• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

18839282_1595288037170439_6725161732227146282_n.jpg

18882250_1595288043837105_6523851380720730224_n.jpg

18766043_1595288053837104_372414776682445576_n.jpg
new MSI GE

Any reviews pop up yet on the performance of these new mx150 gpus? I am curious to know more about them.

From my understanding, they should perform close to a 1030. I'm interested in them too, because i like the ultra portable form factor. I'm.currently waiting for the HP Envy 13 to come out with it.

zsswimmer

So I bought a msi gt73vr awhile back but it doesn't run as smoothly on quite a few games as u think it should.its the i7 6820hk, 64gb ram, gtx 1080, ssd version, and games like Prey, Human Revolution, Mankind Divided, Gears of War ultimate edition can't run at a smooth 60fps, it's really strange. I can't remember if it's always been like that either.

The strange thing is that it runs Battlefield 1 on ultra settings 1080p at a locked 120fps

fr0st

Banned
getting the plugged in not charging thing on my laptop

im on the lenovo legion y520

anyone know how to fix this problem?

i tried the uninstalling microsoft adapter thing and scanning again and also shutting down and rebooting but it didnt work

Tripon

getting the plugged in not charging thing on my laptop

im on the lenovo legion y520

anyone know how to fix this problem?

i tried the uninstalling microsoft adapter thing and scanning again and also shutting down and rebooting but it didnt work
What percentage are you at? It was happening to me too (Lenovo Thinkpad e570) and I read that Lenovo considers it a feature and won't start charging until battery drains under 95%.

fr0st

Banned
What percentage are you at? It was happening to me too (Lenovo Thinkpad e570) and I read that Lenovo considers it a feature and won't start charging until battery drains under 95%.

yep looked at the forums and thats what was happening

was kinda scared lol cause that didnt happen to my previous laptop

So I bought a msi gt73vr awhile back but it doesn't run as smoothly on quite a few games as u think it should.its the i7 6820hk, 64gb ram, gtx 1080, ssd version, and games like Prey, Human Revolution, Mankind Divided, Gears of War ultimate edition can't run at a smooth 60fps, it's really strange. I can't remember if it's always been like that either.

The strange thing is that it runs Battlefield 1 on ultra settings 1080p at a locked 120fps

At 1080p for the games you mentioned before BF1? That's really strange as I can run 2 of the games you mentioned maxed at 1080p 60 FPS with a GTX 1060. I have to drop some settings for Mankind Divided to hit 60 FPS. Your GPU should destroy these games at 1080p and 1440p. If it's 4k you are talking about, then that's a different story. The GTX 1080 is not a a 4K 60 FPS card. You will have to get a GTX titan p or GTX 1080 ti for that. I would advise to monitor GPU and CPU clocks and temperatures.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm still investigating about my new laptop.
But I think Amazon is not very good.
Can someone link a better store?

Why do you think Amazon is not good? Unless you're talking about customization, I'd buy a car or even house from Amazon if I could, let alone a laptop.

If there's so much as a speck of dust on the thing you can exchange it for a new model, next day shipping on their end, they'll do anything you want to make you happy, issue free money, free prime months, and so on. They pretty much have the best customer service on the planet imo.

Why do you think Amazon is not good? Unless you're talking about customization, I'd buy a car or even house from Amazon if I could, let alone a laptop.

If there's so much as a speck of dust on the thing you can exchange it for a new model, next day shipping on their end, they'll do anything you want to make you happy, issue free money, free prime months, and so on. They pretty much have the best customer service on the planet imo.

I don't know about why he doesn't like it, but Amazon's refund policy is pretty cumbersome. If you decide to a return a $1000+ device, you will have to wait until they receive to their warehouse before they refund the amount(it takes about 10-14 days for that). Best buy on the other hand price match Amazon and their return policy regardless from where you buy it(Online or through store) is painless. You just drop off at the nearest best buy and the money is in your account is instantly if not the next business day. You can also get a replacement instantly.

fr0st

Banned
Anyone have a suggestion for a good pain rest?

I'm using the Lenovo legion y520

Don't want it to fade from to much use since it can get kinda hot

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't know about why he doesn't like it, but Amazon's refund policy is pretty cumbersome. If you decide to a return a $1000+ device, you will have to wait until they receive to their warehouse before they refund the amount(it takes about 10-14 days for that). Best buy on the other hand price match Amazon and their return policy regardless from where you buy it(Online or through store) is painless. You just drop off at the nearest best buy and the money is in your account is instantly if not the next business day. You can also get a replacement instantly.

I've ordered PCs from them before, the one I'm using now is from there (it was also around $3,000). I guess there's a difference between a return and an exchange? The one they shipped me originally had a problem with the screen, and they issued a replacement before the broken one was returned (the replacement was sent next day air too, for free).

They also issue the credit to me instantly when I return stuff, sometimes before the post office scans the package, if not, usually the act of generating the scan at the post office for the return will get the refund issue.

Another example, I ordered my Switch from them, and they delivered it a few days late, so they gave me $50 credit for free and a few free months of prime. In fact, any time anything at all goes wrong with an order they pretty much give me free money and more free shipping, regardless of what the order is for.

Dear god that cover is hideous.

Dat back plate my eyes. It seems that MSI are not learning from their designs at all. They make ugly notebooks and it's not hard to see why they are so ugly, but this takes the cake. Only a design that a 6 year might like.
Compared to what Asus puts out, i consider it to be largely inoffensive. Like that you can seemingly do individual key colors now too.

vall03

How good are 940MX? I've been seeing a lot of decent spec laptops with that card for around $500 in my country and I'm thinking of getting one. I'm also willing to lower settings for better performance, worth it?

Tripon

How good are 940MX? I've been seeing a lot of decent spec laptops with that card for around $500 in my country and I'm thinking of getting one. I'm also willing to lower settings for better performance, worth it?

Barely more powerful than some of the integrated graphics intel uses?

The 940mx isn't much better than the intel integrated graphics in new intel CPU. I would go with something that has an iris pro graphics if you are buying a small notebook. There are also GTX 1050 powered system for about $800 which are much better at gaming.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

The 940mx isn't much better than the intel integrated graphics in new intel CPU.
The 940MX shits on the HD Graphics 630.

Reviewer says it's IPS.
So what do you guys think, good for ~$1300?
Similar options in other brands at that price?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KB0X0OQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The ASUS has G-Sync, so I'd be more interested in that one.

Geez the ROG GL502VS with a 1070 is down to $870 at Micro Center now? That is a helluva deal if you can get to one.

Damn, this is pretty much what I originally wanted and the price is fantastic. I ended up grabbing an Alienware AW17R4 for $958 (open box) a few weeks ago and thought that was a great deal. That Asus has me regretting my purchase a tiny bit, ha... Oh well

K.Jack

Damn, this is pretty much what I originally wanted and the price is fantastic. I ended up grabbing an Alienware AW17R4 for $958 (open box) a few weeks ago and thought that was a great deal. That Asus has me regretting my purchase a tiny bit, ha... Oh well
What are the Alienware's specs?

vall03

The 940mx isn't much better than the intel integrated graphics in new intel CPU. I would go with something that has an iris pro graphics if you are buying a small notebook. There are also GTX 1050 powered system for about $800 which are much better at gaming.

The 940MX shits on the HD Graphics 630.

So uh, what's the consensus here? I actually wanted the model that I saw because it was at only 14" and having at least a dedicated graphics card would improve the games that I'm playing. Most of the games that I play doesn't even require high specs but I want to at least play some bug games and I'm willing to lower settings if needed. If it goes to $800, I think that's Ultrabook territory already and would be outside of my budget but I think they're ideal for me since they're lightweight and small which is what I want, just expensive. There are some gaming laptops available but I find them too bulky and heavy which is why I'm avoiding them. But we'll see if I can stretch my budget a bit.

What are the Alienware's specs?

17.3"
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
16GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
1TB Hard Drive
128GB Solid State Drive

Just a lot bigger than I anticipated, but I jumped on the deal when I found it. Wanted something to do some gaming / video editing and was thinking 15" would be an ideal size. Hopefully I don't regret it later on!

K.Jack

So uh, what's the consensus here? I actually wanted the model that I saw because it was at only 14" and having at least a dedicated graphics card would improve the games that I'm playing. Most of the games that I play doesn't even require high specs but I want to at least play some bug games and I'm willing to lower settings if needed. If it goes to $800, I think that's Ultrabook territory already and would be outside of my budget but I think they're ideal for me since they're lightweight and small which is what I want, just expensive. There are some gaming laptops available but I find them too bulky and heavy which is why I'm avoiding them. But we'll see if I can stretch my budget a bit.

In these newer small/thin laptops, you typically find an i7-7500U, which has the Intel HD 620.

Video: Geforce 940MX vs Intel HD 620

Spoiler: It's a massacre, outside of Rocket League.
17.3"
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
16GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
1TB Hard Drive
128GB Solid State Drive

Just a lot bigger than I anticipated, but I jumped on the deal when I found it. Wanted something to do some gaming / video editing and was thinking 15" would be an ideal size. Hopefully I don't regret it later on!

You got the far better deal, trust me.

MilkBeard

Anyone have a suggestion for a good pain rest?

I'm using the Lenovo legion y520

Don't want it to fade from to much use since it can get kinda hot

On a side note, how are you liking this laptop? I am considering getting it because I can get the best deal on it.

Tripon

Sorry if this obvious but do we have an updated 2017 thread on the best current gaming laptops?

There's no need until AMD or Nividia releases new laptops that significantly change buying options. AMD is trying to put desktop CPUs and GPUs (Polaris only GPUs) in high end laptops, but Q-Max isn't enough of a game changer for Nividia.

Anyone here waiting for the Lenovo Legion Y720 80VR002HUS? Newegg shows a release 06/23/2017. That already got pushed back a couple of times. Every day I'm scouring for more official info on its release.

looking at the Alienware 15 R3, the screen choices are:
option 1
15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled, Non-touch

option 2
15.6" FHD(1920 x 1080) 120Hz TN+WVA Anti-Glare 400-nits NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled Display, Non-touch

from what i see on youtube reviews, the 120Hz TN screen is fast, but people complained about contrast being bad.
which would you recommend? i remember reading about IPS screens having technical issues like light bleed.
my gaming consists of Heros of the Storm, starcraft, diablo, some LoL, and for FPS Overwatch and CS:GO

Kayhan

How is the GTX1060 6GB for gaming?

The options for the 1070 are much bulkier and heavier.

I need to be elegant dammit.

K.Jack

There's no need until AMD or Nividia releases new laptops that significantly change buying options. AMD is trying to put desktop CPUs and GPUs (Polaris only GPUs) in high end laptops, but Q-Max isn't enough of a game changer for Nividia.

Yeah I'm planning a new thread around Coffee Lake and Volta.

looking at the Alienware 15 R3, the screen choices are:
option 1
15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled, Non-touch

option 2
15.6" FHD(1920 x 1080) 120Hz TN+WVA Anti-Glare 400-nits NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled Display, Non-touch

from what i see on youtube reviews, the 120Hz TN screen is fast, but people complained about contrast being bad.
which would you recommend? i remember reading about IPS screens having technical issues like light bleed.
my gaming consists of Heros of the Storm, starcraft, diablo, some LoL, and for FPS Overwatch and CS:GO

You'd be crazy to pass on the 120Hz.

Notebook Check measured the contrast at 990:1, which is in the upper echelon of what you can expect from 15" laptops.

You're regret not going 120Hz.

How is the GTX1060 6GB for gaming?
Good?

There are too many 1060 reviews out there, check some out.

Hey guys,

does anyone own a 2015 Razor Blade with 970m?
I'm wondering if I'm just unlucky or if this is common with Razer Laptops.

I've been owning my system for roughly 1.5 years and so far my left mouse button occasionally doesn't work, the rubber feet are falling off and dead pixels are popping up (I have 3 by now). I'm super bummed considering the system cost me more than 2000 bucks.

jdstorm

Banned
Hey GAF.

My Sister is looking to get a new laptop/tablet and she came to me for advice. So im comming here.

Retailers:
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/index.php
Https://www.mwave.com.au
https://www.officeworks.com.au/
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/

Max Price: 1500AUD its a hard number, closer to 1200 would be better if possible.
Max Screen Size: not sure. I would guess 15 inches.

Intended usage.

Your classic art usages. photography(Insta)/photoshop/light video/sound editing/drawing. Microsoft Office, general internet usage, videos ect. Her key feature is a useable stylus and ideally a creative suite included (or suggestions on good windows creative programs) Which is really important. As is screen quality (higher the better). Battery life is less of a concern as her current laptop is extremely old and she is happy enough using it while plugged into a powerpoint. She currently has a Mac and is thinking of getting a new Ipad pro, but i talked her into considering a PC due to better CPU functionality, better storage options and just generally more bang for your buck.

Im leaning towards a new I5 surface pro (but that is a bit pricy (1497AUD) and doesnt include the keyboard) or a Lenovo Yoga.

Thanks GAF

Yeah I'm planning a new thread around Coffee Lake and Volta.

You'd be crazy to pass on the 120Hz.

Notebook Check measured the contrast at 990:1, which is in the upper echelon of what you can expect from 15" laptops.

You're regret not going 120Hz.

thanks so much for the reply. my head is spinning after watching an endless stream of youtube reviews.. soon as a good sale comes up i think i will go with the AW 15R3

Hey guys. I don't really have room for a desktop PC in my flat, so I'm restricted to my laptop. The one I have can run indie games...but that's about it. I'd like something a bit beefier, so I wondered if I could get some recs.

Country where it will be purchased
United Kingdom

Maximum budget
£800

Max size
Anything considered

Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all)
Looking at my library of games, some I'm unable to play currently that I'd like to would be Amnesia, Darkest Dungeon, Dangerous Golf, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Infinifactory, Mirror's Edge, Portal 2, Rocket League...nothing too modern and AAA but certainly stuff beyond the scope of my current laptop. Perhaps not at max settings, but I'd like to be able to run them smoothly at a decent graphical level.

Retailers
Amazon
Game
PC World

Thanks for any help! :)

K.Jack

Hey guys. I don't really have room for a desktop PC in my flat, so I'm restricted to my laptop. The one I have can run indie games...but that's about it. I'd like something a bit beefier, so I wondered if I could get some recs.

Country where it will be purchased
United Kingdom

Maximum budget
£800

Max size
Anything considered

Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all)
Looking at my library of games, some I'm unable to play currently that I'd like to would be Amnesia, Darkest Dungeon, Dangerous Golf, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Infinifactory, Mirror's Edge, Portal 2, Rocket League...nothing too modern and AAA but certainly stuff beyond the scope of my current laptop. Perhaps not at max settings, but I'd like to be able to run them smoothly at a decent graphical level.

Retailers
Amazon
Game
PC World

Thanks for any help! :)

Is £800 a hard limit? The HP Omen has about everything you need, at £829 shipped.

It's not easy to get an IPS display, SSD, and GTX 1050 at that price.

Top Bottom