste in talent. Also said teams tried to extort him on the phone, trying to trade up. LOL. Someone should let Simmons know that. PEACE.

As if Pat Riley would admit anything else. We all know who pulls the strings.

Vire

Further throwing Bucher's idiotic theory out the window. Cole is staying.

Knicks age, I'm pretty stoked with the picks. THANOS and Cleanthony were pretty great for how late they were, and theres a chance to sign Patrick Young afterwards since we went undrafted.

Phil doin work.

Pimpwerx

ESPN pulling some girlfriend morning show shit with getting someone to analyze the draft suits.

KD wakes up with 30 points. But hey, 6 years from now he might be great.
If Shabazz was a 1yr player, he'd never been picked by Pat, even if LeBron liked him. Also, he's been pegged as a Heat pick by many mock drafts, weeks before the LeBron love became known. It's just a coincidence. Napier and Cole were both 4 year players. He also shoots well and is great in pnr. Both qualities we need. PEACE.

BadAss2961

Who knows what to believe, your stance isn't unreasonable. BUT- it is a position of need, AND it is exactly the kind of guy pat likes- 4 year guy, "winner," personality-type, etc. etc.
It's one thing to pick him, but another to trade up to get him when he probably would've fallen to you anyway.

This was obviously an effort to please LeBron.

PBY

Banned
It's one thing to pick him, but another to trade up to get him when he probably would've fallen to you anyway.

We gave up so much for the pick.

Why do we engage you? Its such blatant trolling. I don't understand how you suck me into this black hole of lebron insanity.

Vire

Except he said he wouldn't of because teams knew they wanted him. People are shitting on MJ for "helping" the Heat, but all he was actually doing was extorting them and getting extra picks.

BadAss2961

We gave up so much for the pick.

Why do we engage you? Its such blatant trolling. I don't understand how you suck me into this black hole of lebron insanity.
Just think about it... Who trades up to get Shabazz Napier? lol

Since Houston was gonna take foreign stash, MJ was all that stood between you and a decent at best PG that LeBron happens to love.
Except he said he wouldn't of because teams knew they wanted him. People are shitting on MJ for "helping" the Heat, but all he was actually doing was extorting them and getting extra picks.

Exactly...

Vire

I don't even care if Shabazz ends up being garbage. If that means Lebron is happy, then I'm happy.

And if that means Chalmers being sent to Siberia, then fuck yes. Let's do this.

Exokell

Banned
Lebron wants Miami to spend money and not be fucking cheap. This kid ain't gonna sway lebron, we don't even know if he's gonna be good.

Pimpwerx

LeBron isn't hinging any part of his decision on the 24th pick in the draft.

"Yo D, CB...I wanted to give it another run, but Pat couldn't land Napier. So I'm going to go out West and lose to the Spurs before the Finals." LOL. PEACE.

Fjordson

Lebron wants Miami to spend money and not be fucking cheap. This kid ain't gonna sway lebron, we don't even know if he's gonna be good.
Agreed.

Napier is not that good :lol a nice college title bump going into the draft and a great career at UConn, but he will not change Miami or any other pro team in any meaningful way.

BadAss2961

Agreed.

Napier is not that good :lol a nice college title bump going into the draft and a great career at UConn, but he will not change Miami or any other pro team in any meaningful way.
Now imagine how Pat and the rest of management will feel if LeBron up and leaves while they're left with bullshit they got for him. Then they'll have an idea of how Cleveland felt.

Sandfox

I'm really happy with what the Lakers pulled off in the draft. We got two players I really like, and I can't wait to see them play in two weeks.

Fjordson

ESPN talking up Golden State and Love again big time. Saying both sides are motivated to get a deal done eventually and that out of the 15+ teams calling Minny to figure out how to get Love, Golden State is the only one they've really kept up deep discussions with.

Shit I hope this happens. I hate losing Klay and it may be a miserable failure, but I think we need to roll the dice and at least try it. The franchise has been mediocre for a long time, need to jump on the opportunity of bringing in a top player.

i live in australia so i am completely clueless about college ball - how good/bad were the celtics' picks?
Marcus Smart was a decent pick, but I'm not sure what it means for Rondo since he plays point. He's a big guard so he could play the 2, but he's super inconsistent with his jumper so I'm not sure if that would work. He needs to improve on that for sure, but he's solid. Physically ready for the league, a good rebounder for a guard, can get to the rim and finish and he's a fantastic defender.

