• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

MilkBeard

Which laptop is it? I know that mine as well as the R3 Alienware don't get many gains from it. But pretty much, unless you're hitting the 90s (by which point, you have throttling) then the temperature is fine.

I also can't imagine a laptop's GPU ever overheating before the CPU does.

This is most likely it.

A cooling fan is really just there for the stand.

Actually, now that I remember correctly, I was stress-testing it with Intel's overclock/performance test app, and noting the differences. The fan seemed to keep it from throttling, but I don't remember if I was testing it with and without the stand and fan off to see if there was any difference.

It was a Toshiba with a i7 and integrated graphics, so it was mainly about the CPU. The laptop was old, but it was reaching the throttle limit in the tests, but with the fan it would stay noticeably below. I don't remember the details, but there was some difference, but I can't say for sure if it was just because of the nature of the stand or if the fans were doing anything. I might do some tests on my new laptop sometime later.

Izuna

Banned
Actually, now that I remember correctly, I was stress-testing it with Intel's overclock/performance test app, and noting the differences. The fan seemed to keep it from throttling, but I don't remember if I was testing it with and without the stand and fan off to see if there was any difference.

I'd believe that it made an important enough difference right at the threshold for thermal throttling, but typically, if the CPU thermal throttles under normal use (inc. gaming) with nothing blocking its airflow (like, with a stand) there's probably a more serious issue with the laptop's cooling method.

Personally, I wouldn't want the extra noise and inconvenience of plugging in an external fan. I haven't found many test results that indicate using a cooling stand vs. just a stand.

That being said, a lot of the cheaper stands (like the Amazon one) can be used as cooling pads by buying the fans to go underneath.

MilkBeard

I'd believe that it made an important enough difference right at the threshold for thermal throttling, but typically, if the CPU thermal throttles under normal use (inc. gaming) with nothing blocking its airflow (like, with a stand) there's probably a more serious issue with the laptop's cooling method.

Personally, I wouldn't want the extra noise and inconvenience of plugging in an external fan. I haven't found many test results that indicate using a cooling stand vs. just a stand.

That being said, a lot of the cheaper stands (like the Amazon one) can be used as cooling pads by buying the fans to go underneath.

Yeah, that is a good alternative. If you have a gaming focused laptop, chances are the ventilation is probably better anyway and it's better to just use temperature monitoring.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Biggest issue I have with the Y520 and Y720, is the color gamut of the displays. They're both like 35% AdobeRGB and 55% sRGB.

That doesn't cut it in 2017.

Nice laptops otherwise, but I couldn't accept that.

Do we have a timeframe for when MaxQ gpus hit the market?

I wonder if the Aero 15 gets a 1080 or 1070 now.

Max-Q is a scam. Why fall for it?

Pics_nao

Well, fuck. My Alienware 13 R3 fell off my bed and the outer casing in the back (where all the ports are) cracked and part of it broke off. You guys wouldn't happen to know if they sell spare casings right? Hell, can I even replace that myself? Worst case, I may just have to cover it up but god that's gonna bother me.

fr0st

Banned
Well, fuck. My Alienware 13 R3 fell off my bed and the outer casing in the back (where all the ports are) cracked and part of it broke off. You guys wouldn't happen to know if they sell spare casings right? Hell, can I even replace that myself? Worst case, I may just have to cover it up but god that's gonna bother me.
Is that covered by warranty?

Fox318

Biggest issue I have with the Y520 and Y720, is the color gamut of the displays. They're both like 35% AdobeRGB and 55% sRGB.

How is it a scam?

At worst it's undervolted gpus in thinner laptops or it allows a price drop on non-maxq laptops.

ocean

Banned
Because you're paying an extra $1000 for the privilege of a thinner laptop.
There's a big difference between "something I don't value enough to pay a premium for" and a scam.

To each his own, but I'd never own a thick heavy laptop. I know there's trade offs for a slimmer profile (mainly cost and performance) but to suggest that it's a "scam" for this trade off to be offered is just silly.

K.Jack

How is it a scam?

