• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

Lime

244160_2015-02-28_005ieu9z.png

244160_2015-02-28_006y9usw.png

16692312351_189bb6fd4b_o.jpg

16667692096_b0bf0771fe_o.jpg

I'm more proud of that second screenshot than any other I've taken. I personally think it's a good shot, not amazing, but good. But the reason I'm so proud of it is because of the work behind the scenes. I learned a *lot* of console commands and photography techniques with the shot: changing sizes, positioning, lighting, the weather, actor attributes, fog, and a myriad of adjustments to the ENB I'm using to get the colours and tones just right. It's not the best screenshot ever, but it's the favourite one I've taken.

very nice just started another play through of this. What tod mod is this?

Cheers guys, its actually just the blackfire 1.3 mod with some sweetfx trying to tone it down. I'm going to try the expanded 1.0 mod next. Must've been 4 years since I played but what a great PC game it is still.

16667692096_b0bf0771fe_o.jpg

I'm more proud of that second screenshot than any other I've taken. I personally think it's a good shot, not amazing, but good. But the reason I'm so proud of it is because of the work behind the scenes. I learned a *lot* of console commands and photography techniques with the shot: changing sizes, positioning, lighting, the weather, actor attributes, fog, and a myriad of adjustments to the ENB I'm using to get the colours and tones just right. It's not the best screenshot ever, but it's the favourite one I've taken.

Pretty good :) The dragon looks kinda flat. Could be the lighting, but that's the weakest part of the shot to me. The pose and composition look great to me.

A while back, Duncan Harris wrote up a nice little article on some useful (and lesser known) console commands. The ones I never knew about were....

getpos / setpos / getangle / setangle – You can to specify axis x, y or z after this to get the relevant value. Great for moving posed or frozen enemies to just where you want them.

player.moveto – The free camera’s great for scouting for locations, angles, etc, and this is where player.moveto comes in. Maybe you want to set up a pose for a screenshot or just ensure the game’s loaded the highest LOD around your new location, so click on a small nearby object with the command console open – a shrub, a tree, just not the bare terrain mesh – and type player.moveto .

Great way to get LOD to load in while moving the camera away from your character.

Playing through Borderlands: The Presequel... and the visuals just aren't grabbing me like the previous game's did (not to mention the writing... ugh).

So I decided to go back and play through my favorite Borderlands 2 DLC again. Took a ton of shots last night but I got too tired to upload any. So here's one of my old favorites. Should be interesting to see if I can get any better shots at 7K + ReShade (even though I suck with ReShade).

9169361177_3fb2456fde_o.jpg

Lovely shot.
I feel like the graphics (especially lighting) from that ancient engine kinda keep the shot shackled and don't let it free. If you know what I mean :)
This haunts a lot of great Skyrim shots IMO.

Absolutely. I tried spawning some lights and moving them to the dragon, but that wouldn't have happened unless I resumed the game, which would have lost the positioning I'd been trying to get right for so long, so I didn't bother. I changed the lighting as much as I could to suit the actors whilst trying to keep the foggy/cloudy background, but unfortunately there just isn't very much you can do when the game is paused!

Thanks for reminding me about that Jim! I had it on my favourites bar for quite a while, but because I barely ever do anything to take shots other than changing the field of view and position, (and maybe stitching some shots together for a panorama) I forgot about its existence! I'll give it a look now, favourite it again and see if it can inspire or help me improve my shots next time I'm walking around Tamriel again. I finally started the Dragonborn DLC after owning it for over 2 years, so I might see if I can get some decent caps in Solstheim or maybe even Apocrypha.

Absolutely. I tried spawning some lights and moving them to the dragon, but that wouldn't have happened unless I resumed the game, which would have lost the positioning I'd been trying to get right for so long, so I didn't bother.

Pretty sure if you use the console, click on an enemy\NPC\etc and turn off its AI (command is TAI), then it will be frozen that way. So you can reposition your character or play with other stuff. It's been a while though.

Pretty sure if you use the console, click on an enemy\NPC\etc and turn off its AI (command is TAI), then it will be frozen that way. So you can reposition your character or play with other stuff. It's been a while though.

Oh, really? I thought tai made NPCs go idle instead of freezing. I'll give it a try today and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Also, just so that I'm contributing something, here's a shot I took after defeating that damned dragon that shows off how cool a diverse group can be. And there's probably a lot of tension between the members of it, considering that my group now consists of a nord, an argonian and a dunmer. Probably the three most hated and hateful civilised races in Tamriel :p

16071313464_d9c8411ed8_o.jpg

One3rd

I still can't make some good AA working properly in this game
Downsampling from 4k or higher and injecting some SMAA with sweetfx worked well for me to reduce those jaggies. The higher resolution also helps to tone down the cell shading affect as well.

Lime

I figured I might as well ask here (I hope it's okay):

Nvidia Users - Is there any difference in quality between a custom resolution and DSR?

And if DSR is the best, what smoothness level is the best or most optimal?

Thanks in advance

16703597305_420638ca8a_o.jpg

After being attacked by six bloody dragons, Alduin himself came after me. It was probably the most exciting fight I've had in my 1100 hours in the game! Unfortunately I'm having trouble with the console commands, specifically getting actors to stay completely still after resuming time. Is there anyway I can essentially get an actor to pause its animation, even mid-attack? Neither tai nor tcai do it - they just make NPCs idle around after finishing whatever animation they were doing.

I figured I might as well ask here (I hope it's okay):

Nvidia Users - Is there any difference in quality between a custom resolution and DSR?

And if DSR is the best, what smoothness level is the best or most optimal?

Thanks in advance

I personally find that custom resolutions can be quite blurry, whereas DSR allows you to modify the intensity of a gaussian blur filter. I usually leave mine at 22% with my screen's sharpness at 100%. Some games have really, really significant image quality issues, like vanilla Skyrim, which is probably better suited to 25% smoothness - so if you notice strange pixellation, then all you have to do is slightly increase the intensity of the blur filter. You'll get the sharpness of a native resolution with the improved image quality of downsampling, but only if you get the smoothing just right. Again, I leave mine on 22% as it seems to hit the perfect IQ, but do remember that you're going to get a tiny bit of blurring anyway. It's not too bad and if you really need a pixel-perfect image then you could always just inject SweetFx, GEMFX, ReShade or whatever and do some light very sharpening.

The only downside to using DSR, IMO, is that on some screens/cables/GPU setups you're probably going to be able to achieve a higher resolution than what DSR would allow, but if it's higher than what DSR can give you, you're going to be limited to 30 Hz and will probably see everything quite blurred. Good for taking screenshots, but there's not much point in trying to play on a setup like that.

PhilGPT

Unfortunately I'm having trouble with the console commands, specifically getting actors to stay completely still after resuming time. Is there anyway I can essentially get an actor to pause its animation, even mid-attack? Neither tai nor tcai do it - they just make NPCs idle around after finishing whatever animation they were doing.
"TFC 1" console command should work. Pauses everything.

Eirulan

@AnyoneInCherno:
Can you tell me how you get Alduin's Wings glowing?
Which mod is this?

My Alduin looks like this, I'm using "Skyrim Realistic Texture Overhaul dragons 4K-8K"

6heuti.jpg

Top Bottom