• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

Timu

Just bought a 21:9 25" IPS monitor (Yes I know that's incredibly small for a 21:9 but it's still really fucking rad.) a couple days ago and I'm in love with it.

Here's a few screens from the games i've been playing with it.

Plus the fact that i was coming from a TN monitor makes this thing even more amazing.
Man these pics are really making it tempting for me to buy one.

cantona222

I remember the news that Bioshock was a 4:3 game and they cut off portions from the top & bottom to be 16:9. I think we will get similar "news" nowadays.

Dr Dogg

Well seeing I'm just tinkering with the Dead Space series again I'll just leave these here...

Dead Space
14000443375_d8d7bd269f_o.png

Dead Space 2
14599507575_b7e58956ed_o.png

Dead Space 3
14413085447_25801b91a1_o.png

Caayn

Just got my LG 29EA73 today, it's the first time that I spend so much money on a single monitor(not counting my TV :p). No regrets! I come from an eyefinity set-up but I'm liking one 21:9 screen so much more.
I remember the news that Bioshock was a 4:3 game and they cut off portions from the top & bottom to be 16:9. I think we will get similar "news" nowadays.
Bioshock looks fine to me.

4:3
16:9
21:9

Caayn

Thanks.

Using Flawless Widescreen results in the crosshair and other UI elements to appear a couple centimeter to the left of where the game thinks they are.

udiie

hey guys quick question;
ive got the option to pickup the LG 29UM65 but i'm very hesistant to input lag being an issue; anyone got any experience with this one they'd like to share regarding response time/input lag?

shoooshoo

Neo Member
I have had my 34UM95 for 3 weeks now, and its awesome. I was using a 20 and 23" side by side for mainly work purposes, and this replaced them. the look and feel of the monitor in terms of manufacturing is good quality, there is no plastic border around the monitor, the black edge you see is park of the screen, although the picture doesnt extend to it. There is a small plastic strip on the bottom where the LG logo sits on, its nice it is very slim, but too bad its plastic you can see the usual warp, would have been awesome if its glass like the apple ones. That reminds me i was going to get an Apple screen, so glad i got this instead, the aspect ratio is so good for so many things.

It's really advantageous to use this ratio in Diablo 3 because you can actually see much farther. Sometimes it felt like cheating. Way more enjoyable than 16:9.

I actually have a 2560x1440 monitor, but I have custom resolutions for 21:9. It's a 27" monitor so I really don't mind letter boxing. A lot of games are just more enjoyable in that ratio.

robgrab

I can see Treasure Goblins and Elites before they see me. VERY useful. Plus I like having the HUD elements not crowding the screen.

I can see Treasure Goblins and Elites before they see me. VERY useful. Plus I like having the HUD elements not crowding the screen.

Yeah, I posted about this in the D3 thread a while back basically saying the same thing :)

Also, using my 3840x1620 resolution is amazing. It's letterboxed, but I can see MUCH farther away as it zooms you out a bit. I see elites just standing around off-screen and I can snipe them before they even get close. Also pushes the UI farther away from the center, so I'm not clicking on my minimap nearly as much trying to attack

A few quick snaps attempting to show how much you can see and the range you can fire.

14041414332_83c62e5db9_o.jpg

These enemies could not see me.

14045054864_46fd985f2c_o.jpg

But yeah... must not play that game again. Ever...

robgrab

How did you get it to run at that resolution? I can play plenty of other games at that resolution using either driver based downnsampling or GeDoSaTo but I haven't been able to get D3 to run at that res.

I'm also using the HBAO+ flag for D3 which is a major improvement in image quality.

gillty

Banned
Just impulse bought a MX299Q, at $480 CAD tax included a little pricier than the LG 29" monitor, but the better stand and speakers in addition to the better performance gravitated to me.

639999djs7.png

Looking forward to upgrade from this Viewsonic 20" 1680x1050 which has lasted a lifetime.

Toreal

So tempted to buy a 21:9 monitor after testing the custom resolutions on my current monitor. That immersion!
I am used to gaming on a IPS panel so the input lag doesn't bother me that much, but I hate stuttering and tearing.
So I was wondering if there is any chance of seeing a 21:9 monitor with gsync anytime soon?

Caayn

Bit dissapointed that streaming videos on youtube/facebook for example don't support 21:9, so you'll get black bars on all sides of a video if it is 21:9.

