• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Probably very late, but for future reference I have this backpack and I love it. I have been using it to carry the laptop everyday for almost a year and no issue thus far, my 17.3'' Precision fits perfectly, there is space (and pockets) for quite a lot more stuff, the construction is solid, and it even has a weather cover.

Hmm I might have to pick this one up. Thanks.

So I eventually ordered the Dell Inspiron 7000. It's been sat in pre-production for a week of an ETA of 14 Febuary. I look today and suddenly it's the 21st of Febuary?

Three weeks to get a laptop shipped?!

That does seem excessive, but Dell almost always ships way faster than their given estimated dates.

cluderi

So I eventually ordered the Dell Inspiron 7000. It's been sat in pre-production for a week of an ETA of 14 Febuary. I look today and suddenly it's the 21st of Febuary?

Three weeks to get a laptop shipped?!

I found a refurbed 7000 on the outlet on Friday and got the same ETA, 2 weeks to ship a refurb doesn't make a lot of sense so I'm assuming it'll get updated.

Planning on getting a new laptop soon, mostly for a combination of gaming and working with 3D modelling programs.

Currently have my sights set on one from BTO, which is one of the Dutch Clevo resellers.

Specs:

Display: 15.6" 1920x1080p LCD
CPU: Intel i7-4700MQ
GPU: nVidia GTX 765M 2GB
RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR3L 1600MHz
Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO 2.5 inch SSD
Default 2 year warranty.

For around 1200 Euros.

Storage space isn't really an issue, so I'm okay with the 250GB SSD. The whole thing also comes with a free bag of goodies including a free carrier bag, mousemat, earplugs and some other stuff.

Sputtid

Banned
Once g-sync makes its way to laptop panels, SLI micro-stutter will be a thing of the past.

Though I think there's already inherent advantages vs desktops with microstutter since laptop displays are handled differently? Or I may be mistaken.

I'm kinda undereducated in the matter, but if I'm not mistaken, variable refresh rates are already supported in most notebook panels for energy saving purposes. With that said, I don't know if Nvidia will support these existing panels with G-Sync, or start licensing its proprietary solution. AMD certainly plans to take advantage of them with FreeSync, but who will think of us dirty mobile Nvidia peasants?

On a different note; is there a way to check, say, EDID for the availability of variable VBLANK?

Bleepey

London laptop GAf does anyone know what I can do to fix my laptop screen cheaply? It's an Rv515 and it has these weird black lines running down the screen but other than that it works perfectly. I am connecting my laptop to my desktop monitor.

K.Jack

London laptop GAf does anyone know what I can do to fix my laptop screen cheaply? It's an Rv515 and it has these weird black lines running down the screen but other than that it works perfectly. I am connecting my laptop to my desktop monitor.

Buy a cheap 15.6" replacement screen online, and either do the swap yourself, or take it to a shop.

I hope this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm searching for a new laptop. I'm using an HP Pavilion that's like 4+ years old and still runs well but it needs to be plugged into a outlet in a certain way to stay on.

Country where it will be purchased: USA
Maximum budget: Ideally, I would love to spend only $600. Maybe $800 if it will last me 3+ years

Max size: don't care

Planned usage: Would replace my current laptop for programming and browsing. If it runs games, that would be a bonus but don't really care for it.

Whatever else you find relevant, misc: Fan noise to be quiet lol. My current laptop sounds like a jet engine. A good battery life that's like 4-5 hours would be great.

Like, I saw the Lenovo 510p on the front page and that's seems great. But I never had/heard of that brand before.

thechemist

I found a refurbed 7000 on the outlet on Friday and got the same ETA, 2 weeks to ship a refurb doesn't make a lot of sense so I'm assuming it'll get updated.

Mine came today (dell outlet) and I ordered last week, so yours should be sooner as well, as I was given a 3 week estimate..

cluderi

Mine came today (dell outlet) and I ordered last week, so yours should be sooner as well, as I was given a 3 week estimate..

Cheers, just checked and mine shipped today so it'll be however long it takes from the magical Dell factory where the magic happens. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

My dell order has been cancelled...

To add onto this, I phoned up Dell and they informed my it was an incorrect configuration. So my order was delayed by a week, and the products -which I didn't customise- weren't actually set up correctly on their website. After all that, the customer care rep had the cheek to try and put me though to the sales department. This has to be the worst customer service I've experieced.

I'm pretty excited for the upcoming Lenovo Y40. Anybody have any idea what kind of power the Radeon 270M will have?

I have a Y470. I like the performance you can get for the price with Lenovo laptops. But I hate the aesthetics and despise their touch pads.

Hopefully, they get it right this time around. I'm in the market to upgrade this year.

K.Jack

My dell order has been cancelled...

