• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wisconsin may have lost the final, but I thought being the only team to beat Kentucky this year is a pretty good achievement.

I will continue to dream the impossible, an all ACC final four, lol :)

It's kinda possible next year. Virginia and UNC should both be top 5 teams (In fact it wouldn't surprise me if UVa was preseason no.1).

Syracuse will be a disaster but in theory its possible that someone out of Duke, Louisville, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh makes a surprise run.

Yeah Wisconsin should hold their heads high after this season. Unfortunately for them, most people will only remember the last ten minutes of the season where they let a national championship slip through their grasp.

OK, real talk, I was hoping Duke would face Kentucky in the final and Okafor would step on somebody, and Laettner would be sitting courtside with a sinister grin.

And then the nWo theme music would start playing.

Oh well, maybe some other year.

Zalasta

It's kinda possible next year. Virginia and UNC should both be top 5 teams (In fact it wouldn't surprise me if UVa was preseason no.1).

Well, I thought it really had a good shot in this tournament. Notre Dame and Louisville just couldn't hold on to the lead in the last few minutes, which would've made it 3/4 ACC if they both won their respective games. As for UNC, they also couldn't put away Wisconsin, but who knows if they would've beat Arizona after. Anyway, better luck next year.

Congrats to Big Em for winning the GAF Bracket Challenge!

Your prize is...bragging rights!

Has anyone done an offseason thread.....is there a need for an off season thread?

Nah, we can just retreat to the 2014/15 Community thread for recruiting/coaching news

Also Grayson ascended to the Throne of Most Hated Kid in America a season ahead of schedule. We need to go to Maryland in the ACC/B1G Challenge next year to complete his coronation.

Fjordson

Interesting to see the media talk up K for adapting to the one and done thing. Whereas Cal was the villain :lol

Also haven't seen writers describing Duke's freshmen as "mercenaries" which is a favourite term among the Cal-haters in the media.

Shocking News: college sports writers are turrible.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Interesting to see the media talk up K for adapting to the one and done thing. Whereas Cal was the villain :lol

Also haven't seen writers describing Duke's freshmen as "mercenaries" which is a favourite term among the Cal-haters in the media.

Shocking News: college sports writers are turrible.

They just build on pre-established storylines because they are lazy. Cal is a "cheat" because of Memphis and Umass, and UK has its own history, so naturally you bring the two together and you talk about how the game's integrity is ruined by 1 and dones and other players that leave early. Other schools do it too? But thats not the story.

In retrospect, I hate how the end of the UK/Wiscy game ended because thats what fans will take from it, not the other 38 games where UK came correct.

Our game is the same way. Everyone will point to the two awful calls at the end, even though Duke had a 5 pt lead then, and they weren't any more egregious than the shot clock violation Wisconsin got away with the game before. But the story is K works the officials, so they are scared of him and call things his way.

Why didn't those refs help us vs Mercer or Lehigh? Why did they keep calling fouls on every big Duke had in 2004 in the last 3 minutes vs Emeka Okafor and Uconn? Nobody wants an even evaluation or analysis. They want a something that supports their perception of reality.

They just build on pre-established storylines because they are lazy. Cal is a "cheat" because of Memphis and Umass, and UK has its own history, so naturally you bring the two together and you talk about how the game's integrity is ruined by 1 and dones and other players that leave early. Other schools do it too? But thats not the story.

In retrospect, I hate how the end of the UK/Wiscy game ended because thats what fans will take from it, not the other 38 games where UK came correct.

Our game is the same way. Everyone will point to the two awful calls at the end, even though Duke had a 5 pt lead then, and they weren't any more egregious than the shot clock violation Wisconsin got away with the game before. But the story is K works the officials, so they are scared of him and call things his way.

Why didn't those refs help us vs Mercer or Lehigh? Why did they keep calling fouls on every big Duke had in 2004 in the last 3 minutes vs Emeka Okafor and Uconn? Nobody wants an even evaluation or analysis. They want a something that supports their perception of reality.

Blaming refs is like telling people you lost a fight because you were suckerpunched. If you do this, you are right, but nobody cares at the end of the day. "Whatever, whiner." SMH

Fjordson

Yeah, it's a shame. But oh well, haters shall hate.

Duke won because of its turnaround on D and their great guard play. Like even if UK had played Duke, I'm not sure the result would have been different because I'm not sure our perimeter guys would have been up to the task. Jones and Allen came up huge and even Matt Jones looked really good on D last night. Plus you have Winslow being Winslow.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think part of the issue is Duke had the least compelling storyline of any of the Final Four. I'm not saying underrated, or any of that, but they were the least talked about.