At worst it's undervolted gpus in thinner laptops or it allows a price drop on non-maxq laptops.

Because you're paying an extra $1000 for the privilege of a thinner laptop.
That, and the fact that they are so severely downclocked and power constrained, that in some cases they will barely perform better than the full power card of the lower tier.

The GTX 1080 Max-Q has a base frequency of 1101Mhz, with a 90-110W power cap. This thing will be lucky to perform like a stock GTX 1070. It's a 1080 in name only.

Likewise, an 80-90W constrained GTX 1070 will come nowhere near the full voltage version.

It's marketing bullshit. Nvidia and the manufacturers will be charging you for performance you won't get.

Also, Nvidia ain't price dropping shit.

fr0st

Banned
Go into your Intel Graphics Settings control paenl. It should be running and in your tray. There, you can click Display, and then Color Settings.

It might take a second to get comfortable with how it adjusts colors, but I will give you my exact specifications, and then you can tweak the colors to your liking from there.

Setting #1: All Colors:

Brightness 37
Contrast 44
Hue 0
Saturation 3

Hit apply first to see how it changes this. You can modify these three based on your preferences, but I felt that contrast was too high. The difference is quite noticeable when there are a variety of white colors. Before, they all blended together. Now, I can see them individually. I also wanted the screen to be a little bit brighter so I increased it a few points.

Setting #2: Select Blue in the Color selector.

Brightness 44
Contrast 45
Hue 0
Saturation 3

You will notice how blue looks more vibrant than before. Hit apply, and then save this setting as a new color profile. However, I would say, before you save profile, get the color settings to your liking, because I don't see anywhere an option to delete a profile.

Also, apparently when you play a game, this color profile will be ignored and it will go back to default. To lock this color profile during gaming apps, download CPKeeper and follow the instructions to save the color profile with the program and lock it.

From here it depends if you want to have this program running to keep the color profile. I suppose you could just load up the program if you find the change worthwhile. I have just been keeping it running.

looks like CPKeeper is down or something?

I can't access it

Anyone else have any recommendations for a color profile keeper?

geckoomlet

Neo Member

1, Max-Q is another marketing crap. And not a very creative. a little thinner laptop. Pff. Instead of making a $800 laptop with stuff that people need and want (good display, good keyboard, mDP and maybe a TB3 port) and do another gimmick. But that's nothing new

Plus, how they are going to get it to be cool enough?

2. About the Y720/Y520 - you can easily replace the display

Fox318

That, and the fact that they are so severely downclocked and power constrained, that in some cases they will barely perform better than the full power card of the lower tier.

The GTX 1080 Max-Q has a base frequency of 1101Mhz, with a 90-110W power cap. This thing will be lucky to perform like a stock GTX 1070. It's a 1080 in name only.

Likewise, an 80-90W constrained GTX 1070 will come nowhere near the full voltage version.

It's marketing bullshit. Nvidia and the manufacturers will be charging you for performance you won't get.

Also, Nvidia ain't price dropping shit.

Nvidia may not but you have to believe vendors will want to get rid of stock that doesn't say Max-Q on it.

Let me live the dream man, I want an Aero 15 for 1600!

CazTGG

Well, it's been about a year so I thought i'd give my thoughts on my laptop (Clevo P751DM, purchased from XMG/Mysn).

First things first: I should have waited for the Nvidia 10 line to have launched before I got my laptop. I had a copy of Windows 8 that I wanted to install on said laptop and upgrade to 10 before the deadline and this came in on the very last day it was possible.

Performance-wise, it's solid. Without any overclocking, its 980M is able to play most games thrown its way with 60fps on high and in terms of rendering time for videos, the 6700K crushes my desktop in half the time it would take and takes on workstation applications with ease.

My complaints are few and far between. The sound is less than ideal, often sounding distorted at higher volume levels (headphones work fine), the fans can be quite noisy when playing a demanding game or working on a video and overclocking was a major pain: The laptop would not turn on if the RAM was overclocked in any capacity, which required me to reset the PC) and the CPU took some time to get it to work at 4.5GHz via the BIOS. It's also rather bulky but that's a minor complaint.

