• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

Caayn

17372370653327392768_ejsmx.png

17372370653327392768_ags5a.png

desu

In Germany the 34UC97 is listed for 1099€ on amazon.de now, some shops have listed it for early October.

Well, just pulled the trigger on a 29" 21:9 monitor, specifically the LG that has been linked here already. UM65

I'm trying a really unorthodox setup, using it as the center screen between 2 24" 16:10 screens, supposedly AMD supports such configuration by giving the 16:10 screens black bars to match the center screen vertical res.

I not sure if it will work in games, haven't found anyone online with such a set up, in theory it will just be a 6400*1080 screen for games, im really hoping it works, worse case is that I have to use it by itself for gaming or selling it to go back to my current triple screen setup.

Super afraid that this crazy setup wasnt going to work but after some tinkering and the new AMD Beta drivers I got it to work.

Basically a 21:9 monitor in the middle and 2 * 16:10 monitors on the sides.

The 21:9 is 2560 by 1080 while the 16:10 are 1920 by 1200, so the drivers add black bars to the 16:10 monitors, perfect solution, very happy that it worked, I was very nervous that it wouldnt. Only tried Dark Souls 2, hopefully other games handle it this good.

Aestheticaly it doesnt look as good as my previous setup where I had all 3 monitors of the same make/model, but im super happy to have the bezels as far as possible with the 21:9 monitor.

20140910_214555zwjp7.jpg

20140910_214730mmjc9.jpg

desu

In case there are people still waiting for the AOC screen, I saw this post on overclockers.co.uk

Having spoken to one of my AOC contacts yesterday over a nice Weissbier, it seems that things aren't quite finalised. An October release is likely, possibly mid-October, with an expected street price of £549 or so. A curved variant is also in the works but I can't confirm anything more about that publically.

Awesome format, I'd love to tap into this someday. Anybody got anything running on Dolphin while using 21:9?

I haven't tried for 21:9, but I did experiment with triple screen using the video plug-ins wide screen hack that will render whatever ratio your resolution is. So it should be possible.

Some pics

4692252284_856000d58d_b.jpg

4692275434_d9c256ba62_b.jpg

ayob

i really want a 21:9 or 4k monitor. i cant decide which is better yet. Ive been using 1920x1080 @ 144hz for 2 years now and i realized that without dropping settings or keep upgrading hardware its pretty tough to go over 80 frames on games so ive been thinking of getting a different monitor for a different experience. The curved 21:9 1440p lg is very tempting....

BLunted

Banned
Yeah, I was just saying in the PC screenshot thread, I got the LG29EA93 back in April and I love it! No way I can go back to a 16:9 display now. Now I want to get a 21:9 tv.

it may sound stupid but is there any way to force 21:9 on a 16:9 tv? so i could play with black bars if i had the need to do that.

edit: ok, i should have read the op more carefully, easy as pie. But is there any chance to force just the games to be 21:9. looks a bit weird in desktop mode

SerTapTap

The Cowboy

it may sound stupid but is there any way to force 21:9 on a 16:9 tv? so i could play with black bars if i had the need to do that.
On Nvidia cards its quite easy, just create a custom resolution that is 21x9 (for example 2560x1080), then set the desktop size and position options to keep aspect ratio and tick the override the scaling mode set by games and programs setting (some games will squish your image if you don't set this - at least on my monitor they do) and that's it.

I have 2560x1080 setup for my monitor for the more cinematic games (Alien Isolation for example), it does help that I'm on a 32" 16x9 monitor though so even with the bars i have quite a large viewing area.

I've been planning a monitor upgrade for a while and had been waiting to see how g-sync would pan out but after seeing these screen shots I'm thinking about just getting one of these instead. I also do a lot of photo editing, and productivity (Excel etc) and even though I have two monitors now, having one giant screen for certain tasks seems even better.

Wounded

I got mine yesterday. The curve isn't noticeable when you're sitting front on which I think is a good thing. It looks flat, whereas from what I've seen of the flat version it looks to curve away at the edges because of how big it is.

Wounded

For games that don't work at 21:9, what is the best alternative? Obviously 1080 is massively stretched unless I set it no scale. Is there a good alternative, perhaps a black bars version or something?

Cheers.

Actually went into a Frys of all places and they had the LG 34UM95 in stock, so I impulse bought.

My God.

It's pretty glorious.

Moving from an nvidia surround 5760x1080 setup to this I was worried about losing screen space but ditching the separation between the screens more than make up for it, as does the 1440 resolution.

