• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup | July 7-26 2017 | OT | [Insert pun]

Blue Lou

EmTpNAr.gif

The CONCACAF Gold Cup (also known as the Copa Oro) is a twelve nation international football/soccer competition scheduled to take place 7-26 July 2016.

With the exception of Canada, Mexico and USA, all teams have qualified via regional international tournaments to qualify for the Gold Cup.

United States have been the host for every version of the competition since it's inception in 1991. The competition takes place every two years.

Mexico are reigning champions having won in 2015. This year, the final will take place in Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara.

Unlike other international tournaments, CONCACAF allow six players to be replaced in the overall squad/roster at the quarter final stage.

There have been changes to the competition format, there is no longer a third-place playoff and extra time has been removed from all knock-out rounds with the exception of the final.

Group A
Canada
wwoplG1.jpg

Costa Rica
dUnYeV5.jpg

French Guiana
PQlEdhp.jpg

Honduras
AlMwzmj.jpg

Group B
El Salvador
SLO21tc.jpg

Martinique
9XtJNa5.jpg

Panama
TXva1ol.jpg

United States
pGtgNKg.jpg

Group C
Curacao
LgbeDrk.jpg

Mexico
0fBDWVo.jpg

Nicaragua
SF9ZTsg.jpg

Jamaica
9HXTljv.jpg

Venues:

Match schedule:

For local times, see: http://www.goldcup.org/en/schedule-results#tab_team=rounds

Official site:

http://www.goldcup.org

---
Meta: I couldn't think of anything for the title. I'm open to suggestions.

ZZMitch

Because CONCACAF that's why. The Gold Cuo is their biggest money maker by far. They don't want to cut that revenue.

It should be held every 4 tho.

You are probably right but I like these "off" year ones where you can see how fringe national team players fare. Lots of interesting new faces on the USMNT who are getting their shot

Icolin

Banned
Actually kind of optimistic about Canada at the Gold Cup. We've brought a young squad full of potential, which hasn't been the case for a long time.

Particularly excited to see what Alphonso Davies can do on the international stage
he's 16

I expect us to be one of the third place teams to advance; beat French Guiyana, draw Honduras, and lose by a small enough margin to Costa Rica.

I have no horse in this race. Tempted to back Canada just for the heck of it. How awful are they? :p

New coach, new era, new players, so it's hard to say where Canada's at right now. We drew Scotland away in a friendly earlier this year without Larin and our A team players, which is surprising. From what Zambrano (the coach) has been saying, we're going to play attacking soccer and bring young players into the fold at an earlier stage than previously.

So TLDR; expect many national team debutants, and an effort to actually win instead of parking the bus like we did with Benito Floro as our manager.

You are probably right but I like these "off" year ones where you can see how fringe national team players fare. Lots of interesting new faces on the USMNT who are getting their shot
There are no off years for Gold Cups anymore because now the next two champions play a one game playoff to qualify for the next confederations cup. It used to be so one Gold Cup didn't qualify you and the next one did but now you need to win both or face a playoff with the other winner to qualify.

CONCACAF don't give a damn.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There are no off years for Gold Cups anymore because now the next two champions play a one game playoff to qualify for the next confederations cup. It used to be so one Gold Cup didn't qualify you and the next one did but now you need to win both or face a playoff with the other winner to qualify.

It gives them an extra USA vs Mexico game and that's money in the bank.

Icolin

Banned
LOL Canada getting Honduras and Costa Rica.

US and Mexico getting off easy

Costa Rica is great, but Honduras is meh. I think we can draw them.

Also, the reason we're in a group with Costa Rica and Honduras is because we're a low seed. US and Mexico are top seeds.

Alan Pulido got injured last friendly so Mexico virtually has no natural strikers... I heard the clubs are refusing to release them for this tournament :|

RocknRola

Actually kind of optimistic about Canada at the Gold Cup. We've brought a young squad full of potential, which hasn't been the case for a long time.

Particularly excited to see what Alphonso Davies can do on the international stage
he's 16

I expect us to be one of the third place teams to advance; beat French Guiyana, draw Honduras, and lose by a small enough margin to Costa Rica.