Overall, it's a good model. If there is any major disappointment, it's that I can't replace the GPU with a 1060/1070 down the line, which will lead to a number of headaches when I eventually do get a new laptop and need to either transfer over terabytes worth of video files or the SSDs themselves. I might overclock it to extend its longevity but for now its performance remains solid enough to play what's required of it.

geckoomlet

Neo Member
Well, it's been about a year so I thought i'd give my thoughts on my laptop (Clevo P751DM, purchased from XMG).

First things first: I should have waited for the Nvidia 10 line to have launched before I got my laptop. I had a copy of Windows 8 that I wanted to install on said laptop and upgrade to 10 before the deadline and this came in on the very last day it was possible.

Performance-wise, it's solid. Without any overclocking, its 980M is able to play most games thrown its way with 60fps on high and in terms of rendering time for videos, the 6700K crushes my desktop in half the time it would take and takes on workstation applications with ease.

My complaints are few and far between. The sound is less than ideal, often sounding distorted at higher volume levels (headphones work fine), the fans can be quite noisy when playing a demanding game or working on a video and overclocking was a major pain: The laptop would not turn on if the RAM was overclocked in any capacity, which required me to reset the PC) and the CPU took some time to get it to work at 4.5GHz via the BIOS. It's also rather bulky but that's a minor complaint.

Overall, it's a good model. If there is any major disappointment, it's that I can't replace the GPU with a 1060/1070 down the line, which will lead to a number of headaches when I eventually do get a new laptop and need to either transfer over terabytes worth of video files or the SSDs themselves. I might overclock it to extend its longevity but for now its performance remains solid enough to play what's required of it.

GPU can be upgraded, no?
Maybe it's expensive now, but wait for series 11, and get a series 10 GPU

CazTGG

GPU can be upgraded, no?
Maybe it's expensive now, but wait for series 11, and get a series 10 GPU

I asked a CS rep at XMG and this was their response, word-for-word:

The auxiliary power connectors and physical size mean that it is still not possible to upgrade from a 9 series to 10 series, this goes for all U models which end in a 5 or 6 i.e. U506, U726.

The Kaby Lake CPUs are physically compatible with your laptop's CPU socket but require a new BIOS and EC version to operate, without this they won't function in the chassis. If possible, the GPU upgrade from 980M to 1070 would be worth it but is very expensive - on the other hand a Kany Lake 7700K is on average 7% faster than your 6700K across the board so it wouldn't really be worth considering it as an upgrade.

Sorry I don't have better news for you but due to the way that the new 10 series GPUs are being manufactured the upgrade path is very limited.

Maybe they're wrong and someone more tech-savvy could correct me but it doesn't sound like it's possible on my laptop model to upgrade to a Nvidia 10. I don't know if a 980 notebook GPU would be compatible but that's the only manner in which I can think of an upgrade that would be compatible with the laptop.

K.Jack

I'm pretty sure that only the Clevo P870DM3 ended up being able to update to Pascal GPUs, and only because it had already been built to handle the full wattage desktop GTX 980.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Picked up an Alienware 15 (1070, i7 7820HK, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD) today, 10% off on the Dell UK website, and an extra £60 off after speaking to their sales support.

So all in all got a £2100 Laptop for just over £1800 :) Can't wait until it arrives.

I appreciate i could have got a cheaper model with similar specs, but i can't resist the Alienware build quality!
Enjoy, the thing is built like a tank.

Also weight like one too, lol.

I'm pretty sure that only the Clevo P870DM3 ended up being able to update to Pascal GPUs, and only because it had already been built to handle the full wattage desktop GTX 980.
Besides that, AFAIK the 10 series MXM cards are of non-standard sizes, and the required connection to the internal monitor was changed from LVDS to eDP
(not entirely sure on that last point, so don't quote me on that :p)

CazTGG

Okay, now you folks got me curious if a 980 notebook GPU would work in my laptop. I'm going to fire off an e-mail to Mysn to see if they can give me an answer to that.

