• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

Genio88

This monitor are great, i'd like one but i've got my PC and consoles on the same TV so it would be good for my PC(even if some game would have problem too, but consoles wouldn't support its resolution, and i'd get black bars, i guess i'll stick with my 16:9.
Of course it's great for movies too, but i already have a Sony HMZ-T1 which i prefer for watching movies, so...

elelunicy

Really wish someone would make a 21:9 monitor at a higher resolution. 1440p is barely an improvement over 1080p for gaming and it's just way too low in 2015. A 5160x2160 monitor would be perfect.

Faith

Really wish someone would make a 21:9 monitor at a higher resolution. 1440p is barely an improvement over 1080p for gaming and it's just way too low in 2015. A 5160x2160 monitor would be perfect.
And which GPU gets you 60fps or even more (with Gsync) at 5K? Is there even a cable with enough bandwidth?

Arkanius

1440p isn't that low to be honest, and already requires a good GPU output to get stable 60FPS on High.

Just ordered a (used) 34UM95 on Amazon. I think my GPU is going to struggle until I crossfire it, but I'm still fucking psyched. I almost talked myself into a UM65, but I knew I'd regret not having the extra vertical pixels.

Candeez

Some more shots of the Dell U3415W:

Bioshock Infinite

F6F80962-7E98-4E62-B2C6-EFA0DC29E8EB.jpg~original

Destiny in PiP. www.destinylfg.com on top, planetdestiny.com and GAF to the right

BDCF6C54-09C7-4E86-8197-4CA739B973A2.jpg~original

kanuuna

How does 2D (or something like Diablo III where the camera is relatively static) feel with the curve? Not having had the experience with one makes me think it's best suited for first person stuff.

Ettie

Yessssss. Acer et. al getting into the market means competition and that is great for everyone who wants these to cost less than a nice TV!

So glad to see these things taking off a little bit.

G.Newell

Has anyone used or seen any reviews for the Samsung 34 Inch SE34E790C? I'm looking to get a ultrawide monitor and was planning on the Dell 34 Inch U3415W but where i was planning on getting it has had there shipment delayed so i was thinking of making the switch as the few previews i read stated it would be compatible with freesync.

One more thing is i saw in the difference that the Samsung monitor is VA instead of IPS, is that worse or something i should be concerned about?

SmartBase

Has anyone used or seen any reviews for the Samsung 34 Inch SE34E790C? I'm looking to get a ultrawide monitor and was planning on the Dell 34 Inch U3415W but where i was planning on getting it has had there shipment delayed so i was thinking of making the switch as the few previews i read stated it would be compatible with freesync.

One more thing is i saw in the difference that the Samsung monitor is VA instead of IPS, is that worse or something i should be concerned about?

You'll definitely be happier with VA, no IPS glow and the black levels are much better.

Bobb

I really want to pick up one of these ultrawide monitors.
I am stuck between these two.

LG 34UM95
Pro: Has 3440x1440p
Con: Costs more. ($999 at Amazon.ca)

LG 34UM67
Pro: Has AMD's freesync
Con: Only 2560x1080 and not released yet.

Which one should I get?

kanuuna

I got another last week LG 34UM95-P, hoping that it would not have suffered from backlight bleed quite as significantly. I didn't snap any pics, but it was only slightly better. Both monitors I tried were from November 2014 according to the plate in the back.

Now I received the Dell U3415W. I can't say this was tons better than the two flat LGs I had, but I feel like I'm out of options. The curved LG is way out of my price range, and to the best of my knowledge, both curved monitors use the same panel. Best I could do would be to gamble by sending this one back and getting the same monitor from somewhere else for a slightly more expensive or cheaper (from elsewhere in Europe) price and see if that turns out better or worse. But honestly, ignoring that, I'm really impressed with this Dell. While it doesn't look as pretty as the LG, the ergonomic adjustments on the monitor are really good, and the curve (something I really, really wasn't sure about) is incredibly striking. I haven't been able to play much of anything (I should be getting my new PC later in the week - meanwhile my GTX 590 is spitting out 3440x1440 @ 30hz via HDMI), but even running around on an empty map in CS:GO feels really different.

