• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I think my aging msi laptop's gtx570m gpu got fried,

Managed to boot to windows afterwards with what I assume is the 2670QM's integrated gpu, albeit stuck to 1024x768, but the green lines still exists, and now the 570 is disabled in device manager.

Am I really running on the iGPU? I can't seem to change my resolution.
Do I need to uninstall all the nvidia drivers?

Have to bring forward my plan to build new ryzen system now lol T_T

Which laptop is this?

Nabbis

I'd try an older driver, just for the process of elimination, and always use the clean install option under custom installation.

Only having crashes in this one game complicates the troubleshooting. Definitely check eventvwr.msc, I'd like to know exactly what errors are shown there.

Just for the info, what mode are you running? Turbo, Sport, etc?

I nearly always run the sport mode. But it did crash in Turbo as well.

Look at event viewer

It only showed a error with the display driver crashing.

Haha!

Yep this was the biggest issue for me too. I have the same laptop and I posted about it on page 179.

To sum up though, absolutely use Display Driver Uninstaller first and then install the latest Nvidia Drivers. My Dark Souls 3 used to crash on any setting I tried it other than everything lowered, until I did this. Now I can even push it to 45-60 on 4k without a crash lol.

And update your vBios to this one

Also, G-Sync may crash your games sometimes at least in my experience especially if the voltages and clocks jump around alot which happens in every mode except Turbo.

So yea, even after I clean installed latest drivers after using Display Driver Uninstaller and updated my vBios which resolved plenty of my issues, Ghost Recon Wildlands would still crash after like 15 seconds in-game.

That's when I switched on Turbo mode and tried it.

And it ran perfectly, although my temps went up near 80 C, so I turned on Cooler Booster and was seeing temps of 62-64 or so. Minimal variation in CPU clocks seem to matter alot in intensive applications.

So I've since tweaked my Turbo setting to 3.7 ( default max Intel turbo) from 4.0 for long sessions of heavy gaming and disabled the +200mHz GPU default turbo setting memory overclock, as I don't wanna push it for a gain of like 10 frames unless experimenting. I also keep my GPU on an underclock of -150mHz using MSI Afterburner as I've seen a further drop of 3-4 C in GPU temps while no noticeable change in fps.

And someone posted on MSI forums that his GT73VR crashed anyhow after like 3 hrs of gaming, so he dropped his turbo setting to 3.9 from 4.0 and it has been stable.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Actually, using on battery is pretty stable too for heavy apps although with nearly a 3x performance drop. And a poster on MSI Forums had more stability on running at max GPU clocks (1645mHz) using overclocking, although I wouldn't advise to try this first.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I did update my vbios prior to a newer one but if this problem continues then i will try that one.

What i basically did was just say "fuck it" and did a clean windows install. At the very least it fixed my screen not turning on and i have not gotten crashed display drivers anymore. I need to play the game a little more to see if my luck runs out but so far so good.

People who say PC does not need a lot of tinkering need to get their head out of their ass.

Acageron

gigabyte aero 15 (but has gtx 1060)

Thanks for the replies, guys. After comparing these and a few others, I did go with the Aero 15 despite the 1060.

It hit a good balance of portability, battery life and power for my needs. To no surprise, I found that any laptop with a 1070 took a hit on battery life and/or bulk. Of course, the Sager's 60 Wh battery didn't do it any favors. Aorus x5 v6/v7 with a 94 Wh battery was a strong runner-up.

UpwindPoet24

Neo Member
Any suggestions for MacBooks?

My budget is 1000-2500
Need it for gaming and video editing
I want to stay away from PC ultimately so should I wait for the newer MacBooks to come out or is there hardware now that can run current games exceedingly well?

K.Jack

Any suggestions for MacBooks?

My budget is 1000-2500
Need it for gaming and video editing
I want to stay away from PC ultimately so should I wait for the newer MacBooks to come out or is there hardware now that can run current games exceedingly well?

Surely you are not asking, if there is a Macbook, that can run games exceedingly well.

The two ideas are antithetical.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey... I don't know wether this sort of thing is ok in this thread, but i've owned an asus g752VM since september last year if anyone cares about owners impressions.

