• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Shizuka

I need help, badly. I bought a brand new Samsung notebook a few weeks ago and it always turns on when I open the lid. This makes the boot take a long time and I want it to turn on only when I press the power button. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

ViciousDS

Banned
I need help, badly. I bought a brand new Samsung notebook a few weeks ago and it always turns on when I open the lid. This makes the boot take a long time and I want it to turn on only when I press the power button. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

did you check the BIOS? Seems like something in there would be what turns it on.

You're booting up from a cold boot correct?

Shizuka

did you check the BIOS? Seems like something in there would be what turns it on.

You're booting up from a cold boot correct?

I checked it, but I never found the option there... UEFI, right? I'd like to say yes to your second question, since I unchecked all options for suspension and hibernation.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So if you completely shut it down (not the sleep pressing the power button puts it into), it powers itself on when you open the lid? Never heard of that before now.

Why would that make the boot any longer, though?

Sorry I'm trying to understand what's going on here.

Shizuka

So if you completely shut it down (not the sleep pressing the power button puts it into), it powers itself on when you open the lid? Never heard of that before now.

Why would that make the boot any longer, though?

Sorry I'm trying to understand what's going on here.

Yes, it powers itself on when I open the lid, even when I completely shut it down. I guess it makes the boot takes longer because it's always somewhat "on", that must be the case, since it's a brand new laptop. I've researched and found that it's a recurring issue with Toshiba laptops, but I didn't find a solution for this particular model or even manufacturer.

K.Jack

I don't think it's going to make the boot longer, but you can test this by shutting it down with the lid open, then timing the boot from the power button.

K.Jack

Very nice find! Before I pull trigger, how does this look? http://www.ebuyer.com/719682-zoostorm-gaming-media-notebook-7260-9026

Bit extra obviously but with a 960 and SSD it seems ok?

If we're spending extra, that is not the laptop we want. The GPU and SSD are nice, but the dual core CPU is an immediate deal breaker. This one, however, is a good choice. It lacks the SSD, but you get the GTX 960M and the important quad core CPU. You can always add an additional SSD later, and MSI laptops are extremely easy to upgrade.

GRaider81

If we're spending extra, that is not the laptop we want. The GPU and SSD are nice, but the dual core CPU is an immediate deal breaker. This one, however, is a good choice. It lacks the SSD, but you get the GTX 960M and the important quad core CPU. You can always add an additional SSD later, and MSI laptops are extremely easy to upgrade.

Ok thanks for all the advice.

Sorry, bud one last option that i found! https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156...-8gb-ddr4-128gb-m2-ssdplus1tb-hdd-2gb-gtx-960

I bought an Asus N56V (i7-3630QM, GTX 650m) for £375 (bought it with staff discount at previous job on my last day) and it runs things pretty well (apart from Rocket League settings needed to be put at low + 720p for most settings) but I noticed the fans like to kick up and the laptop gets hot pretty quickly.

I saw the post up a bit saying 90º seems pretty normal but I worry about these things and was wondering if these laptop cooling stands with fans in them are actually any good (example of one)? I can deal with it if they're not, but I don't like playing games downstairs or something thinking that my legs/ the table will catch on fire and would give a little peace of mind :p

Will the MSI GT72S be overshadow by what's coming potentially coming out for laptops in the next 3-6 months, or will I be set to go regarding a VR capable laptop for some time?

Will the MSI GT72S be overshadow by what's coming potentially coming out for laptops in the next 3-6 months, or will I be set to go regarding a VR capable laptop for some time?

Hmm the recommend specs for the rift for instance requests a GTX 970 or equivalent [desktop card]

The GT72S comes with the 980m which is something like 90% the power of the desktop GTX 970 roughly albeit with double the vRam

I would honestly recommend waiting just because while Pascal may not be the upgrade people were hoping for, it's going to hit in 3 or 4 months and you'll still see notable performance gains at the same heat and energy profiles and likely cost

If you wait 3 months you may be able to keep using the same laptop for 6-12 months longer

Hmm the recommend specs for the rift for instance requests a GTX 970 or equivalent [desktop card]

The GT72S comes with the 980m which is something like 90% the power of the desktop GTX 970 roughly albeit with double the vRam

I would honestly recommend waiting just because while Pascal may not be the upgrade people were hoping for, it's going to hit in 3 or 4 months and you'll still see notable performance gains at the same heat and energy profiles and likely cost

If you wait 3 months you may be able to keep using the same laptop for 6-12 months longer

Cool deal, thanks for the heads up

Anion

If if the 1000 series is anything like the 900 series in terms of improvement...the 1000 card will be literally insane.

