• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Snuggler said:
Yeah I feel like kind of a dingus for buying a console I already have, but if it's quiter and more reliable and everything it'll be worth it I think. Plus I'll be upgrading from a 20gb to a 250gb, I need that space so bad.

I'll have to go through gamestop since I can get a decent deal on my old 360 but I'm just hoping that they'll still have some in stock in like a week or so.

Are you able to get a rain check at Gamestop if you're trading in your stuff for the Slim360 trade in deal but they run out of stock?

...or am I being naive?

So, a few questions

Assuming I took everything to Gamestop, harddrive and all, and traded it in

Would they let me do the transfer right in the store or would I be kind of fucked?

Also, I had heard scuttlebutt that the controllers now are like Sixaxis/Dualshock in that you don't need a proprietary charge cable, you can just plug it in via USB. Is that true? If so, I should trade my controllers in.

If not, I have to get a new play and charge pack, anyway, since my controller is white and the new controllers are black. :\

ShockingAlberto said:
So, a few questions

Assuming I took everything to Gamestop, harddrive and all, and traded it in

Would they let me do the transfer right in the store or would I be kind of fucked?

Also, I had heard scuttlebutt that the controllers now are like Sixaxis/Dualshock in that you don't need a proprietary charge cable, you can just plug it in via USB. Is that true? If so, I should trade my controllers in.

If not, I have to get a new play and charge pack, anyway, since my controller is white and the new controllers are black. :\

I've stopped using play and charge kits and now all I use are these. Plus, I can change them out with my Wiimotes too.

SANYO-eneloop-4-Pack-AA-NiMH-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries-B000IV2WAW-L.jpg

dejay

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
I've stopped using play and charge kits and now all I use are these. Plus, I can change them out with my Wiimotes too.

SANYO-eneloop-4-Pack-AA-NiMH-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries-B000IV2WAW-L.jpg

This x infinity. I always used rechargeables, but the eneloops don't drop their charge in their down time, meaning I can leave a spare controller for three months and have it work for more than five minutes when I break it out for a guest. I've got 12 AAs and 8 AAAs and use them for everything.

Variable

dejay said:
This x infinity. I always used rechargeables, but the eneloops don't drop their charge in their down time, meaning I can leave a spare controller for three months and have it work for more than five minutes when I break it out for a guest. I've got 12 AAs and 8 AAAs and use them for everything.

How long does it take to fully charge those? I have rechargeable energizer batteries that take more then 10 hours to fully recharge.

FrankT

miladesn said:
just read on engadget that the new console doesn't have any red LEDs

Yea posted pretty early on in the thread. Good stuff.

Snuggler said:
Yeah I feel like kind of a dingus for buying a console I already have, but if it's quiter and more reliable and everything it'll be worth it I think. Plus I'll be upgrading from a 20gb to a 250gb, I need that space so bad.

I'll have to go through gamestop since I can get a decent deal on my old 360 but I'm just hoping that they'll still have some in stock in like a week or so.

Yea anyone with a 20gb this is certainly the one to upgrade to.

Digital-Hero said:
Yeah, I'll post here. I've bought game systems from them before and they were fine. My most recent was a slim PS3 last August.

Yea please do.

Also can any GS worker confirm if they are getting them in today or tomorrow?

OldJadedGamer said:

I could use a pair of these. Where do you pick them up at? Personally, I am gonna wait until the eventual price drop on the new slims before I upgrade. My wife would love one (and by that I mean my old 360) to use as a netflix box in the bedroom while I rock the new hotness

DasRaven

Str0ngStyle said:
I could use a pair of these. Where do you pick them up at? Personally, I am gonna wait until the eventual price drop on the new slims before I upgrade. My wife would love one (and by that I mean my old 360) to use as a netflix box in the bedroom while I rock the new hotness

Amazon, Costco (some), Fry's Electronics, and Ritz Camera stores. They are the way and the light!

Cindres said:
Oh wow. :lol
Maybe it never breaks?

Well, other than the previous version, it is drawing far, FAR less power than ever before (less power = less heat). So perhaps this is finally enough to let it be what it should've been at launch? Personally, I'll give it a couple months. If it seems 100% rock solid, we'll let a 3rd 360 enter our house (if so, my son will be happy as hell).

As far as I know, the new systems are not guaranteed for today or tomorrow. The shipment is more of a luck of the draw. I would highly advise for people to call and check their local GS around 11am/ noon (when shipment comes) and hope their store gets it. I know each store has a limited shipment for this week.

I wish MS didn't make that ignorant comment Monday. Don't tell your consumers that something is being released today and should be shipping to stores now. So many people have come into the store asking for the new 360 and customers who overhear the conversation and then they start a ruckus about us having the new system and what it is. Now there's at least 30+ customers calling every day asking when the new Xbox is coming out.

FrankT

Crazypanda_85 said:
As far as I know, the new systems are not guaranteed for today or tomorrow. The shipment is more of a luck of the draw. I would highly advise for people to call and check their local GS around 11am/ noon (when shipment comes) and hope their store gets it. I know each store has a limited shipment for this week.

I wish MS didn't make that ignorant comment Monday. Don't tell your consumers that something is being released today and should be shipping to stores now. So many people have come into the store asking for the new 360 and customers who overhear the conversation and then they start a ruckus about us having the new system and what it is. Now there's at least 30+ customers calling every day asking when the new Xbox is coming out.

