• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

After having a chat with an HP US rep and trying out the configurations for myself. The prices posted by PCworld for the new HP Omen's are inaccurate so don't use them as a reference. Though that last one was too good to be true so I should've known.

Anyway though what's good affordable RAM for a laptop along with the best affordable storage options in both HDD and SSD.

Would be damn near $3,000 to get that Omen into Canada. Now if only HP canada actually offered options.

BibiMaghoo

Yeah, you really shouldn't go for those anyway. The Desktop CPU means it's beefy af and the battery life is non-existent.

The two I posted were the best deals from eBay. If it's paid for by work I will find something that matches your budget exactly (no reason to go cheaper in that case).

Only thing with the ones you posted is MSI..I have not had good fortune with their laptops. The one I have now already mentioned is MSI, and aside from day 1 cooling issues - it has throttled since I bought it because of cpu tems - both the hinges broke at separate times, and are currently superglued in place rather untidily. It's a shame too because the chassis is brushed alu, and so looks well crafted but in reality is a bad build.

I don't mind carrying a tank in terms of size and weight, It goes in the car anyway, but more than an hours battery would be good. I thought it would be so much easier to find what I wanted. Maybe I'm just going to have to not have some of the bits I want.

Izuna

Banned
Only thing with the ones you posted is MSI..I have not had good fortune with their laptops. The one I have now already mentioned is MSI, and aside from day 1 cooling issues - it has throttled since I bought it because of cpu tems - both the hinges broke at separate times, and are currently superglued in place rather untidily. It's a shame too because the chassis is brushed alu, and so looks well crafted but in reality is a bad build.

I don't mind carrying a tank in terms of size and weight, It goes in the car anyway, but more than an hours battery would be good. I thought it would be so much easier to find what I wanted. Maybe I'm just going to have to not have some of the bits I want.

Yeah, if it can't be MSI I don't really know.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This is the information I needed, thank you.

I am not super well-informed on gaming PCs, so I appreciate the input. Will the laptop you linked cap at medium settings for most modern games or can I expect 1080p/High?

I never game on PC, but I really just want to be able to run Counter Strike GO, PlayerUnknown, smaller indie titles, and the occasional AAA. I care a lot about framerate and would really prefer 60fps, but I suppose thats to much to ask of a laptop for that price, right?

EDIT: I also should mention my budget is $900, so if there is something in that ballpark price that is better I am interested.

Watch this Digital Foundry vid.

Anyway though what's good affordable RAM for a laptop along with the best affordable storage options in both HDD and SSD.

The best RAM is the cheapest you can find. The diminishing returns on spending big creep up insanely fast.

The MSI GT73VR sits atop the gaming laptop world right now.

What laptop do you currently have, a GT70?

F34R

Just a comparison regarding Max-HQ 1080 vs beafy 1070 lappy. Take it how you will. Is the cost difference worth the performance difference? Does the form factor weigh in on your choice?

MSI GT73VR with i7-7820HK 1070 GPU (all stock) SOURCE

3D Mark Firestrike 1.1 - 13878
Cinebench R15 - 135.62fps/762cb
GTA 5 - 1080p Very High
  • FXAA (No MSAA) - 111
  • FXAA (MSAA x2) - 105
  • FXAA (MSAA x4) - 95
Tomb Raider - Very High 1080p
  • FXAA - 100
  • SMAA - 97
  • SSAAx2 - 71
Dirt Rally - Ultra 1080p
  • MSAAx2 - 115
  • MSAAx4 - 113
  • MSAAx8 - 105
Hitman - 1080p
  • Medium - 110
  • High - 102
  • Ultra - 97

ASUS GX501V Zephyrus i7-7700HQ 1080 Max-Q GPU (all stock) SOURCE

3D Mark Firestrike 1.1 - 13697
Cinebench R15 - 96.19fps/724cb
GTA 5 - 1080p Very High
  • FXAA (No MSAA) - 113
  • FXAA (MSAA x2) - 109
  • FXAA (MSAA x4) - 102
Tomb Raider - Very High 1080p
  • FXAA - 133
  • SMAA - 123
  • SSAAx2 - 109
Dirt Rally - Ultra 1080p
  • MSAAx2 - 150
  • MSAAx4 - 135
  • MSAAx8 - 128
Hitman - 1080p
  • Medium - 96
  • High - 89
  • Ultra - 86
CS: GO - 1080p (not shown on the previous laptop)
  • Low - 230-270
  • Medium - 210-260
  • High - 190-260
Pricing
I configured them to be the same (except the CPU couldn't be changed on either).

MSI 17.3" - $2344.88
  • 17.3" FHD 120Hz WideView (16:9) Matte-Type 94% NTSC Screen (1920x1080)
  • 16GB 2400 RAM
  • 512GB M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive 6GB/s
  • Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Dual Band Wireless-AC N1535 - 802.11 AC/A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth 4.1 [M.2 Chip]
Asus 15.6" - $2772.26
  • 15.6" FHD 120Hz Wide View Angle Matte Screen (1920x1080)
  • 16GB 2400 RAM
  • 512GB M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive 6GB/s
  • Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Dual Band Wireless-AC N1535 - 802.11 AC/A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth 4.1 [M.2 Chip]

Been awhile since I've posted but just wanted to say I've been pretty happy with my Acer Predator GTX 1060. I haven't tried running anything crazy intensive but I've been happy with the performance on everything. It doesn't get as hot or as loud as my old MSI. The one thing I still haven't done with it is move it at all. The main reason I switched from my MSI is twice when I took it with me on vacation it failed on me when I unpacked it and I had to send it in. I'm still kind of hesitant to move my newish laptop but I will when I go on a trip sometime this summer. I see there's a newer model with a better processor but as someone who won't go above 1080p or do VR I don't regret upgrading when I did. Plus I feel like I got a decent deal on it at the time.

F34R

stupid good

that it's making me upset ;(

It's better than my laptop (same spec + better) while being a lot cheaper in dollars

I thought that is what was meant lol, but it's better to ask than assume. hehe.

I would grab it if I simply had the cash. :(

K.Jack

Yeah that was not at all a good laptop.

I should mention that I actually own a GT73VR, after having had many Clevos, and also the MSI GT70 and GT72.

The GT73 is the best I've owned, taking all features into account. MSI has improved the high-end 17.3" line with every generation.

stupid good

that it's making me upset ;(

It's better than my laptop (same spec + better) while being a lot cheaper in dollars

The warranty is stupid bad though. 30 days would scare me.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just a comparison regarding Max-HQ 1080 vs beafy 1070 lappy. Take it how you will. Is the cost difference worth the performance difference? Does the form factor weigh in on your choice?

Gotta say, I really like the Zephyrus. Really like. It's really no thicker than the MBP - hell, it makes the Blade seem a little thick. 1080p is the right resolution on mobile. 120Hz G-Sync is the right way to do this.

It's the $4,000+ Razer Blade Pro with a smarter screen selection and better cooling. Wish it had 32GB of RAM, though.

What I really want to see is a smaller, 13/14" model with a down clocked 1070 - now THAT could be beastly.

K.Jack

]

I've always thought the vanilla 1080 wasn't justifiable over the 1070. A slower version makes it an even worse value proposition.

hitmon

I'm starting to look for a new gaming laptop. I"m looking for something that will last at least 4 years.

Country where it will be purchased: US
Maximum budget. $2000, but lower the better
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight). "17"
Planned usage: Browsing, running FF XIV on high or ultra settings (if possible), Overwatch, and future games, possible video editing. Shooting for at least 1080p

I'm currently looking at the following laptops on Best Buy. Is G-sync worth the $200 premium between the 2 Alienware laptops? They appear to be cheaper than the Dell website. I'm not familiar with the quality of Asus, but noticed it was significantly cheaper.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-strix-gl702vs-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-armor-titanium/5712361.p?skuId=5712361

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5713009.p?skuId=5713009

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5713010.p?skuId=5713010

Thanks in advance

Izuna

Banned
I don't think Newegg sells in the UK, or ships.

No I know.

I was looking for a deal for a friend.

I'm starting to look for a new gaming laptop. I"m looking for something that will last at least 4 years.

Country where it will be purchased: US
Maximum budget. $2000, but lower the better
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight). "17"
Planned usage: Browsing, running FF XIV on high or ultra settings (if possible), Overwatch, and future games, possible video editing. Shooting for at least 1080p

I'm currently looking at the following laptops on Best Buy. Is G-sync worth the $200 premium between the 2 Alienware laptops? They appear to be cheaper than the Dell website. I'm not familiar with the quality of Asus, but noticed it was significantly cheaper.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-strix-gl702vs-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-armor-titanium/5712361.p?skuId=5712361

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5713009.p?skuId=5713009

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5713010.p?skuId=5713010

Thanks in advance

Well, for that kind of money you can get a GTX1080 laptop. Otherwise, the first laptop is fine outside of not having an SSD.

However, you probably don't need to go for a 1080 if you're looking to play FFXIV. In all honesty, a 1050Ti or better 1060 6GB would be enough (so you can get what you want for around $1000). The link I posted just above with additional waranty would be a steal too.

hitmon

No I know.

I was looking for a deal for a friend.

Well, for that kind of money you can get a GTX1080 laptop. Otherwise, the first laptop is fine outside of not having an SSD.

However, you probably don't need to go for a 1080 if you're looking to play FFXIV. In all honesty, a 1050Ti or better 1060 6GB would be enough (so you can get what you want for around $1000). The link I posted just above with additional waranty would be a steal too.

Thanks for the response and feedback. How well does a GTX 1060 handle emulators like PCSX2 and Dolphin? I forgot to mention I would also like to play Skyrim with the mods. That MSI does look pretty good at that price, what's their record on durability? It looks like the processor on the MSI is lower than the Asus, does that make much of a difference?

Izuna

Banned
Thanks for the response and feedback. How well does a GTX 1060 handle emulators like PCSX2 and Dolphin? I forgot to mention I would also like to play Skyrim with the mods. That MSI does look pretty good at that price, what's their record on durability? It looks like the processor on the MSI is lower than the Asus, does that make much of a difference?

I don't have any first-hand experience on the durability etc. but I can tell you that the 1060 is a monster at 1080p. Emulation will be fine.

Which processors are you talking about sorry? There have been so many links I can't keep track haha.

EDIT: Oh you mean the 6700HQ vs. 7700HQ? They are almost exactly the same.

You should decide if you do or don't want a refurb.

hitmon

I don't have any first-hand experience on the durability etc. but I can tell you that the 1060 is a monster at 1080p. Emulation will be fine.

Which processors are you talking about sorry? There have been so many links I can't keep track haha.

EDIT: Oh you mean the 6700HQ vs. 7700HQ? They are almost exactly the same.

You should decide if you do or don't want a refurb.

Oh good catch, I know it probably doesn't make much difference in the end besides price, but I prefer not go with a refurb. In your opinion, is GSYNC worth an extra $200?

Izuna

Banned
Oh good catch, I know it probably doesn't make much difference in the end besides price, but I prefer not go with a refurb. In your opinion, is GSYNC worth an extra $200?

I don't know about $200 just for it, but it is worthwhile having. Especially since it sort of extends the life of the GPU because locked 60 becomes a bit less of an importance.

You can use the link in here: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1396654&page=100000 to simulate G-Sync

SlickVic

This is tempting, though open box obviously is a bit of a crap shoot. It could be something as benign as someone realizing a $1000+ laptop doesn't fit in their budget and returned it (or the classic 'bought expensive item before SO found out'). Or it could be a lemon. I'd imagine a 30 day return period would cover most obvious issues though.

They do mention in their policy that open box items don't always include accessories, so not sure if that means it could be missing the power cord and/or battery?

Izuna

Banned
This is tempting, though open box obviously is a bit of a crap shoot. It could be something as benign as someone realizing a $1000+ laptop doesn't fit in their budget and returned it (or the classic 'bought expensive item before SO found out'). Or it could be a lemon. I'd imagine a 30 day return period would cover most obvious issues though.

They do mention in their policy that open box items don't always include accessories, so not sure if that means it could be missing the power cord and/or battery?

For a laptop, it'd have to have battery and power cord, but yeah. If you have the money available and the time it's worth it because you can return it after the fact.

So in I'm struggling to find a decent way to get a 4k/1070 laptop up here. So I might just settle for my original choice. As much as I want one of the new Omens, to import one it would be $2880 for a laptop that costs at worst $2,500. So unless someone can find me an alternative up here in Canada I think I'm going to have to go with MSI since I can actually just go into a store close by and grab one. The Omen's they offer here on Newegg are overpriced or are otherwise poor spec wise and MSI refuses to send me a 4k version as does HP Canada which is pretty unfortunate as I was looking forward to having one.
Definitely want to get it over the next couple of weeks though so:
Budget: 2,500-2,600CAD (2000usd)

Edit: fuck it. Just gunna get the MSI and build a tower.

Juno_

Neo Member
MSI GT73VR with i7-7820HK 1070 GPU (all stock) SOURCE

[ASUS GX501V Zephyrus i7-7700HQ 1080 Max-Q GPU

Just had to make a decision between these two to be my new laptop.As the price difference is about 500 euros(570 dollars) in my country, I went with the MSI GT73VR. Biggest minus against it is the weight, which I don't like as I have lug it around to school every day. But the excellent performance with the cheaper price is just too good to pass. Also excited for the keyboard as my current laptop has a small and terrible one, that makes my hands hurt. Can't wait until Monday when it arrives.

Nabbis

RAID SSDs? I would undo that anyway, and run them as separate drives. You see no benefits outside of synthetic benchmarks.

It working unplugged is weird. May be time to contact MSI support.

Tried the Chinese Bios, seemed to stop the crashes. Now im not sure if i should go for a GPU replacement or not, i can still overclock it to 1885mhz and it's stable... QQ

Sigh, i did pay 2k+ for this crap, might as well demand that it works correctly.

F34R

Just had to make a decision between these two to be my new laptop.As the price difference is about 500 euros(570 dollars) in my country, I went with the MSI GT73VR. Biggest minus against it is the weight, which I don't like as I have lug it around to school every day. But the excellent performance with the cheaper price is just too good to pass. Also excited for the keyboard as my current laptop has a small and terrible one, that makes my hands hurt. Can't wait until Monday when it arrives.

Great choice! I'm considering it as well, and returning the 15.6" 1060 6GB GS63VR Stealth Pro I have.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Country - UK
Maximum budget - £1000
Size - 13" to 15"
Planned usage - Gaming, (Killer Instinct), coding, and possible game creation
Misc - 6+ battery life, 1080p screen, thin and light, Windows 10, defcent graphics card

Help me gaf

K.Jack

I think that was a good choice. €500 is a crazy premium, to save a couple pounds.

)

Edit: fuck it. Just gunna get the MSI and build a tower.

Which MSI, the GE72VR?

Also, sorry for your Canadian prices. They really suck compared to what we get in the states. What you wanted is pretty much impossible, below $3,500 CAD.

Country - UK
Maximum budget - £1000
Size - 13" to 15"
Planned usage - Gaming, (Killer Instinct), coding, and possible game creation
Misc - 6+ battery life, 1080p screen, thin and light, Windows 10, defcent graphics card

Help me gaf

Check this out.

There's also the Inspiron 7567, which has crazy battery life, but I don't know if the UK model still comes with a TN panel.

K.Jack

Tried the Chinese Bios, seemed to stop the crashes. Now im not sure if i should go for a GPU replacement or not, i can still overclock it to 1885mhz and it's stable... QQ

Sigh, i did pay 2k+ for this crap, might as well demand that it works correctly.

Well if the Chinese BIOS is working, I'd let it ride. That OC is higher than mine.

Sherlock00

Neo Member
Country - USA
Maximum budget - $1000-$1200
Size - 15"
Planned usage - Gaming mostly, some remote work
Misc - Long battery life, 1080p screen (dont need 4k), I like build quality, and prefer something not clunky, so I know this limits me

Is the Dell Inspiron still the best option around this price range? If so, which seller is the best option right now, WITHOUT that TN panel?

Fbh

Hey Gamer Laptop GAF.... Mabye you can help me.

My 7 years old laptops died recently and since I'm looking for a replacement I've started to consider getting a budget gaming laptop. Some 15" device with a GTX 1050 or 1050ti.

My main focus isn't really gaming, I'm just looking for a sort of "jack of all trades" device. Something on which I can do regular work stuff like office, internet browsing, etc but that can also handle some Photoshop and HD video editing without dying and is able to run some games.
And I just really like laptops...I like something I can use in the living room or where I can edit a file in my bed on lazy weekend or edit a video on my (not too sunny) balcony.. and then connect to my TV to play some PC exclusive games.

Now... I really don't want to insult anyone and I know it all comes to taste... But I tend to not like how gamer laptops look. They often look so damn edgy and I just personally am not a fan of having a laptop with a giant "republic of gamers" sign.

Anyway.....after looking at a lot of models and reading reviews I've found a few I like.

- Dell Inspiron 15 7000.
Almost perfect. Doesn't look as "edgy" as others, has the best battery life of any budget gaming laptop I've seen and seem to run pretty cool compared to others.
The one BIG problem.... TN screen. That just sucks. I know in the USA they also started selling them with IPS screens but I'm currently in Switzerland and swiss, German, Italian and french Dell have confirmed me that their models are still using the TN panel and they don't know when or IF the option will arrive.

- Lenovo Legion Y520:
Also seems cool. Like the Dell it also seems to have a slightly more subtle design (I mean a ton of red but only inside and not THAT much). Good reviews and while made out of plastic the build quality also seems good.
The only bad thing is that battery life seems to be below average. Seems to be in the "4 hours if lucky" range even with light usage which is a bit low.

- Acer Nitro V15.
Had my finger on the buy button a bunch of times. On paper this was basically perfect. Strong hardware with a 1060, awesome design that just looks like a nice mid tier laptop, decent screen and surprisingly solid battery life.
BUT.... I read a ton of reports of this thing overheating. It seems to get really hot really fast to the point that it gets uncomfortable to use the keyboard... I also can't imagine that's going to be good on the hardware itself and I don't want a xbox 360 RROD version of a laptop.

-Lenovo Yoga 720
Pretty cool and looks nice. Also one of the few devices of this type that have a quad core CPU and a 1050.
It's a bit pricey for what it offers though ... And I feel like I'd be paying for a lot for features I don't particularly care about (touch screen, 360° turning screen, active pen compatibility).

So anyone own one of these and has anything good / bad to say about them. Are there other models you would recommend?
Thx

Deep down I know the best one would be a Dell XPS 15 ....but at least here it's way too expensive.

How's the £1050

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Preda...4AAOSw-29ZTVj7

Acer Predator 17 G5-793-72AU GTX 1060 i7-6700HQ 16GB 1TB 256GB SSD 17.3" FHD stack up?

I think I have the exact model. I've had it since April and haven't really had any issues with it. Doesn't get as hot or as loud as my old laptop. Haven't really tried it with really intensive games (I mainly play Runescape) but everything I've wanted to run at 60fps and highest settings (or a slight notch below) has worked great. Only real complaint I have is I think the ASDW keys look really tacky.

I think I have the exact model. I've had it since April and haven't really had any issues with it. Doesn't get as hot or as loud as my old laptop. Haven't really tried it with really intensive games (I mainly play Runescape) but everything I've wanted to run at 60fps and highest settings (or a slight notch below) has worked great. Only real complaint I have is I think the ASDW keys look really tacky.

75% of my issues picking a new laptop come down to the fact they look tacky 😂
I've got an Omen at the moment and I really like how it looks apart from all the keys being highlighted in red. I was contemplating the new Nitro Black but not sure about having my fingers burnt off.

Which MSI, the GE72VR?

Also, sorry for your Canadian prices. They really suck compared to what we get in the states. What you wanted is pretty much impossible, below $3,500 CAD.
The GE72MVR is what I'm going to grab then build a 1080ti or 2080 build around fall-winter.

It's not even the prices that are too bad more so than the availability and lack of options compared to the US which is the most disappointing part, mostly in the case of HP. But with a laptop like that and a powerful desktop coming in at the end of the year im satisfied.

75% of my issues picking a new laptop come down to the fact they look tacky 😂
I've got an Omen at the moment and I really like how it looks apart from all the keys being highlighted in red. I was contemplating the new Nitro Black but not sure about having my fingers burnt off.

I didn't really notice it until after I bought it. There was also an MSI laptop with nearly the same specs and price but my last laptop was an MSI one and I didn't want another because of how fragile it was.

So this post in the Battlegrounds thread has got my mind reeling. Replacing the DVD drive with an SSD? Sounds good to me!

But in looking up my Laptop's specs (Gigabyte P25) it also looks like I have a slot for something called an mSATA SSD? Now I don't know if I'm simplifying here but is it just like a regular SSD but smaller or are things more complicated than that? Because now I'm unsure if I should grab an mSATA and keep the DVD drive or forgo the DVD and grab a standard 2.5 inch SSD.

I was wanting to get my OS on there as well as a couple games (Battlegrounds obviously) to speed up my system so I thought 240 GB would be a good storage size. Is that sensible? Sorry for all the questions, this isn't my area of expertise...

llien

Dave Lee on Asus Zephyrus

This is not for me, but I think it's really cool to see innovation in the laptop space. Thank you Asus for innovating. Gaming laptops can be more than black/red accent copies of one another.

So, 1080 running at 40W lower TDP (at lower frequency) than desktop version, essentially what we would call a mobile GPU, just called something else and at insane premium... =/

Dreathlock

I dont know if this was a very good deal or a price error from Amazon, but i bought this thing yesterday from Amazon for 1590€:

hLgoIoA.png

5 minutes after the purchase the price went to 2237€:

iNmoHj3.png

The reviews seem very solid. 120Hz IPS with G-Sync sounds awesome. The only downside is that it seems to have problems with backlight bleeding.

Anyone of you guys got a G752VS and can tell me if they got problems with backlight-bleed?

And do you guys think this was a price-error from amazon or just a temporary price drop?

K.Jack

any good deals on 1070 laptops right now or coming up soon

This is a good deal.

When I'm upgrading the ram in my laptop, do I need to try to match what's in there already or will any so-dimm DDR4 2133 do it?

The faster RAM will run at the speed of the slower module, but there shouldn't be any issues as far as compatibility.

And do you guys think this was a price-error from amazon or just a temporary price drop?
Had to be a price error.

The Notebook Check review does have a picture of the IPS bleed.

Top Bottom