I might ring Dell and ask about the bleeding, but I have a feeling they won't give much of a hoot about it. My situtiation looks similar to that of this guy found on reddit.
Here's a few to shit quality pictures of the light bleeding on my monitor unedited, taken with an iPhone.

I got another last week LG 34UM95-P, hoping that it would not have suffered from backlight bleed quite as significantly. I didn't snap any pics, but it was only slightly better. Both monitors I tried were from November 2014 according to the plate in the back.

Now I received the Dell U3415W. I can't say this was tons better than the two flat LGs I had, but I feel like I'm out of options. The curved LG is way out of my price range, and to the best of my knowledge, both curved monitors use the same panel. Best I could do would be to gamble by sending this one back and getting the same monitor from somewhere else for a slightly more expensive or cheaper (from elsewhere in Europe) price and see if that turns out better or worse. But honestly, ignoring that, I'm really impressed with this Dell. While it doesn't look as pretty as the LG, the ergonomic adjustments on the monitor are really good, and the curve (something I really, really wasn't sure about) is incredibly striking. I haven't been able to play much of anything (I should be getting my new PC later in the week - meanwhile my GTX 590 is spitting out 3440x1440 @ 30hz via HDMI), but even running around on an empty map in CS:GO feels really different.

I might ring Dell and ask about the bleeding, but I have a feeling they won't give much of a hoot about it. My situtiation looks similar to that of this guy found on reddit.
Here's a few to shit quality pictures of the light bleeding on my monitor unedited, taken with an iPhone.

My LG has the same issue :(, im just tryint to live with it for now, it sucks but I dont really notice it in games unless the scene is pitch black.

Water

It seems that to fit the display properly in the picture, you took the pics from a bit farther back, not from the focal point of the curve where you should be sitting?
Subjectively, does the edge bleed problem get any better when you go closer to the normal use distance? It seems like it might, since the display edges are then at right angles to you.

kanuuna

It seems that to fit the display properly in the picture, you took the pics from a bit farther back, not from the focal point of the curve where you should be sitting?
Subjectively, does the edge bleed problem get any better when you go closer to the normal use distance? It seems like it might, since the display edges are then at right angles to you.

You're right, the pictures were taken a bit farther back. However, I find it to be about as visible from where I normally sit.
Applying very slight pressure with two fingers in the corners where the bleeding appears, cloth in hand seemed to alleviate the problem which makes me think it's fixable to some degree. However, that would be Dell's job. Tinkering any further on my would most likely void my warranty.

My 34UM95 has some pretty bad light bleed in one corner that I reckon is from the panel being squeezed by the case., but I rarely notice it, and am too fed up with returns to try and do anything about it anyway.

So I am like this close to pulling the trigger on the LG 34UM95 on Amazon for 800ish but after reading about all the new ones coming out very soon in this thread, would it just be better to wait it out? I don't want to go through an endless loop of wait and see of course, but it seems like these newer monitors might be out this month/early next month at similar price points. :x

Additionally, would two 670 GTX 4GB cards be able to push this monitor at 60fps without sacrificing the quality of graphics in recent/upcoming games?

Yiorgos

Any risk of using flawless widescreen and being banned by VAC on steam? Searched around but did not find anything concrete. Any thoughts? thanks

Human_me

Any risk of using flawless widescreen and being banned by VAC on steam? Searched around but did not find anything concrete. Any thoughts? thanks

I've used flawless widescreen for nearly a year now, I haven't been banned yet.
I don't remember hearing any one getting banned for using flawless widescreen.
That being said, there is always a risk when changing game code.
But as far as I'm aware its never happened.

D-VoN

I've been using it for over a year and haven't had any VAC issues.

