• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

That kind of format works wonders for 3rd person games. But having it on first person is too jarring since no way a that kind POV is realistic unless you're that alien from ET. Shame about it's limitations though but if I do get tired of first person games, this is definitely a setup I'm comfortable with than 4K

Finally saw the LG 34um95 in person @ Microcenter. Luckily for me they were out of stock or I'd pick one up while the wife was around.

Close call.

That said anyone got the smaller version, the 29um65? I know that it's a lower resolution but it's also 400 bucks cheaper to boot.

Auskeek

I feel like everyone here is going to scoff at my inferior LG 25UM65, but I picked it up yesterday on a whim and I love it!

I don't usually game a lot on my PC, but with this monitor I'm tempted to!

zGE0lZ7.jpg

Hopey

Yeah the smaller sizes 29 and 25 are still pretty good, if you the larger ones dont fit your budget, the smaller ones are exactly the same, except the resolution and thats it.

Calmine

Anyone know if Aoc will produce a 34" 2560x1080 model like Lg? 34" is a good size to me but after some thought 3440x1440 is too high resolution for my benefit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone know if Aoc will produce a 34" 2560x1080 model like Lg? 34" is a good size to me but after some thought 3440x1440 is too high resolution for my benefit.
Calk their CS. Love my AOC IPS. Would consider the upgrade in the future.

Human_me

See, and this is why we can't have nice things.

The mass market doesn't know what nice is even when it slaps them in the face.

I used to work at a electronics department that had these in stock. They were not priced competitively at all.
But during CES2014 both Samsung and LG showed off 21:9 TV's.
So they might make a come back one day.
Personally I think we just need more content to show these babies off.

sbgwieser

Neo Member
If you played with a monitor who has 120 Hz or 144 Hz and blacklight with blur reduction you don´t want anything else. May be the view looks good, but when you play with 120 Hz or 144 Hz everything looks so smooth.

Looks like the Dell will be around $1200.00 according to a post from a guy at Dell World in Austin. I'll post a link later.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1522940/dell-world-2014-dell-34-curved-ultrawide-and-dell-5k-monitors

Eh. Hopefully that drives the price of LG's model down. I don't think both can co-exist on the market at the same time and around the same price tag.

Here's to hoping.

Ugh one bad joke after the next, but either this person has a million dollars or he works for a corporation that supplies it to him for me.

It's Linus, he gets sent shit to review and play with all the time.

Jealous but can't hate.....

GOD DAMN!

aa987bcd734aae3123cb6daba58a0540.png

forrest

formerly nacire
Eh. Hopefully that drives the price of LG's model down. I don't think both can co-exist on the market at the same time and around the same price tag.

Here's to hoping.

I don't know much about LG's, but I do know I always love that Dell puts out solid stands with all of the adjustments. I also love the no frills aesthetics. If the Display Port turns out to be 1.2a then it's a done deal for me and I'll be looking to pick one up asap.

I don't know much about LG's, but I do know I always love that Dell puts out solid stands with all of the adjustments. I also love the no frills aesthetics. If the Display Port turns out to be 1.2a then it's a done deal for me and I'll be looking to pick one up asap.

If it comes out next year then I'll wait til tax time or my bonus and treat myself. Yeah if it has 1.2a then it's worth it.

Though I'm still torn from moving to a single widescreen from 2x 27 inch 2560x1440's. I do want that 21:9 and my desk real estate back however.

Eh, I give up. With Warlords of Draenor dropping this week and Far Cry 4 / Dragon Age: I next week, I'm just going to pull the trigger.

However I'm a bit lost, hopefully the GAF Fam can help. So I'm looking at 4 monitors;

LG 34UM95 - $999
LG 34UM94 - $945
LG 34UM65
LG 29UM65 - $499

The both the LG 34UM65 and LG 29UM65 are limited to a 2560x1080 resolution but the LG 34UM94 and LG 34UM95 are sitting at 3440 x 1440. Can't decide if the price difference justifies the 300-400 difference in pricing. I got the hardware to drive the 3440 x 1440 with a GTX 970 and my trusty OC'd 3570@ 4.4GHz. Are there any main differences between the LG 34UM95 and 34UM95? I didn't see any major variations.

