• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Appreciate the 'if-only' offer - thanks all the same.

Sadly there's nothing available to Aussie ebayers under $200. I've emailed LBO and we'll see what pans out! I think I've talked myself into spending a little on it, rather than a lot on a new one. I might even end up with a 7970M.

Last time I checked, there's no sound over HDMI, if you upgrade to the 7970M. That may not matter to you, just fyi.

Hi PC GAF, I need a fast new laptop because my old HP is in a very bad shape. I have my eyes on the Acer Aspire V5-573G. It costs 775 euro at a shop here in the Netherlands. Screen quality is very important to me and this one has a 15.6" IPS 1920x1080 display which is very nice.

The specs of this laptop.

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850m 4096 MB
- Intel Core i5-4210U processor 1.7GHz (maximum turbo frequency 2.7GHz)
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- 500GB HDD

Is this good value for my money? Can I play most recent games at high settings with this laptop?
I'd expect medium settings.

The second one is the same card, just built for a slot your laptop doesn't have. The 7260 is a good choice, if you have or plan to have a router that can take advantage of the AC. Otherwise I'd go with something like the Intel 6300.

So I am thinking about replacing my laptop with a gaming one, I am in the US for the next 2 weeks and a half, so my laptop requirements would be as below:

- Price up to $1250-$1300
- 15.6" would be nice
- The build quality needs to be good, I won't have access to warranty soon because I'll go back to my home country (Brazil)

I have been looking at Sager laptops but my problem with them is that they don't seem to come with any OS and I'm also really doubtful they would be durable. I took a look at those Lenovo Y50s but the complaints about the screen turned me off.

I have also seen the ROG G750JM, one friend of mine has one but it seems too heavy, I might end up getting it. So, any recommendations ?

Got my GT60 today. The thing is heavy and big, lol. I'm coming from a Y470 so the extra 1.6" and 2 pounds seem to be what's bothering me. I also don't like how the LCD screen isn't flush with palm rest when the lid is closed.

I might return it. But my options for a power device are limited. Did see cyber power and origin have a new lightweight, optical less 15.6 option. No reviews and starts shipping after the 11th.

K.Jack

So I am thinking about replacing my laptop with a gaming one, I am in the US for the next 2 weeks and a half, so my laptop requirements would be as below:

- Price up to $1250-$1300
- 15.6" would be nice
- The build quality needs to be good, I won't have access to warranty soon because I'll go back to my home country (Brazil)

I have been looking at Sager laptops but my problem with them is that they don't seem to come with any OS and I'm also really doubtful they would be durable. I took a look at those Lenovo Y50s but the complaints about the screen turned me off.

I have also seen the ROG G750JM, one friend of mine has one but it seems too heavy, I might end up getting it. So, any recommendations ?

Well, the G750 comes with a year of global warranty, so you may be safest with that option.

Got my GT60 today. The thing is heavy and big, lol. I'm coming from a Y470 so the extra 1.6" and 2 pounds seem to be what's bothering me. I also don't like how the LCD screen isn't flush with palm rest when the lid is closed.

I might return it. But my options for a power device are limited. Did see cyber power and origin have a new lightweight, optical less 15.6 option. No reviews and starts shipping after the 11th.

I'm trying to find what laptop that's a rebrand of (Origin and Cyber don't produce their own laptops), but no luck so far.

It's a Gigabyte P35W. I just got off the phone with Xoticpc. The CSR couldn't figure it out either. But he felt like he narrowed it down to the Gigabyte. He said it was probably a barebones. He couldn't explain the difference in price except for the msata SSD and the Cyberpower warranty.

K.Jack

Yeah I saw ''Supra-Cool' on an article about the Cyberpower machine, and that came back to Gigabyte.

I also figured out that the Origin laptop (different because it has no optical drive while the P35W and Cyberpower machine do) is a rebranded MSI GS60 Ghost Pro.

Yeah, just read a review and checked ol notebook review. High temps, noise and if you're not buying from I buy power or cyber power, you can't cut the cost down.

Seriously, there are always compromises with these notebooks...especially post tablet and ultra books.

Looking to get a gaming laptop that'll get me through my remaining few years of school.
Canada
2,000$
17 inches is the largest I'd go.
I'd like the build quality to be good as I'll be carrying it around all day with me from class to class.
Usage wise I have a lot of video editing to do as I'm a film student. In regards to games I'm not positive what I am looking for. I've had Alan Wake on my previous laptop but I have never been able to get it to run well enough to justify playing it.
I'm fairly new to all this, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all, haha.

I'm currently leaning towards the Alienware 17 mid-tier model.

So I decided to give the GT60 a shot. Right out of the box, the F10 key stays stuck. Then they upgraded the wireless card and I chose to not have a hard drive.

So when I loaded up Windows and tried the drivers disc they sent, I couldn't connect to my wired or wireless network. Also the media card slot drivers don't work. Lol.

Shout out to the "testing" done by MSI or XoticPC. Probably going to return it for my money. Not sure what my next option is.

K.Jack

Looking to get a gaming laptop that'll get me through my remaining few years of school.
Canada
2,000$
17 inches is the largest I'd go.
I'd like the build quality to be good as I'll be carrying it around all day with me from class to class.
Usage wise I have a lot of video editing to do as I'm a film student. In regards to games I'm not positive what I am looking for. I've had Alan Wake on my previous laptop but I have never been able to get it to run well enough to justify playing it.
I'm fairly new to all this, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all, haha.

I'm currently leaning towards the Alienware 17 mid-tier model.
At which AW17 config and price are you looking?

So I decided to give the GT60 a shot. Right out of the box, the F10 key stays stuck. Then they upgraded the wireless card and I chose to not have a hard drive.

So when I loaded up Windows and tried the drivers disc they sent, I couldn't connect to my wired or wireless network. Also the media card slot drivers don't work. Lol.

Shout out to the "testing" done by MSI or XoticPC. Probably going to return it for my money. Not sure what my next option is.

Sounds like a lemon. Sorry that's happening to you. You may want to try out a Gigabyte.

QP3

My lenovo Y40 will be coming later this week. It's my first PC. Anyone have experience with it?

Also, anyone know if it would be upgradeable? Specs below:

Intel core i7
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
AMD Radeon M9 275

Dawg

Looking for a laptop so I can watch movies, TV shows, do some work (Office, Photoshop, ...) and play flash/unity games on it (I'm addicted to Kongregate :p) because I'll probably be away from home for a while.

Maximum budget: €400-500
Max size: doesn't really matter. Currently have an old 17,3". Could probably do a bit smaller if needed.
Planned usage: As said above -> Movies/TV, Photoshop/Word and flash/unity games mostly. Maybe an indie game here and there.
Whatever else you find relevant: Some decent battery life would be nice. Also nothing too noisy. I can't stand loud fans etc.

I'm currently using an older Packard Bell laptop with the following specs:

W8.1
Intel B960 processor (2,20GHz)
Intel HD graphics
4GB DDR3 Memory
500 GB HDD

It has gotten slow though. It also gets quite a few framedrops when playing flash games. I'm not really good with laptop hardware, but I bet it's the Intel GPU? Simply too weak and barely powerful enough to run flash games?

In any case, I'd like something that can run flash games perfectly fine, even the more intensive games. And something that lasts, because this Packard Bell isn't even _that_ old. I think it's only 1,5yrs old.

Hey GAF, how goes it.

Seeing this thread intrigued me greatly as I've just about had it up to here with my laptop.

I don't really plan on gaming too much on my laptop. (But I wouldn't be averse to being ABLE to play some stuff. Maybe even jump into Steam and gain a sizeable backlog of cheap fun games)

I really just want to be able to work on my design works without my damn laptop deciding to slow down to a crawl as I'm in Illustrator or Photoshop. Anyway, here are my current specs:

HP Compaq CQ60-211DX Notebook,
2.16GHz Intel,
15.6" Diagonal High Definition, (1366x768)
2048MB Memory,
160GB H
Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

Perhaps I can just buy larger memory chips and add it to it? like the 2x 4GB linked to before? (Ignorant on this)

And here is what I'm looking for:

Budget: Around $400.00

Size: 14" to 16" is fine.

Usage: I plan on using this for my Graphic Designs and light gaming if it happens. But mostly just the adobe suite

Operating System: Windows 7 would be great. I do have Win 7 CDs that I can probably make work if Win 8 is what it comes with.

Storage: I'm horrible with this. I get confused between the differences of SSD and the like. I recently bought a new HD for this crud laptop (750GB) so I can always just throw that in there...I hope.

Memory: I've been working with a 2GB for the last 5 years. I get a chance to do design work just fine on my GF's Toshiba Satellite I believe..and thats 4GB so I guess I'm fine with that too? If I can get higher without breaking the budget, then sweet applesauce.

Graphics Card: I have no idea. From what I gather, AMD is nonsense though. But would that matter if I'm mostly using it for designs and general purpose use?

Battery: if it can last more than few hours unplugged.

I'm sorry it's not truly a gaming laptop I'm looking for, and perhaps there was another forum to search but, you know. I like GAF :)

Thanks folks

Edit -

Also, would this be more of what I'm looking for? Price is pretty right and its definitely better than my piece of cra.

"Intel Celeron N2830 2.16 GHz Processor (1 MB Cache)
4 GB DDR3L SDRAM
500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics
Windows 8.1, 4.5-hour battery life"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2O4TI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

thanks!

Well, I'm pretty sure it's just a rebranded Clevo, which are machines you don't have to worry about breaking down easily.

As far as the SSD, yeah that's a loss, but when the purpose of this thread is really to get people the most GPU power for their money, and the 860M is 2x the speed of the 840M, the latter being a lower-end 64-bit DDR3 card.

I always lean toward getting the best GPU now, because those are hard/impossible to replace, and upgrading the easy DIY things like RAM and SSD down the road. If you're left disappointed by a GPU, the only option is to buy another laptop; versus the price of an SSD that's not a good position.

So I forgot she's used to working with qwerty, and all those were azerty.

Would you mind helping me choose between one of these (or even point me to something better in the same category)? The Asus seems to have a better screen (IPS) and is more mobile while the Lenovo is better performance wise. Same price on both. Cheers!

http://www.laptopshop.be/product/466820/category-52995-qwerty-laptops/asus-n56jn-cn091h.html

http://www.laptopshop.be/product/42...werty-laptops/lenovo-ideapad-y510p-01135.html

http://www.laptopshop.be/product/48...erty-laptops/lenovo-ideapad-y50-70-00740.html

In the market for a new laptop in the next week or so.

Maximum budget: $1800 before taxes
Max resolution: 1920x1080 on a 15" display
Generally speaking this is going to be a machine for playing WoW and TF2 at the high end of system requirements (and pinball sims and relatively old strategy games on the low end), but I do enjoy these games at reasonably high settings. Draw distance is important in MMOs and I don't want to be waiting around forever for things to load in either game so an SSD is also critical to the equation here. I liked the specs of the linked MSI deal but the lack of an SSD makes me wonder a) how hard is it to buy and install one and b) does it really matter that it won't end up being the boot drive?
Apart from the aforementioned use cases it will also be playing a lot of movies (from an external HDD) and lately I've been pretty dissatisfied with the matte finish of my 7 year old laptop for accurate color and acceptable contrast, so I think I'm ready for a glossy display.

I've probably overbudgeted for my needs but I don't want cheap feeling keyboards or a crummy lid hinge.

Fezan

So i am ordering a y50 and a replacment screen with it. Y50 is best price performance ratio just wish the screen wasn't this shitty

K.Jack

So I forgot she's used to working with qwerty, and all those were azerty.

Would you mind helping me choose between one of these (or even point me to something better in the same category)? The Asus seems to have a better screen (IPS) and is more mobile while the Lenovo is better performance wise. Same price on both. Cheers!

http://www.laptopshop.be/product/466820/category-52995-qwerty-laptops/asus-n56jn-cn091h.html

http://www.laptopshop.be/product/42...werty-laptops/lenovo-ideapad-y510p-01135.html

http://www.laptopshop.be/product/48...erty-laptops/lenovo-ideapad-y50-70-00740.html

Take the Y50.

In terms of absolute power, it isn't even a fair comparison.

In the market for a new laptop in the next week or so.

Maximum budget: $1800 before taxes
Max resolution: 1920x1080 on a 15" display
Generally speaking this is going to be a machine for playing WoW and TF2 at the high end of system requirements (and pinball sims and relatively old strategy games on the low end), but I do enjoy these games at reasonably high settings. Draw distance is important in MMOs and I don't want to be waiting around forever for things to load in either game so an SSD is also critical to the equation here. I liked the specs of the linked MSI deal but the lack of an SSD makes me wonder a) how hard is it to buy and install one and b) does it really matter that it won't end up being the boot drive?
Apart from the aforementioned use cases it will also be playing a lot of movies (from an external HDD) and lately I've been pretty dissatisfied with the matte finish of my 7 year old laptop for accurate color and acceptable contrast, so I think I'm ready for a glossy display.

I've probably overbudgeted for my needs but I don't want cheap feeling keyboards or a crummy lid hinge.

I was going to recommend the GT60 while reading your post. Order it through XoticPC, and you can configure it with an SSD so they'll install it for you.

So i am ordering a y50 and a replacment screen with it. Y50 is best price performance ratio just wish the screen wasn't this shitty

From where are you getting the screen? How do you know it'll be better?

Xotic PC's configuration page is extremely confusing. If I order the GT60 with a single SSD, does that mean no platter HDD? Why do I have to remove it manually if I pick the SSD?

K.Jack

Xotic PC's configuration page is extremely confusing. If I order the GT60 with a single SSD, does that mean no platter HDD? Why do I have to remove it manually if I pick the SSD?

Two choices:

1. Select an mSATA SSD (or multiple), and the 1TB HDD under 'Primary Hard Drive' comes with it as a storage drive.

2. Select an SSD under 'Primary' then select a storage drive under 'Second Hard Drive'.

You don't have to do any of the work yourself.

Vhalyar

Max budget: 1400-1600E.
Max size: 15" screen.
Usage: 1080p movies & gaming. Diablo 3, Warframe, and for upcoming stuff Far Cry 4, Witcher 3, AssCreed Unity.
For the most part I'll be moving the laptop between my bedroom (plugged into a monitor with headphones) and the living room (plugged into an av receiver & projector with floorstanding speakers).

I guess the MSI GT60 is my best option then? If so, which one & where would be the best place to pick one up in Europe?

Linius

Since you seem to only want to use it inside the house and really want that maximum game experience, why not go for a desktop and get more value for money?

Vhalyar

I thought about that, but in the past 5 years I've moved from France to Canada, twice across Canada, and now to Germany. Lugging my tower every time has been a pain, though I see myself staying a bit longer here.

But if there's an elegant solution for easily moving a tower (aka having to plug/unplug a ton of crap every time) from room to room, I'm interested.

Linius

I thought about that, but in the past 5 years I've moved from France to Canada, twice across Canada, and now to Germany. Lugging my tower every time has been a pain, though I see myself staying a bit longer here.

But if there's an elegant solution for easily moving a tower (aka having to plug/unplug a ton of crap every time) from room to room, I'm interested.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745567

Maybe these guys know a fix for that. I would say you're not the only person who moves his rig from one room to another every now and then. But I guess it will always be a hassle. And in that sense a laptop would be more comfortable yeah.

