• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

F34R

I mean, if I could have an IPS and 1070, for less than I had a TN and 1060, it'd be a done deal.

No doubt. I want to go that route. It will come down to whether I wanna put down the cash in hand, or stick with the financing aspect.

Nabbis

Got some strange problem with my laptop now. Radio Switch driver fails to load at nearly every bootup and eventually leads to shutdown when playing games. I disabled the device and forced Windows not to update it. The thing is though that neither factory settings now system restore fixed it. Obviously updating the drivers didn't fix it either. Everything works properly after i disabled it now and it's a pretty useless device so im not worried for not having it working... but seems like a strange problem and i would like some advice on what is causing it. The laptop is a GT73VR 6RE Titan.

Blablurn

I plant to buy the new version of the Xiaomi Air here in China soon. It comes with a GeForce MX150. Will I be able to play Overwatch at 60fps with this one?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
NotebookCheck has 1080MQ benchmarks.

As expected, seems to be pretty much equal to a 1070.

And the 1070 is losing to the regular 1060 in some tests.

These things are jokes, because they are still charging full card prices. They have essentially released M cards, but with no discounts versus the standard desktop variants.

RIP to the wallets of the uninformed masses.

Got some strange problem with my laptop now. Radio Switch driver fails to load at nearly every bootup and eventually leads to shutdown when playing games. I disabled the device and forced Windows not to update it. The thing is though that neither factory settings now system restore fixed it. Obviously updating the drivers didn't fix it either. Everything works properly after i disabled it now and it's a pretty useless device so im not worried for not having it working... but seems like a strange problem and i would like some advice on what is causing it. The laptop is a GT73VR 6RE Titan.

Have you done a clean install to clear up the issues?

I don't mean a factory reset either. I mean nuking from orbit with a W10 download.

K.Jack

It's not shocking that the new Max Q line up was to rip off people. I heard that the Alienware 15 R3 wll start shipping with the new GTX 1080QM, but it's only 2% faster. I bet it's going cost a lot of money.

Oh it's a lot more money. I've seen the configurator.

It's absurd, that Dell offers the 15R3 with the 1070, and you can pay $400 more for the 1080MQ, a card that is pretty much equal.

Almost sound illegal. That is textbook bait and switch.

Anybody has an eGPU experience? I've got an HP Spectre x360 with Thunderbolt 3 support and I'm planning to buy a docking station for extra graphics performance.

Oh it's a lot more money. I've seen the configurator.

It's absurd, that Dell offers the 15R3 with the 1070, and you can pay $400 more for the 1080MQ, a card that is pretty much equal.

Almost sound illegal. That is textbook bait and switch.

$400 more?! It's much worse than I imagined fucking hell. I hope no one falls for this shit.

hp_omen_17-laptop_left_rearquarter_jun_2017-100725000-large.jpg
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3199...-prices-release-date-features-specs-faqs.html
All Prices are in USD

the red-backlit keyboard will offer 26-key rollover and anti-ghosting, full-size arrow keys, and WASD keys that can be highlighted.
The Omen laptops also let you upgrade the memory and storage, though not the CPU nor GPU. The upgradable parts are accessible through a single door on the bottom of the unit.

The Omen 17 will include an optical drive.

Omen 15:

$999: Intel Core i7=7700HQ, 8GB DDR4 RAM, AMD Radeon RX 550 with 2GB GDDR5, 1080p 60Hz display, 1TB HDD
$1,029: Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 8GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5, 1080p 60Hz display, 1TB HDD
$1,599: Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5, UHD 60Hz display, 512GB PCIe SSD plus 1TB HDD
(We assume the model with the GTX 1060 and Max-Q will cost more, but HP did not provide pricing or further configuration details.)

Omen 17:
$1,099: Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 8GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 with 2GB GDDR5, 1080p 60Hz display, 1TB HDD
$1,279: Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 12GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5, 1080p 120Hz Nvidia G-Sync display, 1TB HDD
$1,599: Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, AMD Radeon RX 580 with 8GB GDDR5, 1080p 60Hz AMD FreeSync display, 256GB PCIe SSD plus 1TB HDD
$1,799: Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5, UHD 60Hz Nvidia G-Sync display, 256GB PCIe SSD plus 2TB HDD
I/O:
1 multi-format SD media card reader
1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge)
3 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge)
1 Mini DisplayPort™
1 HDMI
1 RJ-45
1 headphone/microphone combo
1 microphone-in

Still haven't gotten my laptop, but I want the top Omen 17. Amazing and beautiful machine and fixed all the issues with the previous Omen. Though still no multi-color keyboard.

K.Jack

Only one of the laptops announced Tuesday will have Max-Q: An Omen 15 configured with an Nividia GTX 1060 GPU. Nvidia says the Max-Q technology will let that GTX 1060 give a GTX 1080's worth of graphics power, while keeping a lid on thermals and noise.

LOL PC World, you really wrote this?

What the fuck is going on man? The tech sites are really just going to shovel this bullshit over our heads.