To add onto this, I phoned up Dell and they informed my it was an incorrect configuration. So my order was delayed by a week, and the products -which I didn't customise- weren't actually set up correctly on their website. After all that, the customer care rep had the cheek to try and put me though to the sales department. This has to be the worst customer service I've experieced.

If you do reorder, ask them if they can add the 8690M to the system.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Does anyone know if the mSata slot in the Lenovo Y580 is locked to be a cache drive or not?

I'm trying to decide between a mSata SSD for my OS and keeping my HDD in the primary slot or moving my HDD into my optical bay with a caddy and sticking a normal SSD in the primary slot.

I was thinking about buying Paragon OS to SSD but decided to order recovery discs from Lenovo for a clean-ish install.

If you do reorder, ask them if they can add the 8690M to the system.

I decided to go with somebody else. A customer care rep phoned me up again and asked if I'd like to reopen it, and I said no. Fine, done. Nope!

I just got an email saying the order was reopened, despite the fact that I have another email from the customer care rep saying it was certainly cancelled.

what in the world...

Now I have to phone them up again to cancel an order they cancelled.

K.Jack

Does anyone know if the mSata slot in the Lenovo Y580 is locked to be a cache drive or not?

I'm trying to decide between a mSata SSD for my OS and keeping my HDD in the primary slot or moving my HDD into my optical bay with a caddy and sticking a normal SSD in the primary slot.

I was thinking about buying Paragon OS to SSD but decided to order recovery discs from Lenovo for a clean-ish install.

You can replace the drive with a larger one, then install Windows on it.

Note that it doesn't use a standard mSATA slot. You have to buy an M.2, M5M, NGFF style drive to have it fit.

I decided to go with somebody else. A customer care rep phoned me up again and asked if I'd like to reopen it, and I said no. Fine, done. Nope!

I just got an email saying the order was reopened, despite the fact that I have another email from the customer care rep saying it was certainly cancelled.

what in the world...

Now I have to phone them up again to cancel an order they cancelled.

Dell custo service tends to be pretty boneheaded.

So then what did you buy?

Oh, I forked out a little more for an msi ge60. It has a better graphics card and screen, but the cpu seems to be the same. Here's hoping I can cancel my order so I don't go overdrswn, on the plus side my new laptop should be here in the morning instead of 2 weeks from now. Haha.

K.Jack

Oh, I forked out a little more for an msi ge60. It has a better graphics card and screen, but the cpu seems to be the same. Here's hoping I can cancel my order so I don't go overdrswn, on the plus side my new laptop should be here in the morning instead of 2 weeks from now. Haha.

Amazon Prime? I love Prime.

Wait, I'm confused now. This is the first time I saw someone mention different mSata form factors for my Y580. The hardware manual and this spec sheet don't mention them.

I was wanting to get the Crucial M500 240GB

I'm so sorry for the confusion. I was thinking you had a Y510p. The Y580 does have a standard mSATA slot, while the Y510 has the non-standard form factor slot.

You can buy any mSATA, such a the one you're looking at now. Here's a replacement tutorial vid.

Quick question before I jump in on a lenovo laptop. Which should I get? The difference seems miniscule so I'm honestly not sure.
The Y510p for $749 (Model: 59401502)
• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
• Windows 8.1 64
• 15.6" HD LED Glossy with integrated camera (1366x768)
• NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 1TB 5400 RPM
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• 6 Cell 72 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

Or the Y410P for $759 (model: 59405095)
• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
• Windows 8.1 64
• 14.0" HD+ Glossy LED Backlit with integrated camera (1600x900)
• NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSD
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• Intel® Wireless-N 7260 (802.11bgn)
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
• 6 Cell 62 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

Ultimadrago

My MSI GT70 was blue screening for a while last week. After much a heart pitter-patter, I updated the NVidia Drive and Killer E2200 drivers and it has been working fine since. I suppose I screwed up using Live Update 5 to update the laptop initially (since I found out only late that it was made for desktops).

In addition, fixing the drivers got my Intel/780M combo working properly. At first it was staying red all the time and I simply thought the processor switch had sensitive requirements. Besides these hiccups (which were my fault), this machine has been awesome to me. Though I do wonder why the bad drivers worked seemingly fine for a time before going screwy later.

1cmanny1

K.Jack

I need a new laptop to replace my broken one, I want it to be as cheap as possible.
My current one is an Acer Aspire 5552G. It has 4gb memory, AMD Athlon(tm) II P340 2200 Mhz Dual-Core Processor, and 500 GB HDD.

I need it to be at least as good, preferably better. The processor is quite slow on this one.

I saw this one:
http://www.wiseguys.co.nz/acer-aspire-e1-522-45004g1tmnkk-39-6-cm-15-6-led-notebook-amd-a-series-a4-5000-1-50-ghz-black-234611

Does anyone have any better suggestions?
This laptop is cheaper, and better. The AMD CPU in the one you linked is just as bad as your old laptop's.

