• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Cobaiye

I can't trust that. Better to use HWMonitor.

1462940466-capture.png

No GPU temps for some reason, you'll have to trust Afterburner :)

No GPU temps for some reason, you'll have to trust Afterburner :)

Is your laptop a hybrid graphics laptop (Optimus, in other words?)

If HWMonitor doesn't detect the dGPU as being active when it launches, it won't get any info about it. Run something that starts up the dGPU, but barely (try downloading MSI Kombustor, starting it, but not running any stress tests, or really any dedicated 3D benchmark with a launcher.

Patchy

Banned
Has anyone used the Dell XPS 15 for gaming?

I just want to be able to run Skyrim and a couple of emulators at decent FPS.

I have a gaming PC anyway this is just when I am out of town, so will the 960M 2GB be enough?

I am tossing up between this or waiting another 6 months for the Surface Book refresh and seeing where things stand...

Has anyone used the Dell XPS 15 for gaming?

I just want to be able to run Skyrim and a couple of emulators at decent FPS.

I have a gaming PC anyway this is just when I am out of town, so will the 960M 2GB be enough?

I am tossing up between this or waiting another 6 months for the Surface Book refresh and seeing where things stand...

You can go to town with Skyrim and that card. A GTX 760M 2GB will do either ~60 FPS High or ~30 FPS Ultra - I'd imagine that the 960 to be quite a bit faster.

You might want to wait for Pascal though. Like a GTX 1060M.

ZOONAMI

Perhaps with Polaris amd will be more relevant in the laptop space.

Actually fairly smart of them, more volume in laptops than high performance desktops. Margins maybe not as good though...

Patchy

Banned
Thanks for the response.

A Metabox / Clevo was also under consideration, but given I will use it mainly as a work machine something that looks a little more professional might be the ticket.

Think I'll just hold out and see when the 1060M is added to the Dell lineup.

anddo0

Thanks for the response.

A Metabox / Clevo was also under consideration, but given I will use it mainly as a work machine something that looks a little more professional might be the ticket.

Think I'll just hold out and see when the 1060M is added to the Dell lineup.

In for a penny in for a pound...

Be aware it might be quite the wait... We still have next to zero information about the laptop NV 1000M variant. Even when they're officially announced, expect them to go on back-order almost immediately. If you're comfortable with waiting between now and the end of November. By all means continue to wait. I know, I will.

Getting a laptop for personal use, now; sure get whatever... If you're on the market for a gaming laptop, just wait for Polaris and Pascal.. Unless you're on a budget, nothing in the 970M (980m, desktop 980) range is worth investing in, now that we know what's coming.

Hell, the desktop cards are priced so efficiently (and are out within the month). I'm almost tempted to build a desktop.

pillowpants

Neo Member
What kind of laptop video card should I expect to find in a gaming laptop if my budget for one is in the $500-$600 range? I hope that question makes sense.

Dascu

Reading some of the recent posts, am I correct that it'd be wise to wait until July because some new hardware waves would be available then?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What kind of laptop video card should I expect to find in a gaming laptop if my budget for one is in the $500-$600 range? I hope that question makes sense.

You definitely want to hold out for Pascal. The "low end" GT 1040M is rumored to be as faster or faster than the current GTX 960M.
Reading some of the recent posts, am I correct that it'd be wise to wait until July because some new hardware waves would be available then?

Wise to at least wait for a release date, yes.

vall03

Hi GAF, I'm still on the fence on what PC to buy, desktop or laptop. I actually asked on the other PC thread a few months ago and sadly, no one answered me. The reason why I'm still undecided is that I would consider myself a casual PC gamer, what I mean by casual is that I really have no desire to go for that 4K/60fps on Ultra or something. I'm completely fine on lowering game settings for performance. I also don't play a lot of games on PC and the only ones really I'm looking forward to on PC right now are Trails in the Sky 3rd, Xanadu Next and DDP Daifukkatsu which are games that doesn't really require high specs and my current laptop can handle them perfectly fine. I actually just want a more capable one since there are some games that struggled on running, like Ori and the Blind Forest for example. So, with my current circumstances, desktop or laptop?

