• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

desu

I think this might be my next monitor:

Samsung SE790C

3440x1440, VA panel, 3000:1 contrast ratio, 4ms response time. Drool.

Why are all these companies including such horrible stands for their monitors? The only ones with ok/decent stands are Dell/AOC. The LG and especially the Samsung stands are just atrocious =/.

Ettie

This looks way better than a 4K upgrade brings.
Gosh, I'm absolutely salivating...

I'm just afraid that this path will be lost against the 4K frenzy is coming. More pixels is fun but Downsampling gives us the benefits (in gaming), and it's still achievable in this aspect ratio.

I feel the same way. I hope 21:9 remains available for those that wish to use it.

Arukado

I feel like everyone here is going to scoff at my inferior LG 25UM65, but I picked it up yesterday on a whim and I love it!

I don't usually game a lot on my PC, but with this monitor I'm tempted to!
That is my exact same monitor, and i'm currently playing castlevania lords of shadows 2 on it.
clos22014-12-2601-31-s5syd.png
So good.

wickfut

Banned
I wish someone would sell a 60"+ 21:9 gaming TV

The 55" Philips 21:9 TV only supports 1920x1080 via the HDMI socket

Lazaro

Got a curved LG 34UC97 a month ago. For $1300 AUD I'm very happy with it.
lg-curved-monitor.jpg

Using Dolphin and PPSSPP on this thing is amazing.

Configuring games to work at 21:9 is annoying though, but the monitor is perfect productivity wise. I'm snapping a lot more apps in Windows 8 now because of the screen real estate.

Haroon

Got a curved LG 34UC97 a month ago. For $1300 AUD I'm very happy with it.
lg-curved-monitor.jpg

Using Dolphin and PPSSPP on this thing is amazing.

Configuring games to work at 21:9 is annoying though, but the monitor is perfect productivity wise. I'm snapping a lot more apps in Windows 8 now because of the screen real estate.

Please tell me your ways of configuring the games. Sources :).

Lazaro

Please tell me your ways of configuring the games. Sources :).

Read everything mentioned in the OP :p

Flawless Widescreen is a must have program for 21:9 users. You can get that here: https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

Some games include Console Commands which usually allow users to use custom resolutions beyond what's available in the games Graphics settings.

You can access the console in-game usually by pressing "~" on the keyboard.

Just find out what engine (Unreal, CryEngine, Source Engine etc.) your game is running on and search what console commands are available for that engine.

I don't know what else to mention as I'm new to the glorious world of 21:9 monitors. I just use Google/Bing to find these fixes :p

I thought it's open for all cards?

Adaptive sync is. Freesync is AMD's use of the standard for variable sync gaming.

Adaptive sync = the GSync module

Freesync = the part of GSync that lives in Nvidia's driver and talks to the GSync module

It's Nvidia's choice whether they want to support variable sync gaming on non-GSync monitors. Being "open to all cards" doesn't mean much in the end, sadly.

Human_me

Isn't the point of freesync that it's a Vesa standard and every card should work?

That's the idea, but I believe nvidia still needs to do something to their drivers to support it.
I would imagine there will be someone who will make it possible through a hack.

desu

Is anyone actually drawing/modeling on a curved screen? Sounds kind of horrible, but seeing as every new announced screen is curved now I am kind of worried ...

Digby

Neo Member
Damn this thread to hell.

I was really holding out till VR consumer level stuff was released before upgrading my 4 year old machine. But now I'm interested in the LG 34UM95. Do you need at least a GTX 980 to run current games with decent detail at this monitors resolution? That's expensive!

Those that have it, can you comment on what card you're running, games you play and what fps you're getting?

Crisium

Use the half empty approach, not half full. Sure 3440x1440 is more than twice as many pixels at 1920x1080. But good news! It's like 40% less than 4k!

Water

Why are all these companies including such horrible stands for their monitors? The only ones with ok/decent stands are Dell/AOC. The LG and especially the Samsung stands are just atrocious =/.

That new Samsung stand has both height and tilt adjustment, how bad can it be? Plus, since it has VESA mount (which looks like it probably won't require buying a separate kit either, unlike LG models apparently...) you can put it on an arm. For displays in this price class the cost of an arm isn't a big deal, and you should eventually buy one anyway if you're a stickler for display ergonomics. I already have an Ergotron MX standing by.

Toreal

Has anyone gotten/seen the Asus 29" monitor?

Was looking into buying it, but there honestly isn't many reviews on it.

That is one of the monitors I am also looking at, according to this review it is good for gaming.
It also compares some of the other monitors mentioned in this thread, giving the nods to the LG 29EA73-P as the best gaming monitor.

I am a sucker for looks so I may end up with the ASUS MX299Q, I will be using it for programming, Photoshop and gaming.
I will be upgrading from a old dell 2007wfp 1680:1050 monitor, so I think most of the 29 21:9 monitors will blow my socks off

Candeez

Just got the Dell U3415W, previously had the LG 34 inch 21:9 (non-curved). Didn't like the LG because it didn't have a PIP option, and a screen this wide and close needs to be curved for better viewing. First impressions is that the Dell is much better than the LG, here's a couple pics, including an example of PIP:

IMG_2863.jpg~original

IMG_2862.jpg~original

Will post more screens as I get more games up and running...

kanuuna

LG 34 inch 21:9 (non-curved). Didn't like the LG because it didn't have a PIP option

The 34UM95? I thought I had seen an image of that thing with split screen or something. That Dell looks neat, though.
I just received the LG 34UM95-P myself. I can't really use it to the best of it's capability before my new PC arrives since my GTX 590 doesn't have DP output, but that didn't stop me from seeing what's up with it. I can only get 30hz out of my HDMI-DVI cable setup, but it's enough to see what's up with the resolution, and more importantly check for any issues. Turns out my set has some pretty bad light bleeding, from the bottom in particular. I'll probably be sending this one out tomorrow. Hopefully whatever I might get in return isn't as bad.

I will say this; Ultra-Wide QHD feels damn weird after such a long time of primarily using traditional 1080p displays. In such a good way.

Candeez

The LG 34UM95-P was my previous monitor, it has Picture By Picture only, no Picture In Picture. The Dell has both. And I also had backlight bleed issues with the LG panel, haven't tested the Dell in full yet but if it has bleed it's less apparent because of the curved screen.

Nzyme32

Just got the Dell U3415W, previously had the LG 34 inch 21:9 (non-curved). Didn't like the LG because it didn't have a PIP option, and a screen this wide and close needs to be curved for better viewing. First impressions is that the Dell is much better than the LG, here's a couple pics, including an example of PIP:

IMG_2863.jpg~original

IMG_2862.jpg~original

Will post more screens as I get more games up and running...

I said. god. damn.

One day I'll get one, one day.

What is the curved monitor to get at this point? I'm an Nvidia user so freesync is irrelevant at the moment. They all seem to hover in the 1200 dollar range right?

I should be satisfied with a Rog Swift, but those photos are making me drool. Of course I'll order one and a gsync model will be announced days later. They just seem so neat!

kanuuna

Called LG Finland on my 34UM95-P case. I was told that there's really nothing wrong with the backlight bleed on my unit based on the images at 0 and 50 brightness with full black screen that I sent them. No exchanges.

ip0Jr1pHp8C3Z.jpg

ibibUan807WxBZ.jpg

I guess I'll have to try my luck with the Dell.

Top Bottom