Just great. MS has got to know they need more than 4 per store week one.

Please decide for me!

Should I keep my crappy old jet plane sounding 360 and get a PS3 or just trade my crappy 360 for a slim edition and get a decent blu-ray player?

Sniper McBlaze said:
Please decide for me!

Should I keep my crappy old jet plane sounding 360 and get a PS3 or just trade my crappy 360 for a slim edition and get a decent blu-ray player?

Honestly, I would trade in the system, hard drive and extra controller and get the new slim for less than $150 and get a PS3 when you can. You can find a decent BR player for around $200 but for that price, you might as well just wait and get a PS3. PS3s can be easily updated, also is ready for the any new upgrades for the HDMI cables that might come out next year and is a great gaming console.

I'm totally beginning to think that the slim launch was a test run for launching the next Xbox in the same manner. They had this thing locked down so hard as if it was a new hardware launch. If that italian ad didn't come out the night before, no one would have known about it.

Jtyettis said:
Just great. MS has got to know they need more than 4 per store week one.

That's my biggest gripe about it. Most stores are only getting 4 units and when you put the word new on anything, people will inquire about it and run to buy it. If you really want one, I suggest either being diligent about checking your stores today and tomorrow when shipment hits or check a GS that doesn't get a lot of traffic.

Alucrid

Banned
Crazypanda_85 said:
That's my biggest gripe about it. Most stores are only getting 4 units and when you put the word new on anything, people will inquire about it and run to buy it. If you really want one, I suggest either being diligent about checking your stores today and tomorrow when shipment hits or check a GS that doesn't get a lot of traffic.

I'm going to be one sad panda if I don't get one.

DasRaven

Sniper McBlaze said:
Please decide for me!

The resale market for 360s is about to dive HARD. So, if your 360 is not a Jasper, trade-up definitely as this will be your last chance to. If is it a Jasper, then it is really a preference decision. I'm trading a Jasper arcade with my original 2005 model's 20GB HDD for more install/XBLA space, but I could certainly just pick up a bigger HDD. I happen to like the internal WiFi N and new case, so I'm going for it.

You can certainly get a decent standalone BD player now, look at Sony's own recent models (BDP-Sx70).

DasRaven said:
The resale market for 360s is about to dive HARD. So, if your 360 is not a Jasper, trade-up definitely as this will be your last chance to. If is it a Jasper, then it is really a preference decision. I'm trading a Jasper arcade with my original 2007 model's 20GB HDD for more install/XBLA space, but I could certainly just pick up a bigger HDD. I happen to like the internal WiFi N and new case, so I'm going for it.

You can certainly get a decent standalone BD player now, look at Sony's own recent models (BDP-Sx70).

True. I got one of the first Xbox 360s and I couldn't just get a bigger hd because my Xbox would still sound like a jet plane. The noise is so loud it affects my experience in games. I'll wait and see what kind of trade-in deal Gamestop will have here in Sweden.

TigerKnee

Sniper McBlaze said:
Please decide for me!

How about you grow up and learn how to make your own decisions? =P

DasRaven

RurouniZel said:
I'm highly interested in this information as well.

Same here, stores don't open for another 90 minutes here. So if there's success on the E. coast, I'll head out today. I've already got my trade-in in the trunk.

Wiggum2007

Opus Angelorum said:
I was told categorically that this will not work with the new Xbox 360 S, can anyone confirm otherwise?

From what I've heard it does work, the one end connects to your old HDD and the usb connects to the new 360, should work fine.

Opus Angelorum said:
I was told categorically that this will not work with the new Xbox 360 S, can anyone confirm otherwise?
It will work-- its just that the original transfer software won't. I believe the software is built into the Dashboard now or will be in the future according to one of the MS guys showing off the new slim 360 at E3 (heard it in one of the unboxing vids)

Crazypanda_85 said:

It got the desired effect. People are excited about getting one, and people are gonna put down money in YOUR store and may even get a few games while they are at it.

FrankT

Whoever is going to Gamestop ask them if you can at least reserve the system yet. Guy told me yesterday it still said TBA in their system so no way he could do it yet.

infinityBCRT said:
It got the desired effect. People are excited about getting one, and people are gonna put down money in YOUR store and may even get a few games while they are at it.

Don't get me wrong, I love helping customers and having people being excited about new systems and games but MS should have at least sent the consoles to the stores (or told people they will be out next week) before telling people to run out and grab the new system. People without proper information act crazy.

Alucrid

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Whoever is going to Gamestop ask them if you can at least reserve the system yet. Guy told me yesterday it still said TBA in their system so no way he could do it yet.

Well, I called three gamestops. One told me what they told you, two said it was first come first serve.

kaskade

I called only one EB yesterday and the girl said a week or two. Did every eb get the friday memo? I'm probably going down there anyway to see if I can nab one.

infinityBCRT said:
It will work-- its just that the original transfer software won't. I believe the software is built into the Dashboard now or will be in the future according to one of the MS guys showing off the new slim 360 at E3 (heard it in one of the unboxing vids)

Hopefully this will be ready for launch then, thanks.

Jtyettis said:

They can sell the systems as soon as they get them in but they can't reserve them :(

Top Bottom