K.Jack

Hey... I don't know wether this sort of thing is ok in this thread, but i've owned an asus g752VM since september last year if anyone cares about owners impressions.

Owner's impressions are one of the most valuable things shared, in this thread.

Please tell us what you think.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Owner's impressions are one of the most valuable things shared, in this thread.
ne
Please tell us what you think.

Alright then.

So, the g752VM (that's the one with 1060). Good screen, good keyboard. Mousepad is good for basic use (i don't use gestures). The mousepad buttons however, have quite a lot of travel - if you use them for quick click actions (or even gaming) I can see it bothering you.

Performance is good and cooling is good as well. It doesn't get "gaming laptop" loud, which I like.

The thunderbolt implementation is a bit wonky - for starters it only has 1 monitor channel. I assume you can dual monitor uisng thunderbolt and the hdmi output, but I haven't tried. If your desired setup is dual monitor off a single cable, it won't work. It is also NOT egpu enabled, although I've read some success stores involving some tinkering.

The build in audio is... poor. It doesn't sound laptop-tiny but the quality is not up to snuff. Amazingly, Asus Sonic Studio default profile is HORRENDOUS - you need to change that stuff ASAP. Speaking of Sonic Studio, it makes some games crash. If you have a game crash, try shutting down Sonic Studio first.

Build quality is unimpressive: the laptop is overdesigned with complex shapes and different materials overlapping for some reason: egregiously, around the power button you can see up to 5 different "materials". The result of this construction is that, at least in my unit, gaps have appeared.

As a conclusion, I would say I'm happy with the performance, the screen and the noise profile. I am disappointed with the audio quality and the design/construction.

sibarraz

Banned
I bought the acer inspire vx15, so far is a great machine that runs all the games that I want from decent to amazing

Are there tips to improve performance? Or for mainteniance?

Vibed

Are there any laptops I can use for both gaming and college work, that I can get for let's say, ~$800? Possibly on sale, or ones to look out for that will probably go on sale.
Edit:Whoops, I misread the second post as the laptop section of the OP. So specifically:

-Would like to play PS360 era games at high performance (coming to mind, I wanna play Sonic Generations), as well as some current gen ones at moderate performance on average, like say Dark Souls 3. Ideally, performance would have resolution at 1080p with a lower end of 720p if necessary, 60fps at nearly all times, extra things like Anti-ailising aren't that necessary.
-USA, Wisconsin
-Also college work, so additional features conducive to that are appreciated
-No size requirement
-$800ish

Fox318

Man everything about that aero 15 looks like it was designed by me. Nearly every feature is checked off.

Only thing missing is a metal body but everythi mg else is spot on.

I think I'm gonna have to pick one up.

fr0st

Banned
Are there any laptops I can use for both gaming and college work, that I can get for let's say, ~$800? Possibly on sale, or ones to look out for that will probably go on sale.
Edit:Whoops, I misread the second post as the laptop section of the OP. So specifically:

-Would like to play PS360 era games at high performance (coming to mind, I wanna play Sonic Generations), as well as some current gen ones at moderate performance on average, like say Dark Souls 3. Ideally, performance would have resolution at 1080p with a lower end of 720p if necessary, 60fps at nearly all times, extra things like Anti-ailising aren't that necessary.
-USA, Wisconsin
-Also college work, so additional features conducive to that are appreciated
-No size requirement
-$800ish
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...&acampID=78f3696444de11e7a1cbeea10ebe15520INT

Sorry for the long link. Am posting from my phone but this deal ain't bad since it had the ips panel and ssd to boot.

Also decent battery life compared to other laptops at the same price range.

Marche90

So I finally took the jump with undervolting my machine, and man, what an eye-opener experience this was.

My current machine is a Lenovo Y50 with an i7-4710HQ and a GTX 960M, but for a while I had the feeling that it was getting too hot while gaming... and while yes, I live in a hot place (40+ °C for the last two weeks) I never used it outside of a room with A/C, so the temps were a bit ridiculous. Today I finally had the courage to mess around for a bit with the programs needed and wow. After undervolting it by -0.065 mV my temps went from constantly hitting 90°C and having the CPU throttling every few minutes to around 80°C under heavy load with no throttling after 30 minutes. Granted, I still think that this machine might need a change of thermal paste and cleaning its interior, but for now, I'm happy.

Next step; have enough courage to overclock the GPU, beyond the measly +30/+50 mhz that I currently have set up.

Yes, I feel paranoid about fucking up somewhere and having this machine break on me. I'll probably have someone else making the thermal paste change for me.

K.Jack

Alright then.

So, the g752VM (that's the one with 1060). Good screen, good keyboard. Mousepad is good for basic use (i don't use gestures). The mousepad buttons however, have quite a lot of travel - if you use them for quick click actions (or even gaming) I can see it bothering you.

Performance is good and cooling is good as well. It doesn't get "gaming laptop" loud, which I like.

The thunderbolt implementation is a bit wonky - for starters it only has 1 monitor channel. I assume you can dual monitor uisng thunderbolt and the hdmi output, but I haven't tried. If your desired setup is dual monitor off a single cable, it won't work. It is also NOT egpu enabled, although I've read some success stores involving some tinkering.

The build in audio is... poor. It doesn't sound laptop-tiny but the quality is not up to snuff. Amazingly, Asus Sonic Studio default profile is HORRENDOUS - you need to change that stuff ASAP. Speaking of Sonic Studio, it makes some games crash. If you have a game crash, try shutting down Sonic Studio first.

Build quality is unimpressive: the laptop is overdesigned with complex shapes and different materials overlapping for some reason: egregiously, around the power button you can see up to 5 different "materials". The result of this construction is that, at least in my unit, gaps have appeared.

As a conclusion, I would say I'm happy with the performance, the screen and the noise profile. I am disappointed with the audio quality and the design/construction.

Thanks for the impressions. They sound pretty accurate.

The audio on ASUS laptops is almost disgraceful, for the price they charge.

ASUS was once among the tip-top of quality gaming laptops, then somewhere around the G74 they started cutting costs, without passing it along to consumers. Shame.

I bought the acer inspire vx15, so far is a great machine that runs all the games that I want from decent to amazing

Are there tips to improve performance? Or for mainteniance?

My best tip, is to just enjoy it, at least for now.

If there's nothing wrong out of the box, be thankful and just use it as normal.

So I finally took the jump with undervolting my machine, and man, what an eye-opener experience this was.

My current machine is a Lenovo Y50 with an i7-4710HQ and a GTX 960M, but for a while I had the feeling that it was getting too hot while gaming... and while yes, I live in a hot place (40+ °C for the last two weeks) I never used it outside of a room with A/C, so the temps were a bit ridiculous. Today I finally had the courage to mess around for a bit with the programs needed and wow. After undervolting it by -0.065 mV my temps went from constantly hitting 90°C and having the CPU throttling every few minutes to around 80°C under heavy load with no throttling after 30 minutes. Granted, I still think that this machine might need a change of thermal paste and cleaning its interior, but for now, I'm happy.

Next step; have enough courage to overclock the GPU, beyond the measly +30/+50 mhz that I currently have set up.

Yes, I feel paranoid about fucking up somewhere and having this machine break on me. I'll probably have someone else making the thermal paste change for me.

Yeah, probably time to clean it out.

I dusted and replace the thermal paste on my laptop a few weeks back, and my CPU temps dropped by 25C.

Before you pay someone else to do it, do what I did: look up the disassembly on Youtube, to see how difficult it will be. These things usually turn out to be extremely simple, as long as the CPU and GPU aren't on the keyboard side of the motherboard. I doubt yours will be as complex as mine.

About the overclocking of the 960M, I wouldn't worry too much about doing damage. It typically runs an additional +135/+450 and stay well within safe parameters. You have to consider that this GPU is literally a desktop GTX 750 Ti, so any clocks it can safely run, so too can the 860M and 960M. You may be more limited by the PSU than anything.

K.Jack

K.Jack- your thoughts on Max=Q?

Is this more than an efficiency upgrade?

Well I've known Max-Q for a while. They are basically just lower TDP variants, which won't clock or boost as high as the standard parts. This will allow them to put the chips in lighter and thinner laptops.