Heysoos

Hoping someone can help a little here.

I have a Lenovo Y510p with the following specs:
i7-4700mq
750m SLI
8gb ram

Now, far lower specced laptop systems are running Titanfall with much MUCH better results than mine. For example a single card 650m is performing extremely well on medium settings, while mine at the 720p, lowest settings all across the board, can barely hit 30fps. One of the devs advised making sure that the intel HD graphics weren't taking over, however, as far as I know this laptop didn't even come with drivers for the HD series, just the 750m SLI driver. I have the latest drivers, even the latest Beta drivers.

What settings should I possibly be looking at outside the game? This is pretty frustrating.

Quixzlizx

i7-4700mq
750m SLI
8gb ram

Now, far lower specced laptop systems are running Titanfall with much MUCH better results than mine. For example a single card 650m is performing extremely well on medium settings, while mine at the 720p, lowest settings all across the board, can barely hit 30fps. One of the devs advised making sure that the intel HD graphics weren't taking over, however, as far as I know this laptop didn't even come with drivers for the HD series, just the 750m SLI driver. I have the latest drivers, even the latest Beta drivers.

What settings should I possibly be looking at outside the game? This is pretty frustrating.

Are your fans maxed out? Laptops can suffer heat-related throttling, either because the hardware gets too warm even with your fans going full-throttle, or because the fans never go full-throttle in the first place. Check your power profiles.

Also, I have no idea whether this actually happens, but on Notebook Review, people who own my model (Asus G53SW) claimed they were getting power-related throttling until they upgraded the AC brick.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Titanfall run like butter on my MSI GT70 drangon edition 2

780m GTX with 4GB VRAM, 32GB system RAM, CPU i7 4700mq 2.4GHz installed on a SSD never skip a beat (60fps) at 1080p all settings max out except MSAAx2.

tim.mbp

i7-4700mq
750m SLI
8gb ram

I've got a Y410p and I've had that problem with a few games. You can open the Nvidia Control Panel and under Manage 3D settings you can select an application and choose which GPU to use.

Heysoos

Well I got a little further. I flashed my vbios for my video card or something. Anyways, performance seems to have gone up, but there's still something odd. So I ran gpu-z and I'm seeing 0% load on one of the 750m, even though SLI is enabled. This isn't normal, is it?

Took these screenshots while Titanfall was running in the background:

Main 750m
XDQ3Pf1.gif

Second 750m
dsePsDp.gif

NVIDIA Control Panel Settings for reference

K.Jack

Titanfall doesn't even support SLI right now. Turn it off and see if your performance increases.

So after having my order with Tiger Direct fall through (jebus they are a terrible company) I decided to grab the MSI GT70 2OC (GTX 770M) off Amazon. Already have a Crucial M500 240GB SSD and an additional 8gb of RAM waiting for it.

I ended going with the MSI because it looks like they do a good job of cooling (with a 770m at least) and they are super easy to upgrade later.

Its probably overkill for what I'll end up using it for (Starbound, MMO's, Civ5) but its nice to know some extra power is there if needed.

K.Jack

So after having my order with Tiger Direct fall through (jebus they are a terrible company) I decided to grab the MSI GT70 2OC (GTX 770M) off Amazon. Already have a Crucial M500 240GB SSD and an additional 8gb of RAM waiting for it.

I ended going with the MSI because it looks like they do a good job of cooling (with a 770m at least) and they are super easy to upgrade later.

Its probably overkill for what I'll end up using it for (Starbound, MMO's, Civ5) but its nice to know some extra power is there if needed.

It also has the best keyboard and speakers of any gaming laptop. Good buy.

Too late, factory reset my laptop. :|

Not a biggie, just want to make sure I do everything fresh, I had messed with a lot of stuff.

Understandable.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Issue with my purchased recovery media from lenovo for a SSD upgrade:

The disk will only boot in legacy mode.

If there's no workaround to get the media working in UEFI, are there any drawback to installing Windows 8 in legacy and keeping it that way?

Amazon Prime? I love Prime.

I'm so sorry for the confusion. I was thinking you had a Y510p. The Y580 does have a standard mSATA slot, while the Y510 has the non-standard form factor slot.

You can buy any mSATA, such a the one you're looking at now. Here's a replacement tutorial vid.
Thanks man.

Laieon

Country where it will be purchased: United States
Maximum budget: $7-800
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight): I'd like it to be fairly portable. My old laptop (a gateway p7805u) was 17 inches, and that worked, but I think I'd like something smaller this time around.
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all): League of Legends, Blizzard Games, random indie games. I don't really play anything incredibly demanding.

1920x1080 (or a similar resolution) would be nice, but I wouldn't mind 1600xX either.

