• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

lolmark

So just making sure, in NVIDIA Control Panel you go to Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings. Select ssfiv.exe from the drop down box and make sure it says it's using the NVIDIA gpu. When I got my laptop it tried to use the integrated graphics by default.
Looks good here!
qLlIOCO.png
So here's a screen shot of the benchmark, which looks awesome!
But when I do training mode, it'll randomly drop frames and it is just a bad look. (Trying to practice for a tournament)

Looks good here!

So here's a screen shot of the benchmark, which looks awesome!
But when I do training mode, it'll randomly drop frames and it is just a bad look. (Trying to practice for a tournament)

Do you have vsync on in the game? Try turning it off to see if that helps.

Turned off vsync and game performed fine (with the exception of screen tearing).

Does the GTX 770M have problems with vsync in all games?

It's a problem with ssf4. The in-game vsync causes input lag on all of the computers I've tried it on. You can try d3doverrider to get vsync but I've read some people have problems getting it to work in windows 8.

joelseph

Ancient gaming laptop finally died on me over the weekend. It's so old that I have been out of the PC gaming scene for sometime. Currently using iPad for everything. Looking to purchase a sub $1,000 gaming capable laptop here in the United States.

I am a SCCM Engineer at a 1,200+ Lenovo Firm so the idea of buying a Lenovo for gaming is crippling.

Right now I am considering a Y510 vs Sager.

joelseph

What is the benefit from buying Sager through a 3rd party vendor as opposed to directly from Sager's website?

Do Lenovo business discounts apply to an already discounted consumer model online?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ancient gaming laptop finally died on me over the weekend. It's so old that I have been out of the PC gaming scene for sometime. Currently using iPad for everything. Looking to purchase a sub $1,000 gaming capable laptop here in the United States.

I am a SCCM Engineer at a 1,200+ Lenovo Firm so the idea of buying a Lenovo for gaming is crippling.

Right now I am considering a Y510 vs Sager.

What is the benefit from buying Sager through a 3rd party vendor as opposed to directly from Sager's website?

Do Lenovo business discounts apply to an already discounted consumer model online?
At what Sager are you looking?

Buying from resellers offers you more upgrade options, and also provides the ability to save 3% by using a cash payment method.

I imagine Lenovo's business discount can be used on everything.

Is this a good laptop to purchase for the price?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/HP-ENVY-17j053ea-17andrdquo-Laptop-Silver/315683/104.10

Or can I get one with similar specs for cheaper or a better one at the same price?

Is buying from here an option?

Ultimadrago

Dropping in about the MSI GT70. The thing is still going strong and playing any game I throw at it fine with full resolution.

Though I was having BSOD hiccups with the drivers as I said a few weeks back. It apprarently was caused by the Killer E2200's Bandwidth Control Filter. I finally uninstalled the filter while keeping the most up-to-date drivers and I haven't had an issue since. It was a very odd and frustrating problem for a while. I just hope it's fixed for good now.

Dropping in about the MSI GT70. The thing is still going strong and playing any game I throw at it fine with full resolution.

Though I was having BSOD hiccups with the drivers as I said a few weeks back. It apprarently was caused by the Killer E2200's Bandwidth Control Filter. I finally uninstalled the filter while keeping the most up-to-date drivers and I haven't had an issue since. It was a very odd and frustrating problem for a while. I just hope it's fixed for good now.

I've had my GT70 for roughly a week night now and have never been happier. Keyboard and speakers are top notch and it runs cool and quiet compared to my previous lappy. Installed Win7 Ultimate Edition, a Crucial M500, and an extra 8 gigs ram without a single hitch.

I'll prob upgrade the gpu when Maxwell 20nm hits next year and I love that I have that option.

Ultimadrago

I've had my GT70 for roughly a week night now and have never been happier. Keyboard and speakers are top notch and it runs cool and quiet compared to my previous lappy. Installed Win7 Ultimate Edition, a Crucial M500, and an extra 8 gigs ram without a single hitch.

I'll prob upgrade the gpu when Maxwell 20nm hits next year and I love that I have that option.

Yeah, I really do love this machine! As for OS, I clean installed to 8.1 as soon as I got my hands on it.

And woah, wait. The gpu is upgradable? Is that a thing for all dedicated cards? I'm still fairly new to the game laptop world.

Fezan

I am looking for a gaming laptop that i can take to office and use for work. any suggestions.
all have shit gpu which i have seen. best i have seen is a gt750m which is unable to play any modern game at decent settings ? or should i wait for Maxwell upgrade ?

K.Jack

Where did you go to uninstall that?

I am looking for a gaming laptop that i can take to office and use for work. any suggestions.
all have shit gpu which i have seen. best i have seen is a gt750m which is unable to play any modern game at decent settings ? or should i wait for Maxwell upgrade ?

Mobile 20nm Maxwell is likely 2015 at this point.

what laptops have the least bloatware?
sager

Ultimadrago

Where did you go to uninstall that?

I double-clicked the "KillerSuite_1.1.38.1281_Win7_Win8_Win81".exe driver package (You can get from the official site). That's the latest version as of this moment, anyhow.