Hi GAF, I'm still on the fence on what PC to buy, desktop or laptop. I actually asked on the other PC thread a few months ago and sadly, no one answered me. The reason why I'm still undecided is that I would consider myself a casual PC gamer, what I mean by casual is that I really have no desire to go for that 4K/60fps on Ultra or something. I'm completely fine on lowering game settings for performance. I also don't play a lot of games on PC and the only ones really I'm looking forward to on PC right now are Trails in the Sky 3rd, Xanadu Next and DDP Daifukkatsu which are games that doesn't really require high specs and my current laptop can handle them perfectly fine. I actually just want a more capable one since there are some games that struggled on running, like Ori and the Blind Forest for example. So, with my current circumstances, desktop or laptop?

You can readily find a laptop that can play Ori and the Blind forest level games for not too much money however it's going to be more expensive than the equivalent desktop power wise.

Laptop vs Desktop is more of a question of your personal preference and lifestyle I think then anything else.

Do you much prefer a laptop over a desktop to the point of paying 30%-40% or more for a laptop that's equivalent to the desktop you'd be after? If you travel a lot, it might be a no brainer.

That all being said since you don't seem to play anything overly intensive you'd be at the lower end of the spectrum for laptops so could probably find something good for $500 - $600 or less. I don't really know that side of laptops too well.

vall03

You can readily find a laptop that can play Ori and the Blind forest level games for not too much money however it's going to be more expensive than the equivalent desktop power wise.

Laptop vs Desktop is more of a question of your personal preference and lifestyle I think then anything else.

Do you much prefer a laptop over a desktop to the point of paying 30%-40% or more for a laptop that's equivalent to the desktop you'd be after? If you travel a lot, it might be a no brainer.

That all being said since you don't seem to play anything overly intensive you'd be at the lower end of the spectrum for laptops so could probably find something good for $500 - $600 or less. I don't really know that side of laptops too well.

Another thing why I'm undecided is price, sure desktops would be incredibly cheaper but there's still part of me that wants portability so I don't mind shelling out additional cash for a laptop, but gaming laptops or high end ones are kinda heavy. One of the reasons for this is that I want to play Football Manager on the go as well, though mostly in my office during breaks. Though to be honest, I spend most of my time playing PC games at home sitting in one spot and occasionally plug it into my TV. As for intensive games, I still do want to play them and as I have mentioned, I'm willing to lower down game settings and it doesn't bother me in terms of performance.

This is kind of a tough decision to make, since even I don't know what exactly I want. lol

Dascu

You definitely want to hold out for Pascal. The "low end" GT 1040M is rumored to be as faster or faster than the current GTX 960M.

Wise to at least wait for a release date, yes.

I would basically need a new laptop by early August at the latest. I'm also based in Europe (Belgium) and budget is around 1000EU. With that in mind, is it useful to wait or will it be out of my budget anyway or not available yet in my region?

Tizoc

Hi everyone typing fro. My phone so thisll be a quick question
One of my brothers wants a new laptop but he would like to get a cheap one
As far as performance goes he mainly watches videos on it and plays dota 2
What is a good cheap model with a 15-17 inch screen available atm that can run dota 2 at highest settings wihout issues
If there is a new model coming out in a few months we could wait for that if one could mention it thanks

Azuardo

Hi all, hoping to get some help in here, or at least suggestions for me to consider as someone who has never owned a gaming laptop or desktop before, but would now ideally like a laptop powerful enough to handle games competently.

Budget: I want to say max would be £1000, but would prefer spending less if possible. Might consider higher if necessary.
Screen size: Current laptop is 17.3 inch, so would like to stick with 17+.
Usage: Would like to run games like Tomb Raider, Lightning Returns, FFX HD on max at 1080p. Would settle for high settings instead of max/ultra, perhaps, depending on prices.
Misc: Battery life isn't a concern (I always use laptops plugged in), prefer 1920x1080 resolution, quiet fan.

