• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

What kinds of games do you primarily play? In really worried about dota 2 and lol not displaying correctly

How often do you run into resolution issues and simply run games in a more normal resolution with black bars?

Dota 2 is tricky since the game will display at full resolution but the UI will not scale. You can google Dota 2 21:9 and see plenty of pics of the issue.

Can't speak about LOL.

I play mostly everything. FPSs are very friendly, for the most part, to 21:9. Most of the issues I encounter are mostly UI.

For example, RE4 plays beautifully on 21:9, but the menus are kinda jacked. Not deal breaker jacked, but they look funny. Text doesn't align and stuff.. Also be prepared to use flawless widescreen.

Caayn

Final Fantasy XIV
ffxiv_28072014_135130ldrnx.png

Skyrim (vanilla)

The Order 1886 will be so good on this, damn I want the 34" LG, that Linus video hyped me up. Any screens from emulators? I have money to spend on a new monitor in a few months and really wanted the ROG Swift, not so sure anymore. :/ Maybe I'll buy both eventually.
Unless the PS4 gets the ability to output at 21:9 you'll get black bars on all four sides with a game such as the Order 1886. Not exactly a great experience.

The Order 1886 will be so good on this, damn I want the 34" LG, that Linus video hyped me up. Any screens from emulators? I have money to spend on a new monitor in a few months and really wanted the ROG Swift, not so sure anymore. :/ Maybe I'll buy both eventually.

thuway

Most 21:9 monitors should have options that automatically crop images. With projectors you just need to zoom out.

The image will probably be softer and a little more aliased depending on the scaler. If you don't scale it you'd end up with large borders on all four sides.

Caayn

You'd see upscaling artifacts if you scale/crop the Order 1886 on a 21:9 display, if you've got a 2560*1080 monitor. Similar to displaying 720p on a 1080p monitor. Aliasing would become much worse if you have a higher end 21:9 monitor.

gillty

Banned
This is the one I bought and I'm still loving it. I thought I would miss my 120hz monitor more but I really haven't even thought about going back to it. I have my MX overclocked to 85hz atm, so the higher (than 60) refresh and the bonus screen width trump the 120hz monitor IMO. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Not at all, I'm totally in love. Every time I turn it on I've got a grin. Not sure I'll over clock it as I'm driving it with a GTX760 as its in a mini-itx chassis.

edit: my comfy couch setup :)

Sarcasm

Def buy this as a comfy couch thing. But if it were to go on my desk..I would have to double up on desks to be back enough heh.

Arkadios

Not at all, I'm totally in love. Every time I turn it on I've got a grin. Not sure I'll over clock it as I'm driving it with a GTX760 as its in a mini-itx chassis.

edit: my comfy couch setup :)

I was wondering if 29' would be enough vertical real state for me, 34' might take forever to get in my country and I don't want to import. But this pic convinced me to try a 29'.

luffeN

I will soon connect my computer to my 21:9 LG monitor! Can't wait to play Darksiders 2 and NFS HP.

I was wondering if 29' would be enough vertical real state for me, 34' might take forever to get in my country and I don't want to import. But this pic convinced me to try a 29'.

It is close to a 24 inch 16:9 monitor.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
if only we can use this with PS4

is there any 21:9 with a high refresh rate?

For ultrawide screen monitor, since your eye viewing angle is larger, these monitor has to be IPS panel. Else, the color will be washed out on the side when using a TN panel

IPS panel is limited to 60hz and a fairly average lag around 18-20 ms. So, chances are unless IPS panel can mature even further, you will be stuck with 60hz for 21:9 monitor unless you opted for those curved monitor.

ScRYeD

Well i folded and bought a 34um65-p instead of the um95, or the AOC monitor that's coming out soon.
LOVING IT!!!!!!!!!!
14599573227_411750bfe8_o.jpg

MRORANGE

Rumors of a Phillips 3440x1440 are running around, shown next month at IFA.

AOC 34" should release later this month hopefully.

Still have no word from LG when my sample monitor is coming..........

Tenki

I've seen the LG 25UM65-P UltraWide 25" IPS for 225€, which I think it's a fair price, but I don't know if it's going to be too small, giving it's 21:9. It's 2560 x 1080.

http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-25UM65-P

UqTv3kn.jpg

Now I have a 22" 1080p monitor, so would this new one be a downgrade from what I have? I would also use it to work (probably with UE4) and watch movies in addition to play games.

bee

curved one looks quite nice, need a second monitor to go with the rog swift, can see it being very expensive though

20140818180019024xpuu2.jpg

Dr Dogg

Ok that curved LG screen isn't helping my monitor fetish one bit. There still isn't the perfect monitor ticks all my boxes (well maybe when OLED screens come waaaay down in price) but as much as I'm digging my new found love of AMVA panels I can't use anything but an IPS for work. I wonder if there's any significant colour shift or change change in panel uniformity with a curved screen? That bezel though is almost non existent.

Sky Chief

What the fuck!? I love my 34UM95 and have said only the inevitable curved version would be better but I thought that would be at least a year away.

Milamber

Ok that curved LG screen isn't helping my monitor fetish one bit. There still isn't the perfect monitor ticks all my boxes (well maybe when OLED screens come waaaay down in price) but as much as I'm digging my new found love of AMVA panels I can't use anything but an IPS for work. I wonder if there's any significant colour shift or change change in panel uniformity with a curved screen? That bezel though is almost non existent.

While the bezel is tiny, It is still disappointing to see the 1 cm or so of black border inside the screen itself when you turn it on.

Ettie

I so, soooo hope this becomes even pseudo-mainstream. Horsepower wise, how far off are we on single GPUs being able to push this at a decent framerate?

Genio88

Damn! i'd really like to buy a 34 inch 21:9 monitor but i can't, cause i would use it with both my PC, Xbox One and even a likely future PS4, so i would get black bars on consoles...Do you think there will ever be a way to play on PS4 and One in 21:9?

Calmine

Damn! i'd really like to buy a 34 inch 21:9 monitor but i can't, cause i would use it with both my PC, Xbox One and even a likely future PS4, so i would get black bars on consoles...Do you think there will ever be a way to play on PS4 and One in 21:9?

Been asked before and answer is no neither consoles output 21:9 the only possible way is if the monitor supports scaling and a force 21:9 mode.

DOWN

Banned
The only thing I don't get is that in the opening GIF, it shows 21:9 adding more image to the sides of a 16:9 image. Isn't is possible for a 16:9 image to contain the full 21:9 image, simply depending on FOV? My guess would be, however, that for most games the 21:9 would simply be like giving more view from the camera as it was already showing things, and in those cases the GIF would be correct.

Top Bottom