Yeah a 1060 which is limited to 60W is going to give 1080 power.

hitme

Any recommendations of a cooler for a thin+light?

Just bought a Spectre x360 for some light gaming (but mostly work/edit), but it runs at ~66C max.

Found another microcenter deal, for $1199

I am saving up for something like this, but I am really reluctant to drop past a 640GB hard drive (what I currently have), even if this is an SSD and much faster than my 7200 rpm drive. I am waiting for a good i7 7700 laptop with at least a 1060 6gb and 16gb RAM for $1100. Maybe it won't happen anytime soon, but I can wait a few months to a year.

That RX 580 is a rip off though. It's very similar to the GTX 1060 but you pay 300 more. The GTX 1060 model is priced well though.

Ideally I'd be getting the $1,800 version with the 4k screen, 32gb RAM and GTX1070. But that version isn't available in Canada for whatever reason and also isn't currently available on the US site either. But I've emailed HP on its availability so we'll see how that works and I'll update you guys.

Link to the US site for anyone interested.
http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/gaming--1/hp-omen-397505--1#!&tab=vao

LOL PC World, you really wrote this?

What the fuck is going on man? The tech sites are really just going to shovel this bullshit over our heads.

Yeah a 1060 which is limited to 60W is going to give 1080 power.

yeah I don't know what's going on with that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N11JKA3/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought this pc.

Any general tips to improve performance? I have some games that are close to reach 60 fps, but still feel like it could improve a little more.

Should I tweak some settings in the system? or in nvidia geforce experience?

Dropping settings is about the only way to maintain the desired frame rate. I think the GTX 1050 is a decent GPU, but don't expect high settings at 1080p at 60 FPS. Using Geoforce experience might actually help you achieve the desired frame rate without wasting time on tweaking the graphics.

Ideally I'd be getting the $1,800 version with the 4k screen, 32gb RAM and GTX1070. But that version isn't available in Canada for whatever reason and also isn't currently available on the US site either. But I've emailed HP on its availability so we'll see how that works and I'll update you guys.

Link to the US site for anyone interested.
http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/gaming--1/hp-omen-397505--1#!&tab=vao

yeah I don't know what's going on with that.

Get the GTX 1060 model, or that's not available with the 4K panel? The RX 580 will not be able to game at that resolution very well.

Get the GTX 1060 model, or that's not available with the 4K panel? The RX 580 will not be able to game at that resolution very well.

I'm just going to go to get one from the US sometime in the near future. K.jack got me hellbent on a 1070. Certainly not going to get a 580 though. Also the 4k panel isn't for gaming particularly, just photography work and video editing. It's just a little annoying that Canada almost never gets the high end models. But I guess to be fair, currently nowhere (Not even the HP US site) is offering the 1070 Omen 17.

but I mean, at that price for all that you can't go wrong. Beastly and relatively affordable compared to some of the competition.

Nabbis

Have you done a clean install to clear up the issues?

I don't mean a factory reset either. I mean nuking from orbit with a W10 download.

I have not tried to do that yet. Is there something special that i need to know before doing this? I can't seem to find information if it will fuck up the raid configuration, for example.

Looks like i did not fix the problem either. I thought i disabled automatic driver updates through a registry setting fix but Windows did it anyway. This time though, uninstalling the driver did not fix the issue. Originally it's failure to load accompanied with events 7000 "CldFlt service failed to start" and 37 "App container profile failed with error 0x800700B7 because it was unable to register the AppContainer SID". Now these two events are still there and the crashes keep happening. The PC also fails to create a dump file with these crashes and i was unable to force a fix.

Edit: Tried playing games without the AC adapter, they worked fine but the PC crashes in a minute if i plug the adapter back. Could this be a PSU issue?

Suplexer

I've had to buy three laptops this year alone due to going cheap and/or used.

I am just going to bite the bullet and get something nice that will last me two or three years.

Gaming isn't an absolute priority, but if I am going to drop the cash I want to the machine to be somewhat capable. I am a college student so my main priority is bang for my buck.

I am looking at the Omen 15T with the following specs:

Windows 10 Home 64
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
15.6" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
1TB 7200 rpm SATA

With that setup it's under a grand which is my price point (I can't go any higher).

Would anyone recommend I go with this or have any other suggestions?

BibiMaghoo

Can anyone recommend me a laptop with a 120hz screen? Preferably 17 inch, and with no less than a 1060? I am having a real job finding this combination. I can get an Alienware with this but only in 15 inch, I can get plenty of 17 inch with 1060/70 but no 120hz.

Here is the kicker, I'm in the UK and can't import because tax would be awful. So I need an EU retailer. There are loads of models US side that are not here, or are called something else. I'm genuinely surprised I've found this hard to do. Max budget is £1700. I don't need a 4k screen and have an external one anyway. I have never had a screen higher than 60hz.

Can you help me Gaf?

Izuna

Banned
I have never had a screen higher than 60hz.

