• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(360) Infinite Undiscovery site open

Mefisutoferesu said:
$*%^$*$%^()^$

awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome!!

full metal panic is a fun show, but it does not really have a strong script, record of lodoss is alright...hardly in inoue's league even

icecream

Public Health Threat
nelsonroyale said:
full metal panic is a fun show, but it does not really have a strong script, record of lodoss is alright...hardly in inoue's league even
The show is not wholly reflective of the light novels.

Plus he was the scenarist for an episode of Haruhi and 3 episodes of Lucky☆Star.

ymmv

Banned
Blimblim said:
Wow at the scenario part. I wonder if it's MS moneyhats again like Toriyama for Blue Dragon and Shigematsu/Inoue for Lost Odyssey.

Must be. With the 360 selling badly in Japan for two years now, there's no reason why Japanese publishers keep on releasing these exclusive games if it weren't for the MS money hats. Yes, there's an audience for JRPGs in the west but it would make more sense for a Japanese publisher or developer right now to make a game like Infinite Undiscovery a multi-platform title or even a PS3 exclusive if they want to have a hit in Japan.

It's really strange how MS is doing better getting support for these kind of games than Sony. The 360 currently is a better platform for RPGS than both the Wii and PS3..

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ymmv said:
Must be. With the 360 selling badly in Japan for two years now, there's no reason why Japanese publishers keep on releasing these exclusive games if it weren't for the MS money hats. Yes, there's an audience for JRPGs in the west but it would make more sense for a Japanese publisher or developer right now to make a game like Infinite Undiscovery a multi-platform title or even a PS3 exclusive if they want to have a hit in Japan.

It's really strange how MS is doing better getting support for these kind of games than Sony. The 360 currently is a better platform for RPGS than both the Wii and PS3..
Keep in mind than Infinite Undiscovery was at first announced as a game published by Microsoft, and it was announced as a Square-Unix title only at this year's TGS. I sure would love to know what exactly happened there.

Quazar

Blimblim said:
Wow at the scenario part. I wonder if it's MS moneyhats again like Toriyama for Blue Dragon and Shigematsu/Inoue for Lost Odyssey.

??

Wasn't it Sakaguchis idea to get them ? I guess you can say they moneyhatted them since they um..funded the projects.

lupin23rd

icecream said:
The show is not wholly reflective of the light novels.

Plus he was the scenarist for an episode of Haruhi and 3 episodes of Lucky?Star.

If we're talking about serious RPG's, I'm not sure I want anyone who was on the staff of either of those two shows on my game... Although I guess Lodoss gives credibility.

ethelred

tri-Ace contracting the story out to some pros is very good news. One of my big concerns and trepidations with this game is that I just wasn't sure if I could take another Star Ocean 3 disaster or Valkyrie Profile 2 disappointment.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yeah tri-Ace games are like AAA gameplay (omg those post-games dungeons tri-Ace!!) but like C+ on story.

I love tri-Ace a lot (a lot a lot infact), but goddamn when will they write a good plot!?

ps. I cant wait for this game.

u_neek

Error said:
yeah tri-Ace games are like AAA gameplay (omg those post-games dungeons tri-Ace!!) but like C+ on story.

I love tri-Ace a lot (a lot a lot infact), but goddamn when will they write a good plot!?
What? SO3 had an awesome plot!! ;)

Datschge

The scenarios to Radiata Stories and Valkyrie Profile 2 were also outsourced already so we will have to see if that's actually an improvement.

Microsoft most likely finances the whole development as the game was announced as a Microsoft "product" right after VP2 was released. Square-Enix most likely just joined the deal since it gives Microsoft better reputation, audience and publicity for the final product, and Square-Enix likely gets the permission to tell tri-Ace to reuse the same resources for SO3 which would otherwise have been exclusively Microsoft owned.

The game staff known through Famitsu were on the Japanese Wikipedia for ages already. I didn't know anyone missed them (most were likely focussed on the odd title anyway though).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SO3 is awesome but story is really not the reason why I love it.

story is so bad :x

it seems to me tri-Ace/MS deal this gen was like Atlus/MS deal last gen, where the developer (in this gen tri-Ace) used the money to fund their new engine. so will IU be another SMT NINE? ;o

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Error said:
SO3 is awesome but story is really not the reason why I love it.

story is so bad :x

it seems to me tri-Ace/MS deal this gen was like Atlus/MS deal last gen, where the developer (in this gen tri-Ace) used the money to fund their new engine. so will IU be another SMT NINE? ;o
Except it's not really the same since Atlus completely outsourced SMT NINE, tri-Ace is developing IU them-selves.

SPEA

I think Microsoft just wanted Square-Enix's name on it. Thats why it's not published by Microsoft anymore. Though like someone said, they're probably helping fund it.

They can use the marketing of "The Next Square-Enix RPG. Exclusive to Xbox 360."

icecream

Public Health Threat
That and S-E gets out of having to do something themselves to show their 'multi-platform' support.

It's a handshake deal on both sides.

Narcosis

icecream said:
That and S-E gets out of having to do something themselves to show their 'multi-platform' support.

Yeah, Square really has to sneak around showing "multiplatform" support when they have games coming to to all 5 of the current gen platforms. That would make them multiplatform, even if individual games are only on one system.

I think MS is still the publisher for the game but they are co publishing it now. SE name on it will help it sell in japan. at least thats what i think

demifiend

Starting to lean into my WANT pile. Even though it had a bland story with a twist that nearly killed my enthusiasm for the game, Star Ocean is still one of my favorite action RPGs in terms of battle mechanics. Hearing that they contracted out to some respectable writers goes a long way towards quashing my expectation that they would wrap another lame-ass boy-hero anime story around a fun battle system.
Still hate the title though.

Top Bottom