• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 PC Screenshot Thread of No Compromises

Nick Pal

Risen 3 Enhanced Edition | Texture mods

Took a few more of the ship but at a different times of the day. There's some really gorgeous dynamic lighting and color changes in the game.

risen3_2016_01_07_21_bvs2r.jpg

risen3_2016_01_07_19_b9slf.jpg

Have you guys installed any mods? The hair in my game doesn't look anything like that-- so detailed. Yes, having Hairworks enabled. But it doesn't look that detailed, clear and dynamic.

There is nothing for me, not always looks like this for sure, i just catch with nice lighting. :D Also hairworks just for Geralt and monsters, shame no for other characters. Especially Yennefer with Hairworks might be best. :p

witcher3_2016_01_05_2ofrju.jpg

witcher3_2016_01_05_2l8pr8.jpg

Spazznid

Have you guys installed any mods? The hair in my game doesn't look anything like that-- so detailed. Yes, having Hairworks enabled. But it doesn't look that detailed, clear and dynamic.

I'm pretty sure their Hairworks is off... Haven't played in a bit though so I dunno...

24261148465_c09d9b0c57_o.jpg

24235033566_1986d75697_o.jpg

While the story isn't so great, it hasn't really been great since AC1, so that's fine, but these are my favorite characters since Ezio.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
HDAO uses more performance and SSAO looks better (in my opinion) while MSAA seems to be broken. Runs at a smooth 60fps on a single GTX 970 at 4K DSR. Loving the game so far, the gameplay is so much fun.

204100_2016-01-08_0005sk0u.png

204100_2016-01-08_0000kjbb.png

Anyone know of a freecam/no-HUD mod for this game?

Crysis was so damn ahead of everything else at launch. I wonder if we will ever see anything like it again.

Yep, it sure was. Quite a few gpu's bit the dust when it came out (I think NASA's were ok to run it). OtisInf's screenshots give me the itch to load Crysis up again. I recently got a new notebook and kinda want to see if I can max it out.

I'm pretty sure their Hairworks is off... Haven't played in a bit though so I dunno...

24261148465_c09d9b0c57_o.jpg

While the story isn't so great, it hasn't really been great since AC1, so that's fine, but these are my favorite characters since Ezio.

It's weird how AC Syndicate is piquing my interest. I played AC2 years ago, but I never felt inclined to play any of the games that followed it.

dr_rus

It's weird how AC Syndicate is piquing my interest. I played AC2 years ago, but I never felt inclined to play any of the games that followed it.

Chances are you will be seriously disappointed. As far as I was able to tell the only reason why Syndicate is considered better than Unity is because Arno was French and wasn't a women.

Spazznid

AC 1 was good
AC2 was great
AC2 Brotherhood was fantastic
AC2 Revelations was meh
AC3 was meh/garbage
AC Liberation was ok/insanely slow
AC4 Black Flag was a Pirate game
AC Unity was alright, but glitches and sluggish gameplay
AC Syndicate is the most I've enjoyed playing an AC game since Brotherhood. Tight controls, good performance, ok story so far, awesome main characters, and great soundtrack.

If you want to jump back in, I'd say either replay AC2 and Brotherhood, or try AC Syndicate.

Thanks Free Roaming Chicken!

Vulcano's Assistent: yeah it's breathtaking. there's some fighting but all I want is fly around and look at it all, you have to get out of there but I don't want to go! :)

24147840372_b02ef78e65_o.png

If there is one tiny mod I would reccomend for Crysis (although, you are already quite far in the campaign I can see). Is the mod that allows for anisotropic filtering on textures that use parallax occlusion mapping (which a lot of textures do in that game). It is only like a 400kb file you drop into a directory but it really helps the game look that much better.

Crysis 1 still manages to amaze.

OtisInf

It'd be cool to do a depth map overlay on the background. Like everything in fog is gray scale. Depends on you photoshop fu.

Nah
https://github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/tree/master/ReShade/Shaders/Otis
Use DepthHaze to blur far distance objects (same as DoF in-game but uses better blurring than the low-res blur of the native DoF in the game). Use Emphasize to desaturate objects out of focus, which, with some tweaking, can be used to desaturate far away objects (set the range > 0.6/7 so it fills most of the visible area). Though LOD issues close to the camera are FUBAR, I guess...

Tried to hide LOD with fog. It wasn't very effective.

24260720265_b43043ce34_o.jpg
That LoD doesn't make much sense indeed. the tower right behind the bridge is neared to the camera than the city behind it... What I've noticed is that when you enable freecam and make it look at spots which weren't visible when you enabled it (e.g. behind geralt) it has weird issues with clipping etc. so it might be a good test to place geralt while playing under the bridge arch, out of sight, (so the textures of the tower load), then move the camera backwards.

If there is one tiny mod I would reccomend for Crysis (although, you are already quite far in the campaign I can see). Is the mod that allows for anisotropic filtering on textures that use parallax occlusion mapping (which a lot of textures do in that game). It is only like a 400kb file you drop into a directory but it really helps the game look that much better.
Crysis 1 still manages to amaze.
Will look for it (couldn't find it the first time I looked), as indeed AF is pretty low due to the paralax mapping system they're using. There was a bigger mod which seemed to have this, but forced me to start over which I didnt' want to do. Yeah I'm close to the end, but alas, never hurts :) Thanks!