James Young was really nice value at 17. Legit 6-6 with a 7-foot wing span. He can slash and finish, is a good rebounder and has a nice 3 point stroke. Didn't shoot a great percentage, but that was mostly due to unimaginative offensive sets and poor shot selection. With better players around him and a better offensive scheme I think he'll be a lot more consistent from the outside. His mechanics are smooth and he usually hit when he got a good look. He can also dunk:

jyoung.gif

I like both of Boston's picks, but again not sure how Smart fits with Rondo and Bradley.

I'm really happy with what the Lakers pulled off in the draft. We got two players I really like, and I can't wait to see them play in two weeks.
Thought LA had a really solid draft as well. I think Randle will be one of the most productive rookies next year and Clarkson was good value at where they got him. He always looked good in the Mizzou games I saw, remember watching him torch Kentucky for 30 points late in the season.

TheFatOne

ESPN talking up Golden State and Love again big time. Saying both sides are motivated to get a deal done eventually and that out of the 15+ teams calling Minny to figure out how to get Love, Golden State is the only one they've really kept up deep discussions with.

Shit I hope this happens. I hate losing Klay and it may be a miserable failure, but I think we need to roll the dice and at least try it. The franchise has been mediocre for a long time, need to jump on the opportunity of bringing in a top player.

Marcus Smart was a decent pick, but I'm not sure what it means for Rondo since he plays point. He's a big guard so he could play the 2, but he's super inconsistent with his jumper so I'm not sure if that would work. He needs to improve on that for sure, but he's solid. Physically ready for the league, a good rebounder for a guard, can get to the rim and finish and he's a fantastic defender.

James Young was really nice value at 17. Legit 6-6 with a 7-foot wing span. He can slash and finish, is a good rebounder and has a nice 3 point stroke. Didn't shoot a great percentage, but that was mostly due to unimaginative offensive sets and poor shot selection. With better players around him and a better offensive scheme I think he'll be a lot more consistent from the outside. His mechanics are smooth and he usually hit when he got a good look. He can also dunk:

jyoung.gif

I like both of Boston's picks, but again not sure how Smart fits with Rondo and Bradley.

Thought LA had a really solid draft as well. I think Randle will be one of the most productive rookies next year and Clarkson was good value at where they got him. He always looked good in the Mizzou games I saw, remember watching him torch Kentucky for 30 points late in the season.
Boston would have traded Rondo a while ago had he not gotten hurt. You hear about them moving him all the time and now that they picked a pg in the top ten he's gone. No shot Rondo is with this team this upcoming year and I'm glad. He's a solid player. Just not one you can build a team around.

jakncoke

Banned
I know its the only the 2nd round, and he probably wont succeed. But congrats to Lamar Patterson on getting drafted. Even if he has to play for the Bucks. I wonder if Zanna can get some 15 day contracts next year or if he'll end up in the NBDL or some Europe team or even some Nigerian pro league.

Agreed.

At this point, i'm pretty sure that if you put a blindfold on him, bind his hands together, and replace his favorite pair of shoes with cement blocks he'll still be a net gain compared to Chalmers.

Read up and watched some videos on Jordan Clarkson and he seems to be a decent prospect. I was worried he was just another Darius Morris or any other number of guards the Lakers have grabbed late in drafts recently but he's a really above average athlete which I think can set him apart, and he's got a great handle. Still a 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder but with a draft as deep as this one I think odds are higher you can end up with a gem. He's gonna need to focus and work hard on his D though.

Knicks age, I'm pretty stoked with the picks. THANOS and Cleanthony were pretty great for how late they were, and theres a chance to sign Patrick Young afterwards since we went undrafted.

Phil doin work.

I like the prospects we got. Larkin was a first rounder last year, and I think he'll be a great role player ala Nate Robinson or Barea in this league. Greek Freak Sr. is raw as hell, but he's a specimen just like his brother. With more development time, he could be like a super-Shump (which would be perfect). Early is a great pick in the 2nd round - 1st round talent, and a polished scorer with good size. If Melo comes back, he could be a great backup for him. Labeyrie is a Euro stash pick, and even if he's complete trash he'll serve well as filler.