EDIT: Just giving a brief look at the 980 notebook, it uses the same GM 204, die size and PCIE interface as the 970M/980M, both of which are compatible with my laptop. Here's hoping it works.

EDIT 2: Looking at the size, a 980 MXM module is 115x82(mm) while a 980M is 105x82(mm). Hmm...

Izuna

Banned
Code:
Faulting application name: forza_x64_release_final.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x592d768a
Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 22.21.13.8233, time stamp: 0x591d2c83
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000f5df4a
Faulting process ID: 0x3308
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2e55a940184a6
Faulting application path: C:Program FilesWindowsAppsMicrosoft.OpusPG_1.0.73.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbweforza_x64_release_final.exe
Faulting module path: C:WINDOWSSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositorynvhmi.inf_amd64_5968d4ac6c3a9ae5nvwgf2umx.dll
Report ID: 6877fb84-6206-4381-ba7c-01e543dd946d
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.OpusPG_1.0.73.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: OpusReleaseFinal

This fucking error.

I think it's a driver issue. ;(

Running DDU now

geckoomlet

Neo Member
I asked a CS rep at XMG and this was their response, word-for-word:

Maybe they're wrong and someone more tech-savvy could correct me but it doesn't sound like it's possible on my laptop model to upgrade to a Nvidia 10. I don't know if a 980 notebook GPU would be compatible but that's the only manner in which I can think of an upgrade that would be compatible with the laptop.

1. I really don't know. Maybe they are correct and maybe not - perhaps someone on notebookreview forums will know

2. You can probably sell yours for like $900-$1000 at least and get a laptop with a GTX 1070 for $1400 in the USA
Eurocom should have a 20% on the 15.6" X4E2 and with an I7-6700K, GTX 1070, 1080p IPS it will be $1300-$1350 (no tax needed, only shipping). It will be the difference in GPUs, only you'll get a new machine

3. Not directly related, but I would consider an I5-7600K which is less hot and will perform as well for gaming

CazTGG

2. You can probably sell yours for like $900-$1000 at least and get a laptop with a GTX 1070 for $1400 in the USA
Eurocom should have a 20% on the 15.6" X4E2 and with an I7-6700K, GTX 1070, 1080p IPS it will be $1300-$1350 (no tax needed, only shipping). It will be the difference in GPUs, only you'll get a new machine

3. Not directly related, but I would consider an I5-7600K which is less hot and will perform as well for gaming

I appreciate your suggestions. That said, I doubt my laptop is worth that much if it were sold given current offerings one can get for the same price and i'd prefer not going through the hassle of selling my current laptop and re-installing the slew of programs I currently have on a new one, not to mention dealing with any compatibility issues with my storage drives. In addition, buying a new laptop from Eurocom would be in the range of $2,000 CAD before taxes (which would have to be paid as I reside in Canada, same as Eurocom), even with the discount you mentioned on that specific model (currently, the additions I would make to the X4E2 equal 2,326 CAD before adding in a boot drive or operating software).

As for the CPU, I do a good amount of video recording and rendering so i'd be more likely to stick with a 6700K or upgrade to a 7700K than a 7500K due to the higher performance (the rep I talked to about the GPU also mentioned that a 7700K would be about a 7% increase from a 6700K since I asked about upgrading that as well though i've heard people having issues with overclocking them).

K.Jack

(not entirely sure on that last point, so don't quote me on that :p)[/SPOILER]

Yeah LVDS laptops were fubar with no exceptions.

The only 2 laptops that proved upgradeable were the one Clevo, and the GT72.

Okay, now you folks got me curious if a 980 notebook GPU would work in my laptop. I'm going to fire off an e-mail to Mysn to see if they can give me an answer to that.

EDIT: Just giving a brief look at the 980 notebook, it uses the same GM 204, die size and PCIE interface as the 970M/980M, both of which are compatible with my laptop. Here's hoping it works.

EDIT 2: Looking at the size, a 980 MXM module is 115x82(mm) while a 980M is 105x82(mm). Hmm...

Unless someone made a breakthrough I don't know of, it's literally not going to happen for you, sorry.