I honestly think this is a move to lock up any remaining market which AMD Vega may have targeted.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Got my Dell Inspiron this morning. Really happy overall with it so far. Build quality was better than what I was expecting. The IPS screen is super noticeable compared to the TN on the cheaper model and its like the first laptop I've owned where the white didn't have too much of a blue tint. Blacks look a little weird though, how do you even calibrate a laptop monitor? Can you? Its not a huge deal but just wondering.

Battery life is really, really good on this thing. Haven't plugged it in all day and will get over 7 hours just doing basic stuff. The keyboard is pretty decent while the trackpad is really solid and so are the speakers.

Only complaint I have is it doesn't really get bright enough, will pretty much always have this thing on max brightness. Also the red keyboard backlight kind of sucks, seriously why do companies go with red thats hard to see instead of white? But I never really cared about a backlight because I'm never actually looking at the keyboard other than for FN function keys.

fr0st

Banned
just got my the lenovo y520

Im wondering if I should keep it plugged in if im going to play for 3+ hours or keep plugging and unplugging it

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Im wondering if I should keep it plugged in if im going to play for 3+ hours or keep plugging and unplugging it

Wondering the same thing about my Dell.

The thing has a built in battery management app with standard / adaptive / custom and primarily AC settings, but it doesn't really explain it all that well and I really don't get what the ideal battery usage is. Should I keep the AC plugged in at all times? I just have it on adaptive because I really have no idea about this and it says it'll just automatically adjust to my usage, whatever that means. Custom lets me decide at what percentage to start charging and what percentage to stop charging

K.Jack

No, you should just leave it plugged in, because you aren't going to hurt the battery.

Lol, Nividia did bring back the mobile house under a new name.

Pretty much. These are M chips with a weird new name.

Lol, Nividia did bring back the mobile house under a new name.

I believe it's called Q Max or whatever. We will have to see how much slower it's going to be compared to full GTX 1080. I heard that there will be a Q max version for every GTX level GPU as well. But I know that Nvidia can't defy the laws of physics. It's still the same fabrication process and architecture. I am betting Nvidia is relaying on very strict binning process and undervolting to make them run at reasonable temps. Regardless, the prices for some of the laptops these things are going to ship with are going to be insane. Expect over 3k.

No, you should just leave it plugged in, because you aren't going to hurt the battery.

Pretty much. These are M chips with a weird new name.

I hope Nvidia sticks with the full desktop version from now on and make the Q max thing optional. I am extremely pleased with what Nvidia achieved with the Pascal mobile GPUs. I hope they don't ruin it.

anddo0

Well I've known Max-Q for a while. They are basically just lower TDP variants, which won't clock or boost as high as the standard parts. This will allow them to put the chips in lighter and thinner laptops.

I honestly think this is a move to lock up any remaining market which AMD Vega may have targeted.

I hope Nvidia sticks with the full desktop version from now on and make the Q max thing optional. I am extremely pleased with what Nvidia achieved with the Pascal mobile GPUs. I hope they don't ruin it.

Speaking of AMD. I'm interested in the benchmarks for the Asus ROG Strix G702ZC.
Ryzen 7 1700 CPU and a AMD Radeon RX580... Could be a good alternative.

I'm hoping that the announcement of the Max-Q doesn't kill Nividia interest in fully blown desktop cards in mobile. It's been amazing to see such a wide range of laptops with no compromises. The Max-Q line is also a blow to Razor with everyone coming down in size there is very little to differentiate them now.

Arex

Which laptop is this?

The MSI GT683 DXR. Can't even boot to desktop now, just black screen, and only can boot to safe mode, but with a screen like this haha
0jh7Z9S.jpg

Anyway only using this old laptop because I can't bring my bulky R5 pc with me overseas for work. Now I'm stuck with ipad lol.

Thinking of building an itx or matx Ryzen pc next.

shockdude

If you aren't going to unplug a laptop for weeks at a time, see if you can set the laptop to stop charging at 60%. Otherwise, just leave the laptop charged at 100% and don't worry about it.

If you unplug the laptop regularly, try to charge the laptop all the way to 100% without unplugging it in the middle whenever possible.

Ixian

Anyone here have the aero 15?
I've had one for a couple of weeks now; what do you want to know?