UK- is self explanatory. 38-0 chasing history
Wisconsin- team full of upper classmen, does things the right way, Bo Ryan's championship dream is (unfortunately) running out of time. Has the personnel to stop UK
MSU- Izzo has another unexpected team pulling a March run. Can they be this year's Uconn and come out of nowhere and steal this thing?
Duke- ehh...that Okafor kid is pretty good. They lost to Mercer and Lehigh with 1 and done talent so how far can they be trusted?

Objectively, Duke was the least interesting team left. Even I think the 2010 team is a much better story.

Fjordson

I think part of the issue is Duke had the least compelling storyline of any of the Final Four. I'm not saying underrated, or any of that, but they were the least talked about.
That's actually not far off probably. Which seems to weird to say about Duke (Duke with the potential #1 pick no less) but the others were maybe more unique.

old

Laughing at all of the wisconsin fans whining about officiating. They didn't seem to think KY had a legitimate grievance against the 4 free points Wisconsin got Saturday with the non-established shooter and the shot-clock violation.

You live by bad officiating then you sink by bad officiating. Your whines fall on deaf ears.

bill0527

Its hard to defend Cal with facts, because usually where there is smoke there is fire, but the fact is, as far as I could find, the only infraction Calipari has committed was letting Derrick Rose's brother ride the team plane when he was at Memphis.

Portions of the official NCAA report on UMASS completely exonerated Calipari with the agent that paid Camby even stating that Calipari was an innocent vicitim in the whole ordeal.

At one point in his career, he wasn't afraid to go after a certain kind of player, usually a troubled but gifted inner city kid who had a sketchy past and two of these players ended up biting him in the ass and tainting his career - Camby and Rose.

Do I think he's shady? Yeah I think he's a slick, very gifted salesman who says anything and everything if he thinks it sounds good coming out of his mouth. Its also a fact he left two schools on probation which just reeks of shadiness, instead of sticking it out and taking the punishment with the schools since the transgressions happened on his watch. But on the other hand, and how this happened is a mystery, when he left each of those schools, it was to take much better jobs. This is his argument. Its not like he left to take to take lateral positions or take whatever he could get in order to get the hell out of town away from the scandals. He went to the NBA after UMASS and Kentucky after Memphis, both of which were a big step up for him.

Who knows, 5 years after his run at Kentucky, there might be 100 violations he's left in his wake. I know his detractors honestly believe that will be the case. I'm not so sure though because since 1989, and being threatened with the death penalty, UK has built a compliance department that seems to triple check everything.

Would be funny to see the national media's reaction had Cal come out and scolded the refs after the missed shot clock violation (that was much more pivotal in determining the end of the UK-Sconi game than the Winslow play last night was btw) like Bo came after the refs last night.

Was the officiating bad down the stretch last night? Yes. It was bad in the beginning of the game too. College refs are terrible and they showed that yet again last night. But one team fought through it and the other turned to mush in the end after taking a nine point lead. Sorry Bo.

EDIT: Nah UK will be good after Shady leaves. Sandy Bell is the best in the compliance biz

People said CBS might cry after losing out on a potential Duke/Kentucky matchup, but then, they're probably not crying much.

Last night's championship game got the highest overnight rating since 1997 (Arizona over Kentucky), and was up 33% over last year's game (UConn over Kentucky).

The common theme here? Kentucky losing.

Cheap shot. Sorry, Fjordson.

Clearos

People said CBS might cry after losing out on a potential Duke/Kentucky matchup, but then, they're probably not crying much.

Last night's championship game got the highest overnight rating since 1997 (Arizona over Kentucky), and was up 33% over last year's game (UConn over Kentucky).

The common theme here? Kentucky losing.

Cheap shot. Sorry, Fjordson.

Surprised the viewers were 33% higher from last year. I would think UCONN's run out of no where would of pulled on the underdog strings.

Feels so good to finally meet up with UNC again in titles. And go back ahead of UConn because fuck them.

The 5+ club is where it's at.

UNC may very well get no. 6 next year though. Damn they're going to whoop our ass twice :(. But we'll worry about that in October. Time to cherish this one

EDIT: Holy shit

Chad FordVerified account
‏@chadfordinsider
Getting lots of positive feedback on Grayson Allen from NBA folks today in prep for new Big Board. Might be a 1st rounder if he declares

Bowser

Feels so good to finally meet up with UNC again in titles. And go back ahead of UConn because fuck them.

The 5+ club is where it's at.

