• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 24 Hours of Spa July 29th-30th |OT| Spa Day featuring Hatsune Miku

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
18881974_1478891862131632_2262586316443457736_n.jpeg

It's time for GT racing's most prestigious race on the calendar, the Spa 24 hours. GT3-spec cars from a wide variety of manufacturers compete over 24 hours at one of motorsports great circuits, Spa-Francorchamps. This year's entries comprise of 66 teams composed of drivers from across the globe and with experience in many different racing series. The organizing body SRO will be livestreaming the event on their website. If you are geoblocked, Nissan will be livestreaming the race broadcast on their Nismo TV youtube channel.

When: July 29th 4:30pm GMT+2
Spotter's Guide (What the cars look like):
http://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/images/results/83/SpotterGuideTotal24HoursOfSpa-2.pdf

Livestreams:
Official Site
Alternate Official Dailymotion
Nismo TV

The circuit:
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps 7.004km
Stavelot, Belgium
800px-Spa-Francorchamps_of_Belgium.svg.png

The cars:

Aston Martin V12 GT3
timthumb.php

Audi R8 LMS GT3
timthumb.php

BMW M6 GT3
timthumb.php

Bentley Continental GT3
timthumb.php

Emil Frey Jaguar G3 GT3
timthumb.php

Ferrari 488 GT3
timthumb.php

Lamborghini Huracan GT3
timthumb.php

McLaren 650S GT3
timthumb.php

Mercedes AMG GT3
timthumb.php

Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3
timthumb.php

Porsche 991 GT3 R
timthumb.php

"I was promised Hatsune Miku, you lured me into this thread under false pretenses!"
Alright, here you go:
#00 Good Smile Racing Mercedes AMG
A perennial fan favourite in Japan's Super GT series, Good Smile Racing was invited to this year's Spa 24 hours for the first time. This team is partly funded by fans who purchase various Good Smile Racing merchandise, most notably figurines. Featuring a striking "Racing Miku" livery, this car is hard to miss. Joining the Good Smile Racing regulars of Nobuteru Taniguchi and Tatsuya Kataoka is former F1 driver and current WEC Toyota factory driver, Kamui Kobayashi.
DFkl8nqXUAAKxRt.jpg

DD6jgI7VYAAJ-oi.jpg

FrankCanada97

Kamui Kobayashi wrecked the Hatsune Miku car during qualifying. Mercedes sent Good Smile Racing a new one overnight. They will be starting from pitlane for the race and will have to serve a stop and go penalty. As usual the team is leaning on support from their fans by offering various Good Smile merchandise for sale.

DFxDtdVWAAQRdE7.jpg

Miku was able to make it onto the new car.
DF0G444W0AMm-3c.jpg

Final qualifying for the race starts in 2 and half hours. The top 20 starting postions will be determined in a half hour qualifying shootout.

FrankCanada97

James Colado driving the #55 Kaspersky Motorsport Ferrari 488 GT3 has scored the pole position for the main race.

timthumb.php

Top 12 starting positions:
d4Xw5az.png

TCRS

Banned
oh neat

trying to watch as many 24h races as I can this year. already watched Nurburgring and of course Le Mans.

Kobayashi is everywhere! hopefully he can make up for his bad luck at le mans. also fucking anime..

FrankCanada97

oh neat

trying to watch as many 24h races as I can this year. already watched Nurburgring and of course Le Mans.

Kobayashi is everywhere! hopefully he can make up for his bad luck at le mans. also fucking anime..
His team is starting from pit lane and he is driving the anime car. Guess his bad luck streak continues.

Just 20 minutes until race time.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Black Flag. I'm confused.

EDIT: Ah, the car didn't follow the safety car through pit lane.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wow. Car 14 Black-Flagged. But now allowed back on track (presumably after talking to race control).

"Just got back from work, was the #55 Ferrari leading since the beginning of the race?"

No, the #63 Lamborghini undercut them in the pits, I believe after the first stint and led for a few stints before the Ferrari returned the favor and undercut them in the pits.

FrankCanada97

Martin Haven has taken over the commentary. He's a good commentator, I enjoy listening to him.

I like the coloured lights emanating from behind the grille of some the cars.

The Good Smile Racing car with Kobayashi driving is P29 and 3 laps down. Not too bad starting from last place.

FrankCanada97

Still surreal seeing Matt Simmons in a race on TV. I've raced him at the final gtacademy race. Bit gutting as well.

Wow, you were a GT Academy finalist? Must have been a great experience, still an amazing achievement.

Safety car for a car buried under the tire wall.

FrankCanada97

RIP Racing Miku. That Kobayashi bad luck was too much. The Audi looked like it had something broke and it turned into the #00.

FrankCanada97

I leave for a bit to play some Dota 2 and not only is it raining, but Miku is gone. I assume they crashed out due to the rain?

Nah, this happened a bit before the rain. An Audi lost it braking into the chicane and crashed into the Miku Mercedes. The rain has let up a little bit now.

Nah, this happened a bit before the rain. An Audi lost it braking into the chicane and crashed into the Miku Mercedes. The rain has let up a little bit now.

I should have edited my post because right after I posted it, I saw that you had already said why the #00 was gone. Thanks for answering it though.

FrankCanada97

Pretty long caution period, it must have been a pretty big crash. I'm going to head to bed and hopefully wake up in time to catch the final two hours and the F1 race.

#55 Kaspersky 488 looks to be done for. Contact with a Mercedes appears to have caused steering issues making the Ferrari go off on Eau Rouge.

Top Bottom