• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

surly

Banned
What's the fan noise like, Alucrid? I know you're transferring your data across at the moment, but what's it like while it's just idling?

Alucrid

Banned
surly said:
What's the fan noise like, Alucrid? I know you're transferring your data across at the moment, but what's it like while it's just idling?

Pretty much nothing. I'm going to install a game and see if that changes anything, but sitting at the dashboards there's really no noticeable sound. Ok, if you ear is two inches away, you hear it.

Yeah, I'm on the east coast. Right outside Philly.

Love how the open/close tray button is touch. :D

FrankT

Score :D. Out of focus and all ;

vy5q88.jpg

Anyhow my local GS store got 6 and he already had 4/5 calls. I got the first and he was planning on grabbing one too.

It has a nice cool new sound on startup as well. New car smell and all heh.

Mad_Ban

Jtyettis said:
Score :D. Out of focus and all ;

vy5q88.jpg

Anyhow my local GS store got 6 and he already had 4/5 calls. I got the first and he was planning on grabbing one too.

It has a nice cool new sound on startup as well. New car smell and all heh.
Youtube, now. :p

Just a little idea for people who maybe have ratty or older controllers and are trading up to a slim. Gamestop is giving 25 dollars on the trade-in, amazon sells them for 30. So you could conceivably upgrade to a new controller for ~5 bucks.

kaskade

So gamestop store are getting them now? Where are you guys located? I'm just wondering if they are getting to other places before the east.

FrankT

Hmm, first time using license transfer. Quick and easy. I like the fact they let you automatically add all your content to your instant Q for download as well.

Also if you go to Gamestop be prepared to possibly wait a awhile for them to figure it all out. The trade-in deals were not working automatically so it took him a bit to work it all out. He actually got an email about it while I was checking out.

Alucrid

Banned
silentspork said:
Never transferred anything via USB, is it pretty straightforward to do so? I've got a stick or two laying around I can use.

Put the stick in. Format it. Go to memory, click on the device that has what you want to transfer, press Y to transfer content, pick where you want it to transfer and exactly what you want (there's a nice menu that comes up for it) and then hit start on the bottom right side and wait.

Saqs - My account?

GitarooMan said:
Just a little idea for people who maybe have ratty or older controllers and are trading up to a slim. Gamestop is giving 25 dollars on the trade-in, amazon sells them for 30. So you could conceivably upgrade to a new controller for ~5 bucks.

That trade in price only applies to the purchase of a new S system.

Alucrid

Banned
Okay, FFXIII is installed. I closed my windows, turned off my fan and started to play. The fan was pretty loud, then I realized it was my desktop. This literally is 'whisper quiet.'

Magnus

Toronto/Canada GAF:

Heard they're shipping them to EB/Gamestops tomorrow and therefore they'll either arrive in the afternoon tomorrow....or Monday.

Alucrid

Banned
neptunes said:
how does the wifi set-up work?

does it work in the same way as if you had the wireless usb adapter?

After doing that whole 'new xbox' set up a message appeared saying 'you have a wireless adapter would you like to connect to xbox live, blah blah blah.' You can also do it from the system settings, so yes, just like the usb one.

skyfinch

Alucrid said:
Okay, FFXIII is installed. I closed my windows, turned off my fan and started to play. The fan was pretty loud, then I realized it was my desktop. This literally is 'whisper quiet.'

That's what I like to hear. :D

goldenpp72

2 quick questions, for gamestop trade in quality, I have a 360 arcade in GREAT shape aside one thing, the little usb cover popped off some time ago so the usb place is exposed, would this be a no go trade with GS? a replacement faceplate would negate the problem.

Also, I have controllers to trade but can't find one of the battery backings that came with it, no go?

Yazuka

So when can we expect comparison pictures (haven't seen any real good) on the old and new 360. Want to see the different in the size of the powerbrick.
Yeah, I saw the picture posted here, that's is a bit higher than a CD. But I don't remember how big the original brick is.
Either way, can't wait till I have the money to get a new 360.

prophecy0

goldenpp72 said:
2 quick questions, for gamestop trade in quality, I have a 360 arcade in GREAT shape aside one thing, the little usb cover popped off some time ago so the usb place is exposed, would this be a no go trade with GS? a replacement faceplate would negate the problem.

Also, I have controllers to trade but can't find one of the battery backings that came with it, no go?

They should still take it. As long as the disc tray works okay and a game boots up without issue you should be fine.

I got nervous when the GS employee was testing my console out because my disc tray wouldn't open. I told him it was working fine last night (which is true, but it has given me trouble in the past). I got it to open by putting a little pressure on the left side of the tray and then the GS guy sprayed out the innards with compressed air. The tray then opened and closed without issue and I got full value for my trade. Their leniency on this kind of thing will obviously vary store by store, but I don't think they'll deny you a trade due to the USB cover being missing.

goldenpp72

prophecy0 said:
They should still take it. As long as the disc tray works okay and a game boots up without issue you should be fine.