When you first update, it will put on the whole package, but if you open the application after installation, you are allowed to "Modify" your installation and all you need to do from there is uncheck "Bandwidth Control Filter" and click next. It'll keep the drivers and do away with the Bandwidth Control Filter.

K.Jack

I double-clicked the "KillerSuite_1.1.38.1281_Win7_Win8_Win81".exe driver package (You can get from the official site). That's the latest version as of this moment, anyhow.

When you first update, it will put on the whole package, but if you open the application after installation, you are allowed to "Modify" your installation and all you need to do from there is uncheck "Bandwidth Control Filter" and click next. It'll keep the drivers and do away with the Bandwidth Control Filter.

Awesome. I'm going to see if removing that solves these disconnection issues I've been having.

I'm really new to this stuff- can someone explain to me what the Ultrabay feature on the Lenovo Y510p is? Thanks!

You can hot swap a second GPU or optical drive.

Well, the prices are in Euros so...yeah.

I'll check back to see if I can find a good config.
Check out this one. Add the i7-4700MQ, 8GB RAM, and whatever HDD/SSD you want.

Nvzman

If this doesn't belong here, I'll remove it but if not...
How strong is my 2007 laptop?

The specs:
Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5270 @ 1.4 GHz
2 GB of Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

Is there any well optimized games that I can play on this?
For reference, I can play Gmod (or any other source games) at high settings @ 45 fps and my screen resolution is 1280x800 (16:10)
Sonic All-Stars Transformed can only run at 60fps if my settings are all the way down :(

Smurf Yetti

Neo Member
Does Alienware make their own proprietary motherboards?

I recall reading that at one time, Alienware just rebranded Clevo, but does that still hold true today?

K.Jack

If this doesn't belong here, I'll remove it but if not...
How strong is my 2007 laptop?

The specs:
Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5270 @ 1.4 GHz
2 GB of Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

Is there any well optimized games that I can play on this?
For reference, I can play Gmod (or any other source games) at high settings @ 45 fps and my screen resolution is 1280x800 (16:10)
Sonic All-Stars Transformed can only run at 60fps if my settings are all the way down :(
The 8400M GS was a weak, low end GPU in 2007. Even today's integrated graphics are 2 or 3 times faster.

I don't see it running anything modern, except basic indie games.

Does Alienware make their own proprietary motherboards?

I recall reading that at one time, Alienware just rebranded Clevo, but does that still hold true today?

Alienware hasn't used Clevo for like seven years. These days Dell makes everything in house.

L.O.R.D

i want a help to chose i laptop for my brother

toshiba s55-a5279

Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz
8 GB DIMM RAM
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, Mobile Intel HD graphics
Windows 8
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB

or
asus s46 Ultrabook

Intel® Core™ i7 3517U Processor
8 GB DIMM RAM
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
14 Inch Screen, Mobile Intel HD graphics
Windows 8
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M 2GB

he want the laptop to stand for a long time
have less problems

K.Jack

i want a help to chose i laptop for my brother

toshiba s55-a5279

Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz
8 GB DIMM RAM
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, Mobile Intel HD graphics
Windows 8
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB

or
asus s46 Ultrabook

Intel® Core™ i7 3517U Processor
8 GB DIMM RAM
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
14 Inch Screen, Mobile Intel HD graphics
Windows 8
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M 2GB

he want the laptop to stand for a long time
have less problems

The Toshiba is by far the most powerful.

Metroid

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I am looking for a new laptop. It is not specifically for gaming but it has to play dota 2 on mid to low settings. Will a HD 4400 do it? I have been looking at the Lenovo u330p or the Lenovo z510 which would also come with a GT270m but would cost 100€ more. I have around 600€ at my disposal. Thanks for your help!

NEO0MJ

CyberpowerPC Fangbook Evo HX7-150 vs TOSHIBA Qosmio X75-A7170 thoughts?

This will be used for work and gaming (primarily D3 and Titanfall) if any other recommendations, they must be on newegg. It's going on the card son

Personally I'd go for the MSI GT60.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I am looking for a new laptop. It is not specifically for gaming but it has to play dota 2 on mid to low settings. Will a HD 4400 do it? I have been looking at the Lenovo u330p or the Lenovo z510 which would also come with a GT270m but would cost 100€ more. I have around 600€ at my disposal. Thanks for your help!

It should be able to play DOTA 2 on low (40-60FPS) or mid (25-35 FPS) according to notebookcheck.

Soonri

Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop SSD? I've been planning to get one but have been pretty busy.

Here's my laptop:
Lenovo Y410P
i7-4700MQ @ 2.4 GHz
8GB ram
NVIDIA GT755M

K.Jack

i know its powerful
how about sturdiness and reliability ?

Toshiba reviews.

Most laptops in the price range have the same pros and cons, which is why you should choose the most powerful one.

CyberpowerPC Fangbook Evo HX7-150 vs TOSHIBA Qosmio X75-A7170 thoughts?

This will be used for work and gaming (primarily D3 and Titanfall) if any other recommendations, they must be on newegg. It's going on the card son

I think your decision comes down to which machine's style you prefer.