Overall, I'm torn on my 21:9 monitor. While games are much more immersive with it, I find it a real inconvenience when no fix is available or when I have to manually tinker with the game's ini to config. I've thought about switching back to a standard 16:9, for convenience sake.

robgrab

Overall, I'm torn on my 21:9 monitor. While games are much more immersive with it, I find it a real inconvenience when no fix is available or when I have to manually tinker with the game's ini to config. I've thought about switching back to a standard 16:9, for convenience sake.

I hear ya. As much as I love my 21:9 monitor for gaming it's often frustrating getting certain games to work, especially older games that originally used a 4:3 aspect ratio. BUT when it DOES WORK it's amazing and makes it all worth it. One area where the 21:9 aspect ratio particularly excels is in games that fill the screen with lots of HUD elements by pushing them to the corners of the screen rather than inhibiting your main view. Diablo 3 is a good example of this.

Now when I go back and play games in 16:9 it feels downright claustrophobic. The good news is most new games being released have native support for 21:9 and wider out of the box. Plus there are a bunch of 21:9 monitors being released now whereas when I bought mine there were only two on the market (that I know of). So it's finally becoming relatively "mainstream." The downside of going back to a 16:9 monitor is you'll lose the ability to play games in 21:9 whereas you can still play games in 16:9 on a 21:9 (albeit with black bars on the sides).

I've had enough positive experiences overall to where I would wholeheartedly recommend a 21:9 monitor and my next monitor will most definitely be 21:9. Now I'm just waiting for the next iteration of G-Sync (or whatever becomes the standard), along with display port 1.4a, wider color gamut, IPS, etc...

kiriin

The only real review of SE34E790C is in Korean. The measurements are there, you don't need to understand Korean to look at color space,black and gamma levels or panel uniformity values.

Different panel technology both come with inherent advantage/disadvantage. Neither are better. Both LG/Dell panels has the glowing/tinting problem characterstic of IPS with the blacklight bleeding. VA panels tends to suffer from less wide viewing angles hence gamma shifts.

I would recommend doing more research via TFTcentral or Hardforum before dropping $1k~ because there isnt a perfect 21:9 monitor. Although personal preference, I would take the S34E790C only because I know what exactly what Im getting out of it.

Anyone here got one of these 34" monitors hooked up to an Apple machine? I'm after a monitor for my 2011 11" MacBook Air for general PC use. I was considering a 27-30" but these 34" machines look awesome.

doomquake

was glad you can do this on an lg monitor. it automatically resizes and crops the screen.

this screenshot is from someone else. I also tried Last of Us and it is quite good (not too much is cut off)

Y8LsssS.jpg

Ceej

Just got a U3415W. I'm a little bit torn by it. I'm coming from a Dell U2410 16:10, so it is a little jarring to have the lack of vertical space and coming from a wide-gamut monitor the color and contrast here feels like a very slight downgrade, but I enjoy the non-grainy antiglare coating that was a big distraction on the U2410 and the LED vs. CFL makes for a much better white. The higher res does make HD content feel less sharp, but 4k vids look amazing (if only there were more). That plus the worse contrast makes me less likely to watch 21:9 content on here as I'd originally hoped. The IPS glow/BLB doesn't feel a whole lot worse than my U2410, maybe I'm just used to it. It seems much less laggy than my U2410 when using game mode, but more so when not. Also can't watch Interstellar in full screen using VUDU because of an HDCP error, my Nvidia card says a repeater is attached (not true) so HDCP Isn't working. Tried a different displayport cable, didn't help.

Biggest upgrade factor here is wow do games look amazing! This was my first time trying Star Citizen (Free week)... I used to be a huge X-Wing fan back in the day so this was an experience.

IS THIS REAL LIFE?

rBCUQYb.jpg

desu

Just posted!

I don't know what kind of screen setup you currently have and what you'll be doing with it. But imho the small 21:9 screens are waaaay too small. I wanted a 21:9 screen for years but not until the 34" versions I was more or less satisfied with their size.

Top Bottom