• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Right, so I think I've got it down to these two, after increasing my budget:

Lenovo IdeaPad 700 Laptop
Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz
12GB RAM + 1TB HDD
15.6" Full HD + WIFI
NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M 4GB
Windows 10 Home 64bit

£895.

http://www.ebuyer.com/782013-lenovo-ideapad-700-laptop-80ru00eguk

Asus K556UQ Laptop
Intel Core i7-7500U 2.7GHz
12GB DDR4 + 512GB SSD
15.6" Full HD + WIFI + BT
NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB
Windows 10 Home 64bit

£807.

http://www.ebuyer.com/768977-asus-k556uq-laptop-k556uq-dm1024t

What's the better brand here, ASUS or Lenovo? My Sister has a Lenovo IdeaPad (lower specs, Intel i5) and it's a fantastic and incredibly well built machine. Is ASUS a decent brand too? Also keep in mind I don't really need a monster GPU here, just something to play games like Sonic Mania. Predominantly I'm looking for something super quick to run Spotify and Final Draft, as a screenwriter so I just need something that's reliable and fast. Games are pretty secondary here. I need a work machine.

It would be lovely however to have something that can run Doom anyway, but it's not a priority.

So good choices? And is ASUS any good?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm at +160 Clock and +550 Memory atm (+10/+50 more than I thought was stable).
Good stuff. I really need to start testing the limits of my 1070.

Right, so I think I've got it down to these two, after increasing my budget:

http://www.ebuyer.com/782013-lenovo-ideapad-700-laptop-80ru00eguk

http://www.ebuyer.com/768977-asus-k556uq-laptop-k556uq-dm1024t

What's the better brand here, ASUS or Lenovo? My Sister has a Lenovo IdeaPad (lower specs, Intel i5) and it's a fantastic and incredibly well built machine. Is ASUS a decent brand too? Also keep in mind I don't really need a monster GPU here, just something to play games like Sonic Mania. Predominantly I'm looking for something super quick to run Spotify and Final Draft, as a screenwriter so I just need something that's reliable and fast. Games are pretty secondary here. I need a work machine.

It would be lovely however to have something that can run Doom anyway, but it's not a priority.

So good choices? And is ASUS any good?

If the budget is now this high (nearly £900), we need to be getting a modern GPU. This Optimus VIII is now going to be by far the best buy.

Just adding 8GB RAM to the stock loadout brings us to £806 shipped.

Adding a 1TB HDD and a 128GB SSD brings us to £868.

Then adding a GTX 1050 Ti on top of all that brings us to £897.

See what I mean? This is a way better deal, even if you just stick with the regular 1050.

Izuna

Banned
Good stuff. I really need to start testing the limits of my 1070.

I settled at +160*/+550

I'm voltage limited and I checked the performance with an unstable +200/+600 and it isn't that much better. GPU Boost 3.0 makes sure of that. Still, I get 1-3fps more in FH3 now :D.

MANGOD

Banned
Anybody got a 1050ti and playing Player Unknowns Battlegrounds? Just wondering what kinda performance you can get on say an i5 with 1050ti running at 1080p. Cheers

K.Jack

Anybody got a 1050ti and playing Player Unknowns Battlegrounds? Just wondering what kinda performance you can get on say an i5 with 1050ti running at 1080p. Cheers

Best bet is to check Youtube, I saw quite a few 1050 Ti users posting Battlegrounds benches there.

Manoko

Are there good laptops recently released having a 1060 6GB and a Kaby Lake processor (i5-7500 or i7-7700) that you guys would recommend ?

Asking for a friend.
Was looking at the Gigabyte P55W v7 but it seems to have a screen with a bad response time.

Thanks !

Are there good laptops recently released having a 1060 6GB and a Kaby Lake processor (i5-7500 pr i7-7700) that you guys would recommend ?

Asking for a friend.
Was looking at the Gigabyte P55W v7 but it seems to have a screen with a bad response time.

Thanks !

There are many laptops with that configuration of specs. Your friend has to specify aspects such as budget and form factor. You can get a core i7 and a GTX 1060 for as low as $1100 to high as over 2k.

Manoko

There are many laptops with that configuration of specs. Your friend has to specify aspects such as budget and form factor. You can get a core i7 and a GTX 1060 for as low as $1100 to high as over 2k.