UNC may very well get no. 6 next year though. Damn they're going to whoop our ass twice :(. But we'll worry about that in October. Time to cherish this one

EDIT: Holy shit

Chad FordVerified account
‏@chadfordinsider
Getting lots of positive feedback on Grayson Allen from NBA folks today in prep for new Big Board. Might be a 1st rounder if he declares

You should see the IC boards...doom and gloom. UNC is finished, Roy is a crackpot, etc.

Yeah, we've hit a bit of a recruiting lull, but that's to be expected given the NCAA issues and the current makeup of the team (not really a spot available for a one and done elite guy to get 30+ min/game).

Hopefully we get back in front of Duke next year ;p

DominoKid

the way our luck has gone K will pull a monster class out of his ass for 2015 at the last moment and sweep us again next year. really wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

already expecting Giles, Tatum and Smith Jr to Duke for 2016

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
the way our luck has gone K will pull a monster class out of his ass for 2015 at the last moment and sweep us again next year. really wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

already expecting Giles, Tatum and Smith Jr to Duke for 2016

Next year will be as good as any for UNC, but if that falls through, you don't have a lot of players coming in ATM.

Duke is going to the tourney at 20-12. BOOK IT!

Silkworm

Go Gators

Not sure what prompted this but I must support my Gator brethren.

Go Gators!

Stinks that MFII will be gone but at least DFS is coming back. Add John Egbunu, Brandone Francis, Devon Walker (return from injury), Noah Dickerson, Keith Stone (hopefully), and KeVaughn Allen to what the Gators have already and things could look brighter next season. Will D. Walker stay or transfer? Will Chris Walker go pro? Will Eli Carter decide to transfer or retire from basketball due seemingly constant injuries? Will Keith Stone sign with the Gators? Sure there are a lot of things up in the air but I'm going to hope for the best. The most important thing is that Billy comes back and coaches another season for the Gators. It's not a given but I feel in light of DFS's return and his statement about wanting to have another year under Billy's mentorship that Coach Donovan won't leave for the NBA this year (and hopefully will never venture into the NBA but given his stance on things it just seems like its a matter of time).

"I really like Meek Mill. I play it all the time."—Coach K

tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

DominoKid

serious bball heads always overthink it.

the top 3 folks in my work bracket pool were all folks who don't know shit about ball other than what they hear us discuss at lunch before they beg us to talk about something other than sports.

Bowser

Consensus preseason favorites for the title next year per Vegas are UK, UNC, and UVa. Some books have UK 8-1 / UNC 9-1 / UVa 10-1 while others have UK, UNC, and UVa all at 10-1.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Consensus preseason favorites for the title next year per Vegas are UK, UNC, and UVa. Some books have UK 8-1 / UNC 9-1 / UVa 10-1 while others have UK, UNC, and UVa all at 10-1.

I would really like to see UVa win it all. I just like Bennett's style of game, and he's a very humble, well-mannered coach as well. It's easy to root for a team led by someone like him.

Fjordson

Lol doesn't Bilas listen to rap too. I could of sworn he tweets Jeezy lines
Yeah he does like every morning. "I want it all, no matter the cost. Screw the consequences, it ain't nothin' to a boss. I gotta go to work." was this morning's Jeezy quote lol.

Calipari also quoted Jeezy when UK was down to Georgia in the second half. "I said to them 'We need to find out who’s who' Who’s going to make a play, who’s going to do stuff? I kept saying ‘scared money don’t make no money.'

#DukeNation ‏@TheDukeNation 22m22 minutes ago
Justise Winslow just said on @SVPandRussillo that if Tyus, Jahlil and Grayson all say they're coming back, it would be really hard to leave.

Bob Sutton
‏@tnBobSutton
Duke's Grayson Allen: "It's not a question for me. I'll be back."

382.gif

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 8m8 minutes ago
Tyus Jones also said Jah and Justise's decisions will impact his

swnRdgI.gif

Fjordson

Yeah, they gone. Don't do it to yourself, Grover.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist stirred up some controversy last week when he was quoted saying: "I'm graduating here. I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying at Kentucky."

When reporters asked Archie Goodwin if he intended to enter the NBA draft, the freshman guard dismissed the idea he was ready to turn pro.

"If any of us were saying we think we should leave, then we’d all be delusional," Goodwin said.

Nah I know they're out.

They've already achieved the biggest thing you can in college and none of them (well outside of Grayson "Joffrey Skywalker Westbrook" Allen) will raise their stock that much by staying.

Unless you really like college, there's no point in staying when you can start making bank immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom