• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Emmy Award Nominees

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were Mr. Emmy in charge of the Emmys, I would've gone with:

Drama (knowing that Hannibal was not eligible):

Better Call Saul
The Americans
Rectify
Mad Men
The Knick
Orange is the New Black
The Good Wife

Comedy:

Broad City
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Jane the Virgin
Transparent
Getting On
You're the Worst
Veep

I have to say that that that would be a terrible group of nominations for comedy.

Verger

Banned
Glad that Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks were nominated. :)

I'd love if Bob won but I am expecting the Emmy's to finally award Jon Hamm, because it'll be such a snub if they deny him one last time.

Banks needs to win though for his amazing performance in ep "Five-0"

ivysaur12

Banned
I have to say that that that would be a terrible group of nominations for comedy.

And I think it would be the best list. There are 250 scripted shows now. Of those that qualify for comedy, I thought those 7 were the best. That's why something will always get snubbed!

I think Modern Family is finally going to lose this year for Comedy. It doesn't have any noms in Directing or Writing.

Yeah, I think Transparent or Kimmy have the most momentum going into this.

Javier

Usually the Animation categories are the ones that catch my attention the most, so here they are for those interested:

Outstanding Animated Program
- Archer, "Pocket Listing"
- Bob's Burgers, "Can't Buy Me Math"
- Over the Garden Wall
- The Simpsons, "Treehouse of Horror XXV"
- South Park, "Freemium Isn't Free"

Outstanding Short-Format Animated Program
- Adventure Time, "Jake the Brick"
- Disney Mickey Mouse "Mumbai Madness"
- Regular Show, "The White Elephant Gift Exchange"
- Robot Chicken, "Chiptole Miserable"
- Steven Universe, "Lion 3: Straight to Video"
- Wander Over Yonder, "The Gift 2: The Giftening"

Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance
- John Roberts, "Bob's Burgers" (Episode "Eat, Spray, Linda")
- Seth MacFarlane, "Family Guy" (Episode "Our Idiot Brian")
- Seth Green, "Robot Chicken" (Episode "Victoria's Secret of Nymph")
- Dan Castellaneta, "The Simpsons" (Episode "Bart's New Friend")
- Tress MacNeille, "The Simpsons" (Episode "My Fare Lady")
- Hank Azaria, "The Simpsons" (Episode "The Princess Guide")

T.O.P

Banned
The Knick should win all the prizes, all of them

And no Hannibal, fuck 'em

I'll root for Amy Poehler and Parks And Rec tho

Jigorath

Banned
I'm happy to see all the nominations for Better Call Saul and Bloodline. And I'm pretty shocked at Tatiana Maslany actually breaking in. Too bad there was so little for Boardwalk Empire, but I guess everyone already forgot it's existence.

Wow, a total Jane the Virgin shut-out.

Utter bollocks, this.

EDIT: But yay at Tatiana Maslany (best actress) and So You Think You Can Dance (best reality program)!

Freaking finally.

Not great, but much better than I expected them to be.

Tatiana Maslany finally getting nominated is glorious. Nice to see Better Call Saul do well. Homeland was pretty great though I don't think I would call it one of the best dramas of the year. I would have liked to have seen Penny Dreadful get some nominations, but I'm not surprised that it didn't. Most of the other snubs were similarly expected. Rectify may be the best show on television but it's never getting any nominations.

If Game of Thrones wins anything for that terrible season I will be cackling with laughter. Ditto for the mostly godawful final season of Parks and only two good seasons Recreation.

I hope Mad Men's cast continues its perfect streak of no wins. Set that record Emmy voters, you know you want to. Transparent is great, but holy shit is it not a comedy. Silicon Valley deserves to win out of the nominees.

The best part of these nominations? Once again watching fans of The Americans hopes and dreams mostly crushed. If only critical overrating was the sole nominating criteria, then your mediocre show would win every single award ever. Oh and you can repeat that for The (dull as dishwater) Knick as well.

Blader

Banks killed in the Mike-centric episode of BCS, but Mendelsohn was fantastic across the entire season of Bloodline. I'll be shocked and a little disappointed if he doesn't nab the supporting Emmy.

Jigorath

Banned
Mendelsohn is a major reason why Bloodline was so good this season. Dude was lapping circles around the rest of the cast. Give him an Emmy. And give Hamm an award finally. And don't give anything to GoT. We mustn't reward mediocrity.

Hystzen

Mad Men should wrap this up finish season was hit and miss but as a whole it been a amazing show.

No Justified makes me sad as the final season was incredible and a great finale episode

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, Broad City not getting a nom is abhorrent to me. That show is manna for my soul. This season had pegging, bingo bronson, and Val. Come on.

Quick

Banned
Tatiana Maslany!

giphy.gif

The lack of Broad City is disappointing. But Kimmy Schmidt in in though.

Still no nominations for Hannibal, the ultimate injustice of the Emmy awards. Mads should've at least been given a nom for his role as Hannibal.

Hystzen

I hate fact Peter Dinkalage seems be only member of GOT who they ever bother to notice. The dude has been on auto pilot since season 2 yeah he good but he same as RDJ as Tony Stark now he doing it while asleep. Meanwhile what Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has done with Jaime is incredible he been dominating the screen since season 2 even pulled off the whole character you hate but grow to like arc perfectly.

The season finale of Louie should have been nominated for directing, not Sleepover. The civil war dress up scene is probably my favorite scene of television this year.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Meanwhile what Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has done with Jaime is incredible he been dominating the screen since season 2 even pulled off the whole character you hate but grow to like arc perfectly.

Nominating him would have required acknowledging his existence in season five though.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Michael McKean got snubbed hard. Should've been nominated for that brutal scene with Jimmy in Episode 9 of Better Call Saul

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I hate fact Peter Dinkalage seems be only member of GOT who they ever bother to notice. The dude has been on auto pilot since season 2 yeah he good but he same as RDJ as Tony Stark now he doing it while asleep. Meanwhile what Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has done with Jaime is incredible he been dominating the screen since season 2 even pulled off the whole character you hate but grow to like arc perfectly.
Charles Dance getting snubbed last season was a travshamockery. The show should not be on best drama either this year, it mostly sucked.

Good to see Bloodline get some nods, especially Mendehlson, but would have liked to have seen a best drama nod too. That show was top notch.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Nightingale and Olive Kitteredge were equally terrific. Oyelowo gave the best performance of the year to me, but it's probably not most people's cup of tea.

Not

Banned
Usually the Animation categories are the ones that catch my attention the most, so here they are for those interested:

Outstanding Animated Program
- Archer, "Pocket Listing"
- Bob's Burgers, "Can't Buy Me Math"
- Over the Garden Wall
- The Simpsons, "Treehouse of Horror XXV"
- South Park, "Freemium Isn't Free"

Outstanding Short-Format Animated Program
- Adventure Time, "Jake the Brick"
- Disney Mickey Mouse "Mumbai Madness"
- Regular Show, "The White Elephant Gift Exchange"
- Robot Chicken, "Chiptole Miserable"
- Steven Universe, "Lion 3: Straight to Video"
- Wander Over Yonder, "The Gift 2: The Giftening"

Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance
- John Roberts, "Bob's Burgers" (Episode "Eat, Spray, Linda")
- Seth MacFarlane, "Family Guy" (Episode "Our Idiot Brian")
- Seth Green, "Robot Chicken" (Episode "Victoria's Secret of Nymph")
- Dan Castellaneta, "The Simpsons" (Episode "Bart's New Friend")
- Tress MacNeille, "The Simpsons" (Episode "My Fare Lady")
- Hank Azaria, "The Simpsons" (Episode "The Princess Guide")

Good for OTGW. And at least Steven Universe got something

Oddduck

For those who were wondering what emmys the comic book shows were nominated for...

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/16/constantine-daredevil-the-flash-gotham-agents-of-s-h-i-el-d-scor/

Gotham (4 Nominations):
Outstanding Costumes for a Contemporary Series, Limited Series, or Movie.
Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary or Fantasy Program(hour or more).
Outstanding Visual Effects in a Supporting Role.
Outstanding Sound Editing.

Daredevil (3 Nominations):
Outstanding Visual Effects in a Supporting Role.
Outstanding Sound Editing.
Outstanding Main Title Design.

Agents of SHIELD (1 Nomination):
Outstanding Visual Effects.

The Flash (1 Nomination):
Outstanding Visual Effects.

Constantine (1 Nomination):
Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary or Fantasy Program(hour or more).

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
It's a joke that Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell don't get any love for their superb performances again. On the other hand Margo Martindale seriously gets a nomination for being on screen for a couple of minutes in the same show.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If I were Mr. Emmy in charge of the Emmys, I would've gone with:

Drama (knowing that Hannibal was not eligible):

Better Call Saul
The Americans
Rectify
Mad Men
The Knick
Orange is the New Black
The Good Wife

Comedy:

Broad City
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Jane the Virgin
Transparent
Getting On
You're the Worst
Veep

What a good list.

Thoughts.

- No Olyphant? No Goggins? No Justified? Lol. Actors and the show itself are better than half of the nominees. At least.

- Chandler? Hahahahaha. One of the worst performances i've seen recently. Got nominated only for his name.

- Mendelsohn YESSSSS. He's pretty much the only reason to watch Bloodline. And again, Chandler? Lol.

- Lead Actor in a Comedy is so good this year. No Parsons, who shouldn't be there in the first place. Instead we have Anthony Anderson who's really good in Black-ish, Don Cheadle who has been spectacular for years and William H. Macy who's amazing.

- I wanted Frank Grillo and Jonathan Tucker to get nominations for Kingdom, but it's more of a dream right now, unfortunately.

- Would've been good if Steve Zissis and Amanda Peet got nominated.

Euron

Nominating him would have required acknowledging his existence in season five though.
Entirely the fault of the writers. NCW had to work with what he was given. I doubt Idris Elba could have made Dorne good. The Emmys always snub the best actors on Thrones anyway like Charles Dance, Pedro Pascal, Alfie Allen, and now Jonathan Pryce.

Though none of this is going to matter because Better Call Saul will sweep the awards. But I need to point out that House of Cards getting nominated is laughable. It had a few great moments in the first half of the season and I really liked Petrov but it fell apart towards the end and is clearly being dragged on now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hard to believe The Americans has been so overlooked in awards, what's the hang up? Low ratings?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Some of those main categories have some incredibly lazy nominations.

Also, I'm increasingly convinced that Showtime is engaging in shenanigans, because they get a lot of their utterly mediocre nonsense nominated.

Hard to believe The Americans has been so overlooked in awards, what's the hang up? Low ratings?
Why nominate The Americans when you can celebrate Homeland: S4 embracing its descent into trash by transforming into 24?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom