• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

looking into buying the Lenovo Y50. How do I go about replacing the screen?

edit: also, for people who have it, how loud is the fan when gaming, web browsing, or watching videos?

edit: also, for people who have it, how loud is the fan when gaming, web browsing, or watching videos?
A fiend of mine has the y510p and it runs very quiet. Can't imagine the y50 being that much different.

Someone linked to the replacement screen and the video on how to replace it. It seems pretty simple.

It doesn't mitigate the battery life or heat but at least one of the major complaints is addressed. I tried out the Y410P recently. Terrible touchpad. The worst. The heat when gaming seemed a might warm (not scorching). But that touchpad seemed like a deal breaker (and the screen isn't great either). But the Y410P at $769 seems like a better deal than the Y40 despite the ATI graphic card (mainly the quad core processor and optical drive).

shockdude

A fiend of mine has the y510p and it runs very quiet. Can't imagine the y50 being that much different.
I also have the y510p. It's barely audible when you're just browsing around or typing stuff, but it is audible when watching videos.
The fan becomes appropriately loud when playing games, but it'll never sound like a jet engine.
I have noise-reducing earbuds, so even at maximum fan speed I barely hear anything.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Unfortunately you get charged tax if you do which is 15% of the cost so it adds up quickly.

Okay. This looks like the best you'll do.

Someone linked to the replacement screen and the video on how to replace it. It seems pretty simple.

It doesn't mitigate the battery life or heat but at least one of the major complaints is addressed. I tried out the Y410P recently. Terrible touchpad. The worst. The heat when gaming seemed a might warm (not scorching). But that touchpad seemed like a deal breaker (and the screen isn't great either). But the Y410P at $769 seems like a better deal than the Y40 despite the ATI graphic card (mainly the quad core processor and optical drive).

I've heard similar "the worst" comments about the Y510P touchpad. If the same one is on the Y50, well.....

Okay. This looks like the best you'll do.

I've heard similar "the worst" comments about the Y510P touchpad. If the same one is on the Y50, well.....

I wish there was a way I could try it out before I possibly buy it.

I guess my backup would be a Sager, but are there any that are somewhat light weight and have similar specs? It'd be great if it was around 14". Battery life would be good too but you can't have it all..

K.Jack

I guess my backup would be a Sager, but are there any that are somewhat light weight and have similar specs? It'd be great if it was around 14". Battery life would be good too but you can't have it all..

There's the Sager NP7338: 13.3", IPS display, quad core, GTX 860M, and can be configured with an SSD.

shockdude

The y510p touchpad is adequate. I can move the cursor, click things, right-click things, click-drag things, two-finger scroll, all the essential things just fine. The only thing missing is middle-click, and there are instructions on the internet to map 3-finger-tap to middle-click. Don't try to use the touchpad for games, though.

this looks pretty great. do you know how well it could handle emulation like dolphin?

also what are the benefits to an SSD other than loading/boot times and noise reduction?

SSD Benefits off the top of my head:

- Much faster load times for anything you put on it
- Faster OS boot if its your boot drive
- No need to defray
- No possibility of head crash (head crash is when you drop or move your hard drive accidentally and the drive needle hits the platter while its trying to write to it, causing the platter where all the data is stored to become damaged/kill the drive or corrupt it)

I think I got the big ones. Someone correct me if I missed something.

Quixzlizx

I just wish the Sager 7358 had the 7338's screen. I'm really tempted by the 7338, but it feels like I'd be better off with a Chromebook or something for when I'm out, and a 15.6" gaming laptop. But the 7358 has a TN screen, which is disappointing. The vertical viewing angle on my current Asus G53SW is the most annoying drawback about it.

The y510p touchpad is adequate. I can move the cursor, click things, right-click things, click-drag things, two-finger scroll, all the essential things just fine. The only thing missing is middle-click, and there are instructions on the internet to map 3-finger-tap to middle-click. Don't try to use the touchpad for games, though.

can I assume that the y50 touch pad is similar?

52club

this looks pretty great. do you know how well it could handle emulation like dolphin?

also what are the benefits to an SSD other than loading/boot times and noise reduction?

Better battery life is another benefit. If you are going to pay for the upgrade it gets more expensive, but if you do it yourself the price makes an ssd a no brainer for notebooks.

Hey all, buying a laptop for my lil bro who is going off to college soon, thought I'd ask here for some recommendations.

Country - USA

Maximum budget - 1200ish

Max size - Probably 15.6' max, I don't think he minds being bulky as long as it has good build quality

Planned usage - He'll definitely want to game on it, but that isn't the priority. He doesn't care about maxing games out graphics settings wise. He plays shooters, mmos and Diablo type games, but I do want to get him more into PC gaming (I'll let him access my monster steam library probably). Nothing too hardware intense, but I honestly have no idea what level of mobile graphics card is needed to run not too demanding games med/high settings now and in the next couple years.

More Important is that it will be good in a college environment. #1 priority is probably battery size/efficiency so that it can last awhile unplugged with web/office/other stats software usage throughout.

I don't think he is too picky about mousepad/keyboard/ heat or noise could be an issue but only if it is especially bad.

Not sure about screen, would definitely prefer a nicer one (1080p or higher), but could do with less if that is cost prohibitive.

So yeah, gaming laptop, but a laptop first. I've looked a little, and there seem to be plenty of capable gaming machines, but most seem like they wouldn't be too practical outside of his desk.

shockdude

can I assume that the y50 touch pad is similar?
Well I just installed the y50 Synaptics touchpad driver on my y510p and it works fine, so I'd say the Synaptics touchpads are identical. I don't feel a difference in the touchpad before or after the driver change; it's as usable as ever. If people are saying this is a "bad" touchpad, then what even is a "good" touchpad?
I had to redo the registry tweaks to reenable three-finger-middleclick but w/e

Edit: Unfortunately it looks like the Y50 comes with one of at least three possible touchpads from three different manufacturers: Synaptics, Elan, and Alps. The Synaptics touchpad is good, but I can't say anything about the Elan or Alps.

Hey all, buying a laptop for my lil bro who is going off to college soon, thought I'd ask here for some recommendations.

So yeah, gaming laptop, but a laptop first. I've looked a little, and there seem to be plenty of capable gaming machines, but most seem like they wouldn't be too practical outside of his desk.
The y510p is a fantastic all-round laptop for reasons I've described earlier, but it's last year's model and its GT755M is outclassed by all the other laptops with GTX860Ms. I'd recommend the y50 but the stock screen needs a replacement and I hear the battery life isn't very good.
If you do decide to get a y510p, pay attention to the configuration, especially the wireless card. See my earlier post linked above for more details.

K.Jack

Country - USA

Maximum budget - 1200ish

Max size - Probably 15.6' max, I don't think he minds being bulky as long as it has good build quality

Planned usage - He'll definitely want to game on it, but that isn't the priority. He doesn't care about maxing games out graphics settings wise. He plays shooters, mmos and Diablo type games, but I do want to get him more into PC gaming (I'll let him access my monster steam library probably). Nothing too hardware intense, but I honestly have no idea what level of mobile graphics card is needed to run not too demanding games med/high settings now and in the next couple years.

More Important is that it will be good in a college environment. #1 priority is probably battery size/efficiency so that it can last awhile unplugged with web/office/other stats software usage throughout.

I don't think he is too picky about mousepad/keyboard/ heat or noise could be an issue but only if it is especially bad.

Not sure about screen, would definitely prefer a nicer one (1080p or higher), but could do with less if that is cost prohibitive.

Sager NP7358.

Well I just installed the y50 touchpad driver on my y510p and it works fine, so I'd say the touchpads are identical. I don't feel a difference in the touchpad before or after the driver change; it's as usable as ever. If people are saying this is a "bad" touchpad, then what even is a "good" touchpad?
I had to redo the registry tweaks to reenable three-finger-middleclick but w/e
Isn't the Y510 Synaptics? The Y50 is Elan.

shockdude

Isn't the Y510 Synaptics? The Y50 is Elan.
Well that might explain some things. I should've recognized that.
My y510p has a Synaptics touchpad, and the Y50 touchpad driver I downloaded was a bundle including drivers for Synaptics, Elan, and Alps. I installed the Synaptics driver and it worked for me.

So basically whatever touchpad you get with your Y50 is up in the air, with only the Synaptics touchpad guaranteed to be fine. Brilliant.

Edit: Did more digging, some people are complaining about the Synaptics touchpad and say the Elan touchpad is better? Yeah I dunno. My experience was positive at least.

K.Jack

I've heard from the NBR Y50 thread that the Elan touchpad is a marked improvement over the Synaptics.

K.Jack

Vitor711

I hope neither is an option, because I'd take this or this over either of the ones you presented.

Yeah, listen to this guy. You'repaying the same amount for much worse performance if you pick the first two choices.

Also, the 860m will let you compete with current gen consoles for performance (PS4/Xbone).

I've heard from the NBR Y50 thread that the Elan touchpad is a marked improvement over the Synaptics.

So terrible. I have a Y470 and the main issue I had was the touchpad. Seriously...a business/customer/review study would show that the touchpad, heat and screens are the primary issue with customers.

That Y50 screen is horrible. Touchpad okay. Heard the battery life is poor. And it's too bad they ditched the optical drive. Also...my new pet peeve is the toy look. After looking at gaming laptops, I can't stand the black, cheap, plastic toy look with light shoe all of these vendors take toward gaming machines. It's 2014. Let's keep it classy like a MacBook Pro.

shockdude

Isn't the 4K Y50 limited to 48hz? I would be wary of recommending it.

Also Excko are you sure you want a 17" laptop for university? It'll be a pain to lug that thing around campus.

so I guess it's between the Sager NP7338 or the Y50. I battery life is probably the determining factor.

the 15.6" Sager might work too but it looks heavy and the battery life doesn't look great

Excko

Also Excko are you sure you want a 17" laptop for university? It'll be a pain to lug that thing around campus.

It'll also be a desktop replacement for home. It won't leave home very often since most of the courses (85%+) will be at distance.

Ramune

Im deciding of $250 for a Asus N61JQ-X1 on Craigslist, up from a PowerBook G4. The Powerbook wont charge its battery, and the adaptor plug meeds to be turned a certain way before it cam accept a charge. Now it stopped doing that. This laptop will be mostly a stop gap computer until I can build a pretty decent PC. At the moment, I have no computer, left with a crappy Android 2.3 tablet and not so smartphone (Kyocera Rise). I need something and while I will game a little (most graphically intense game I'd play is Phantasy Star Online 2), its not the focus. I feel ifbI spend anymore, I'll regret it, thinking that money could have gone towards building my PC.

Specs:

Intel Core i7-720QM Processor1.6GHz w/ turbo boost up to 2.8GHz 4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM, 2 slots, 8GB Max 320GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM); Super Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn 16-Inch HD LED LCD Display; 2.0MP Webcam; Bluetooth; HDMI Port; ATI 5730 Graphics Engine with 1 GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System

K.Jack

I've read on the NBR forum that uninstalling the Intel driver allows 60hz, so there should be a software fix coming.

so I guess it's between the Sager NP7338 or the Y50. I battery life is probably the determining factor.

the 15.6" Sager might work too but it looks heavy and the battery life doesn't look great

Y50 has better battery life.

Im deciding of $250 for a Asus N61JQ-X1 on Craigslist, up from a PowerBook G4. The Powerbook wont charge its battery, and the adaptor plug meeds to be turned a certain way before it cam accept a charge. Now it stopped doing that. This laptop will be mostly a stop gap computer until I can build a pretty decent PC. At the moment, I have no computer, left with a crappy Android 2.3 tablet and not so smartphone (Kyocera Rise). I need something and while I will game a little (most graphically intense game I'd play is Phantasy Star Online 2), its not the focus. I feel ifbI spend anymore, I'll regret it, thinking that money could have gone towards building my PC.

Specs:

Intel Core i7-720QM Processor1.6GHz w/ turbo boost up to 2.8GHz 4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM, 2 slots, 8GB Max 320GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM); Super Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn 16-Inch HD LED LCD Display; 2.0MP Webcam; Bluetooth; HDMI Port; ATI 5730 Graphics Engine with 1 GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System

It will run PSO2 at least.

Looking for a cheap (sub $500) laptop that I can use to run 2d indie games.

How would this be?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lack/7046195.p?id=1219248584104&skuId=7046195

Otherwise, any other recommendations from Amazon or Best Buy?

This

Excko

Hi K.Jack,

I orderded the Lenovo laptop that you recommended.

Thank you for the help.

I'll post an update once I get it.

shockdude

Hi K.Jack,

I orderded the Lenovo laptop that you recommended.

Thank you for the help.

I'll post an update once I get it.
Wait you're looking to do emulation on that laptop, right?
The screen on the 4k Y50 is physically limited to 48FPS instead of 60, regardless of resolution. Since nearly all console games run at a fixed 30/60FPS, this limitation will cause your games to run strangely due to the uneven frame timing.

Edit: noticed you said you planned to hook it up to a TV. Nvm

How does an MSI GT70 Dominator stack up against a Clevo if they are comparatively priced?

I just saw an MSI GT70 Dominator with

Intel Core i7-4800MQ (2.7 GHz, 6 MB Cache)
8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
17.3-Inch Screen, NVIDIA Geforce GTX870M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
Windows 8.1

It's on sale for $1300

How does that stack up vs The Sagers? Is the extra cost worth it for the 4800MQ and the GTX870M? How's the build quality for the MSIs?

The Sager after OS comes out to approx 1100, so it's about a 200 dollar price difference.

K.Jack

really? I've been looking at some reviews and people say the Y50 barely pushes 5 while the 7338 gets closer to 6 when not gaming

Oh I was talking about the 7358 for some reason. Yeah the 7338 is better in that regard.

Wait you're looking to do emulation on that laptop, right?
The screen on the 4k Y50 is physically limited to 48FPS instead of 60, regardless of resolution. Since nearly all console games run at a fixed 30/60FPS, this limitation will cause your games to run strangely due to the uneven frame timing.

Edit: noticed you said you planned to hook it up to a TV. Nvm

I've read that uninstalling the Intel driver unlocks the Hz limit.

How does an MSI GT70 Dominator stack up against a Clevo if they are comparatively priced? I just saw an MSI GT70 Dominator with

Intel Core i7-4800MQ (2.7 GHz, 6 MB Cache)
8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
17.3-Inch Screen, NVIDIA Geforce GTX870M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
Windows 8.1

It's on sale for $1300

How does that stack up vs The Sagers? Is the extra cost worth it for the 4800MQ and the GTX870M? How's the build quality for the MSIs?

The Sager after OS comes out to approx 1100, so it's about a 200 dollar price difference.

MSI = better keyboard, way better speakers, way better base warranty

Take the MSI. It's easily worth the $200, just with the 2 year +1 accidental warranty

Pro

Limited Edition GS60 Ghost. I love Goooooooooold

http://promotions.newegg.com/msi/14-4326/index.html?icid=272063

34-152-622-02.jpg

34-152-622-04.jpg

34-152-622-01.jpg

Hello, I am on budget and I am not looking to play the latest games on max settings, but I am looking to play some early last gen games and some fighting games ( and before that) on a stable frame rate with Steam.

The games I have so far:
Amnesia
The King of Fighters XIII

I am just wondering if I can find a laptop that's $300 or below that can play those.

K.Jack

Hello, I am on budget and I am not looking to play the latest games on max settings, but I am looking to play some early last gen games and some fighting games ( and before that) on a stable frame rate with Steam.

The games I have so far:
Amnesia
The King of Fighters XIII

I am just wondering if I can find a laptop that's $300 or below that can play those.

That's a tough one, but I'm going to have to save that you can't, sub-$300. This for $369.99 is the lowest I can find for you. Below that the performance drops off the cliff, and I can't promise game with be playable at all.

I've read that too but I haven't found anything conclusive stating that it method works. But granted you do know more about these laptops than I do.

Nah I'm no better than you. Currently wading through the 100+ page Y50 thread on NBR. The truth is in there somewhere.

the ghost is such a sweet laptop but it's so expensive :/

It also runs way too hot, to be so dang expensive.

Well they do cram some serious hardware into the Ghost. I like the limited edition. Looks a lot classier than the plastic Alienware look.

Did they announce the next wave of nvidia graphic chips?

K.Jack

Well they do cram some serious hardware into the Ghost. I like the limited edition. Looks a lot classier than the plastic Alienware look.

Did they announce the next wave of nvidia graphic chips?

Quote from Fudzilla:
Mobile Maxwell in 20nm based on the upcoming Geforce 800 series will also come before the holiday shopping season.

Mobile 20nm is coming this year! I didn't expect it until some time into 2015, so this is amazing.

Desktop Maxwell launches in September, btw.

Malleavel

Hey, I'm new to laptops and know very little. I need one mostly for school but also to get my feet wet in basic pc gaming. I saw a $429 ASUS mentioned earlier that seemed a perfect fit for me, but after further browsing I found an ACER with more memory that seems decent for just a little less $. I'm a little confused; any advice?

Quote from Fudzilla:

Mobile 20nm is coming this year! I didn't expect it until some time into 2015, so this is amazing.

Desktop Maxwell launches in September, btw.

Well...lucky I returned the MSI and Lenovo. Guess I'll hold out for the latest round of Nvidia and Intel chips for 10% performance boost.

Just FYI. I just replaced my damaged LCD screen on my Y470 about an hour ago. It was pretty quick and easy (thanks to it just using the 40-pin connector). I believe the Y50 is very similar. Definitely one way to mitigate one of the faults of the Y50. Not much you can do about the battery life and heat. But those are less bothersome issues.

Top Bottom