If there's anything out there that can be suggested, please let me know. I'm not 100% sure whether I will buy anything, but want to see what options are out there, and don't know where to start. Thanks all.

K.Jack

Just put all purchases on hold, at least until Computex is over, which runs from May 31 to June 6.

By then we should have an idea on what Nvidia and AMD are doing in the mobile space, with Pascal and Polaris. Hopefully release dates as well.

Tizoc

Just put all purchases on hold, at least until Computex is over, which runs from May 31 to June 6.

By then we should have an idea on what Nvidia and AMD are doing in the mobile space, with Pascal and Polaris. Hopefully release dates as well.

Thanks for the info mate.

Did a bit of DIY cleaning out my laptop's heatsink and repasting the CPU and GPU's copper blocks. (It's out of warranty.)

How would I know if I did it incorrectly? I'm now running stress testing on the CPU to see if anything is amiss. With Prime95 running, the CPU is able to maintain 2.4 GHz, the i7-4700HQ's base speed, or slightly higher at 2.5 GHz, peaking at 86C, with the option that generates maximum heat, throwing out the stats for the first self-test (first two tests in the first group, in other words.) Seems like CPU-wise, it's fine.

Cobaiye

Is your laptop a hybrid graphics laptop (Optimus, in other words?)

If HWMonitor doesn't detect the dGPU as being active when it launches, it won't get any info about it. Run something that starts up the dGPU, but barely (try downloading MSI Kombustor, starting it, but not running any stress tests, or really any dedicated 3D benchmark with a launcher.

1463487468-lol.png

I just returns my XPS 15 because of the size of the keyboard (too small) and the high response time (you can't even scroll with the trackpad without ghosting; confirmed this is normal for the model).

I have never felt more left behind by a consumer market than I do the laptop space. There is virtually nothing with everything I want, and the things that come close have an absolutely fatal shortcoming that don't make it viable.

I guess I'm waiting for some reviews of the Lenovo Yoga 710 to see if it's as good as it looks.

Cobaiye

What video card drivers have you installed, by the way? Though I guess it is odd that no status is showing up. (then again my laptop had a 760M, and something might have changed, and it's also a different model of laptop.)

Latest, Crimson 16.5.2.1

Hi everyone typing fro. My phone so thisll be a quick question
One of my brothers wants a new laptop but he would like to get a cheap one
As far as performance goes he mainly watches videos on it and plays dota 2
What is a good cheap model with a 15-17 inch screen available atm that can run dota 2 at highest settings wihout issues
If there is a new model coming out in a few months we could wait for that if one could mention it thanks

Take a look at the Dell XPS series. They have decent graphics chips and have some crazy sales from time to time.

Cobaiye

Ah, AMD. That might make things a bit complicated, since I'm not sure if AMD exposes thermal sensors to HWMonitor. Do GPU temp monitors appear functional in stress-testing programs' own monitor?

The temps shown on HWMonitor are those from the dGPU, HWMonitor just show them under the HD Graphics name for some reason.

K.Jack

Did a bit of DIY cleaning out my laptop's heatsink and repasting the CPU and GPU's copper blocks. (It's out of warranty.)

How would I know if I did it incorrectly? I'm now running stress testing on the CPU to see if anything is amiss. With Prime95 running, the CPU is able to maintain 2.4 GHz, the i7-4700HQ's base speed, or slightly higher at 2.5 GHz, peaking at 86C, with the option that generates maximum heat, throwing out the stats for the first self-test (first two tests in the first group, in other words.) Seems like CPU-wise, it's fine.

Done wrongly, the temps would be too high. 86C on a max stress test looks good to me.

Only explanation left, is that the motherboard's thermal sensor has gone bad, and is providing false information.

I can't come up with any other reason that a CPU and GPU, each with their own separate heatsink and fan, would both be reading so high, after so much maintenance.

It is the only logical conclusion that's left.

Thought process:

Both parts have clean fans and heatsinks. Both have been pasted properly and heatsinks are firmly installed (right?). Both fans are fully functional while machine is under load. During use, bottom of laptop is free of obstructions to air circulation . If none of these statements are incorrect, laptop is in a healthy state, and the temperatures should reflect this healthy environment. There is no normal situation which would cause both the CPU and GPU to overheat, as they do not have a shared cooling solution.

Hardware-wise, the only part in the laptop, that actually links the components to each other, is the thermal sensor.

I feel good about this deduction.

GREAT laptop, but horrible time to buy, as the announcement of mobile Pascal is right on the horizon. The GTX 1070M is looking like a huge jump over the 970M.

Wait until Computex 2016 (May 31-June 6), we should have details and hopefully release dates.

damn thanks for that info, I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on this lol. will wait to see what happens!

GREAT laptop, but horrible time to buy, as the announcement of mobile Pascal is right on the horizon. The GTX 1070M is looking like a huge jump over the 970M.

Wait until Computex 2016 (May 31-June 6), we should have details and hopefully release dates.
What up my man, been lurking around because I want to make this my next get, noticed you had been saying this...now is this because the prices for everything else will drop or because these new cards really are worth the wait?

I don't want to spend too much but if it's worth the extra while spending money in that range I can bite. I don't play that much besides DOTA and Siege but it'll be nice to be set up a while.

Atomski

Hey I have a Lenovo Y50-70.

A few months back I was having this annoying screen blinking randomly. It was after updating the Nividia drivers. Took a while to figure it out but after a while I updated the intel internal graphics and the bios and the blinking stopped.

Fast forward to a few days ago I update the nividia drivers again and the blinking is back. But there is no new bios or intel driver to update to.

what do? :/

anddo0

Hey I have a Lenovo Y50-70.

A few months back I was having this annoying screen blinking randomly. It was after updating the Nividia drivers. Took a while to figure it out but after a while I updated the intel internal graphics and the bios and the blinking stopped.

Fast forward to a few days ago I update the nividia drivers again and the blinking is back. But there is no new bios or intel driver to update to.

what do? :/

Try an older Intel driver, or go back to a older NV driver (the one that was working for you).. #1 rule, Unless the new driver dramatically improves the performance of a game you're playing, stick to your current drivers; if it ain't broke....

I pray the new cards get rid of these Intel/NV/AMD combos.

What up my man, been lurking around because I want to make this my next get, noticed you had been saying this...now is this because the prices for everything else will drop or because these new cards really are worth the wait?

I don't want to spend too much but if it's worth the extra while spending money in that range I can bite. I don't play that much besides DOTA and Siege but it'll be nice to be set up a while.

The new cards aren't for you, if you're under budget constraints.. Rough estimate, a GTX 1070M build will be around $1799-$1999 (on the low end).. The GTX 1070M, should knock a 980m build into the $1500-$1700 range, and it just goes from there..

You're in a holding pattern regardless, as prices on older models should fall accordingly. I'd eye the 970m, if all you're playing is games like DOTA. We'll have to see how much the older model card prices drop.

The new cards aren't for you, if you're under budget constraints.. Rough estimate, a GTX 1070M build will be around $1799-$1999 (on the low end).. The GTX 1070M, should knock a 980m build into the $1500-$1700 range, and it just goes from there..

You're in a holding pattern regardless, as prices on older models should fall accordingly. I'd eye the 970m, if all you're playing is games like DOTA. We'll have to see how much the older model card prices drop.
Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I'm not totally picky but I also don't want to pick a card or laptop that will fall behind quickly. I want to spend 800-900 but could stretch it to 1000 if worth it, over 1200 probably too much.

I guess eventually I want to be able to run BF5 but it seems like at least a 970/960M should be able to get the job done.

K.Jack

Prices never drop on laptop which have the old cards. What happens is that the new cards are shipped in those same laptops, at the same price. So, just using this GE62 w/ GTX 970M as an example, when MSI is allowed to start selling the GTX 1070M version, the price will likely be $1399, as it was during the 970M's launch.

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I'm not totally picky but I also don't want to pick a card or laptop that will fall behind quickly. I want to spend 800-900 but could stretch it to 1000 if worth it, over 1200 probably too much.

I guess eventually I want to be able to run BF5 but it seems like at least a 970/960M should be able to get the job done.

Nvidia always slots the new card in where the old one was, with the same TDP and price per wafer as the card its replacing. So your GTX 1070M laptops will run in the same $1299-$1499 range of the current GTX 970M machines. GTX 1060M machines will run a solid ~$1k and up, depending on manufacturer. This makes it easy for manufacturers to 1. have laptops already built that can handle the new chip's identical TDP, and 2. offer a seamless transition as the to-customer prices are still in the same ballpark.

Also, cards from top to bottom will benefit people of every budget class. Check out this leaked Chinese performance hierarchy. It it's true, even the person who falls in the $500 range will get a GT 1040M that equals or surpasses the current GT 960M, and the ~$1k 1060M machines will give near GTX 970M numbers.

So definitely wait for a release date, then make a decision,

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
I'm looking for a cheap laptop for some light gaming. I want to buy something better more expensive later, but I need a stopgap right now for like six months to a year.

Maximum budget: $500 (willing to be a bit flexible with this)
Max size: 15inches, doesn't need to be ultraportable but hopefully not much more than six pounds
Planned usage: Play Overwatch (at med-high maybe)? preferably able to stream some light gaming (so have OBS running simultaneously)
Display: At least 1920x1080

K.Jack

Since I've been doing so much talk about Computex, I've begun worrying that I'm not setting realistic expectations. I certainly don't mean to have people thinking that we'll go straightaway from showcase to immediate release.

So I decided to do some research, on how long after a Computex showing Nvidia tends to release the GPUs which were shown off in laptops at the show.

Computex 2012. GTX 600M was shown. Laptops were available in May. GTX 680M and AMD 7970M came out June/July.

Computex 2013. GTX 700M was shown. Laptops were available in June.

Computex 2014. GTX 900M was shown. Laptops were available in October.

So the releases definitely vary. My only advice is to at least wait until after Computex, then make an informed decision on whether the new cards are worth the wait.

In other news, ASUS is teasing their new laptop already, saying even at stock settings its mystery GPU beats a TITAN-X.

ASUS-GTX-1080M-4.jpg

Madre de Dios. The hype is real.

Marche90

What do you guys think of this laptop? I am buying it mostly for work purposes as well as casual gaming.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am really attached to SSD's, and so far this seems like the best I could find with an SSD at a reasonable ptice.

It... actually looks pretty decent for the price. Considering gaming takes a back seat and that it has an SSD, a FullHD screen and dGPU, it's not half bad.

K.Jack

Does Nvidia always provide at least the release window for their new laptop cards at computex even if they're several months out?
Yes.

If laptops sporting the cards are shown there, we absolutely will be given indication of their launch windows. MSI and Clevo are usually the first\ to market. Asus and Dell (Alienware) lag behind.

If nothing is shown or said, we're fucked.

It... actually looks pretty decent for the price. Considering gaming takes a back seat and that it has an SSD, a FullHD screen and dGPU, it's not half bad.

I agree.

Guys What would you pick between these 3 options? I like the idea of the Alienware GPU port thing so that's why i've picked Alienware as i'm hoping that when it runs slow in a couple of years i'll be able to just throw a desktop GPU at it?

Is it worthwhile picking one of these up just now or waiting till the 1080m drops as i'm assuming there should be some price cuts on the 980m/970m range?

Edit: Can't get the link to the Dell website to work :(

Top Bottom