We still have Jeremy Tyler, Toure Murry and CJ Leslie as young developing players as well...and we'll probably pick up some undrafted guys to play in Summer League (hopefully Patric Young is one of them). Right now, I'm happy with what PJax is doing!

Pimpwerx

Now imagine how Pat and the rest of management will feel if LeBron up and leaves while they're left with bullshit they got for him. Then they'll have an idea of how Cleveland felt.
They didn't get him for LeBron. Saying it repeatedly won't make it true. We all agree LeBron isn't staying based on a pick, so why wouldn't Riley? Napier is a Riley guy. It's obvious. PEACE.

BadAss2961

They didn't get him for LeBron. Saying it repeatedly won't make it true. We all agree LeBron isn't staying based on a pick, so why wouldn't Riley? Napier is a Riley guy. It's obvious. PEACE.
You can't honestly believe they'd trade up just 2 spots to get Napier otherwise. Neither Charlotte nor Houston would've wanted him, but Miami felt they had to MAKE SURE for some reason.

LeBron's wishlist is the only explanation for that move.

Boston would have traded Rondo a while ago had he not gotten hurt. You hear about them moving him all the time and now that they picked a pg in the top ten he's gone. No shot Rondo is with this team this upcoming year and I'm glad. He's a solid player. Just not one you can build a team around.

Marcus Smart is not a point guard. He's probably going to end up being a better version of Tony Allen (better handles). Perfect combo guard, and I think Smart will develop a decent > good jumpshot in the NBA. His mechanics and arc are fine. He just needs consistency and better shot selection, which should be worked out at the NBA level. He shot 35% from 3 at the right wing, and 45% on open shots.

If anything, I have more confidence in them attempting to keep Rondo for now. There is still a whole offseason left and who knows if the Celtics pull a player like Gortat and/or Love still. It's all up in the air.

Rondo being in trade discussions for years means nothing. Ainge does that with every player. He's always calling to check his value, and the only player Ainge was willing to trade Rondo for in his whole career thus far has been Chris Paul (obviously). Rondo has never realistically been in any other trade discussion.

Sandfox

Read up and watched some videos on Jordan Clarkson and he seems to be a decent prospect. I was worried he was just another Darius Morris or any other number of guards the Lakers have grabbed late in drafts recently but he's a really above average athlete which I think can set him apart, and he's got a great handle. Still a 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder but with a draft as deep as this one I think odds are higher you can end up with a gem. He's gonna need to focus and work hard on his D though.

He was actually projected to be a mid first round pick and ended up slipping to us.

Pimpwerx

You can't honestly believe they'd trade up just 2 spots to get Napier otherwise. Neither Charlotte nor Houston would've wanted him, but Miami felt they had to MAKE SURE for some reason.

LeBron's wishlist is the only explanation for that move.
Traded up 2 places to get Cole 3 years ago. Napier is essentially Cole with s better jumper from a bigger conference.

LeBron is going to stay because of who Pat can sign in free agency. The draft means nothing. Napier isn't light years better than what we have. He sire hasn't proven that. If the rest of the roster stays unchanged and we only sap Rio for Napier, is LeBron going to be happy? Free agency is where the team will be retooled. Our draft picks are never high enough to be impact guys. I want the best for Napier, but my expectations are a solid role player or decent starter. Someone looking to win championships now isn't pinning their hopes on a midround rookie.

Anyway, it's the last time I explain it, as others have tried unsuccessfully. He is a Riley guy from his defense, to his championship experience. The most telling thing is he is a 4yr guy. How many years was Cole? Hamilton? Haslem? Wade? See a pattern there? Wright was straight from high school, and Beasley was a sophomore (an immature one at that), and Riley regrets both of them. He even said it last night about Dorrell. He said he should've taken Jameer instead. He doesn't like young players. Napier was going to be high on Riley's draft board just for that fact. Heat fans have learned to accept this as the situation, so the draft is rarely a big deal for us. He loves trading picks too. He builds through FA, not the draft.

It's possible LeBron looked at Napier's traits and realized it was possible for Pat to draft him, and he voiced his opinion in favor that way. However, if Napier wasn't a college lifer, and didn't have leadership qualities, he wouldn't be in Miami now. Riley is somewhat predictable in that regard, which is probably why various mocks had us taking Shabazz long before anyone knew LeBron wanted him. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom