• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

All gaming laptops downclock on battery, because the battery can't handle the draw of a full GPU and CPU load.

You can go in Geforce Experience and change the FPS target while on battery. Change it to 60fps and see what happens.

There are no 1060 equipped GP62MVRX that costs $1699.

I think it's legit, might be one of the new 1070 Max-Q machines.

Ty, that did it!

Giggzy

There are no 1060 equipped GP62MVRX that costs $1699.

I think it's legit, might be one of the new 1070 Max-Q machines.

So I called them to verify as I haven't seen a GP62MVRX with a 1070 anywhere. They checked the box and it is indeed an error. It has the 1060. Not sure why they're trying to get away with selling at at $1699, and that's at $200 off the original price of $1899....

Any who, I need some help on figuring out what laptop to buy. I'm so confused and overwhelmed with all the options out there that I'm not sure where to start.

This laptop will be my primary PC, for home and for work. I would like something that has a GTX 1070, somewhat thin and professional looking, and has at least 3-4 hours of battery life when not plugged in. Does this exist? Any recommendations? I'm willing to spend up to $2500, but $2000 or under would be ideal.

Edit: I'm currently leaning towards the Alienware 15" with Kaby Lake and 1070. It's not extremely hideous, I can turn the lighting off, and put a sticker over the Alien logo if I choose.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So I called them to verify as I haven't seen a GP62MVRX with a 1070 anywhere. They checked the box and it is indeed an error. It has the 1060. Not sure why they're trying to get away with selling at at $1699, and that's at $200 off the original price of $1899....

Any who, I need some help on figuring out what laptop to buy. I'm so confused and overwhelmed with all the options out there that I'm not sure where to start.

This laptop will be my primary PC, for home and for work. I would like something that has a GTX 1070, somewhat thin and professional looking, and has at least 3-4 hours of battery life when not plugged in. Does this exist? Any recommendations? I'm willing to spend up to $2500, but $2000 or under would be ideal.

Edit: I'm currently leaning towards the Alienware 15" with Kaby Lake and 1070. It's not extremely hideous, I can turn the lighting off, and put a sticker over the Alien logo if I choose.

I recommend looking at this one as well.

You can go pretty nuts in the configurator (7820HK, 120Hz screen, 512GB NVMe SSD) and still stay under or just at 2 grand.

It's also very professional looking.

K.Jack

I've seen Sager recommended often but I've never actually seen one in the wild. How are they when it comes to build quality and reliability?

They are near the top of the heap, I've owned 4 of them myself, and I never had a single issue. I'd almost call them the most reliable. They never overheat, the chassis are solidly constructed, and the internals always have great layouts.

Then of course there is the inconspicuous looks. You wouldn't know they are gaming laptops, at a glance.

Plum

So what's the deal with XPS 13/15s and external GPUs? I'm thinking of getting an XPS 15 near Christmas for a good spec upgrade and the ability to do some light gaming (Overwatch, Dark Souls, etc). Then, when I get off Uni for the Summer, buy a Razer Core and 1070/80 (or whatever there is then) for added brunt so I can play some bigger games. Only issue is I'm really not sure whether it'll work, or whether there's any alternatives.

This isn't really a gaming question, but...

My mother-in-law has blue-light sensitivity, ie, LED lights give her migraines. We recently discovered that AMOLED screens don't hurt her.

Is it possible to replace a laptop screen with an OLED panel?

Would it be prohibitively expensive?

She has a 16inch Toshiba Satellite.

Quixzlizx

Anyone have impressions of this Massdrop offer? I can't seem to find any reviews for this model, and it looks like a SSD isn't included. I also can't tell what type of screen is included. I'm glad it doesn't scream "GAMER" though.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/msi-pe62vr-15-6-core-i7-gaming-laptop?1=1&utm_placement=0&referer=JHWJY9&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202017-07-15&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1500112179247.239805727239451439360033

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Is gsync worth it at ~$200 more for an Acer Predator 15 over a Predator 17? I want to get this lappy, but I don't want to spend too much, but that gsync thread has got me questioning my needs

F34R

Anyone have impressions of this Massdrop offer? I can't seem to find any reviews for this model, and it looks like a SSD isn't included. I also can't tell what type of screen is included. I'm glad it doesn't scream "GAMER" though.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/msi-pe62vr-15-6-core-i7-gaming-laptop?1=1&utm_placement=0&referer=JHWJY9&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202017-07-15&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1500112179247.239805727239451439360033

Looks good! My Spidey senses are asking "what's the catch" lol.

Anyone know of good Canadian sites to purchase a laptop from?
I've looked at newegg.ca, bestbuy.ca, amazon but wondering if I am missing any good resources (preferably with a good search/filter function)?

Izuna

Banned
Is gsync worth it at ~$200 more for an Acer Predator 15 over a Predator 17? I want to get this lappy, but I don't want to spend too much, but that gsync thread has got me questioning my needs

Gsync is incredible, yes

but couldn't that money to towards an external monitor?

My mother-in-law has blue-light sensitivity, ie, LED lights give her migraines. We recently discovered that AMOLED screens don't hurt her.

Unless the screens are made for the model there's almost no way you're going to do that.
Just get f.lux

--

technically we are all sensitive to blue light and most laptops will have a very cool colour temperature anyways. I just recently calibrated mine with an X-Rite i1 Display Pro and found that it defaulted to about 8000k. f.lux honestly should be all you require.

K.Jack

So what's the deal with XPS 13/15s and external GPUs? I'm thinking of getting an XPS 15 near Christmas for a good spec upgrade and the ability to do some light gaming (Overwatch, Dark Souls, etc). Then, when I get off Uni for the Summer, buy a Razer Core and 1070/80 (or whatever there is then) for added brunt so I can play some bigger games. Only issue is I'm really not sure whether it'll work, or whether there's any alternatives.

I'd Google it. I did and found a good bit of results.

Looks like it works, just be prepared to lose a good chunk of power, even over TB3.

Literally impossible to add an OLED display to her laptop\ if it isn't very modern.

The Alienware 13 Has an OLED display. The base package with the OLED added is around $1450.

Lenovo has a Business X1 Yoga with an OLED display option, looks like that'd be around $2,600.

That's the business version of the MSI GS63VR. Same internals but a business class shell, obviously way more inconspicuous.

Looks like you'd just need to slide in an M.2 SSD and it'd be good to go.

That's $100 off retail, not bad.

My laptops's G-Sync is worth more than $200, to me.

The 17 has G-Sync though, do they not? I'm sure of that.

Anyone know of good Canadian sites to purchase a laptop from?
I've looked at newegg.ca, bestbuy.ca, amazon but wondering if I am missing any good resources (preferably with a good search/filter function)?

Outside of places like Staples, those 3 really are the best references for Canada.

K.Jack

Crap ��
I was really hoping to find good laptop for gaming under 2k tax included. It seems every thing I am finding with a 1070 will cost roughly 2.2k-isk plus tax.

Yeah Canadian prices are really bad, so bad I feel for you guys up there.

You're better off crossing the border to buy one, if at all feasible.

Do the prices on Canadian Newegg also have taxes on top?
My MSI comes in this week, pretty excited. Bought Prey and will probably pick up RE7

Specs?

Quixzlizx

That's the business version of the MSI GS63VR. Same internals but a business class shell, obviously way more inconspicuous.

Looks like you'd just need to slide in an M.2 SSD and it'd be good to go.

That's $100 off retail, not bad.

Does that mean I'd have to take out the mobo to install the M.2?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Gsync is incredible, yes

but couldn't that money to towards an external monitor?
It could but I'm only interested in getting the laptop right now

My laptops's G-Sync is worth more than $200, to me.

The 17 has G-Sync though, do they not? I'm sure of that.
It does, but that would be an additional ~$270 over the base model. I was just comparing the two cheapest models, not sure I specifically need the 17 inch over the 15. I do like the look of the larger model here, but it would also kind of harm the portability for me.

Eila

What's a good HDD/SSHD to add to the Acer Helios? Wouldn't be buying right now, I just want to be on the lookout for a good deal. 2 TB of storage would be nice.

K.Jack

It could but I'm only interested in getting the laptop right now

It does, but that would be an additional ~$270 over the base model. I was just comparing the two cheapest models, not sure I specifically need the 17 inch over the 15. I do like the look of the larger model here, but it would also kind of harm the portability for me.

Well it seems to come down to how important the 17" display is.

15" and G-sync sounds good, since you mention portability.

What's a good HDD/SSHD to add to the Acer Helios? Wouldn't be buying right now, I just want to be on the lookout for a good deal. 2 TB of storage would be nice.

Well you just missed out on this.

Oscar

So I'm need of a gaming laptop now that I'm traveling a ton for work. I've set a budget of $1,300 aside, and I have my eyes set on this one

http://www.microcenter.com/product/478220/Predator_15_G9-593-72VT_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Blank

I mostly play League of Legends and Overwatch, but I occasionally dabble in RPG's like The Witcher III and Dark Souls. I also do a lot of accounting stuff for my business, so the number pad on the right is a must.

What do you guys think about that one?

TL;DR

- Mostly play League of Legends and Overwatch
- Use number pad a lot
- Trying to stay around $1,300.00 at most.

So the upcoming MSI GT75VR has a 120Hz display, with native HDR support.

That's insane.

Yeah, I guess this fall's and next year gaming laptops are going to be all about HDR. I know that Nvidia Geforce 10 series gaming laptops all come with HDMI 2.0 b. I wonder if they still support HDR through HDMI? hmmm

Speedwagon

So I'm need of a gaming laptop now that I'm traveling a ton for work. I've set a budget of $1,300 aside, and I have my eyes set on this one

http://www.microcenter.com/product/478220/Predator_15_G9-593-72VT_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Blank

I mostly play League of Legends and Overwatch, but I occasionally dabble in RPG's like The Witcher III and Dark Souls. I also do a lot of accounting stuff for my business, so the number pad on the right is a must.

TL;DR

- Use number pad a lot

This is the same one I'm looking at, although I was looking at the newer model with the i7-7700 instead of the 6700. This looks like a better deal with the lower price + GSYNC, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

About the laptop, at first I thought the design looked ridiculous, but it has grown on me, and after much consideration on all the laptops available right now, I think it looks the best. Reviews are really good for this laptop, too. I've pretty much made up my mind to get this one.

Oscar

This is the same one I'm looking at, although I was looking at the newer model with the i7-7700 instead of the 6700. This looks like a better deal with the lower price + GSYNC, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

About the laptop, at first I thought the design looked ridiculous, but it has grown on me, and after much consideration on all the laptops available right now, I think it looks the best. Reviews are really good for this laptop, too. I've pretty much made up my mind to get this one.
Yeah bro I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on it tomorrow. You sure it supports GSync? I thought it just "supported" the tech. Like for an external monitor.

Speedwagon

Yeah bro I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on it tomorrow. You sure it supports GSync? I thought it just "supported" the tech. Like for an external monitor.

Yeah, I searched the model number and the Amazon listing has GSYNC in the title/description whereas the other models don't. Also on Acer's website.

I believe the GPU (the GTX 1060) is what "supports" GSYNC, so that other explaination wouldn't make sense when the other models have the same GPU.

TL;DR

- Use number pad a lot

It's identical to the one have except a little smaller (I have the Acer Predator 17). Had it since April and I've had 0 issues with it.

Plum

I'd Google it. I did and found a good bit of results.

Looks like it works, just be prepared to lose a good chunk of power, even over TB3.

When I googled it all I found were "it doesn't work" results. It's still really unclear, especially if I want it to be "plug and play" so I don't have to deal with tons of hassle.

And how much power are we talking? I'm fine if it can do 1080p/60 with a 1080 or whatever else is out by then.

EDIT: I'm also considering an Alienware 13 R3 w/1050 ti and then the Graphics Amplifier but I'm worried about battery life with that, I need at least around 6-7 hours doing menial school work.

Izuna

Banned
When I googled it all I found were "it doesn't work" results. It's still really unclear, especially if I want it to be "plug and play" so I don't have to deal with tons of hassle.

And how much power are we talking? I'm fine if it can do 1080p/60 with a 1080 or whatever else is out by then.

EDIT: I'm also considering an Alienware 13 R3 w/1050 ti and then the Graphics Amplifier but I'm worried about battery life with that, I need at least around 6-7 hours doing menial school work.

AGA requires you to restart the laptop.

K.Jack

I believe so, it would be an additional 12% on top of the displayed price. It's pretty brutal.

A 1070 for 2 grand seems unfeasible then, unfortunately.

How are they implementing HDR, local dimming? If so, wow.

The details haven't come out yet, but that's a huge leap for laptop screen technology,

Notebookcheck got 8h 44m on min brightness and no Wi-Fi
5h 20m surfing the web
5h 58m watching 1080p videos

Yo someone talk me out of getting this one in a few hours

Acer Predator 15 G9-593-72VT

http://www.microcenter.com/product/478220/Predator_15_G9-593-72VT_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

It will be $1,300 after tax.

Just buy it, it's a great deal.

Plum

AGA requires you to restart the laptop.

That should be fine. With an SSD boot times are such a non-issue now that having to do it once at the end of the day is OK, especially when I'll be using it when I'm back at home during the Summer next year. Definitely worth it over the convenience of Razer's solution at an extra £300+ (£500 for the Core in the UK is daylight robbery).

Notebookcheck got 8h 44m on min brightness and no Wi-Fi
5h 20m surfing the web
5h 58m watching 1080p videos

Yeah I saw. Was basing mine of Linus' review which used the PCMark benchmark thingy. Had a second look and that was whilst doing stuff like video chat, editing, etc. Did some more digging and it seems to be comparable to an XPS 15 so I think I'll go with the AW13.

I've yet to decide whether to stick with the cheaper 1050ti option or go all out on the 1060+OLED option. Would be nice to have the latter but I don't know whether I really need it.

Max_Po

Banned
Hey guys, I am in Toronto, ON Canada.

What route should I take to sell my new Alienware 13r3-OLED i7-16 gig RAM, 256 gig Samsung SSD-Killer 1535 Wireless ?(Replacement from DELL). Paid a bit more than 2500 CDN after taxes....

Since I won't be gaming I got a DELL XPS as well and I have not sued the Alienware.. I am just panicking because I do not want to sell on eBay and pay 10% to eBay's Fee and 10% to PayPal-fees on top of selling it below retail.

K.Jack

That should be fine. With an SSD boot times are such a non-issue now that having to do it once at the end of the day is OK, especially when I'll be using it when I'm back at home during the Summer next year. Definitely worth it over the convenience of Razer's solution at an extra £300+ (£500 for the Core in the UK is daylight robbery).

Yeah I saw. Was basing mine of Linus' review which used the PCMark benchmark thingy. Had a second look and that was whilst doing stuff like video chat, editing, etc. Did some more digging and it seems to be comparable to an XPS 15 so I think I'll go with the AW13.

I've yet to decide whether to stick with the cheaper 1050ti option or go all out on the 1060+OLED option. Would be nice to have the latter but I don't know whether I really need it.

When it comes to gaming laptops, which hold GPUs that can't be upgraded, you don't buy what you need, you buy what you can afford.

You may only need a 1050 Ti today, but in 2-3 years the 1060 will still be giving you what the 10550 Ti is today. Always shoot for longevity.

Hey guys, I am in Toronto, ON Canada.

What route should I take to sell my new Alienware 13r3-OLED i7-16 gig RAM, 256 gig Samsung SSD-Killer 1535 Wireless ?(Replacement from DELL). Paid a bit more than 2500 CDN after taxes....

Since I won't be gaming I got a DELL XPS as well and I have not sued the Alienware.. I am just panicking because I do not want to sell on eBay and pay 10% to eBay's Fee and 10% to PayPal-fees on top of selling it below retail.

Is there a Canadian Cragslist alternative?

Or try selling it on GAF, in the Buy / Sell / Trade thread.

General question here: What's everyone's opinion on referb or open box laptops from newegg, amazon or best buy?

As a rule of thumb I generally stay far away from anything redurb'd or used unless I don't give a shit if it lasts but sota thinking maybe I'm being stupid to automatically dismiss it.

KillLaCam

Banned
General question here: What's everyone's opinion on referb or open box laptops from newegg, amazon or best buy?

As a rule of thumb I generally stay far away from anything redurb'd or used unless I don't give a shit if it lasts but sota thinking maybe I'm being stupid to automatically dismiss it.
As long as they include a decent warranty I think it's safe to buy refurbished

So, my laptop seems to have very shit battery life. I bought ASUS ROG GL502VM-DS74 this week, and the battery only lasts maybe an hour, even when just browsing the internet. I was expecting at least 2.5-3 doing internet stuff. The little batter time remaining at the bottom has never said anything more than an hour and fifteen minutes from full charge to dead.

I changed it to balanced power mode and screen brightness to 25%. I notice my cpu is running in the upper 3 GHZ and not downclocking much, even when just using google chrome. Any tips?

K.Jack

I am not a fan of laptops that don't have at least 1yr of warranty.

So, my laptop seems to have very shit battery life. I bought ASUS ROG GL502VM-DS74 this week, and the battery only lasts maybe an hour, even when just browsing the internet. I was expecting at least 2.5-3 doing internet stuff. The little batter time remaining at the bottom has never said anything more than an hour and fifteen minutes from full charge to dead.

I changed it to balanced power mode and screen brightness to 25%. I notice my cpu is running in the upper 3 GHZ and not downclocking much, even when just using google chrome. Any tips?
I've done a run through of several reviews, with both 1060 and 1070 SKUs, and 3 hours while web browsing seems to be the general consensus.

So something definitely seems wrong with yours. The CPU constantly running full speed isn't right either.

Few questions for you:

Do you get more by turning off the keyboard lighting?
Does the CPU downclock on Power Saver?
On the CPU, Is their any ASUS specific software that controls CPU/GPU clocks? I'm wondering if that may be set to a high performance mode which is keeping the clock at full. Oh and is your GPU downclocking?

Top Bottom