• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

Vally

Where's that?

Here in the comments

Saw a friend of mine this past weekend who is in “the business,” He told me that he very recently had a meeting with someone who has been involved with 24. I will refrain from stating his/her name other than to say that every fan of the show would immediately know who it is. The meeting that took place had nothing to do with 24. However, this individual did tell my friend that 24 will return as another 12 hour mini series. Very exciting news.

My buddy was proposing a project to so-and-so, and was told that much of his schedule is up in the air, partly because 24 is returning for another 12 hour mini-season. My buddy was not told as to when, where or who would be involved, because none of this is, as of yet, known.

Rich!

Just a quick comment regarding Kiefer Sutherland and those reports of him apparently being an ass on set

The latest episode of QI had a bit where the conversation ended up on the topic of 24. Stephen Fry (who hosts qi) remarked that Kiefer was one of the nicest guys he's ever worked with, everyone on the set loved him, and that he supported everyone in the crew.

So yeah

Servbot24

Banned
Kiefer just seems like a polarizing guy to work with. You love him or you hate him.

On board for S10 but only if Tony is featured. :) And let's end everything permanently this season just because 10 is a nice round number. :p

Rich!

So this was a weird dream last night

I dreamt I was watching a trailer for S10. I tend to remember all my dreams quite vividly, so here's a summary:

- two FBI agents in a room looking at a map on a wall, lots of paperwork, reports, etc. One of the agents is William Fichtner (?)

- they talk about trying to locate this group, flashbacks of thefts and break-ins at various government outposts. I saw clips of gunfire, shadowy figures involved. They're on the run.

- they get info on a current location on them, and move out

- scene changes to a large van driving through a highway at night. The camera focuses on the people in the back one by one, their faces illuminated by streetlights. They are Chloe, Kate Morgan, Aaron pierce and Morgan Freeman. In the passenger seat is Belcheck. You see him preparing Russian ID. He says "its all ready" and the camera pans to the driver, Tony Almeida and the music goes crazy like heavy metal shit and he nods and says "were coming for you, Jack"

Yeah just thought I would share that. And no, I'm not sure where Morgan Freeman came from.

Rich!

Morgan Freeman lol

I'd totally watch that

He would be there purely to take over the intro narration from Kiefer and to do interrogations in the typical Morgan freeman voice.

"Now we all know there comes a point in each of our lives where you look at yourself and the only thing that comes to mind is that we are running out of time. Now, we wouldn't want that now would we?"

That's him interrogating a terrorist hiding a nuke

I would totally watch a Morgan Freeman led 24, as long as he doesn't turn out to be one of those fuddy duddy CTU leaders that over rules the "right" course of action that gets results.

Fevaweva

I love me some 24, but I feel it is one of those programs I will never ever re-watch because the seasons are so goddamn long.

I love me some 24, but I feel it is one of those programs I will never ever re-watch because the seasons are so goddamn long.

I was so addicted to the show at one point I watched the seasons multiple times a year (3-5 times). It didn't get old, I was on the edge of my seat and loved it.

I didn't get into it until season 4 started, I actually marathoned seasons 1 - 3 in the month before. Watched them again after season 4 concluded, then season 4 when it came out on dvd in Australia.

I also developed a weird episode watching pattern from season 5 onwards, I would watch each episode weekly, then after 4 episodes I would start watching them back to back to build to the next episode (did this quite often, intended to only do it with 4 8 12 16 20 and 24, but wound up marathoning the episodes constantly).

Bishop89

Never watched 24.
Is it worth grabbing and marathon watching?

yes
giphy.gif

dLMN8R

Maybe season 1 and season 5, but the others aren't really worth the time.

I used to be a 24 fanatic, but then I was introduced to shows that are actually good like The Shield, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and countless others.

So basically.....don't bother spending your time watching 24 unless you've already watched every other good TV show out there.

I used to be a 24 fanatic, but then I was introduced to shows that are actually good like The Shield, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and countless others.

So basically.....don't bother spending your time watching 24 unless you've already watched every other good TV show out there.

This is false. If you're a TV snob, maybe, but if you want a great show that's a ton of fun, watch 24.

Rich!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

iuIHEYL49nJjj.gif

jb1234

On an objective level, those shows are probably better but to be honest, I'd rather watch 24. It's just fun! The Wire gives me a headache.

Rich!

Saying 24 isn't a good show is just fucking wrong.

Terrible elitist opinion. 24 is fucking fantastic fun throughout. Apart from Kim. And season 6.

Its the television equivalent of something like Die Hard 1-3. Over the top, ridiculous but damn fucking enjoyable to the end. And Season 9 was probably the most enjoyable of the lot. Brilliant relentless Bauer action.

