• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

236pg Hardcover Homeworld Artbook Announced (Out Now)

Book is now up for order on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0985902248/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Listed under "See all Buying Options". The book's publisher is selling them directly (still has free Amazon shipping).

And here's what Gearbox had to say about other regions.
Note that these art books will also be coming to Amazon Canada, United Kingdom, and Japan soon!

Was bumming around on Amazon when I saw this, a full sized hardcover artbook for Homeworld.

Some goggling lead to the gearbox forum (can only open the Google cache of the page - either a private forum or the page was deleted) where someone on Gearbox's staff posted the following.

I'm not an authority on what has been previously released but the Blackbird guys mailed us a big box of the original sketches that I don't think anybody has ever seen. I think Burleson went and had them scanned and a bunch of it made it into the book. There's also a fair amount of development stories and commentary done just for this book.

Is this the same book that's in the CE?
Not at all.

Awesome! Cole, is there any way we could get a ballpark MSRP? Or is that still being discussed?
That's not something I am privy to, sorry. I've only seen some of it in PDF format, I imagine that paper grade and size and initial printing numbers all factor into that I and I don't know about any of those things.

Glad I didn't end up ordering the limited edition of the remaster, this book right there is all I wanted.

DocSeuss

Surprised and disappointed this isn't in the CE. A model ship's cool and all, but the included artbook is tiny considering the price. And a keychain + game code (seriously, no soundtrack, not even digital?) is kinda crap.

Surprised and disappointed this isn't in the CE. A model ship's cool and all, but the included artbook is tiny considering the price. And a keychain + game code (seriously, no soundtrack, not even digital?) is kinda crap.

Yeah the packaging on the CE looks great but the content inside it is a bit sparse from what I've seen.

For folk unfamiliar with the art from Homeworld Kotaku put up an article highlighting some of what is available online a couple years ago.

17eg5s2tkxtizjpg.jpg

17eg5t6abhpwojpg.jpg

17eg5ubpx1d7mjpg.jpg

Portman

Hmmm, I can't seem to find any hint of the book on the publisher's website although I'm not sure if it is the right place. I was able to find the book on Amazon.com to go along with the Amazon.ca listing so that is a good sign that it will get a large scale release at least.

As if I didn't love collecting art books enough already when it is based on my favorite video game of all time I am super excited to own one of these. Heck, I might buy 2 just to keep one sealed in whatever shrink wrap will be on it.

So is it the art of the remasters or the originals?

The info from that Gearbox employee paints, at the very least, the book as artwork and developer commentary from the original games. Doesn't exclude the possibility of remaster works being included and with that page count I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recent work made it into the book.

shandy706

Wait, did I miss out on this that quickly????!!

Or has it not gone up for order yet....?!

(scrolls back up)

Edit** Ok, so not to print yet?

It's the reality of production costs. The hardcover artbook could be anywhere in the $30-50 range.

How much higher could the MSRP of the collector's edition be pushed?

DBT85

Yeah I remember hearing about this in one of the newer videos of them palying the game. I'm down for it and I've got the CE arriving tomorrow. My first CE and what looks like a remaster for the ages.

vazel

Banned
This is weird. The artbook was released with no official release announcement from Gearbox. Bluecanvas is the publisher of the book and selling it as a 3rd-party seller on Amazon.

Only 17 copies left when I ordered mine. I'm hoping this is just to gauge interest for a larger second printing.

epmode

This is weird. The artbook was released with no official release announcement from Gearbox. Bluecanvas is the publisher of the book and selling it as a 3rd-party seller on Amazon.

Only 17 copies left when I ordered mine. I'm hoping this is just to gauge interest for a larger second printing.
Yeah, that's pretty strange.

Well, it's Prime so I figure Amazon will cover me if something goes wrong. Thanks for the heads up.

vazel

Banned
It looks like Bluecanvas did this with The Art of Journey too. A small initial printing and then a larger second printing later on. It's probably just to gauge interest like I originally guessed.

Lime

I'm so glad I subscribed to this thread. I ordered it just in case with now 9 left after my order.

Will the second printing be cheaper and/or be released worldwide?

Lime

I'm so happy that they removed the limitation of stock! Very great for everyone who might have missed out right now.

Portman

Just got mine!

Tons of nice art in this. Two bad phone camera shots :)

Sweet, you saved me from posting a photo of it tomorrow which gives me more time to stare at it. Thanks for the quick peeks too, going to make the wait until the end of tomorrow harder.

shandy706

Sweet, you saved me from posting a photo of it tomorrow which gives me more time to stare at it. Thanks for the quick peeks too, going to make the wait until the end of tomorrow harder.

Haha

There are some nice little info pieces, stories, and some interviews. I just had time to skim through. Looks good. I'll dive in once the kids knock out. :)

Elandyll

Banned
I wanted to sincerely thank the OP for letting us know about this art book being available. Received mine on Thursday, and it is a gorgeous book with a ton of illustrations. For me it is quite literally Starship pron, and as a big fan of Homeworld I couldn't be happier with the product.

I wish I could say the delivery was without incidents though, but for some reason the person in charge of delivering for Amazon thought it'd be a great idea to let the package on the damp area near our front door all day (it had been raining quite a bit the previous day).

Arriving at the end of the day, I could see right away that the cardboard had been deformed by humidity.
My hope: that the shrink wrap packaging of the book was hermetic and had protected the content.

No such luck, humidity had indeed permeated inside, and appeared to have already discolored partially the book cover slip, the thick cover of the book itself was humid, and the back of the book was strained with humidity and what was probably glue (it is also binded via thread I believe) gave out a little bit.

After two days of drying up, it is "mostly" intact and will be ok to read, but it'll never look like new, with some pages (mostly the white ones front and back) are slightly warped by the humidity/ drying up.

I filed a report on the delivery with Amazon along with pictures, but I won't expect much given that it seems to be a limited first edition that is out of stock.

Oh well. At least I have it? :)

4H0KDNT.jpg

TMVcxLO.jpg

BK0JM14.jpg

vazel

Banned
Fucking Bluecanvas sent me The Art of The Order 1886 instead of The Art of Homeworld. Filed for a return with Amazon. Now I'm going to have to wait for the next printing. :(

Apparently The Art of The Order 1886 hasn't been officially released yet. Maybe I can sell it on eBay for lots of money.
hmm.gif

Fucking Bluecanvas sent me The Art of The Order 1886 instead of The Art of Homeworld. Filed for a return with Amazon. Now I'm going to have to wait for the next printing. :(

Apparently The Art of The Order 1886 hasn't been officially released yet. Maybe I can sell it on eBay for lots of money.
hmm.gif

That is what you should be doing.

Fake edit: And posting pics online.

vazel

Banned
Gearbox just announced at PAX that they will be putting up a survey to see how many people want the art book, that way they know how many to print.

Heard back from Bluepoint. While the book won't be available in Canada the same day as it is in the States it should be available a couple weeks later.

Giolon

Here's what I had to say about this book in the HWR thread:
I just got my Art of Homeworld book and holy smokes it's awesome. If you are a fan of the art style and the ship design of Homeworld, you owe it to yourself to get this book. It's printed on heavy weight, matte paper that's almost like index card stock. There's interviews and comments on the designs throughout.

I think this is going to go up there as one of my top video game artbooks, along with Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive.

Gearbox confirmed on their forums today that there will be more printings, so keep your eyes open for them to return to stock/pre-order status on Amazon.

It really is fantastic quality and content.

Top Bottom