Need to decide and soon if I want one of these babies by friday.. and before the wife finds out ;)

elelunicy

Eh, I give up. With Warlords of Draenor dropping this week and Far Cry 4 / Dragon Age: I next week, I'm just going to pull the trigger.

However I'm a bit lost, hopefully the GAF Fam can help. So I'm looking at 4 monitors;

LG 34UM95 - $999
LG 34UM94 - $945
LG 34UM65
LG 29UM65 - $499

The both the LG 34UM65 and LG 29UM65 are limited to a 2560x1080 resolution but the LG 34UM94 and LG 34UM95 are sitting at 3440 x 1440. Can't decide if the price difference justifies the 300-400 difference in pricing. I got the hardware to drive the 3440 x 1440 with a GTX 970 and my trusty OC'd 3570@ 4.4GHz.

Need to decide and soon if I want one of these babies by friday.. and before the wife finds out ;)

Depending on if you just use it for gaming or if you also use it for other stuff. Going from 1080p to 1440p is barely an improvement for gaming, but a world of difference for productivity.

Depending on if you just use it for gaming or if you also use it for other stuff. Going from 1080p to 1440p is barely an improvement for gaming, but a world of difference for productivity.

I'd be coming from two 27 inch 2560x1440 monitors and I do a lot of coding and system from here. But I also do a lot of PC gaming and movie watching as well.

BLunted

Banned
I got the 29 inch LG version, I love the widescreen but I wish there was a way to fix some of the hud issues with some games.

Its great for WoW though

I was going to suggest flawless widescreen, as I use it to fix Skyrim's HUD, so it stands to reasom it might fix other games as well, but it has been down for about a week now.

The guy who made the app says he hasnt abandoned it, but just bogged down in real life and should be back up in the near future.

forrest

formerly nacire
Link to a PDF Manual for Dell's U3415W.

Couldn't find anywhere in the manual where it says what standard the DisplayPort is. I just skimmed it for the most part though. I've found other sources stating DisplayPort 1.2 though. Would they specify 1.2a instead of just listing it as 1.2? I'm guessing at this point it will just be 1.2 :(

*edit - looking more into the user manual I see where you can set the DP to 1.2 or 1.1a so I guess that's that.

Ettie

Is the actual monitor size of the LG3440x1440 and the 2560x1080 the same? The hardforum user tests of the AOC panel say there is no FOV difference between the two settings on the same monitor. If I can have 95% of the 21:9 experience for a much lower horsepower/$$ cost, that might be the way to go. But, if the 2560x1080 panels are physically smaller, that's no good. Maybe the best bet would be to buy the 3440 panel and play at the lower res until I get a machine that can crank out the higher one.

gillty

Banned
Well this is a first for my 21:9 experience, MGS Ground Zeroes has an interesting implementation of our favourite aspect ratio. Looks like it just crops the respective 16:9 resolution leaving vertical field of view and UI elements to be lost in the abyss.

Similar to how games first did widescreen way back, I've never seen a game that with the UI however.

Human_me

Well this is a first for my 21:9 experience, MGS Ground Zeroes has an interesting implementation of our favourite aspect ratio. Looks like it just crops the respective 16:9 resolution leaving vertical field of view and UI elements to be lost in the abyss.

Similar to how games first did widescreen way back, I've never seen a game that with the UI however.

Pics?

jambo

I would really love one of these, but as I don't watch any movies on my PC any more, I feel like it wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade. Only way it would work is if I can get a decent amount for my current monitor.

Current 16:10 is green, 21:9 would be purple

Z5i7L7n.png

desu

Arkanius

This looks way better than a 4K upgrade brings.
Gosh, I'm absolutely salivating...

I'm just afraid that this path will be lost against the 4K frenzy is coming. More pixels is fun but Downsampling gives us the benefits (in gaming), and it's still achievable in this aspect ratio.

Top Bottom