Filben

HDAO uses more performance and SSAO looks better (in my opinion) while MSAA seems to be broken.
Because HDAO is way more accurate. I think it's legit for some people to like the SSAO more because it adds a litte more depth, but when it comes to accuracy HDAO outperforms SSAO (you have no halo–effects and you won't loose details with HDAO). See here:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/157429
#1 makes lack of AA more visible, #2 showing irregular pattern/artefacts on the ground, #3 showing halo–effect, doesn't really add that much depth but is constantly visible (worse in motion) even if it should not in many scenes (like when there's no wall you lean on). Overall: unfortunately Max Payne 3 offers no satisfying AO solution at all.

As for the MSAA I've seen quite a few games which don't look great with MSAA; even lose details with MSAA enabled like GTA V. Better to use FXAA (or other solutions) with downsampling.

But yes the gameplay is so smooth and flawless. One of the, if not THE best 3rd-shooter-mechanics. High precision controls even with those physics–based animations, no automatic health regeneration (man, this needs a good name or abbreviation), enemies who hit and deal massive damage, great bullet–time implementation.

Assetto Corsa
24185863771_8818a68fc6_o.jpg

Will look for it (couldn't find it the first time I looked), as indeed AF is pretty low due to the paralax mapping system they're using. There was a bigger mod which seemed to have this, but forced me to start over which I didnt' want to do. Yeah I'm close to the end, but alas, never hurts :) Thanks!

I will just upload you one. Here is a download link to the original AF mod (400 kb or something). http://filehorst.de/d/bziFGGsz (wait 15 seconds for it to start)

add the above .pak folder to the "Crysis/Game" directory with all the other .paks there. Then navigate to "Documents/MyGames/Crysis" and delete "ShaderCache.pak".

Load up the game as normal and now you will have AF with POM!

OtisInf

I will just upload you one. Here is a download link to the original AF mod (400 kb or something). http://filehorst.de/d/bziFGGsz (wait 15 seconds for it to start)

add the above .pak folder to the "Crysis/Game" directory with all the other .paks there. Then navigate to "Documents/MyGames/Crysis" and delete "ShaderCache.pak".

Load up the game as normal and now you will have AF with POM!

*sob*... it's 0 bytes. Found it here though: http://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=277&t=79915&start=105#p1123050

Tanke Schon :)

(edit) works like a charm! great mod :)

Seyavesh

okay i feel kinda crazy here but i swear strider has a more cohesive art direction than fo4- something about it feels really, really slick even if it's got weird sf5 clay hair

ZFEb.jpg

YFEb.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
okay i feel kinda crazy here but i swear strider has a more cohesive art direction than fo4- something about it feels really, really slick even if it's got weird sf5 clay hair

ZFEb.jpg

YFEb.jpg

what mod is that you're using to make FO4 look like Borderlands??

Seyavesh

what mod is that you're using to make FO4 look like Borderlands??
no mod, just the 'cel' filter in reshade. it's under 'customFX' but i get the feeling that's just a jumble of whatever the author of the original reshade package i dled for fo4 wanted to use

it looks like ass in motion anyways- the lines show up through ui, 2d effects, fog and whatnot totally clearly so it's a mess even disregarding the part where it outlines heavily every leaf/grass 'blade' so that they look terrible

cGEb.jpg

dGEb.jpg

OtisInf

23905483369_72b1121816_o.png

23645098504_e84ccbaa94_o.png

Proper AF + POM now, thanks to mod. Game is over now, end boss wasn't the nicest, but alas, it's down. Warhead's next, but first a break :)

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Because HDAO is way more accurate. I think it's legit for some people to like the SSAO more because it adds a litte more depth, but when it comes to accuracy HDAO outperforms SSAO (you have no halo–effects and you won't loose details with HDAO). See here:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/157429
#1 makes lack of AA more visible, #2 showing irregular pattern/artefacts on the ground, #3 showing halo–effect, doesn't really add that much depth but is constantly visible (worse in motion) even if it should not in many scenes (like when there's no wall you lean on). Overall: unfortunately Max Payne 3 offers no satisfying AO solution at all.

But yes the gameplay is so smooth and flawless. One of the, if not THE best 3rd-shooter-mechanics. High precision controls even with those physics–based animations, no automatic health regeneration (man, this needs a good name or abbreviation), enemies who hit and deal massive damage, great bullet–time implementation.

I agree, the lack of a decent AO option is annoying - I'm not a fan of the lack of depth with HDAO but the SSAO isn't too great either - it's kind of why I think Far Cry 3 looks a lot worse nowadays, since the grass AO options are horrid and it looks terrible next to the over-bloomed sky. If you turn on AO in that game, there's basically this persisting black goop (meant to be a shadow) that surrounds all the grass and it really does look terrible when you notice it, which isn't hard since the sky is so bright.

Coming back to Max Payne though, the gameplay is so fluid. This game is why a bullet-time is worth it if you know what you're doing with it. The only other games I've seen outside the Max Payne franchise to implement bullet-time really well are F.E.A.R. and Vanquish.

Thanks a lot man!

OtisInf

(Jim's CE table)

Starting my second play through, now on decent hardware (first one was on core2quad and an old ATi card). No depth buffer access, so no need for reshade in this as the game itself looks marvelous by itself thanks to fellow dutch demoscene buddies over at Nixxes.

24276456595_d3fcc7ced1_o.png

24250325316_40db61280d_o.png

Top Bottom