Like you, it checked a lot of boxes in terms of what I wanted out of a laptop while also being powerful enough to replace my desktop -- in fact, I've primarily been using it in that fashion since I got it. Coming from a Macbook Air, I find the keyboard and trackpad less than stellar but they're serviceable and like I said, I've primarily been using it with an external mouse and keyboard so it hasn't really bothered me.

Fox318

I've had one for a couple of weeks now; what do you want to know?

Like you, it checked a lot of boxes in terms of what I wanted out of a laptop while also being powerful enough to replace my desktop -- in fact, I've primarily been using it in that fashion since I got it. Coming from a Macbook Air, I find the keyboard and trackpad less than stellar but they're serviceable and like I said, I've primarily been using it with an external mouse and keyboard so it hasn't really bothered me.

Just the build quality and feel of the build is all I'm after. Does it feel cheap and plastic or does it feel solid?

Lenovo Yoga 720: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DVS-PIFGM

Why is this a big deal? The big problem up to this point has been that convertibles are wonderful for media consumption, digital art and other ergonomic uses. They are a great way to interact with your computer, but at the same time, manufactureres have paired convertibles with weak ULV processors that run at 15 watt with integrated graphics.

If you're doing heavy editing, 3D, code, or other productivity means, you can benefit from dedicated graphics and quadcore. But these specs were always reserved to non convertible workstations and gaming laptops.
And so if you're someone who needs power for both work and play, you're stuck.

The Surface Book is the most amazing laptop I've ever seen. But at 3000 dollars for a top spec model it's just way way too much. And I've been screaming at the others to pick up that design.
Using touch (pen or fingers) is really useful in many applications that require powerful graphics. Watching movies in tent modem is awesome. It removes the keyboard, so when you're lying in bed, you can invert the laptop in tent mode and have a really comfortable position.

Yoga 720 is really powerful for what it is. And it's really ergonomic for a 15-inch convertible, that still has ultrabook class and weight. Not only that, but they still manage to squeeze out a 6+ hour battery- even with a GDDR5 1050 and a 45 Watt Quad.

This machine is unique. It's way to unique to be lost within the shuffle of just being another Yoga. It should be its own category all of its own.
I hope people do not sleep on this design, because we need this sort of cross productivity/workstation/gaming to work more generally for laptops. I'm getting sick of gamer themed laptops with red accents that lack useful features of other types of laptops.

So I want to see things that appeal to gamers into other product lines, instead of designating people who love games to just flock around stripped down machines with glowing LEDs and red accents.

dawgparty

I got the Acer Aspire VX 15 and I Love the build quality, feels great. My only issue(and its a big one) is that I played 2 rounds of Dead by Daylight and 2 of Overwatch and the laptop was hot as hell. To be fair I had it on a pillow on my chest so probably not the best airflow but still. I didn't get any numbers but I will next time. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Not sure if its a widespread problem or something to be worried about. Any laptops of similar quality that don't have this issue?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I got the Acer Aspire VX 15 and I Love the build quality, feels great. My only issue(and its a big one) is that I played 2 rounds of Dead by Daylight and 2 of Overwatch and the laptop was hot as hell. To be fair I had it on a pillow on my chest so probably not the best airflow but still. I didn't get any numbers but I will next time. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Not sure if its a widespread problem or something to be worried about. Any laptops of similar quality that don't have this issue?
Yes, don't put the laptop on an pillow, or a carpet, or anything that blocks the vents under the machine.
Laptops have feet for a reason.

dawgparty

Yes, don't put the laptop on an pillow, or a carpet, or anything that blocks the vents under the machine.
Laptops have feet for a reason.

Fair enough, kinda figured. I wonder if I fucked anything up by doing that? Not sure if I should be worried about it.

Ixian

Just the build quality and feel of the build is all I'm after. Does it feel cheap and plastic or does it feel solid?
It's not premium feeling like an Apple laptop or Microsoft's newer products, but it still feels good enough. It's been a long time since I've used a "cheap" laptop but I wouldn't consider the Aero 15 one.

K.Jack

Fair enough, kinda figured. I wonder if I fucked anything up by doing that? Not sure if I should be worried about it.

No, you certainly didn't damage anything.

The laptop has built in protections, and would shut itself off before it got hot enough to damage anything.

Top Bottom