• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Gamestop around me wasn't getting there units until tomorrow. Guy on the phone said he was only getting "a couple". I asked if reservations were available and he said "no, first come first serve".

burgerdog

Is it possible to temporarily hold 360 save files on a pc? I only have a 4gb usb so it's not enough to back up all my stuff. I have a transfer cable but since I plan on doing the gamestop trade-in deal it's useless. I very much doubt GS will let me sit there for a few hours while 80gigs worth of shit transfers.

shaowebb

Is there a way to transfer my hard drive to the new slim model? If it has built in wifi that is a selling point to me since its nearly $100 just to get friggin wifi with microsoft anyways.

If I can transfer the hard drive then I might do it just for that to try it out. Cant overheat and die on me more times than my current 360 did (6 times).

I called mine and from the tone of her voice, I wasnt the first. :lol

She definitely went through the response like it wasnt the first time she had done it. "Getting them tomorrow, its first come, first serve, no reserves, we are getting a high volume of interest in these, and to let you know, we aren't going to get many tomorrow."

burgerdog

Fuck it, not trading my Elite in. I'll get rid of it using craiglist eventually I'm sure. Be back in a bit, gaf! Hopefully not empty-handed.

DasRaven

burgerdog said:
Is it possible to temporarily hold 360 save files on a pc? I only have a 4gb usb so it's not enough to back up all my stuff. I have a transfer cable but since I plan on doing the gamestop trade-in deal it's useless. I very much doubt GS will let me sit there for a few hours while 80gigs worth of shit transfers.

I've heard rumor that you can "trade-in" your HDD and they'll let you take it home, do the transfer, and return the HDD within the same day.
I'd expect they'd do a credit/debit hold for the amount of the trade-in to protect themselves.

Very encouraged to hear that stores are getting them. I'll be going to the one near work in 30m for the opening.

Opus Angelorum said:
Some impressions of the noise levels would be appreciated.

Out of interest, are you guys buying an additional Xbox 360 S or are you trading in?

I had bought a second 360 for $100 bucks to just use as a media extender on a second TV so that's the unit I'm trading in to upgrade to the S. Then move my main unit over to the second TV now.

OldJadedGamer said:
I had bought a second 360 for $100 bucks to just use as a media extender on a second TV so that's the unit I'm trading in to upgrade to the S. Then move my main unit over to the second TV now.

Exact same plan here. Due to needing wireless N in the other room and I'd love a new controller.

So without the memory cards I assume the new USB memory can be used to transfer gamercards. Is that right?

gillty

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Exact same plan here.

So without the memory cards I assume the new USB memory can be used to transfer gamercards. Is that right?
any usb thumbdrive up to 16gb can be formatted for the 360.

carlosp

Banned
maybe i will get a slim for Gears and then sell it again. I will bite for 200€. Now it finally fits to the design of my home system which is all black.

Cheech

-PXG- said:
Yeah, I'm getting mines tonight. I need to know if my transfer kit will work.

Yes. Any of the old transfer kits will work. You don't need a DVD anymore, the 360's firmware has been able to do it for awhile now.

The old hard drive will show up under "Memory", and then you can have it mass copy the whole thing. Very simple.

P.S. Hook the old hard drive up with the 360 turned off, THEN boot the Xbox and do the copy. Or bad things might happen.

Just got it at work...

213rtk.jpg

Zomo

goldenpp72 said:
Does anyone know if gamestop will allow us to do a transfer at their store? I have the kit and the xbox but yeah..
Asking won't hurt, probably won't allow it for some reason though.

Cheech

goldenpp72 said:
Does anyone know if gamestop will allow us to do a transfer at their store? I have the kit and the xbox but yeah..

They will give you up to 7 days from date of purchase to get your old hard drive back to them, and they will honor the trade-in value.

So I just got back from Gamestop and they're not getting them in until tomorrow. Called in EB Games and a different Gamestop and they both said the same thing. I really hope I choose the right one to go to tomorrow.

I think I should have just ordered it online.

Kinect has knocked down the Xbox 360 S to #2 on amazon.com (by the way, can we start calling it the 360 S? From what I gather, thats what its called on the back of the system).

anyone know the best place to trade in a regular 360? Gamestop told me $60 plus the $25 bonus going on right now but I'm looking for something more like $125-150.

knitoe

infinityBCRT said:
Kinect has knocked down the Xbox 360 S to #2 on amazon.com (by the way, can we start calling it the 360 S? From what I gather, thats what its called on the back of the system).
Even Amazon is listing Kinect as $150. Don't want to spend that much, but must for the Mrs. and kid.

I don't own a 360 but really want to buy one for Skate 3 & Red Dead.

Seeing as i'm in Australia, Elites have been $400 for a while, but have just dropped to $250 with Forza 3 & Halo ODST to clear room for the slims. Now the slims are coming in at $450, should I just bite the bullet and get the cheap Elite? I have shit all money, so either way i'm gonna screw myself. It's really just Natal ready & wifi plus hopefully more reliable, right?

Might go the Elite..

-Yeti said:
So I just got back from Gamestop and they're not getting them in until tomorrow. Called in EB Games and a different Gamestop and they both said the same thing. I really hope I choose the right one to go to tomorrow.

I think I should have just ordered it online.

My local EB isn't answering their phone yet so I guess they open at 10am. I'm not lugging all my shit down there if they aren't taking in trades yet.

brandonh83 said:
anyone know the best place to trade in a regular 360? Gamestop told me $60 plus the $25 bonus going on right now but I'm looking for something more like $125-150.

They're lying (or stupid)

That is assuming you are trading it in to get one of the new 360 Slims

brandonh83 said:

No one, I repeat, NO ONE will buy your console for $125-$150.

knitoe said:
Even Amazon is listing Kinect as $150. Don't want to spend that much, but must for the Mrs. and kid.
I still think its gonna be sold at a lower price. Why would MS tell retailers to list it at $150 and then not announce the price? I think they are gonna come in lower to surprise everyone and make it seem cheap.

Also, if you are looking into getting the 360 S Console as well, you should wait for the kinect bundle.

Big problem with the Gamestop deal:

Just called and they said that the trade in transaction has to be done at the exact same time you pick up your S unit. So that means if they don't have them in stock then you can't do the trade. It's first come, first serve so if they keep selling them and never had them in stock for the duration of the trade in special, you're SOL.

LAME. They can totally give you credit in the machine and call you when you're next in line but they won't. I love how they bust your ass to pre-order everything in advance but something like this is way out of their control.

Spasm

burgerdog said:
I walked home so it took me a while!

sex.jpg
First things first... Is there an IR port? Can't seem to get a straight answer on this one. I'm going to be pissed if my 360 Harmony is suddenly useless.

Top Bottom