New coach, new era, new players, so it's hard to say where Canada's at right now. We drew Scotland away in a friendly earlier this year without Larin and our A team players, which is surprising. From what Zambrano (the coach) has been saying, we're going to play attacking soccer and bring young players into the fold at an earlier stage than previously.

So TLDR; expect many national team debutants, and an effort to actually win instead of parking the bus like we did with Benito Floro as our manager.

Cool! So Canada it is!

Let's go.....uuuhhh.... beavers? Any nickname for the team? :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Guadeloupe reached the semi-finals in 2007.

10 years ago.

Alan Pulido got injured last friendly so Mexico virtually has no natural strikers... I heard the clubs are refusing to release them for this tournament :|

That's too bad.

It makes sense the clubs wouldn't want to release players for this, Mexico just got done with the Confederation's Cup. Mexico usually brings a B-team to this particular Gold Cup anyway.

This happening every two years, and in the middle of world cup qualifying, is ludicrous. Just a transparent cash grab that degrades the quality of local leagues - but what's new for US Soccer?

I swear if Dempsey wins the golden boot and comes back to us exhausted I'm going to have a hernia.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This happening every two years, and in the middle of world cup qualifying, is ludicrous. Just a transparent cash grab that degrades the quality of local leagues - but what's new for US Soccer?

I swear if Dempsey wins the golden boot and comes back to us exhausted I'm going to have a hernia.

Dempsey hasn't even been called up yet.

ZZMitch

Ah right I forgot about that.

Oozer3993

I'll be at the games in Cleveland. Unfortunately, my boy Darlington Nagbe is not part of the squad, so I can't team up with him to make fun of Justin Morrow for going to our rival high school. Curses!

Peak CONCACAF: Florent Malouda is ineligible for Gold Cup; French Guiana coach insists he will play against Canada regardless

If he does play, like the French Guiana coach says he will, then it *should* be an automatic 3-0 victory for Canada. Which means that this could actually happen. Utterly bizarre.

This would be amazing lol.

Blue Lou

The following substitutions have been approved by the Gold Cup Medical Committee:

COSTA RICA
IN: Juan Pablo Vargas (CS Herediano, CRC)
OUT: Ronald Matarrita (New York City FC, USA)

EL SALVADOR
IN: Edwin Sanchez (CD Aguila, SLV)
OUT: Irvin Herrera (New York Cosmos, USA)

JAMAICA
IN: Shaun Francis (San Jose Earthquakes, USA)
OUT: Dever Orgill (Wolfsberger AC, AUT)

MEXICO
IN: Erick Torres (Houston Dynamo, USA)
OUT: Alan Pulido (Chivas Guadalajara, MEX)

UNITED STATES
IN: Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union, USA)
OUT: Kenny Saief (KAA Gent, BEL)

- SI: Mexico coach Juan Carlos Osorio banned from Gold Cup for insulting referees
ZURICH (AP) – Mexico coach Juan Carlos Osorio has been effectively banned from the Gold Cup by FIFA for insulting match officials.

FIFA banned Osorio for six matches on Friday for his behavior during the Confederations Cup third-place game last Sunday, when Mexico lost to Portugal 2-1.

Mexico will have to play up to six games to retain the Gold Cup in the U.S., starting on Sunday against El Salvador in San Diego.

Osorio was incensed when his team was not awarded a penalty against Portugal.

FIFA said Osorio ''used insulting words towards the match officials while displaying an aggressive attitude towards them.''

If Mexico plays fewer than six games at the Gold Cup, Osorio's suspension will carry over to its next internationals.

Icolin

Banned
Lineups/Starting 11s for Canada vs French Guiana:

Borjan; De Jong, Vitoria, Jakovic, Petrasso; Bernier, Piette, Arfield; Davies, Cavallini, Hoilett

Bench: Crepeau, Leutwiler, Aird, James, Adekugbe, Teibert, Ricketts, Edwards, Kaye, Straith, Jackson-Hamel, Osorio

French Guiana:

No Malouda after all.

Top Bottom