I'm trying to move to Korea to teach English for a year or two, so I'll primarily be using it there. I'm also willing to wait a few months (I'm not planning on leaving until August) if there's something better on the horizon.

K.Jack

Country where it will be purchased: United States
Maximum budget: $7-800
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight): I'd like it to be fairly portable. My old laptop (a gateway p7805u) was 17 inches, and that worked, but I think I'd like something smaller this time around.
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all): League of Legends, Blizzard Games, random indie games. I don't really play anything incredibly demanding.

1920x1080 (or a similar resolution) would be nice, but I wouldn't mind 1600xX either.

I'm trying to move to Korea to teach English for a year or two, so I'll primarily be using it there. I'm also willing to wait a few months (I'm not planning on leaving until August) if there's something better on the horizon.

For a 1080p screen, you need to spend closer to $900. I recommend the $879 Lenovo Y510p.

Be gentle. This looks to be a decent price, would it be ok as a general kids laptop for homework and minecraft, and streaming more demanding games via steam home streaming. Perhaps popping in an SSD.

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus--x552cl-15-6--core-i3-1-8ghz--6gb-500gb-nvidia-710m-1gb-usb3-hdmi--win8-96G3.html

Core i3 3217, nvidia 710m,6GB - £359

Well, Minecraft can run on a toaster, so it should be okay.

Just got a Medion X6823 (15,6", i7-3630QM, GTX 670MX 1,5GB) for 650 euro. Only downside is the screen resolution (it's a matte 1366x768 panel) but that can be fixed down the road if I choose to. How good is a 3228 score in Fire Strike for such a configuration (I just did a little tweaking in Afterburner)?

K.Jack

Just got a Medion X6823 (15,6", i7-3630QM, GTX 670MX 1,5GB) for 650 euro. Only downside is the screen resolution (it's a matte 1366x768 panel) but that can be fixed down the road if I choose to. How good is a 3228 score in Fire Strike for such a configuration (I just did a little tweaking in Afterburner)?

In relation to what, exactly? If you want an idea of how well the 670MX can run games, take a look at these benchmarks (scroll down). It's a decent card.

For comparison, I just ran Fire Strike on my stock GTX 780M, and scored 5001.

lolmark

Hey guys, so I bought a Sager NP8235 (Clevo P151SM1) from XoticPC, but I'm a little underwhelmed by the graphics performance. The laptop came with a Geforce GTX 770M and I paid a for a few upgrades, including the Intel i7-4800MQ, and 16gb of RAM. But when I auto detect best graphics settings for games, it's always surprisingly slow. In some cases when I bump the graphics setting up to I experience a bit of slow down. Even in Super Street Fighter 4, which ran perfectly a high settings on my old computer, experiences framerate drops at high settings.

Am I asking too much from this laptop or was I better off getting a desktop?

Hey guys, so I bought a Sager NP8235 (Clevo P151SM1) from XoticPC, but I'm a little underwhelmed by the graphics performance. The laptop came with a Geforce GTX 770M and I paid a for a few upgrades, including the Intel i7-4800MQ, and 16gb of RAM. But when I auto detect best graphics settings for games, it's always surprisingly slow. In some cases when I bump the graphics setting up to I experience a bit of slow down. Even in Super Street Fighter 4, which ran perfectly a high settings on my old computer, experiences framerate drops at high settings.

Am I asking too much from this laptop or was I better off getting a desktop?

The 770M should be capable in SSF4. What resolution? (Maybe the RAM of the card is slow)

And just to be sure, you had the power options on High Performance mode and no extra Nvidia settings on, right?

lolmark

The 770M should be capable in SSF4. What resolution? (Maybe the RAM of the card is slow)

And just to be sure, you had the power options on High Performance mode and no extra Nvidia settings on, right?
Trying to run it at 1080, the card that came with it is NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 770M (3.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11. Copied and pasted from my invoice..

edit: Answering your other questions. Power option is on High Performance.

Yeah the 770m should run ssf4 with no problems. It runs perfectly on my MSI laptop with a 770m. Is the computer trying to use the integrated graphics instead? Might want to check the NVIDIA control panel and check.

lolmark

Yeah the 770m should run ssf4 with no problems. It runs perfectly on my MSI laptop with a 770m. Is the computer trying to use the integrated graphics instead? Might want to check the NVIDIA control panel and check.
I had it on High Performance Nvidia Processor. I seriously hope it's not trying to use integrated graphics.

I had it on High Performance Nvidia Processor. I seriously hope it's not trying to use integrated graphics.

So just making sure, in NVIDIA Control Panel you go to Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings. Select ssfiv.exe from the drop down box and make sure it says it's using the NVIDIA gpu. When I got my laptop it tried to use the integrated graphics by default.

Top Bottom