K.Jack

Max budget: 1400-1600E.
Max size: 15" screen.
Usage: 1080p movies & gaming. Diablo 3, Warframe, and for upcoming stuff Far Cry 4, Witcher 3, AssCreed Unity.
For the most part I'll be moving the laptop between my bedroom (plugged into a monitor with headphones) and the living room (plugged into an av receiver & projector with floorstanding speakers).

I guess the MSI GT60 is my best option then? If so, which one & where would be the best place to pick one up in Europe?

Wait. Gamescom is this week, and Nvidia s making an announcement about new Maxwell GPUs.

Fezan

From where are you getting the screen? How do you know it'll be better?
its LG ips display which was recommended to me by a friend. He says difference is night and day. He himself got recommendation from a YouTube video. It costs 95$. Will post my impression as soon as I get one

K.Jack

its LG ips display which was recommended to me by a friend. He says difference is night and day. He himself got recommendation from a YouTube video. It costs 95$. Will post my impression as soon as I get one

Hmm so your friend already did the swap? An IPS for $95 sounds unrealistic. Link to vid?

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop which is the best thin lightweight gaming machine?

I'm considering these three, please point out any faults or bad points of these models.

Dell XPS 15
4u1q8fBm.png

• Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4712HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.3GHz)
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB
  • Weight: 2.01 kg
  • Height: 18 mm
  • Price: £1,499.00
GIGABYTE P35W v2
LduxJt3m.png

• Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Processor (2.5GHz-3.5GHz)
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 870M GDDR5 6GB
  • Weight: 2.26 kg
  • Height: 20.9 mm
  • Price: £1,239.00
ASUS GX500
KIjJdikm.jpg

• Processor: Intel Core i7-4712HQ processor (2.3GHz, 6MB L3 cache)
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M
  • Weight: 2.20 kg
  • Height: 19 mm
  • Price: ~£1,599.99

Fezan

Hmm so your friend already did the swap? An IPS for $95 sounds unrealistic. Link to vid?
This is the screen he bought and is recommending me
Link to website
I'm thinking of getting a new laptop which is the best thin lightweight gaming machine?

I'm considering these three, please point out any faults or bad points of these models.

Dell XPS 15
4u1q8fBm.png

• Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4712HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.3GHz)
GIGABYTE P35W v2
LduxJt3m.png

ASUS GX500
KIjJdikm.jpg

Dell is the most premium looking device but has the weakest GPU. Gigabyte has the strongest GPU but look very ugly. Assus falls in the middle. it has good gpu with good look but not as powerful as Gigabyte not as premium as Dell XPS

K.Jack

Oooh the Y50 display has an eDP connection, alright nevermind.

Dell XPS 15
4u1q8fBm.png

GIGABYTE P35W v2
LduxJt3m.png

ASUS GX500
KIjJdikm.jpg

1. Take the Gigabyte, solely because it has the most powerful GPU.

2. Nvidia is (supposedly) announcing new GPUs this week, so wait to see ehat they say.

K.Jack

Oh? Good to hear, right now I'm using my work laptop, which will tide me over for a while.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying they will be released this week, just that the announcement should give us some idea of when they're coming. Then you'll know whether you can stand the wait or not.

Rumor mill says the 980M and 970M could be out in October, but I am skeptical.

Andodalf

Banned
K. Jack, do you really expect new mobile gpu's so soon? Also, what do you make of the Alienware 13? Seems like a more expensive Lenovo y 50 with a presumably better screen, but smaller. That is to say, thin but not prohibitively so, with a focus on gaming.

The default resolution from what I saw on Engadget was 720p+ with options for 1080p and 1440p.

The weight seems pretty heavy for a 13" compared to the RAZR and other vendors. The Clevo/Sager seems comparable except for the screen resolution options and possibly battery life (but estimated isn't the same as real world).

The screen seems extremely easy to replace on the Y50. I wish the Y40 was as powerful as past generations (mainly the processor).

K.Jack

K. Jack, do you really expect new mobile gpu's so soon? Also, what do you make of the Alienware 13? Seems like a more expensive Lenovo y 50 with a presumably better screen, but smaller. That is to say, thin but not prohibitively so, with a focus on gaming.

I thought the AW13 was cool, until I read that it would only ship ULV (ultra-low voltage, meaning extremely weak) CPUs. You won't even get the most out of an 860M with those.

I expect news of the new mobie GPUs, by this time next week. Hopefully we get a release date.

So guys, I know its not actually a "Gaming laptop" but could someone please tell me what I can run on my 13'' MacBook Pro? When looking at system requirements for certain games, I never know where the Iris pro stands. It's integrated, but IIRC its supposed to be the equivalent of a 3rd generation dedicated GPU. Not really sure what that curtails though, honestly.

Any ideas on years that I can play pretty well? Something like "avoid games from >2011"

My specs are:
2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel Iris (5100 HD) Graphics
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Windows 7 64 Bit (for games that require it), OSX for everything else.

Do you guys think the new GPU news will result in any price drops on the older models? I still haven't pulled the trigger, still eyeing for a good deal in the 900 - 1100 ranges

K.Jack

So guys, I know its not actually a "Gaming laptop" but could someone please tell me what I can run on my 13'' MacBook Pro? When looking at system requirements for certain games, I never know where the Iris pro stands. It's integrated, but IIRC its supposed to be the equivalent of a 3rd generation dedicated GPU. Not really sure what that curtails though, honestly.

Any ideas on years that I can play pretty well? Something like "avoid games from >2011"

My specs are:
2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel Iris (5100 HD) Graphics
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Windows 7 64 Bit (for games that require it), OSX for everything else.

You can play any game that came out on the PS3 and X360, and anything being developed cross-gen. Games built only on the PS4 and X1 should be a problem, though current-gen indies will be playable.

Do you guys think the new GPU news will result in any price drops on the older models? I

Maybe on Newegg.

You can play any game that came out on the PS3 and X360, and anything being developed cross-gen. Games built only on the PS4 and X1 should be a problem, though current-gen indies will be playable.

I appreciate it, that's actually rather good news. I don't really care about playing current gen titles on a laptop at all. I need to save the current gen games for my future PS4.

I was mostly wondering, because it would be pretty nice if I could tackle the games I missed in the PS3 gen on a laptop (assuming it would run a bit better).

catmincer

Country where it will be purchased: New Zealand
Maximum budget. $1200 NZD
Max size: Ideally under 14 inch
Planned usage: light gaming (stuff on gog) and stuff like sleeping dogs/saints row at low settings.
Whatever else you find relevant: I have a Samsung at the moment but the CPU performance is ass. It is an A6 4200 and it chugs a lot when I use music and browser at the same time. I'd prefer CPU power over graphics.

K.Jack

I appreciate it, that's actually rather good news. I don't really care about playing current gen titles on a laptop at all. I need to save the current gen games for my future PS4.

I was mostly wondering, because it would be pretty nice if I could tackle the games I missed in the PS3 gen on a laptop (assuming it would run a bit better).

You'll find 720p gaming comfortable in all but games such as the Crysis series.

Country where it will be purchased: New Zealand
Maximum budget. $1200 NZD
Max size: Ideally under 14 inch
Planned usage: light gaming (stuff on gog) and stuff like sleeping dogs/saints row at low settings.
Whatever else you find relevant: I have a Samsung at the moment but the CPU performance is ass. It is an A6 4200 and it chugs a lot when I use music and browser at the same time. I'd prefer CPU power over graphics.

Link to some stores or custom laptop vendors in your area? I'm wondering if anyone carries the Clevo W230SS.

Top Bottom