Fyi, the Cyberpower is an unbranded MSI GT70 2OC. I say this because the 2OC is $1399, which is worth the extra $150, because this includes a second year of warranty and a year of accidental. The updated versions of this and all MSI's laptops just went up for preorder on reseller sites, with a release date of March 13th, so they should be hitting Amazon and Newegg soon.

So wait for them, if you can.

DOTA 2 runs on low settings with just about anything. The 4400 could do that.

Of course I say, if you can afford the 720M, take it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop SSD? I've been planning to get one but have been pretty busy.

Here's my laptop:
Lenovo Y410P
i7-4700MQ @ 2.4 GHz
8GB ram
NVIDIA GT755M

Budget?

zsswimmer

I have the gt70 too and it's a great laptop, just beasts through any game you provide it with. Haven't had any problems with it and I've had it for a couple of months.

Azure J

Yeah, I really do love this machine! As for OS, I clean installed to 8.1 as soon as I got my hands on it.

And woah, wait. The gpu is upgradable? Is that a thing for all dedicated cards? I'm still fairly new to the game laptop world.

Yeah, I'm going to need for someone to elaborate on whether or not the GPUs in the MSI GT70s can be user upgraded at a later date. It's "pull the trigger" time and something like this could pull me away from getting an Alienware.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Damn 8GB of VRAM for the 880m that's insane. I'm going to try to overclock my 780m to the speed of the 880 instead of upgrading that's for sure.

K.Jack

Yeah, I'm going to need for someone to elaborate on whether or not the GPUs in the MSI GT70s can be user upgraded at a later date. It's "pull the trigger" time and something like this could pull me away from getting an Alienware.

MSIs users from two or three years ago have been upgrading to GTX 680Ms. The 780M is prohibitively expensive, so

But the rule of thumb I push, is that one should never buy a laptop, expecting to be able to upgrade in the future.

But, assuming you need a forecast:

ASUS is impossible. Full stop.
Sager/Clevo is very difficult now.
Alienware is hit or miss, more hit than miss.
MSI is too soon to assume carte blanche.

And all of this is on top of everything, GPUs (Nvidia's Maxwell) are soon moving to a 20nm process, and we don't know whether those will require a different slot configuration altogether. I remember a lot of early GTX 260M and 280M owners were hopeful, then the new slot came out and we were locked out. This is a good time for everyone here to read up on the MXM standard.

Damn 8GB of VRAM for the 880m that's insane. I'm going to try to overclock my 780m to the speed of the 880 instead of upgrading that's for sure.

The 880M is a joke, rebranded 780M with a stupid amount of RAM.

What do yo think of what I said?

I'm trying to tell you, the GTX 870M destroys the 770M. If that is coming in the updated GT70, you'll want it.

so where are these pre order listings? or source of one knowing? kind of want something before the 13th of March

Hey, guys. In a few months, I'm headed to college to study Computer Science/Programming, but my Dell XPS15 is on its last legs. Can you guys help me get a PC that'll be good for that?

I'm looking for a laptop with good battery life, low weight, and decent enough to play games better than my old XPS and its GeForce 540m.

Thanks!

SuperJay

Hey, I need a laptop to run Oculus rift software at a steady 60 fps. (specifically this software)

I'm looking at the y510p 59402100 with NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB

vs.

the y510p Dual Graphics 59392626 with NVIDIA GeForce GT750M (SLI) GDDR5 2GB

Which is better?

I like the y510p form factor, but I guess I'm flexible. You could also throw in the y510p Dual Graphics 59405667 with NVIDIA GeForce GT755M (SLI) GDDR5 2GB, but at $1599. it's a bit pricey after tax and I'm not sure if the extra bang is worth the extra bucks.

Is there a better laptop for max $1600? Boss would prefer touch screen, but also not necessary. Buying from USA.

Thanks!

K.Jack

Yay 3 rebrands in a row.
This sucks :/

Only 2, actually. The 680M is a different card.

Hey, guys. In a few months, I'm headed to college to study Computer Science/Programming, but my Dell XPS15 is on its last legs. Can you guys help me get a PC that'll be good for that?

I'm looking for a laptop with good battery life, low weight, and decent enough to play games better than my old XPS and its GeForce 540m.

Thanks!

Lenovo Y410p.

Hey, I need a laptop to run Oculus rift software at a steady 60 fps. (specifically this software)

I'm looking at the y510p 59402100 with NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB

vs.

the y510p Dual Graphics 59392626 with NVIDIA GeForce GT750M (SLI) GDDR5 2GB

Which is better?

I like the y510p form factor, but I guess I'm flexible. You could also throw in the y510p Dual Graphics 59405667 with NVIDIA GeForce GT755M (SLI) GDDR5 2GB, but at $1599. it's a bit pricey after tax and I'm not sure if the extra bang is worth the extra bucks.

Is there a better laptop for max $1600? Boss would prefer touch screen, but also not necessary. Buying from USA.

Thanks!

Go with the SLI 750Ms.

I have no idea what it takes to run that software at 60fps.

Top Bottom