Might have to sell my 970M msi GS60...like omg. Im too excite although I planned on upgrading in a year or two when Intel's gen 7 cpus were out

Hey,

My laptop is overheating, both the CPU and the GPU reach high temps while in use. The GPU gets to 101°C before hitting temp treshold and downcloking while CPU gets to ~92°C before hitting temp treshold and downclocking aswell... I already cleaned it and changed the thermal paste, but nothing has changed. I even bought a cooling pad and even that did nothing. Anybody can help me ?

My laptop is a Clevo P170SM with an i7 4800MQ and a HD8970M.

Damn, what do people on the owners forum report?

K.Jack

Ok thanks for all the advice.

Sorry, bud one last option that i found! https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156...-8gb-ddr4-128gb-m2-ssdplus1tb-hdd-2gb-gtx-960

OK, I'd go with this one. MSI quality is top of the shelf.

But, if you're in no hurry, wait for the GTX 1060M laptops.

I bought an Asus N56V (i7-3630QM, GTX 650m) for £375 (bought it with staff discount at previous job on my last day) and it runs things pretty well (apart from Rocket League settings needed to be put at low + 720p for most settings) but I noticed the fans like to kick up and the laptop gets hot pretty quickly.

I saw the post up a bit saying 90º seems pretty normal but I worry about these things and was wondering if these laptop cooling stands with fans in them are actually any good (example of one)? I can deal with it if they're not, but I don't like playing games downstairs or something thinking that my legs/ the table will catch on fire and would give a little peace of mind :p

How old is this? It may just need to be freed of dust.

Cooling pads can help, as long as they don't block the laptop's intakes.

DO NOT buy now! Pascal tuns out to be the truth. If you want VR, you wait for the GTX 1080M.

Yes, I've meticulously cleaned every parts of the laptop.

Hmm, well the CPU and GPU themselves wouldn't just run hot. I'm trying to figure out what scenarios are left.

1. Fans needing to be replaced

2. Heatsinks aren't tight enough (or need to be replaced)

2. TIM application needs to be redone. What TIM are you using?

3. Try propping up just the rear of the laptop. Is what it sits on allowing proper airflow?

Where the Pascal mobile GPUs at

Reliable sauces say we'll hear something by the end of the month.

If if the 1000 series is anything like the 900 series in terms of improvement...the 1000 card will be literally insane.

Might have to sell my 970M msi GS60...like omg. Im too excite although I planned on upgrading in a year or two when Intel's gen 7 cpus were out
Imagine if the GTX 1080M is a mobile GTX 1070. That could mean TITAN-X power in a laptop.

I need to sit down.

K.Jack

Biggest question mark is on whether we get the full GTX 1070, or a chopped down derivative.

Even I will upgrade my GT72's GPU, if it's the full bore 1070. Nvidia pls!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Cleaned out the inside 9f my P37xV4 for the first time yesterday. Was not easy. Also had to remove a piece of electrical tape which was holding a wire to the fan, but also holding the fan to the motherboard after the screws were removed.

Nice how unscrewing the fans to remove dust voided the warranty.

Also it never ceases to amaze me how a few tiny clumps of dust the size of a fingernail can cause such a huge change in temperature.

Cobaiye

Hmm, well the CPU and GPU themselves wouldn't just run hot. I'm trying to figure out what scenarios are left.

1. Fans needing to be replaced

2. Heatsinks aren't tight enough (or need to be replaced)

2. TIM application needs to be redone. What TIM are you using?

3. Try propping up just the rear of the laptop. Is what it sits on allowing proper airflow?

1) Fans appear to work OK.
2) When I replaced the thermal paste they seemed tight enough.
3) TIM ? If you're asking what brand of thermal paste I applied it's Cooler Master.
4) I just did that with the laptop sitting on the cooling pad and there was no difference.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a laptop that can run 4x games well (Stellaris, Masters of Orion, etc.). Any recommendations? I'm looking for something around $1000.

