• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

jet1911

iLKAX5bYVoXrL.png

ibeIOj0kShAc08.png

Really smooth as well.

So good. Is it available somewhere or is it invite only?

I think they need to turn down the default UE4 bloom, but in general it looks pretty great and runs well (i get 120fps very easily).

RK9039

So good. Is it available somewhere or is it invite only?

You just download it from here. Install Unreal Tournament for the game, there are quite a lot of levels but only two are basically done. You can install the actual Unreal engine as well but I don't know how to use it, so I just left it.

It does indeed, but sometimes I need enemies to stay completely still whilst I continue to play normally in order to set a few things up. Basically, what I need is a tfc 1 that doesn't cancel player input.

That's what TAI does. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you. Just make sure you've selected the enemy in the console first.

I personally find that custom resolutions can be quite blurry, whereas DSR allows you to modify the intensity of a gaussian blur filter.

DSR let's you play with the smoothness\sharpness, but I've never noticed custom resolutions being blurry at all. In fact, most times, switching from native res to a downsampling res looks so much sharper and clearer.

The only downside to using DSR, IMO, is that on some screens/cables/GPU setups you're probably going to be able to achieve a higher resolution than what DSR would allow, but if it's higher than what DSR can give you, you're going to be limited to 30 Hz and will probably see everything quite blurred. Good for taking screenshots, but there's not much point in trying to play on a setup like that.
Midhras had 6K @ 48hz I believe. Maybe it was 50. Not sure, but most people don't go as low as 30. The reason I go to 30 is because I know it will work, and I'm not going to get more than 30hz at the resolutions I'm creating anyways.

Again, not sure where the "blurry" thing comes from. Maybe I'm just lucky with my monitor setup.

While I mostly use my custom resolutions for screnshots, I always play at the highest possible downsampling resolution for the image quality. Borderlands 2 looks pretty damn fantastic at my 5120x2880 res :)

I think they need to turn down the default UE4 bloom, but in general it looks pretty great and runs well (i get 120fps very easily).
Heh. I love the bloom :)

Not sure, but most people don't go as low as 30.

Again, not sure where the "blurry" thing comes from. Maybe I'm just lucky with my monitor setup.

Ah, my mistake. I thought there was a limitation with most HDMI/DVI outputs that caps massive resolutions at 30 hertz. Oh well, I'm glad to hear otherwise! As for the blurriness, I think you are. Both I and a friend of mine get pretty noticeable blurring when forcing custom resolutions, and we've tested them on 4 different screens. Although knowing my luck, I'm probably the unlucky one. :p

RK9039

Yeah the performance is crazy good for some reason, I don't even have an amazing system or anything. I did lock it to 60fps though, and it hasn't dropped once. For the way it looks I was a bit surprised by that.

Thank you!

Np.

Imagine the next Elder Scrolls:

ibkvraUPENS6Sb.png

The reflections are pretty sweet as well.

ibzgdr8QQb9Qwm.png

GavinUK86

Yeah the performance is crazy good for some reason, I don't even have an amazing system or anything. I did lock it to 60fps though, and it hasn't dropped once. For the way it looks I was a bit surprised by that.

I get quite a lot of stuttering on my system. Playable though.

It's all very shiny.

16518304630_836b1b58c3_o.png

16705689385_cfc3067dc9_o.png

midhras

Re: downsampling. I get 6K at 50Hz, not 48. 50Hz is plenty for me. I've not used DSR myself. I think for playing a game, DSR, or GeDoSaTo downsampling would always be preferable to running the desktop at a higher resolution than your monitor supports, as the first methods use filtered downsampling, resulting in an image with fewer downsampling artefacts. However, for screenshots you want to get the unfiltered, original resolution shot, so YOU get to decide in post what downsampling algorithm to use.

Stein3x

16704844981_babba1881e_o.jpg

Re: downsampling. I get 6K at 50Hz, not 48. 50Hz is plenty for me. I've not used DSR myself. I think for playing a game, DSR, or GeDoSaTo downsampling would always be preferable to running the desktop at a higher resolution than your monitor supports, as the first methods use filtered downsampling, resulting in an image with fewer downsampling artefacts. However, for screenshots you want to get the unfiltered, original resolution shot, so YOU get to decide in post what downsampling algorithm to use.

Same for me 6K 50Hz , can't go any higher and i don't feel the need to. Using 4k DSR and some form of AA (4xSGSSAA if possible) gives great IQ when you just play games (HBAO+ isn't working if you use Gedosato).

misho8723

Banned
You gotta downsample. What's your GPU? Should be pretty easy to run at 4K. Not a very demanding game.