So why would you want one? You could get a much better laptop and a boss external monitor for high refresh rate gaming. With a 1060, you're going to be hard pressed to make use of that high of a refresh rate for modern games.

Anyway for £200 more: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-Titan...596545?hash=item3d3d2148c1:g:KvsAAOSwuMZZMvwP

For £1349: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-Steal...816712?hash=item1a2f209f08:g:bPIAAOSwMvtZU6ih

Can anyone recommend me a laptop with a 120hz screen? Preferably 17 inch, and with no less than a 1060? I am having a real job finding this combination. I can get an Alienware with this but only in 15 inch, I can get plenty of 17 inch with 1060/70 but no 120hz.

Here is the kicker, I'm in the UK and can't import because tax would be awful. So I need an EU retailer. There are loads of models US side that are not here, or are called something else. I'm genuinely surprised I've found this hard to do. Max budget is £1700. I don't need a 4k screen and have an external one anyway. I have never had a screen higher than 60hz.

Can you help me Gaf?
Don't know if its UK available but the MSI GE72MVR would be exactly what you're looking for. 1080p 120hz 17inch gtx1070 and would be a bit under budget.

K.Jack

I have not tried to do that yet. Is there something special that i need to know before doing this? I can't seem to find information if it will fuck up the raid configuration, for example.

Looks like i did not fix the problem either. I thought i disabled automatic driver updates through a registry setting fix but Windows did it anyway. This time though, uninstalling the driver did not fix the issue. Originally it's failure to load accompanied with events 7000 "CldFlt service failed to start" and 37 "App container profile failed with error 0x800700B7 because it was unable to register the AppContainer SID". Now these two events are still there and the crashes keep happening. The PC also fails to create a dump file with these crashes and i was unable to force a fix.

Edit: Tried playing games without the AC adapter, they worked fine but the PC crashes in a minute if i plug the adapter back. Could this be a PSU issue?

RAID SSDs? I would undo that anyway, and run them as separate drives. You see no benefits outside of synthetic benchmarks.

It working unplugged is weird. May be time to contact MSI support.

I've had to buy three laptops this year alone due to going cheap and/or used.

I am just going to bite the bullet and get something nice that will last me two or three years.

Gaming isn't an absolute priority, but if I am going to drop the cash I want to the machine to be somewhat capable. I am a college student so my main priority is bang for my buck.

I am looking at the Omen 15T with the following specs:

Windows 10 Home 64
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
15.6" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
1TB 7200 rpm SATA

With that setup it's under a grand which is my price point (I can't go any higher).

Would anyone recommend I go with this or have any other suggestions?

Buy this. You can't do anywhere near as good at $799.

Can you help me Gaf?

Try building one of these. The 120Hz screen is in the 'Chassis & Display' drop down.

Staying under £1700 is going to be hard, if you go 1070.

BibiMaghoo

Thank you all for the responses, I'l check those links out now.

So why would you want one?

To answer this specifically, because I play a great deal of older titles frequently, and will continue to do so. By getting a 120hz screen, I give myself a boost I have yet to enjoy on any system. It is my treat within the purchase, which will be paid for by work. As a result I can go no higher for any reason budget wise. I already have an I7 laptop with a 960. This is like my 3 year upgrade.

K.Jack

I'm a bit confused, because the laptop I mentioned has an i7 and everything else is the same for only $100 more it seems.

Are the i7 and i5 that comparable that I shouldn't go for the i7 model for only $100 more?

The Dell has a 1050 Ti and an SSD. The HP has a 1050 and an HDD.

Why would you pay more for the latter? In buying gaming laptops, you 100% always take the better GPU.

You can easily add an HDD to compliment the SSD, still be under the price of the Omen, and with the much stronger GPU to boot.

The CPU difference doesn't matter.

Izuna

Banned
What is the deal with the 'NO GSYNC' when selecting that panel? I assume it is possible to have a Gsync display at 120Hz, but just not this one? That would be a no go for me on this model.

Yeah, you really shouldn't go for those anyway. The Desktop CPU means it's beefy af and the battery life is non-existent.

The two I posted were the best deals from eBay. If it's paid for by work I will find something that matches your budget exactly (no reason to go cheaper in that case).

Suplexer

The Dell has a 1050 Ti and an SSD. The HP has a 1050 and an HDD.

Why would you pay more for the latter? In buying gaming laptops, you 100% always take the better GPU.

You can easily add an HDD to compliment the SSD, still be under the price of the Omen, and with the much stronger GPU to boot.

The CPU difference doesn't matter.

This is the information I needed, thank you.

I am not super well-informed on gaming PCs, so I appreciate the input. Will the laptop you linked cap at medium settings for most modern games or can I expect 1080p/High?

I never game on PC, but I really just want to be able to run Counter Strike GO, PlayerUnknown, smaller indie titles, and the occasional AAA. I care a lot about framerate and would really prefer 60fps, but I suppose thats to much to ask of a laptop for that price, right?

EDIT: I also should mention my budget is $900, so if there is something in that ballpark price that is better I am interested.

Top Bottom