I'd say around $1500-$1600 budget, form factor isn't very important.

Izuna

Banned
QFNhqTv.png

;( what the fuck?!

I got GPU gains with my new stable setup, but why are my CPU bound scores SO much worse to my scores a month ago?

*sniff*

Izuna

Banned
Edit: Cleaning this post a bit

I'm not sure what caused it, but Turbo Boost stopped working. I went into Bios, there wasn't any option for it, but it started working again. I am thinking that my PC required a full shutdown or something.

Edit: So my GPU performance seems to scale with the voltages that the CPU takes. Meaning that maximising my undervolt will get me better GPU Boost 3.0 performance (GPU is pwr limited after all). I wonder if there are any mods I can do to mitigate this. I really wonder if a better power supply could help at all.

geckoomlet

Neo Member
QFNhqTv.png

;( what the fuck?!

I got GPU gains with my new stable setup, but why are my CPU bound scores SO much worse to my scores a month ago?

*sniff*

1. Why do you care?
2. In systems like laptops, many times the system as a whole has a power / thermal budget. It could be that you gained in the GPU department, but lost a bit in the CPU department due to throttling or something
3. Again, why do you care? you want the bottom line to be good, not a specific line in a specific synthetic benchmark

Izuna

Banned
1. Why do you care?
2. In systems like laptops, many times the system as a whole has a power / thermal budget. It could be that you gained in the GPU department, but lost a bit in the CPU department due to throttling or something
3. Again, why do you care? you want the bottom line to be good, not a specific line in a specific synthetic benchmark

I cared because it was strange. I found out that Turbo Boost was disabled.

I actually have another issue where UWO Netflix will be slow when full screen. It doesn't always happen and I was looking for answers (power profiles, Gsync, refresh rate etc.) I still haven't found an answer.

The strange thing is that it runs better without the power adapter.

--

Anyway, I might consider limiting the power for the CPU so Turbo Boost only reaches 3.00GHz with 4 cores. The GPU only needs a little more voltage for bigger gains. I might remove some resistors, which is something I saw other people doing.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yes and no. From what I understand (i'm awaiting a more detailed response), it would require unlocking the BIOS, deleting several drivers and several other alterations, but it has to be a flashed 10 MXM module from a specific manufacturer (the Clevo card is too large) and it may require a custom heatsink.
Honestly, considering the cost of MXM cards and the amount of work that'd be required, that's a path I wouldn't consider worth taking. Unless you really, *really* (really) need your current laptop as it is but with a more powerful GPU for some life or death reason.

CazTGG

Honestly, considering the cost of MXM cards and the amount of work that'd be required, that's a path I wouldn't consider worth taking. Unless you really, *really* (really) need your current laptop as it is but with a more powerful GPU for some life or death reason.

It's moreso that i'm looking into possible paths for upgrading it in the future as opposed to going through the inconvenience of reinstalling the terabytes worth of programs, games and media files I have on my current laptop. The 980M should last a few years more but it'd be nice to have more options beyond using an eGPU. Options with...unlimited power!

t52C58N.gif

K.Jack

Edit: Cleaning this post a bit

I'm not sure what caused it, but Turbo Boost stopped working. I went into Bios, there wasn't any option for it, but it started working again. I am thinking that my PC required a full shutdown or something.

Edit: So my GPU performance seems to scale with the voltages that the CPU takes. Meaning that maximising my undervolt will get me better GPU Boost 3.0 performance (GPU is pwr limited after all). I wonder if there are any mods I can do to mitigate this. I really wonder if a better power supply could help at all.

The last edit is pretty spot on, as the GPU will take as much power as you can get it, wich allows the Boost clocks to run for longer.

I'd seriously be surprised if a non-overclockable 6700HQ and the 1070 could push even close to the 230W limit of your adapter.

Izuna

Banned
The last edit is pretty spot on, as the GPU will take as much power as you can get it, wich allows the Boost clocks to run for longer.

I'd seriously be surprised if a non-overclockable 6700HQ and the 1070 could push even close to the 230W limit of your adapter.

I want to know.

Is Core/Cache Frequency the only thing that affects the performance of my CPU? I'm asking because it looks like I can reduce the power to it and it can still hold 3.1GHz in 4-core operations.

