• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

liquidtmd

Banned
I know some shows go on with new leads, and I usually give them a shot but 24...is special to me.

Kiefer was the show, crazyness and all. Even in the humdrums of Season 6 he kept me watching. ANY other show with a Season like Season 6 of 24 I would have bailed on but he kept me interested.

I like Season 7 / 8 and loved LAD.

I don't think they could really do it without Kiefer in some capacity. I can live with no Chloe, but there's got to be some Tony.

And Kate Morgan !.

New Team should be:

Kate
Chloe
Belcheck
Tony

Something happens in the season , relates to Russians , break Jack out then thats the end of the season of the entire show and this will be a full 24 episode season to go out in style.

Newlove

I thinking if they cast a new lead, they could bring him in kind of like Agent Locke in Halo 5. Have him hunt down Bauer to bring him back. It would need to be a hell of an actor to have the same kind of badass gravatas of Sutherland, and the same range. Never say never but I see a low chance of them nailing it.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I love Jack/Kiefer but I hate the fact that the series is so TIED to him. The real time thriller concept of 24 is too good to let it live and die based off one actor. I hope they figure something out if Kiefer isn't involved. I would be ALL IN for a Tony season.

I love Jack/Kiefer but I hate the fact that the series is so TIED to him. The real time thriller concept of 24 is too good to let it live and die based off one actor. I hope they figure something out if Kiefer isn't involved. I would be ALL IN for a Tony season.

Series 3 was the attempt, man. That was totally the point of Chase - that's why they very quickly split him and Jack up and have Chase going against Chapelle, doing Jack-isms... but somewhere along the line something went off with it. He was really good, too, I thought - right sort of actor, solid character, etc - he was never going to replace Keifer, but he was a step towards making the show more an ensemble. Rumour is that Kiefer didn't get on with him, or didn't like encroachment on his turf or whatever, and then in the latter half of the season the character was sidelined then written out entirely. (Then killed off-screen). Shame.

Darkangel

I'd be okay with a spinoff/continuation starring Tony. I feel like a new guy would just end up being a poor imitation of Jack.

Wiktor

Series 3 was the attempt, man. That was totally the point of Chase - that's why they very quickly split him and Jack up and have Chase going against Chapelle, doing Jack-isms... but somewhere along the line something went off with it. He was really good, too, I thought - right sort of actor, solid character, etc - he was never going to replace Keifer, but he was a step towards making the show more an ensemble. Rumour is that Kiefer didn't get on with him, or didn't like encroachment on his turf or whatever, and then in the latter half of the season the character was sidelined then written out entirely. (Then killed off-screen). Shame.

Werent there rumors Freddie Prince JR was supposed to head for spin-off too?

Anyway, 24 is Bauer. Without him I don't see it working. Unless they would actually throw out terrorist plots and instead did other action story using the 24 real-time format.

stn

Neeson gets brought in to bring Jack back from Russia. During the operation he deliberately goes off the grid and starts going crazy like Jack used to.

I would totally watch that.

Werent there rumors Freddie Prince JR was supposed to head for spin-off too?

Anyway, 24 is Bauer. Without him I don't see it working. Unless they would actually throw out terrorist plots and instead did other action story using the 24 real-time format.

Yeah, I think I remember reading that they're original intention was for Freddie Prince Jr was supposed to be the lead going forward. I just don't think it would have worked. I'd be all for Tony lead season of 24, but I don't think it would get the viewers. Yeah, you just need Kiefer for the series.

Honestly, Jack Bauer has become such a parody of himself over the course of the show that it's a bit absurd to suggest that particular role can't be played by another actor. Especially with the calibre of talent that is willing to work on television nowadays.

Marketing 24 without Jack Bauer is another matter entirely though.

Servbot24

Banned
In the past I would have said that I have no interest in 24 without Bauer, but Season 8 pretty much assassinated his character. He's just a one-dimensional dog now.

Blader

They tried the same thing again in season 6 with Doyle and it turned out even worse.

Penguin

Some more on the possible spin-off/revamp

Fox is developing a 24 spinoff that would revolve around a new twentysomething male terrorist hunter, but the intention would be for Kiefer Sutherland‘s Jack to weave in and out as a guest star, franchise overlord Howard Gordon confirmed to TVLine Sunday at the Critics Choice Television Awards.

The project would find the new male antihero working alongside an older, more seasoned female agent (not Yvonne Strahovski’s Kate Morgan, although she also may appear). It would also launch as a limited series, similar to last year’s acclaimed 24: Live Another Day, but I’m told the offshoot could easily become a long-term property for Fox.

http://tvline.com/2015/06/01/24-spinoff-fox-new-character-2016-kiefer-sutherland/

Tugatrix

They tried the same thing again in season 6 with Doyle and it turned out even worse.