Comparing 24 to something like The Wire or Game of Thrones is crazy. Completely different genres, styles and formats. That's like saying "well, I used to like Die Hard but then I saw Breathless by Jean-Luc Godard and my eyes were opened!" Nah, bollocks.

eyeless

finally watched this, what fucking bullshit

the killing of renee in season 8 was one of the fucking lamest contrived angering piece of shit moments in any show i've seen, i thought alright they can finally fucking end this, renee's the best love interest jack's had, give jack a break and put this shit to rest, that's enough, jack has had enough, let it end, but nah

now this shit, even worse and more pointless than before, just so they can drag out the show even longer

it was an uninspired season as it is, was hoping the reason it came back was they had some inspired ideas and a good way to end it (heard audrey was back so figured they were going to end it with them together), but it was just passable 24, felt like the weakest season, though i haven't watched 6,7, or 8 recently (i don't remember most stuff but i remember stuff like the guy from slumdog millionaire, the bomb and jack killing curtis, ctu invasion and milo getting killed, i liked renee a lot, was jack hanging a guy with a chain in one of those seasons? all of those things were cool and this season really lacked any great moments, so even though those were weaker seasons they still had some good stuff so that's what i'm basing my opinion on)

the jack going ham with anger after losing his love that they've already done 63 times but better was corny and the cutting off the head with the sword was just kinda ridiculous, not badass, in fact a lot of the choices they made for jack's personality to make him more edgy seemed off this season, throwing catelyn out of the window, saying something like 'wake the bitch up' or something, probably some other stuff i don't remember

anyway i like 24 and until the terrible pointless bring back audrey to kill her i would've just thought 'eh that was 24 alright, i like 24, coulda been better but i enjoyed it fine', but i can't believe they did this shit again, why can't they just end this show

renee in s8 was one of the infuriating choices i've ever seen in a show, i never posted my thoughts about it on the internet for people who don't care back then, so this has been therapeutic for me, man i was annoyed as fuck, now they did the same shit, the writers of this show are junk

anyway if there is another season i'll watch it of course, 24 when it's great is great, was there at the first season as a youngin, but man i wish they hadn't dragged out the ending. and man oh man, how could a room of writers actually say 'hey you know that thing we've done before every four episodes where jack's love dies and he gets mad and kills heckof people, let's do it again people will love it!!'

if they decide next season or ever to let jack have some kind of happy ending where he has a house and his life isn't constant torture and tragedy and he has a dog maybe i would like it if they brought back jack's only love interest that wasn't brutally murdered, the australian lady from season 2, i always liked her although apparently some people didn't, she was my favorite love interest until renee, so yeah maybe they could bring her back and have her mauled to death and ripped to pieces by a wild bear in front of jack's eyes

Wiktor

Lol..trying to sneak in Game of Thrones between godtier level shows :D

foxtrot3d

Banned
finally watched this, what fucking bullshit

the killing of renee in season 8 was one of the fucking lamest contrived angering piece of shit moments in any show i've seen, i thought alright they can finally fucking end this, renee's the best love interest jack's had, give jack a break and put this shit to rest, that's enough, jack has had enough, let it end, but nah

now this shit, even worse and more pointless than before, just so they can drag out the show even longer

You just stated every single one of my problems with this last season of 24. Absolutely horrible all the way through, nothing but a laundry list of regurgitated plot points. If this is the "new" 24 then it should just stay dead.

Saying 24 isn't a good show is just fucking wrong.

Terrible elitist opinion. 24 is fucking fantastic fun throughout. Apart from Kim. And season 6.

Its the television equivalent of something like Die Hard 1-3. Over the top, ridiculous but damn fucking enjoyable to the end. And Season 9 was probably the most enjoyable of the lot. Brilliant relentless Bauer action.

Comparing 24 to something like The Wire or Game of Thrones is crazy. Completely different genres, styles and formats. That's like saying "well, I used to like Die Hard but then I saw Breathless by Jean-Luc Godard and my eyes were opened!" Nah, bollocks.

It's okay, man, you're allowed to have a different opinion than other people.

I think the latest season of 24 is a welcome return to form. I expected the worse since I didn't really like Season 7 overall and thought Season 8 was okay, except for the Renee stuff.

123rl

Absolutely. After she goes, it directly sets up a run of episodes that is easily amongst the best in the show's history. I'm probably in the minority here as I like all of series 8 but for 6-8 episodes, 24 s8 was absolute God-tier television

I think the thing that never made the Renee stuff truly stick for me is firstly the weird about-face her character does (I'm a by the book agent! Always by the book!! // But no lol I was undercover for a while and did a lot of fucked up maverick shit I was just keeping it buttoned up last season) and the fact that Jack is driven so wild even though they aren't actually together. Or rather, they're getting together. He had a life at the start of that Season, with a granddaughter and Kim and her new man and all that. Sure, he wanted to bring Renee into that life, but was she worth throwing it all away for, considering they hadn't even been together between S7 and 8?