CazTGG

Yeah LVDS laptops were fubar with no exceptions.

The only 2 laptops that proved upgradeable were the one Clevo, and the GT72.

Unless someone made a breakthrough I don't know of, it's literally not going to happen for you, sorry.

Let me dream, darn you!

In all seriousness, i'm in no hurry to buy a new laptop since my current one should be fine for the next few years at 1080p; having the option to upgrade it at a later point instead of buying a new laptop or eGPU would be nice to have.

geckoomlet

Neo Member
I appreciate your suggestions. That said, I doubt my laptop is worth that much if it were sold given current offerings one can get for the same price and i'd prefer not going through the hassle of selling my current laptop and re-installing the slew of programs I currently have on a new one, not to mention dealing with any compatibility issues with my storage drives. In addition, buying a new laptop from Eurocom would be in the range of $2,000 CAD before taxes (which would have to be paid as I reside in Canada, same as Eurocom), even with the discount you mentioned on that specific model (currently, the additions I would make to the X4E2 equal 2,326 CAD before adding in a boot drive or operating software).

As for the CPU, I do a good amount of video recording and rendering so i'd be more likely to stick with a 6700K or upgrade to a 7700K than a 7500K due to the higher performance (the rep I talked to about the GPU also mentioned that a 7700K would be about a 7% increase from a 6700K since I asked about upgrading that as well though i've heard people having issues with overclocking them).

I tried!

1. Perhaps the biggest barrier will be the bios update. Clevo is not known to make it easy

2. About 7700K vs 6700K - don't know how much that actually matters and significant in practice, even though the *potential* is something between 5-15%

3. Why LVDS vs eDP has any significance here? this is an output signal, and it's not coming from the GPU. The motherboard is the one that providing the signal. I'm not too knowledgeable, but I'm not sure it is related

4. Moreover, it's true that the card itself is bigger, but this should still connect according to the standard MXM 3.0b.. That should be a standard. Maybe you should ask in more places

Kiraly

Would a 1050 (Ti) really be that bad of a choice? I am far off from being a frequent, hardcore gamer and just play occasionally (usually newer games though).

I live in the Netherlands and 1060 laptops start at around 1500 here, quite a big step up from 1050 laptops, and not sure I am able to stomach that.

Games I would be playing in the near future are probably Forza 7, AC Origins and Monster Hunter World. Would that be feasible with the 1050? Don't care for all the ultra whistles and bells you can add to the graphics, just wish for an enjoyable experience with alright graphics.

MilkBeard

Would a 1050 (Ti) really be that bad of a choice? I am far off from being a frequent, hardcore gamer and just play occasionally (usually newer games though).

I live in the Netherlands and 1060 laptops start at around 1500 here, quite a big step up from 1050 laptops, and not sure I am able to stomach that.

Games I would be playing in the near future are probably Forza 7, AC Origins and Monster Hunter World. Would that be feasible with the 1050? Don't care for all the ultra whistles and bells you can add to the graphics, just wish for an enjoyable experience with alright graphics.

I'm going to guess and say that with a 1050 and a good CPU, you will be able to play those games at 1080p and medium settings, but with lower framerates, or possibly at 900p for stability. Hard to say exactly, but here is an image I found of performance on Mass Effect: Andromeda. However, performance will vary a lot from game to game.

QkLuFFgzZjfTEgeuXXCqfg.png

dawgparty

So somewhat related to the earlier topic of cooling pads, does anyone have suggestions for some sort of stand that you can use on your lap when you're on a couch/in bed to be able to actually play games?

Izuna

Banned
THANK YOU WHOEVER SUGGESTING CLEANING MY DRIVERS

http://imgur.com/a/c66cq

Feast your eyes on what happens when you successfully overclock and undervolt your hardware ;) -- been playing for 2 hours. 74c max GPU, 81c CPU (no thermal throttling), medium fan sound no crashes!