Am I wrong in thinking that 4-core mode requires more power to hit maximum frequency?

If not, I'd be willing to normalise the frequencies at different core amounts to allow the GPU to suck more voltage.

EDIT: Oh YES! Will post results soon. Looks like it's working.

Turbo Boost Power Max 39.25W (45.00W)
+163/+540 to the GPU
-155mV (undervolting)

Works great. CPU only slightly worse but GPU at its highest.

Tripon

Whoa! I had never even heard of this brand until this post, but looking around the web, it seems like they're fairly well reviewed. Definitely moving to the top of my list for when I'm finallg ready to buy a new laptop. Thanks!

They're a Clevo rebrand, I think.

Nere

I know its a bit off topic but need tech help again with my laptop so 2 days ago started to get bsod around 2-4 times per day, I have gotten it around 6-8 times in a span of 3 days. This coincided with me and my gf going to a hotel and using hotel wifi. Now I have used wifi before on various places and had no issue, everything started when we came here. I have noticed it happens with things related to the internet like it happened 2 times when I tried to download a game from steam, 3 times when I started to watch a video on youtube, another time when I tried to watch a movie etc. all internet related, while it didn't happen when I was playing a game for multiple hours.

Here are the reports from the latest crush http://imgur.com/a/VXC2e http://imgur.com/a/LlP6U The previous crashes weren't due to the same file though once it was because of tcpip.sys and another because of wdwifi.sys and said system_thread_exception_not_handled. I scanned the computer for viruses multiple times with many programs found nothing.

I really need some help because I am in the middle of writing my master's project and I am afraid for data loss. Thank you in advance.

Nere

Back you stuff up because that sounds like a failing HDD. Check SMART, chkdsk etc.

I have the OS on an SSD I checked it's health with 2 programs both said it's health is good, I don't really think it is a hard drive issue think it has something to do with wifi or some wifi related driver. I mean the laptop is 1 and a half years old don't think the ssd is failing.

Izuna

Banned
I have the OS on an SSD I checked it's health with 2 programs both said it's health is good, I don't really think it is a hard drive issue think it has something to do with wifi or some wifi related driver. I mean the laptop is 1 and a half years old don't think the ssd is failing.

A WiFi driver causing bsods would be very bizarre.

Edit: Nvm, I didn't read the errors. I'll take more time to read.

Edit: Try to force an update to your NIC drivers via device manager.

Nere

A WiFi driver causing bsods would be very bizarre.

Edit: Nvm, I didn't read the errors. I'll take more time to read.

It doesn't happen only with downloading 3 times out of those 8 times I got it was because I opened a youtube video.

RoKKeR

I know it falls in more of the ultrabook category, but I just discovered today that Razer finally made a device that I would feel comfortable buying and being seen in public/at the office with... took them long enough! The gunmetal Stealth is a great looking laptop. No green, smaller bezels, huge trackpad, etc.

I mean, sure it basically looks exactly like a MBP now, but I'm totally fine with that. Definitely in the running for my next device.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know it falls in more of the ultrabook category, but I just discovered today that Razer finally made a device that I would feel comfortable buying and being seen in public/at the office with... took them long enough! The gunmetal Stealth is a great looking laptop. No green, smaller bezels, huge trackpad, etc.

I mean, sure it basically looks exactly like a MBP now, but I'm totally fine with that. Definitely in the running for my next device.

Shame the logo is still on the lid, regardless. So close...

RoKKeR

Shame the logo is still on the lid, regardless. So close...
True, but I do think it's pretty damn close to being acceptable. It's fairly subtle, and I suppose you could also throw a Dbrand on it.

Definitely impressed with the overall look of the device, and it is what I've been hoping they would do with it for quite some time. Will definitely keep an eye on it.

catmincer

Are there good laptops recently released having a 1060 6GB and a Kaby Lake processor (i5-7500 or i7-7700) that you guys would recommend ?

Asking for a friend.

Thanks !

I have this laptop. It's great but it's super loud to the point it's distracting.

Kiraly

Is it still advisable to buy a laptop with Skylake processor? Can get a GS63VR with i7-6700HQ and 1060 for a decent price, and was just wondering how much of an improvement the newer iteration is (especially in terms of performance and thermals).

Edit: After having read up on it, it does not seem to make much difference. Have decided to just go for it!