Downsampling from 4k or higher and injecting some SMAA with sweetfx worked well for me to reduce those jaggies. The higher resolution also helps to tone down the cell shading affect as well.

I tried DSR through Nvidia Control Panel in Gunslinger, but that didn't work - every resolution above my native was "out of sync"..

Hat not completely attached to head. Hands not completely grasping the gun. Yeah, it's a pretty early version.

16708330982_3d63e68d8e_o.jpg

16708098601_7591ba33c1_o.jpg

The CA also bugs the hell out of me.

simply WOW.

Thanks!

Lightning is good but overall I would have to go with "meh". Lots of blurring and CA again on the edges doesn't help at all. And that vista looks kinda bad compared even to Crysis 1 tbh. What am I missing?

To be fair most of UE4's improvements are for content creators. I don't know if anyone here has tried using the engine, but I've had access to it for quite a long time now and it's stupidly easy to make stuff. Whereas in UDK creating a well lit, well shaded, well textured scene and iterating on it could take weeks, in UE4 it takes mere hours. If you know how to use the engine you can easily put together entire houses and basic levels in a few days.

Then there are all the graphical improvements: real time shadow penumbra, real time GI (soon), improved bloom, improved motion blur and depth of field, improved ambient occlusion with some new techniques, real-time screen space reflections, particle physics and lighting, water lighting, and that's just to name a few. I really can't sell UE4 hard enough. It's the most powerful, prettiest and easiest to use AAA engine out there.

Some Panoramas
Bloody hell man, don't post 50 MB PNGs!

They're very pretty panoramas, but there's always a few things you need to watch out for:

• Ghosting: There's quite a lot in your panoramas. Use a program that has anti-ghosting tools.
• File size: Don't post PNGs, especially when they're absolutely gigantic. 50 MBs each is insane and pointless.
• AA - You don't seem to be using any AA in your shots, which really ruins their image quality. More importantly, because the image quality is so poor, there's not much point in being able to zoom in as much as you can because all you get is tonnes of aliasing.

Considering those three points, I've added in some anti-aliasing via Photoshop, downsampled to 3000 x 891 and sharpened the image up a bit. Looks much better, and both shots are now around 3.2 MB each, as opposed to 50 MB.

htpb.jpg

itpb.jpg

TheTurboFD

Bloody hell man, don't post 50 MB PNGs!

They're very pretty panoramas, but there's always a few things you need to watch out for:

• Ghosting: There's quite a lot in your panoramas. Use a program that has anti-ghosting tools.
• File size: Don't post PNGs, especially when they're absolutely gigantic. 50 MBs each is insane and pointless.
• AA - You don't seem to be using any AA in your shots, which really ruins their image quality. More importantly, because the image quality is so poor, there's not much point in being able to zoom in as much as you can because all you get is tonnes of aliasing.

Considering those three points, I've added in some anti-aliasing via Photoshop, downsampled to 3000 x 891 and sharpened the image up a bit. Looks much better, and both shots are now around 3.2 MB each, as opposed to 50 MB.

htpb.jpg

itpb.jpg

Holy hell! I apologize I didn't even notice the size :eek:

I do have a question though, I have 2x MSAA in that screenshot along with the FXAA sweet FX gives. I'm also down sampling from 4k so how do I get rid of the aliasing?

Fixing my posts!

Holy hell! I apologize I didn't even notice the size :eek:

It's alright! Still, I'd recommend editing your post changing your shots out for smaller JPEGs before everyone else comes to the thread and gets annoyed at the file size.

Edit: Don't use MSAA in Far Cry 4 as it's not very good. Honestly, the game's FXAA is better than MSAA x2 and MSAA x4, and you'll get less of a performance hit. How are you putting the panoramas together? What program are you using? I have a feeling that there's a mistake somewhere in your workflow that's causing you to end up with blurry, pixellated images with ghosting instead of super-sharp and super-clean shots.

TheTurboFD

It's alright! Still, I'd recommend editing your post changing your shots out for smaller JPEGs before everyone else comes to the thread and gets annoyed at the file size.

Edit: Don't use MSAA in Far Cry 4 as it's not very good. Honestly, the game's FXAA is better than MSAA x2 and MSAA x4, and you'll get less of a performance hit. How are you putting the panoramas together? What program are you using? I have a feeling that there's a mistake somewhere in your workflow that's causing you to end up with blurry, pixellated images with ghosting instead of super-sharp and super-clean shots.

Photoshop CC , using automate and photomerge

Top Bottom