Yeah doyle was cartonish in a terrible season, which ended his aspirations.

We already have a new Jack his name is Peter Quinn from homeland, at least Howard Gordon make the character a S01 Jack Bauer

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm not sure about all these non-Bauer spin-off possibilities; isn't Jack Bauer [the character] half the reason people watch in the first place? I know I am.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I think there is definitely potential for an action/thriller style tv programme. I just don't see the point of a spin off with limited Bauer. At this point 24=Jack so if you might as well make the spin off a unique property because people will be disappointed for it to lack Jack.

CoryCubed

Why not bring the guy in from Human Target?
humantarget15a.jpg

I3rand0

Pass then. Wasn't really into the idea of a spin-off with a different lead anyway but was open to it if it was some combination of Kate and Tony. But a completely new pair kills my interest in this.

Same here. This just looks like an excuse for Fox to not pay Kiefer's salary for an entire season.

A new "24" in name (and format) only will not succeed. The TV landscape has changed. Back when "24" first came out it was different from the competition. You didn't see moles, an antihero, threats to the president, main characters dying, torture, and gruesome acts of violence on primetime TV.

Nowadays with Netflix and cable so popular, "24" is kind of tame. The plot twists are predictable, the moles aren't special, Jack is tired, the gore/torture is expected, and main characters dying are cheap and gimmicky. The last season, while entertaining, was almost a parody of "24". Jack defenestrating Catelyn Stark, Audrey dying, Chang beheaded, president dying in a fake-out, etc.

stn

Meh. Why not do something radical and focus the show on Tony? Have him seek revenge on whoever. It'd be interesting because he's a villain but also the protagonist. Now THAT would be interesting. This just sounds like they want to run the same formula but without Kiefer.

Wiktor

No Bauer? Pass. Tony is tired and boring too. New agent will be just a rethread.

I wish they would just take the 24 hours in real-time concept and apply it to different genre of action instead of anti-terrorist plots. Give me a spy, thief, assassin, cop story in this format. Either that or Bauer.

Rich!

24 has been nominated for 3 Emmy awards this morning- Single-Camera Picture Editing, Music Composition and Sound Editing.

I hate the idea of leaving the plot where it was Jack deserves better.

But I am interested in seeing a clean slate in terms of all new characters. I remember when the pilot came on and everyone was trying to figure out why you would cast some 80’s non action hero as a lead for 24.

stn

I'll watch. Will be awkward without Jack but it is what it is. I recommend they do a few things to make it fresh, however:

1. Make the new protagonist more ruthless than Jack. Make him have an edge.
2. Tone down the techno-babble and hacking stuff.
3. Less "THIS GUY IS A MOLE" moments.
4. Don't base it in LA or New York. London was VERY refreshing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A soft reboot would be fine, you could sense that the producers were leaning towards that with the way they built up Renee Walker and Kate Morgan in their debut seasons. They didn't follow through with the former but they have a protagonist ready to go with Morgan, if they do decide to continue the series.

I really hope they do, the format of 24 is still strong and they have done everything they can with Bauer.

Zocano

I figure this is the best place to ask since I don't think it deserves a thread and I don't want to make a RTTP thread quite just yet

I fell off the 24 boat after Season 6, were the last 3 seasons good? I hear there were some incredibly stupidly awesome moments but the overall feeling was meeeehhh?

I've been rewatching with friends (who haven't watched it) and I imagine we'll get to the point where I just haven't seen it so I sorta want to know ahead of time.

edit: Oh, I thought this was in community. Ripperoni!

Betty

Banned
I figure this is the best place to ask since I don't think it deserves a thread and I don't want to make a RTTP thread quite just yet

I fell off the 24 boat after Season 6, were the last 3 seasons good? I hear there were some incredibly stupidly awesome moments but the overall feeling was meeeehhh?

I've been rewatching with friends (who haven't watched it) and I imagine we'll get to the point where I just haven't seen it so I sorta want to know ahead of time.

edit: Oh, I thought this was in community. Ripperoni!

No the last 3 seasons haven't been good, there have been spikes of decentness, but it's mostly a malaise of below averageness that never comes close to the first 5 seasons.

I remember season 8 being a decent last season, with 7 being a steaming pile of garbage. Live Another Day was received pretty well and I remember being hopeful for another season.

So I'd say soldier through 7 if you love the show, but watch seasons 8 and LAD.

Top Bottom