Kieli

If you guys are springing for 1070M or 1080M, get a laptop with MXM modules.

Maybe you won't upgrade to the 11xx series, but having that option is always nice.

Maybe you won't upgrade to the 11xx series, but having that option is always nice.

I've wondered about such modules. Do you have to get the laptop from a custom builder like xoticpcs who you could send the laptop back to and get the module upgraded to a new GPU? I've never really found a good site that sold such modules themselves to consumers.

Kieli

I've wondered about such modules. Do you have to get the laptop from a custom builder like xoticpcs who you could send the laptop back to and get the module upgraded to a new GPU? I've never really found a good site that sold such modules themselves to consumers.

I think quite a few companies offer MXM laptops by default. For example, MSI with their GS7x line of gaming laptops. I know that Aorus does as well. Dell too.

Usually the modules are not sold directly to consumers. You have to purchase them from a shop and they provide the installation.

Although if you were confident in your installation skills, I suppose you could get a module off of eBay.

So there was a similar deal 2 weeks ago but this one seems even better

http://slickdeals.net/f/8724543-cyb...2gb-ssd-gtx-965m-50-amex-gc-950-free-shipping

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mothers_Day_Tracer_15_Special

For $950, laptop has the following specs:

Specs:
Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz (3.5GHz Turbo, 6MB Cache) Quad Core
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
15.6" 1080P IPS Display
16GB 2133 MHz Corsiar Dual Channel DDR4L
512GB Sandisk M.2 X400 SSD
Nvidia GTX 965M 4GB GDDR5
2 X USB 3.0 with 1.8A fast Charging, 1 X USB 3.1 Type C, 2 X USB 2.0
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0
HDMI Out
Red Backlit Keyboard
6 Cells 4400 mAh battery
6.06 lbs /2.75 kgs
1 Year warranty

Last deal had 8GB DDR4 and 256GB M.2 SSD + 1TB 2.5" HDD for $989 so I think this deal is better

Deal also includes:
  • $50 Amex Gift Card
  • Razer Nabu X Smartband
  • CyberPowerPC AULA Explosive Gaming Headset
  • CyberPowerPC 6 Key 4000 DPI Mouse with Weight System

You could also add in a 2.5" HDD for storage for cheap after the fact by yourself

Full instructions to follow are on the slickdeals link above.

Pascal cards are around the corner but this is still a pretty good deal although I guess the equivalent of the 1060m card seems to have the largest improvement over its predecessor from what k.jack's mentioned.

GravyButt

Not really looking for a "gaming" laptop so to speak but really only looking for a laptop with a 14 or 15" monitor that's capable of streaming my xb1 and ps4. Im not looking to spend much and really didn't know where to ask. Got a few gift cards on amazon I figured I could use towards it. Itll be hardwired most of the time when streaming but I need a laptop for work purposes but don't really pc game much anymore. Plus I have a few year old gaming desktop that's still fairly capable should I decide:) thanks!

Aka i got no clue what to look for

Anion

So there was a similar deal 2 weeks ago but this one seems even better

http://slickdeals.net/f/8724543-cyb...2gb-ssd-gtx-965m-50-amex-gc-950-free-shipping

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mothers_Day_Tracer_15_Special

For $950, laptop has the following specs:

Last deal had 8GB DDR4 and 256GB M.2 SSD + 1TB 2.5" HDD for $989 so I think this deal is better

You could also add in a 2.5" HDD for storage for cheap after the fact by yourself

Full instructions to follow are on the slickdeals link above.

Pascal cards are around the corner but this is still a pretty good deal although I guess the equivalent of the 1060m card seems to have the largest improvement over its predecessor from what k.jack's mentioned.

Hmm wow thats pretty good. I would have bought that instantly for my little sister if it was a bit less bulky.

Biggest question mark is on whether we get the full GTX 1070, or a chopped down derivative.

Even I will upgrade my GT72's GPU, if it's the full bore 1070. Nvidia pls!

Imagine if the GTX 1080M is a mobile GTX 1070. That could mean TITAN-X power in a laptop.

I need to sit down.

I KNOW RIGHT. Ive been too excited. Its like having a VR ready laptop...like omg thats something crazy lol

K.Jack

1) Fans appear to work OK.
2) When I replaced the thermal paste they seemed tight enough.
3) TIM ? If you're asking what brand of thermal paste I applied it's Cooler Master.
4) I just did that with the laptop sitting on the cooling pad and there was no difference.

Experiment: Run a demanding game or program, with the laptop lifted into the air. Record max temps.

Just doing this to knock things off of my mental list.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a laptop that can run 4x games well (Stellaris, Masters of Orion, etc.). Any recommendations? I'm looking for something around $1000.

Wait a few months.

I think quite a few companies offer MXM laptops by default. For example, MSI with their GS7x line of gaming laptops. I know that Aorus does as well. Dell too.

Usually the modules are not sold directly to consumers. You have to purchase them from a shop and they provide the installation.

Although if you were confident in your installation skills, I suppose you could get a module off of eBay.

Even with MXM, there's no guarantee the laptop is plug and play with newer GPUs, until someone tries it.

The only manufacturer that guarantees an upgrade path, and sells kits, is MSI for its GT72.

That said, most of the newer Clevo machines have proven to be unlocked as well, but you have to source your own GPU.

Don't go Alienware or ASUS, if you have an eye toward future upgrades.

Not really looking for a "gaming" laptop so to speak but really only looking for a laptop with a 14 or 15" monitor that's capable of streaming my xb1 and ps4. Im not looking to spend much and really didn't know where to ask. Got a few gift cards on amazon I figured I could use towards it. Itll be hardwired most of the time when streaming but I need a laptop for work purposes but don't really pc game much anymore. Plus I have a few year old gaming desktop that's still fairly capable should I decide:) thanks!

Aka i got no clue what to look for

I have no idea where you are, or what your budget is.

I KNOW RIGHT. Ive been too excited. Its like having a VR ready laptop...like omg thats something crazy lol

I still remember when the best "affordable" chip was the 8600M GT, based from the 8500 GT, and I thought it was a beast.

Pretty wild that we're getting this close to the desktop chips. I'm 100% confident that the full GTX 1080 will see some sort of 1180M or 1080MX release as well, next year.

jetsetrez

What's the current advice on the 10x line for gaming laptops? Do we think it will be hitting any time soon, and will it be really expensive? Like, will Dell be putting out a new i7559 equivalent with a 10x card, or will it not reach that price point?

luffeN

Just realized that my work laptop only has 1366x768 resolution so I wanted to buy a Dell with 1080 and 960M but no shops have it here and Amazon does not ship this laptop to Austria ... Is that a sign that I should wait for Pascal?

My dad wants a laptop for very basic stuff (MS Word, YouTube, checking emails) so I thought I'd pick one up when I visit the US since there's such a wide variety available on Amazon etc. Could anyone recommend something in the $300 range? Again, it's for extremely basic use, but would be nice if it's screen wasn't too shitty so he can watch videos/movies on it whenever he feels like it, and if it isn't too slow.

Here's one that caught me eye:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCU5TIQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks in advance!

derFeef

Just realized that my work laptop only has 1366x768 resolution so I wanted to buy a Dell with 1080 and 960M but no shops have it here and Amazon does not ship this laptop to Austria ... Is that a sign that I should wait for Pascal?

Sorry for OT but I totally recognize your username from outside GAF, but can't remember details... it's driving me crazy.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Even with MXM, there's no guarantee the laptop is plug and play with newer GPUs, until someone tries it.

The only manufacturer that guarantees an upgrade path, and sells kits, is MSI for its GT72.

That said, most of the newer Clevo machines have proven to be unlocked as well, but you have to source your own GPU.

Don't go Alienware or ASUS, if you have an eye toward future upgrades.
Not sure about the newest Precisions, but traditionally the 17'' line has worked with a myriad of MXM cards. The one that I have is almost 4 years old, and even the 9x0M/Mx000 work on it.

I still remember when the best "affordable" chip was the 8600M GT, based from the 8500 GT, and I thought it was a beast.

Pretty wild that we're getting this close to the desktop chips. I'm 100% confident that the full GTX 1080 will see some sort of 1180M or 1080MX release as well, next year.
The 8600M variants were amazing for the time and were actually pretty much the same model as the desktop parts, but with (notably) lower clocks. Shame about those soldering issues that they (and plenty of other hardware at the time) had, but If you were lucky like me and got one of the non-faulty GDDR3-based 8600M GT, you could pretty much overclock it even past the desktop clocks with ease.

Some buying advice please GAF:

Country: Ireland (but should be able to ship from uk/Europe if needs be)

Use: indie gaming and streaming from my desktop. Big power isn't essential, a decent i3-ish would probably suffice, but I'd really like a 1080p screen above everything else. But if I can get a good deal on something more powerful then that's good too.

Budget: €600-700

Ive heard that it might be smarter to wait until summertime for the back to school deals but thought I'd at least nail down a spec now.

Thanks in advance.

K.Jack

What's the current advice on the 10x line for gaming laptops? Do we think it will be hitting any time soon, and will it be really expensive? Like, will Dell be putting out a new i7559 equivalent with a 10x card, or will it not reach that price point?

Semi-reliable sauces have said we'll hear something by the end of the month.
Interesting, very interesting. So I guess 9xxm notebooks will get cheaper soon?

Nope, never happens that way, the old laptops just disappear from the market.

Yeah, I'd bear it until Pascal. The 960M -> 1060M jump is huge, like 75%

My dad wants a laptop for very basic stuff (MS Word, YouTube, checking emails) so I thought I'd pick one up when I visit the US since there's such a wide variety available on Amazon etc. Could anyone recommend something in the $300 range? Again, it's for extremely basic use, but would be nice if it's screen wasn't too shitty so he can watch videos/movies on it whenever he feels like it, and if it isn't too slow.

Here's one that caught me eye:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCU5TIQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks in advance!

A non-shitty 768p screen does not exist.

Not sure about the newest Precisions, but traditionally the 17'' line has worked with a myriad of MXM cards. The one that I have is almost 4 years old, and even the 9x0M/Mx000 work on it.

The 8600M variants were amazing for the time and were actually pretty much the same model as the desktop parts, but with (notably) lower clocks. Shame about those soldering issues that they (and plenty of other hardware at the time) had, but If you were lucky like me and got one of the non-faulty GDDR3-based 8600M GT, you could pretty much overclock it even past the desktop clocks with ease.

I was lucky enough to get a DDR2 8600M GT that never failed me. The GDDR3 one was amazing, wished I could afford it.

Playing Mass Effect 1 waaaay better than the X360 version blew my mind. Since then I was married to having gaming laptops.

Some buying advice please GAF:

Country: Ireland (but should be able to ship from uk/Europe if needs be)

Use: indie gaming and streaming from my desktop. Big power isn't essential, a decent i3-ish would probably suffice, but I'd really like a 1080p screen above everything else. But if I can get a good deal on something more powerful then that's good too.

Budget: €600-700

Ive heard that it might be smarter to wait until summertime for the back to school deals but thought I'd at least nail down a spec now.

Thanks in advance.

By then a Skylake i5 quad and GT 1040M or 1050M should be running about that much.

I'd definitely wait.

So the gaming laptop I purchased has G-Sync. Is this only used when outputting an image via HDMI, or does it work with the laptop screen as well?

Also, noob gaming laptop question, is there any performance hit for outputting a games video/audio via HDMI to a TV, that runs at the same resolution?

Kieli

So the gaming laptop I purchased has G-Sync. Is this only used when outputting an image via HDMI, or does it work with the laptop screen as well?

Also, noob gaming laptop question, is there any performance hit for outputting a games video/audio via HDMI to a TV, that runs at the same resolution?

It depends on when you purchased the laptop. If it's recent and it's equipped with GTX 965/970/980M, then the laptop screen is G-sync enabled.

Otherwise, the older iterations with those exact GPUs can only support an external G-sync enabled monitor through HDMI.

(check if the laptop has a G-sync sticker)

K.Jack

1. Would help to know what laptop is.

2. No.

Cobaiye

Experiment: Run a demanding game or program, with the laptop lifted into the air. Record max temps.

Just doing this to knock things off of my mental list.

Here it is

1462927899-capture.png

I don't know why it goes to 511°C while idle.

Top Bottom