Feels like being in the future.

mr stroke

So after a bit of use, and using both the flat and curved versions, I love this monitor. Curved >flat for ultrawide

comparison

LG 34UM95 (flat)

mHzgU2ql.jpg

VS-

LG 34UC97 (curved)

wClTAjgl.jpg

BL Pre Sequel-
TNH8lOkl.jpg

Curve from top-

IdaJ4IXl.jpg

+

+Picture quality is fantastic(near identical to flat version)
+Curve is very slight and almost unnoticeable but yet very immersive
+Stand is perfect height, and much improved aesthetically over the flat version
+Back light bleed/IPS glow is minimal(near identical to flat version)
+No heavy grain matte finish

-

-No VESA mounting or adapter(at least not in my order)
-No G-sync
-60hz
-No height adjustable stand(only tilt)
-Could be slightly bigger at 37" with a 4k ultrawide res

So is it worth the $300 premium over the flat version?-YES, the curve really does surround your field of vision since you are sitting so close to the monitor, FPS and Driving games make the world of difference. Even with out the high refresh rate, this is currently my favorite monitor to use, will never go back to multi-monitor again.

what kind of refresh does it have over HDMI? I still play consoles on my monitors so I want to make sure those will work properly as well.

What a beaut. That top down picture, hnng.

I'm still rolling strong with my 29" LG. Yes, of course I wish it were higher rez and curved, but my enthusiasm for the form factor hasn't diminished. I am able to get 70hz out of it too which helps, if only small amount.

Actually went into a Frys of all places and they had the LG 34UM95 in stock, so I impulse bought.

My God.

It's pretty glorious.

Moving from an nvidia surround 5760x1080 setup to this I was worried about losing screen space but ditching the separation between the screens more than make up for it, as does the 1440 resolution.

Feels like being in the future.

Why not both? since you already had 3 displays, keep your external displays.

Sorry for the shitty pic, Its Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Center is a 21:9 screen, outside screens are 16:10, glorious.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That would be perfect if it was a 60" but alas
Btw you guys with 3 screens don't break between each screen bother you?

That would be perfect if it was a 60" but alas
Btw you guys with 3 screens don't break between each screen bother you?

A little bit before, but ever since moving to a 21:9 center screen, not at all, the gaps are so far from the middle that you dont even notice them, you just become "surrounded" by the game, its pretty cool, its almost like that ambilight technology but way better, the side monitors graphics are so distorted that you dont even pay attention to them anyways. I honestly cant go back, I get so excited every time I get to play games on it.

desu

Seems the AOC 21:9 might not be coming out this year after all ... what a fucking mess.

I can only accept any and all abuse that comes our way!, it is very unfortunate that we found an issue in production and we are starting all over again.

I guess we would rather provide a 100% working product than ship an in demand product we knew was below par....even if it doesn mean 10-12 week delay

Let the abuse commence! but be gentle or I might cry as it is very sad news already!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27092161&postcount=205

Confirmed on twitter as well: https://twitter.com/aoc_monitors/status/524932458861838336

forrest

formerly nacire
I've been using this Dell 2100FP since 2003 when I built my first PC. It was quite expensive then, but is still going strong to this day and I've been hesitant to upgrade throughout the various tech jumps in monitors over the years. Looking at 34" 21:9 displays, I think the time has come. They just simply look gorgeous! I was all set to really look into the g-sync displays, but I may be upgrading sooner than later and if someone doesn't put g-sync in this form factor soon, I'll likely be moving forward without it for now.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Dell 34" curved display that has been announced? I don't mind not buying Dell, but my current monitor has been so good to me over the years, I'd feel like a fool not looking at their options when making a decision. I found some info on the model, but no pricing. Just that it's slated for Dec. availability.

desu

Has anyone seen any official pricing for Dell's U3415W? Word is it's being released soon but I can't find much on it.

Not me, its been announced for ages. Then its suddenly curved, yet barely shown anywhere and then I keep seeing people mentioning that it will be released soon. Kind of weird overall.

forrest

formerly nacire
Has anyone seen any official pricing for Dell's U3415W? Word is it's being released soon but I can't find much on it.

Me either. Since my last post, I've been trying to find any pricing info at all, but no luck. I'm guessing it's going to be priced at $1500+ but that's just a gut feeling. My biggest disappointment is that it doesn't look like the DisplayPort will be 1.2a, but only 1.2. Hopefully that changes, but I'm not hopeful with it being so close to release.

Top Bottom