Late edit:

MMmmhhh, looks like it was just the way those video where rendered. Nvm.

MRORANGE

Great news!

AOC 34" 3440x1440: RRP £499

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwa...n=Feed:+bit-tech/news+(bit-tech.net+News+Feed)

Apparently uses the same panel as the LG 34"

wnNDA3Q.jpg

Unlike older 21:9 monitors, the u3477Pqu has a resolution of 3,440 x 1,440, meaning it sits between a 2,560 x 1,600 display and 4K in terms of pixel count - 4.95 million pixels to be excact, spread over a panoramic 8-bit +FRC display.

A pixel response time of 5ms isn't up to TN standards and the 60Hz refresh rate isn't going to do anything for hard core gamers or 144Hz screen fans (if that's you you'd be wise to check out our recent gaming monitor roundup), but it's likely to fare well with most gamers and movies should look pretty spectacular too.

Furthermore, AOC equips the 34in monitor with four USB ports, two each of USB 2 and USB 3, while there are also DisplayPort, DVI and HDMI inputs and a stand that appears to be fully adjustable too.

doing some googling and it shows that dota 2 is straight up broken in 21:9

how easy would it be to display "broken" games in a resolution they want?

is there any 29 or bigger screens with 1 ms response time?

Das_Blarthole

Neo Member
I have the AOC q2963pm 2560x1080 monitor - bought it about 4 months ago and am very happy with it. As a tip in Flawless Widescreen and Widescreen Fixer, they sometime work better if you override display settings to say that you have 2 monitors (flawless will thick you've got 2 1280x1080 monitors. I haven't yet got Mass Effect 3 working properly, but some tinkering with Widescreen fixer made ME2 work okay, so I'll persist and see what I can get going in ME3.

2560 is great for Skyrim when combined with a reasonable ENB.

I'm not versed too well in the arcane sorcery required for crafting my own ENB, but here's some samples of what Ive got running.

Skyrim 1

Skyrim 2

Skyrim 3

Skyrim 4

Mass Effect 2 - 1

Mass Effect 2 - 2

And this one is using mixed mode eyefinity with a 21:9 and 16:9

But now you're showing the 3440x1440 monitors at reasonable prices, I can see me upgrading my monitor, but not sure if my 3Gb 7950 can take it

rotekz

Neo Member
The two things holding me back relate to support for variable refresh rates with vsync on:

1. No displayport version 1.2a so no access to AMD's freesync. (Now a VESA standard)
2. No Nvidia Gsync support.

I'll kick myself if a model with those features launches a few months later.

So I got the 34um95.

Crysis 3 looks incredible. How is divinity original sin on this ratio?

Any other games that really show off its potential?

Rafterman

Banned

This is one of my favorite things about this aspect ratio. I hate UIs in general so anything that either gets rid of them or moves them further from the center of the screen is a plus.

Just impulse bought a MX299Q, at $480 CAD tax included a little pricier than the LG 29" monitor, but the better stand and speakers in addition to the better performance gravitated to me.

This is the one I bought and I'm still loving it. I thought I would miss my 120hz monitor more but I really haven't even thought about going back to it. I have my MX overclocked to 85hz atm, so the higher (than 60) refresh and the bonus screen width trump the 120hz monitor IMO. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I think once Amazon gets the 34um95 in stock, at a normal price, I'll end up picking it up.

I actually like that just announced AOC more, but I think the lack of Thunderbolt is going to cause issues with my 13" Retina MacBook Pro.

ScRYeD

I cannot wait till that AOC 34" comes out here in Australia. $1300 fo a LG 34um95 is a bit much for PC monitor, i might as well get a 50" plus TV instead. Hopefully it will be priced decently and i will pick one up.

Then maybe i'll be able to enjoy this a hell of a lot better.

14570087909_7dea52ccb8_h.jpg

Currently using a 27" 1080p monitor with a 3440x1440 custom resolution :(
How about the um65 with a custom resolution any downsides?

I have a gtx 670 and i7 930 3.5

I don't have much issue playing games at a steady framerate.

What kinds of games do you primarily play? In really worried about dota 2 and lol not displaying correctly

How often do you run into resolution issues and simply run games in a more normal resolution with black bars?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wouldn't mind letterboxing my traditional monitor to get this effect.... it's so nice.

Top Bottom