I think the thing that never made the Renee stuff truly stick for me is firstly the weird about-face her character does (I'm a by the book agent! Always by the book!! // But no lol I was undercover for a while and did a lot of fucked up maverick shit I was just keeping it buttoned up last season) and the fact that Jack is driven so wild even though they aren't actually together. Or rather, they're getting together. He had a life at the start of that Season, with a granddaughter and Kim and her new man and all that. Sure, he wanted to bring Renee into that life, but was she worth throwing it all away for, considering they hadn't even been together between S7 and 8?

Basically. Renee was a terribly written character but she was awesome and her death made for some of the sickest stuff in all of 24.

Jack and Renee basically knew each other for 36 hours and that's it. So it was a little goofy...but then again, it was the same with Jack and Bill. They only ever saw each other on screen but acted like super best friends.

The moral of the story is that because of 24's format, it's very very easily to find inconsistencies and flaws. That's why if you just go into it to have fun and for the action and twists you'll have one hell of a time.

Jack's seen a lot of people killed, and he's killed a lot of people. If someone who's even remotely close to him dies, it's going to affect him. He can't be happy and he won't ever be happy.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Basically. Renee was a terribly written character but she was awesome and her death made for some of the sickest stuff in all of 24.

Jack and Renee basically knew each other for 36 hours and that's it. So it was a little goofy...but then again, it was the same with Jack and Bill. They only ever saw each other on screen but acted like super best friends.

The moral of the story is that because of 24's format, it's very very easily to find inconsistencies and flaws. That's why if you just go into it to have fun and for the action and twists you'll have one hell of a time.

I disagree I thought she was pretty well written and hated the fact that they killed her. But LOL, at your other point, you're fucking right when you think about it. Assuming Jack never interacted with Bill until they met in the show that means then that their total interactions are as followed:

-S4 is where I believe Bill shows up and even then it's like half into the day. At the end of the day Jack fakes his death without Bill's knowledge and goes into hiding.
-S5 Jack comes back from the dead, interacts with Bill either in-face or on the phone the whole day.
-S6 Jack comes back from Chinese captivity interacts with Bill pretty much the whole day.
-S7 Jack works with FBI interacts with Bill for maybe a quarter of the day, Bill is killed.

All total that means that Jack has known and interacted with Bill for approximately 3 days total give or take a few hours. Now, its not far fetched to develop a deep friendship with someone you've only known for a day, especially if you spend the whole day with them with you both saving each others life. But, as a viewer you feel like the relationship is longer when in fact it can be counted in days on one hand.

I disagree I thought she was pretty well written and hated the fact that they killed her. But LOL, at your other point, you're fucking right when you think about it. Assuming Jack never interacted with Bill until they met in the show that means then that their total interactions are as followed:

-S4 is where I believe Bill shows up and even then it's like half into the day. At the end of the day Jack fakes his death without Bill's knowledge and goes into hiding.
-S5 Jack comes back from the dead, interacts with Bill either in-face or on the phone the whole day.
-S6 Jack comes back from Chinese captivity interacts with Bill pretty much the whole day.
-S7 Jack works with FBI interacts with Bill for maybe a quarter of the day, Bill is killed.

All total that means that Jack has known and interacted with Bill for approximately 3 days total give or take a few hours. Now, its not far fetched to develop a deep friendship with someone you've only known for a day, especially if you spend the whole day with them with you both saving each others life. But, as a viewer you feel like the relationship is longer when in fact it can be counted in days on one hand.

Well, there's also the fact that there's years in between Jack and Bill's interactions. It was 18 months between seasons 4 and 5, about the same between 5 and 6. 7 was like, three years after season 6.

As for the Renee thing, the problem with her character was that she started out as more of a preaching "24 if fiction...nobody actually does anything like this or goes over the line to protect innocent people" in character form. I think that obsession with trying to get that message out got in the way of what was really interesting...the straight shooter by the book agent who meets this guy who's a legend for saving millions of lives but has done some nasty shit to get there.

But then they throw that entire idea out the window in season 8 when she comes in all leather jacket and we find out that BEFORE we saw straight shooting by the book Renee, she was deep under cover with the Russian mob doing all sorts of nasty shit. It just made no sense. Almost laughable.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Finally finished LAD yesterday, and while it was good old 24, i'm a little annoyed that they killed Audrey just for Jack to, once again, lose a loved one (isn't that like the 3rd of 4th time it happened? Damn it Jack, what did you do to deserve this?) Especially when they took the time to fake Heller's death.
Audrey didn't have to die... poor Heller... His speech at the end was heartbreaking, what a shitty disease. :(

It was good to see Tony back in Solitary, although the whole "hidden prison break plan in glasses" was a bit too much. :p

Vally

RIP Alberta :(

Btw FOX Upfront presentation is on May 11, hopefully we'll get the official season 10 announcement on that day

Top Bottom