Vibed

I found a lightly used (about a year old, only for internet a few times) MSI GE72 Apache Pro-003 for $800. You guys think this is a good deal? I don't know much about PC specs but I'm trying to research...I'm also gonna use this for college work, but I think I don't mind the 6 pound bulk.

Also, it comes with an accompanying mouse and mousepad :p

K.Jack

Is it still advisable to buy a laptop with Skylake processor? Can get a GS63VR with i7-6700HQ and 1060 for a decent price, and was just wondering how much of an improvement the newer iteration is (especially in terms of performance and thermals).

Edit: After having read up on it, it does not seem to make much difference. Have decided to just go for it!

Yeah Kaby Lake gives no real advantages, outside of a 200MHz clock boost.

I actually advise to pick up the discounted Skylake machines, over full price Kaby ones.

I found a lightly used (about a year old, only for internet a few times) MSI GE72 Apache Pro-003 for $800. You guys think this is a good deal? I don't know much about PC specs but I'm trying to research...I'm also gonna use this for college work, but I think I don't mind the 6 pound bulk.

Also, it comes with an accompanying mouse and mousepad :p

So it has a GTX 960M? Hell no, you can get a brand new machine with a 1050 for that price, and a 1050 Ti for not much more.

K.Jack

Yeesh, news is in on the new ASUS + Ryzen laptops:

17.3" HD IPS Freesync 1920x1080
Ryzen 5 1600
AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB GDDR5
256GB M.2 SSD
1TB 5400RPM HDD
8GB 2400MHz DDR4
Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
£1399

Ryzen 7 1700
256GB M.2 SSD
1TB 5400RPM HDD
16GB 2400MHz DDR4
Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
£1589

They fucking blew it with these prices.

Tripon

Yeesh, news is in on the new ASUS + Ryzen laptops:

Ryzen 5 1600
256GB M.2 SSD
1TB 5400RPM HDD
8GB 2400MHz DDR4
Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
£1399

Ryzen 7 1700
256GB M.2 SSD
1TB 5400RPM HDD
16GB 2400MHz DDR4
Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
£1589

They fucking blew it with these prices.

Yeah, the 580 is roughly the power of the GTX 1060 right? No way, AMD gets a 300-400 price premium over Nvidia.

K.Jack

They needed to be a couple hundred cheaper than Intel + 1060 machines, just to gain any mindshare.

Pricing them above said laptops is objectively insane.

The 580 being gimped with 4GB RAM (desktop 580 has 8GB) doesn't do it any favors either.

Izuna

Banned
This is fantastic... It seems that I can overclock this laptop monitor to 100hz from 75hz

--

edit:
uGlzxDC.png

my mind is fucking blown at how awesome this laptop can be

K.Jack

Hey guys, I'm looking for a laptop for college (computer science) that I could also use for some gaming from time to time. I don't have the biggest budget at $850 or so and have been looking at this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFGDD8P/?tag=neogaf0e-20

but wanted to know if there were any better options or if I should avoid this model for any reason.

Best Buy is selling the best SKU.

By stretching to $899.99, you get an IPS display AND the GTX 1050 Ti, instead of a crappy TN display and the vanilla 1050.

Seriously the TN on the one you linked is horrible, so you should avoid it at all costs.

Tripon

Hey guys, I'm looking for a laptop for college (computer science) that I could also use for some gaming from time to time. I don't have the biggest budget at $850 or so and have been looking at this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFGDD8P/?tag=neogaf0e-20

but wanted to know if there were any better options or if I should avoid this model for any reason.
Only issue is that it's the TN version. You can go to Dell's website and pay $50 for the IPS screen or try to see if Best Buy has the IPS version online or in store.

Best Buy is selling the best SKU.

By stretching to $899.99, you get an IPS display AND the GTX 1050 Ti, instead of a crappy TN display and the vanilla 1050.

Seriously the TN on the one you linked is horrible, so you should avoid it at all costs.

Only issue is that it's the TN version. You can go to Dell's website and pay $50 for the IPS screen or try to see if Best Buy has the IPS version online or in store.

gotcha, how are Best Buys "open box" items generally regarded? I noticed they have a few of the 1050ti/IPS models in "excellent" condition for $80-$90 less.

Top Bottom