1440p OGSSAA (ncp customer resolution setting) with MFAA enabled

maxed out, capped to 60fps via RTSS <3

edit: Uncapped the FPS so the GPU usage went to 90s and hit 74fps average. Don't like it though ahah

So somewhat related to the earlier topic of cooling pads, does anyone have suggestions for some sort of stand that you can use on your lap when you're on a couch/in bed to be able to actually play games?

Amazon Basics one is GOAT imho

K.Jack

can you downsample on laptops?

As long as the laptop doesn't have Optimus, or automatic GPU switching in general, you can downsample. As a rule of thumb, if you have G-Sync, you 100% do not have Optimus.

Just set a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel, that's higher than native, and select it in the game. Boom, that's downsampling.

geckoomlet

Neo Member
As long as the laptop doesn't have Optimus, or automatic GPU switching in general, you can downsample. As a rule of thumb, if you have G-Sync, you 100% do not have Optimus.

Just set a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel, that's higher than native, and select it in the game. Boom, that's downsampling.

Actually, you don't have to select custom resolution, just enable DSR

Izuna

Banned
Actually, you don't have to select custom resolution, just enable DSR

DSR is shit

--

So since the crashes are 100% gone (it was a driver issue!!!), I've taken to overclock the GPU more. I think I can squeeze out more memory (core clock is power limited tbh so I won't bother).

CazTGG

Sort of an update, but someone helpfully pointed me in the right direction in regards to potentially upgrading my current laptop: It's possible, but slightly tricky.

ChanMan

Curious to know for $800 or less what is the best reliable laptop. Mainly for multimedia purposes and gaming. I want to be able to play PES 2018 on it and a few other PC games don't really care about Ultra setting at all.

Tripon

Curious to know for $800 or less what is the best reliable laptop. Mainly for multimedia purposes and gaming. I want to be able to play PES 2018 on it and a few other PC games don't really care about Ultra setting at all.

The current Dell's Inspiron, Acer VX 15, or Lenovo Legion.

You might have to pay a bit more to get a better IPS screen on the Inspiron, and on the Legion, for the SSD. The Acer VX 15 comes with a SSD and IPS screen on it's default configuration.

ChanMan

The current Dell's Inspiron, Acer VX 15, or Lenovo Legion.

You might have to pay a bit more to get a better IPS screen on the Inspiron, and on the Legion, for the SSD. The Acer VX 15 comes with a SSD and IPS screen on it's default configuration.

Thanks doing a little research on it and it looks like the Acer VX 15 will be up my alley.

CazTGG

GPU? What MySN told was not correct?

Yes and no. From what I understand (i'm awaiting a more detailed response), it would require unlocking the BIOS, deleting several drivers and several other alterations, but it has to be a flashed 10 MXM module from a specific manufacturer (the Clevo card is too large) and it may require a custom heatsink.

geckoomlet

Neo Member
Yes and no. From what I understand (i'm awaiting a more detailed response), it would require unlocking the BIOS, deleting several drivers and several other alterations, but it has to be a flashed 10 MXM module from a specific manufacturer (the Clevo card is too large) and it may require a custom heatsink.

nice

There are some unlocked bioses for sale

Cyanity

Banned
Hey Laptop GAF, I need some help. A sibling just came to me with a thousand dollar budget and asked me to find her a laptop that has some power (not excessive) and also comes with an office suite, if that's possible. She's looking for form factor over beefiness. Any ideas?

edit - Country is USA, and screen size is preferably 15"

Izuna

Banned
Hey Laptop GAF, I need some help. A sibling just came to me with a thousand dollar budget and asked me to find her a laptop that has some power (not excessive) and also comes with an office suite, if that's possible. She's looking for form factor over beefiness. Any ideas?

I mean, if you want from factor over performance, it won't be a gaming laptop.

I'd start looking at Surface or clones ag that point.

As for Office suite... I don't know what deals you can get, but typically OEMs don't include Office365 with new laptops.

K.Jack

Good deal alert on Newegg.

15.6" 120Hz
7700HQ
8GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB
128GB SSD

$1,399

Look at the Inspiron 7567. For $949 you can get it with a 1050 Ti and the IPS display.

As said above, no commercial laptops come with Office software pre-installed.

Top Bottom