• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

If I may have a moment to admit my stupidity.

For 20+ years now, I always assumed that the LA Clippers were named as such because they were named after barbershop clippers.

QRCohBK.jpg

I sort of assumed as such because when I started watching basketball, that's the only real reference I had. Plus, their logo doesn't really suggest otherwise and their colors (red, white & blue) reminded me of:

Md3G1wY.jpg

As such, I've always felt like they had the worst name in the NBA. Who names their franchise after hair clippers? FFS. So I'm reading tonight out of boredom...and find out they're actually named after the fucking ships.

I3r1zpo.jpg

"A contest decided on Clippers because the city was known for the great sailing ships that passed through San Diego Bay. When the Clippers moved to Los Angeles in 1984, they kept their nickname."

and their original logo after the move was:

Y6J9MIS.jpg

Clearly sails and a setting sun.

Considering how epic clipper ships were, why did they chose to make their logos and paraphernalia so antiseptic? I mean there is nothing that references boats of any kind anywhere. Feels like a missed opportunity.

Anyway, just wanted to share. In case someone else was a dumb as me.

That Raptors game was too much fun to watch. Noguiera & Bruno better enjoy those minutes they had on the court because the next few road games are tough and they will be bench warming.

I feel bad for Melo & the knicks.
KuGsj.gif

Bowser

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 5m5 minutes ago
The Detroit Pistons have just announced the release of Josh Smith. Stunning

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m3 minutes ago
The same Josh Smith, folks, who is owed $26 million over the next two seasons AFTER this one. Released by Stan Van Gundy just now

LMAO

The same Josh Smith, folks, who is owed $26 million over the next two seasons AFTER this one. Released by Stan Van Gundy just now

LMAO

Ayyyy Lmao.

Taken out like trash.

Fjordson

LMAO
Holy shit. Stan fed up.

Soonri

Josh Smith is good friends with Rondo. May be a fit in Dallas coming off the bench
He's also old friends with Dwight.

I dunno, he fits on paper with Mavs but I don't want another spacing challenge with Smith... Plus Cubes can only offer him the minimum.

zychi

Banned
He's also old friends with Dwight.

I dunno, he fits on paper with Mavs but I don't want another spacing challenge with Smith... Plus Cubes can only offer him the minimum.

Dont need to offer him much if Det is payig his ass $26 mil lol

Fjordson

I'm not always clear on the business side of things. So Detroit has to eat that 26 million? Even if he gets picked up by another team?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Another brilliant Dumars signing.

LOL...I said the dude was overpaid and not a team player...but damn Detroit. The Lakers would have traded someone for him.

He looked useless in the 3 games I watched of Detroits this year.

Why would they release him as opposed to trading him even if it was a lop-sided trade?

Like his former teammate Joe Johnson, who takes that contract without demanding picks in return? And what team that is one piece away has that kind of money? Why would Detroit take on a replacement salary with no hope of making the playoffs? Sometimes taking the L is the only way to escape the cycle of mediocrity.

Fjordson

Why would they release him as opposed to trading him even if it was a lop-sided trade?
This is all according to Adrian Wojnarowski and Zach Lowe on twitter but:

No one was biting, save for a few really bad offers with bad contracts.

For example, they tried to dump him onto Sacramento, but they would have had to give up draft picks and take on some bad contracts. Internally Detroit must have calculated that that was worse for their rebuild than just paying Smith on a stretch provision (5.4 mill per for the next 5 years).

Lubricus

Josh Smith got waived bwahahaha, I think he still salvageable in right spot but man.. his insistence in taking long shot.

The body of a big and the heart of a small. Atlanta tried to get him to go to the basket, at least get some fouls. No, he wanted that 16 foot jumper.

Two Words

If Smith clears waivers, I expect him to go to Houston since he will be able to start there, as opposed to coming off the bench for the Mavs, Clippers or Heat. But the Heat have a very defined offense where Harden and Howard dominate the bal. I think Smitth would be better coming off the bench on the Mavs or Clippers and dominating on the second unit.

charsace

JChucker getting cut brought me back to this thread. That one Utah fan used to be in love with this guy. Now cut like the chucker scrub I always knew he would become. million dollars US athletic abilities and a half a Rouble brain. If NBA teams are smart they won't bite and this guy will rot in Puerto Rico.

Man the Rockets don't need him like people think. Houston has some solid PF if they get healthy. Terrence Jones was a beast early in the season, and the rookies are no scrubs.

Good first quarter for the rockets. Brewers looking good but he probably shouldn't foul last second shots like that and give them a free 3 points lol. Hardens on pace to having another great game, as usual.

Edit: and one for Brewer! Great stuff.

God fucking damn. 31 points for Harden at the half. And five steals. Incredible play and a great bounce back for the rockets as a whole from the last few games.

Also, LOL at Howard diving into the crowd and giving that guy a hug. Someone needs to gif that.

Soonri

Woof. 33% shooting from the Mavs in the first half. Aminu must be horrid in practice, because Richard Jefferson has been a turnstile and is still playing.

Top Bottom