I got nervous when the GS employee was testing my console out because my disc tray wouldn't open. I told him it was working fine last night (which is true, but it has given me trouble in the past). I got it to open by putting a little pressure on the left side of the tray and then the GS guy sprayed out the innards with compressed air. The tray then opened and closed without issue and I got full value for my trade. Their leniency on this kind of thing will obviously vary store by store, but I don't think they'll deny you a trade due to the USB cover being missing.

How about a controller missing it's battery pack? Or if I gave them a different color one, heh.

burgerdog

Just tried SSF4 off the disc. It makes as much sound as my Elite with a game installed, FUCK! MS has really taken care of the disc drive sound problem.

edit
Going to take my Elite to Gamestop now, I'll try Fable 2 when I get back.

burgerdog said:
Just tried SSF4 off the disc. It makes as much sound as my Elite with a game installed, FUCK! MS has really taken care of the disc drive sound problem.

edit

Awesome :D

Alright guys, got home, set it up and fired up a few games. Here are my impressions:

Design: This thing is sexy as hell. When vertical, the curves are pretty sexy, as is the overall new design. It only has the side vents on the right side so if you put it vertically it looks kinda funky, but you can put it horizontally without blocking any vents. The buttons to eject, etc. are touch like the PS3. I think it looks awesome. They give you a black headset as well as a new (all black, including that stripe underneath) black controller with a chrome guide button, and an improved d-pad (at least it feels like it to me).

Performance: The thing really is whisper-quiet when not running a game. Now when you put in a game, obviously, this changes. Without installing a game (why wouldn't you with 250gb) it sounds as loud as the regular 360, minus the fan noises. But with games installed it is pretty damn quiet, which is very impressive. Wireless N is very fast, as is expected.

Accessories: Like I said it comes with a nice all-black controller and headset (I mean ALL black, no gray). Whats disappointing is the power brick. Its not as big as the launch units (which is what I am replacing) but its still pretty chunking. The PS3 has it beat badly on this aspect. Also, I heard it came with an HDMI cable, it does not. It comes with regular Composite, which is also disappointing.

Overall: The system is very sexy and very slim. Its a finger print magnet, just putting it in its place cover the damn thing in smudges. I am thrilled with my purchase, 100% (I traded my old Xbox, 120gb HDD, and Wireless N adapter [which fucking sucked]) and got 180 at Gamestop. If you have a launch unit or an older Xbox (especially without HDMI) I say buy it, like, right now. If you have an Elite or just purchased one, I'd say hold off until a price drop. Its a great revision but it's not for everyone especially at the $299 price tag.

If y'all have any questions feel free to ask!

Mad_Ban said:
Youtube, now. :p
I think it's the one you hear / seen in the E3 press conference for microsoft when they showed off those games at the start, the green wave comes out from around the silver X instead of some rings like the current bootup, pitch is different. that's about it.

Saren is Bad said:
Also, I heard it came with an HDMI cable, it does not. It comes with regular Composite, which is also disappointing.
Wait, hold up

Like, composite composite or the composite/component the 360 originally came with?

Alucrid

Banned
Saren is Bad said:
Alright guys, got home, set it up and fired up a few games. Here are my impressions:

Overall: The system is very sexy and very slim. Its a finger print magnet, just putting it in its place cover the damn thing in smudges. I am thrilled with my purchase, 100% (I traded my old Xbox, 120gb HDD, and Wireless N adapter [which fucking sucked]) and got 180 at Gamestop. If you have a launch unit or an older Xbox (especially without HDMI) I say buy it, like, right now. If you have an Elite or just purchased one, I'd say hold off until a price drop. Its a great revision but it's not for everyone especially at the $299 price tag.

If y'all have any questions feel free to ask!

Yes. I was worried about getting fingerprints all over it so I just handled it with the wrapping it came in. :lol I'd say that if you bought an elite at launch it's still worth it because by now it's probably dying.

ShockingAlberto said:
Wait, hold up

Like, composite composite or the composite/component the 360 originally came with?

No HDMI, just the composite ones (red, white, yellow) no HD component ones.

ShockingAlberto said:
Wait, hold up

They got rid of the split Composite/Component cable. It's strictly Composite now.

You can buy a HDMI cable from amazon for $3.00 it's no biggie.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Alucrid said:
Yes. I was worried about getting fingerprints all over it so I just handled it with the wrapping it came in. :lol I'd say that if you bought an elite at launch it's still worth it because by now it's probably dying.

No HDMI, just the composite ones (red, white, yellow) no HD component ones.

That's weird.. I have no idea why they would do that... Oh well HDMI cables are cheap as shit if you look in the right places.

prophecy0

goldenpp72 said:
How about a controller missing it's battery pack? Or if I gave them a different color one, heh.

They'll want the battery pack with it, but I doubt they care if the colors don't match. I can't say for sure though.

FrankT

Man haven't even played any games yet just downloading and this thing pumps out some serious heat out that vent.

burgerdog said:

edit

Very nice and it seems to jive with other hands on impressions as well as far as noise level.

Top Bottom