• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

goldenpp72

MirageDwarf said:
I was hoping some improvement there. I don't keep all games installed all the time. Sometimes I want to play old games for short time without installing it again.

He's saying while it runs OFF THE DISC it sounds as quiet as a 360 when it was installed, I don't get the problem here :/

MirageDwarf said:
I was hoping some improvement there. I don't keep all games installed all the time. Sometimes I want to play old games for short time without installing it again.
There ARE improvements. It's clearly making less noise.

Yea, shipments kind of suck. Im away all day tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get one middle of next week.

This Xbox still work, I can survive a week.

surly

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
There has been improvement.

The guy above said that there is no noticeable noise when a game is installed and that it really is "whisper quiet".

He also said that a game running from disc makes about as much noise as a game that's installed on the older 360 units, NOT that a game running from disc makes as much noise as a game running from disc on the older units.

Jtyettis said:
May want to read this again;

surly said:
There has been improvement.

The guy above said that there is no noticeable noise when a game is installed and that it really is "whisper quiet".

He also said that a game running from disc makes about as much noise as a game that's installed on the older 360 units, NOT that a game running from disc makes as much noise as a game running from disc on the older units.

Oops. Reading FTL. Got it. That's good actually.

KaYotiX

Banned
With 250 gigs of storage there should be no reason to NOT install all your games you play regulary to the HDD. Im in the process now, Rockband song transfer is going slow though

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dammit, sounds like I might have some trouble finding a 360 slim by the time I have the cash money for it next week. My gamestop will be getting a shipment in tomorrow but I'm like $80 short right now. If it's gonna be a pain to find one I might just buy a bigass hard drive for my current 360 and use the rest to buy a Wii or something but I'd definitely like to get one of these.

FrankT

KaYotiX said:
With 250 gigs of storage there should be no reason to NOT install all your games you play regulary to the HDD. Im in the process now, Rockband song transfer is going slow though

Good point. I thought it said 228 once I got my tag up. They just keep taking more amirite. 12 or 13 on the 120gb iirc.

Banned
Vic said:
Uhm, let's start from the top, yes?

From what I remember from the press conference, the "new" Xbox was way smaller and thinner than this o_O

Old 360: 309mm x 83mm x 258mm - 3.5kg
New 360: 270mm x 75mm x 265mm - 2.9kg

Bob Loblaw said:
Still uses a powerbrick?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

xoil4l.jpg

Tmac

black_vegeta said:
It's not offically the XBOX 360 Slim. That's just us (gamers) giving it that name.

Microsoft named it Xbox 360 250GB.

You right, but thats because the general concensus is that, if you goging to re-design a console, you have to make is slimmer. Anything other than that is absolutely pointless.

Microsft just changed the console "skin", and that was pretty lame.

- Cost reductions potential? Close to none.
- Incompatible Hard Disk models
- 2 different consoles 'lines' on the market - 2 different types of HD avaible - dozens of bundles...

Thats a nightmare.

LQX

I don't see why some are still hung up on the size. Its is still smaller than the old model and its not like the old one was gigantic. If anything it was average size and nothing about it was "OMG" that's huge.

Vyer

Tmac said:
You right, but thats because the general concensus is that, if you goging to re-design a console, you have to make is slimmer. Anything other than that is absolutely pointless.

- 2 different consoles 'lines' on the market - 2 different types of HD avaible - dozens of bundles...

Thats a nightmare.
It's not just a change in skin. When you hold them both there is a noticeable difference, including in weight.

black_vegeta said:
Hmmmm, link me dat source please if you have it.

Edit: the fat pic :lol

gamestop said:
Xbox 360 250GB Console includes:
Xbox 360 250GB S Console
Xbox 360 250GB S Removable Hard Drive
Xbox 360 Black Wireless Controller
Xbox 360 Black Headset
Xbox 360 Composite A/V cable (standard definition)
One Month Xbox LIVE Gold Membership
1 year limited console warranty

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78107&loc=360carousel

KaYotiX

Banned
LQX said:
I don't see why some are still hung up on the size. Its is still smaller than the old model and its not like the old one was gigantic. If anything it was average size and nothing about it was "OMG" that's huge.

True, i basically got it for the 250 gig HDD and the fact GS was doing such a good deal to trade up to get it i figured why not.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So, since I'm trading my current 360 towards the "slim" 360, is my only option gonna be to do it in-store when they have a "slim" in stock or is there a way to just get credit and do it online? I want to get it ASAP but it's gotta be gamestop since the store credit shit will make a big diff.

K' Dash

LQX said:

Except for the power brick...

Tmac said:

Current 360 was a Jasper = 65nm GPU, 65nm GPU on two chips.

360 S = Valhalla chipset = 45nm GPU+CPU combo = simpler motherboard, less power requirements, less cooling requirements.

DasRaven

Sadly today is a bust on here on the W. coast. 5 stores, all received their shipments for the day, no 360S consoles.
I did however get two employees to call me tomorrow when shipments come in (after they buy theirs off the truck of course).

So I have a good chance of getting one tomorrow and the deal runs through 07/11, so I'm going to cancel my Amazon order tonight.

tmarques

Why's mocking a morbildy obese woman "funny" when any other display of prejudice results in an instant ban?

I can only imagine how difficult life must be for that lady. I honestly got a lump in my throat seeing that picture.

Tmac said:

Thats a nightmare.

Yea, I'm sure you are quite the expert.

Also, they didn't just change the skin. They upgraded hard drive capacity and included Wi-Fi in the system natively, in addition to making it smaller, though maybe not as small as you would like.

tmarques said:
Why's mocking a morbildy obese woman "funny" when any other display of prejudice results in an instant ban?

I can only imagine how difficult life must be for that lady. I honestly got a lump in my throat seeing that picture.

She brought it upon herself.

Don't derail the thread!

How bout that XBox 360 S?

Tmac said:

Thats a nightmare.
11ui3jn.gif

FrankT

Snuggler said:
So, since I'm trading my current 360 towards the "slim" 360, is my only option gonna be to do it in-store when they have a "slim" in stock or is there a way to just get credit and do it online? I want to get it ASAP but it's gotta be gamestop since the store credit shit will make a big diff.

Pretty sure it's going to have to be the former as you have to put it towards the new 360. If it wasn't for that yea you could take your credit and just do it online.

Beer Monkey said:
Current 360 was a Jasper = 65nm GPU, 65nm GPU on two chips.

360 S = Valhalla chipset = 45nm GPU+CPU combo = simpler motherboard, less power requirements, less cooling requirements.

Indeed.

DeVeAn

black_vegeta said:
She brought it upon herself.

Don't derail the thread!

How bout that XBox 360 S?
I am sure she put down her ice cream to take a picture of herself and post it on the net for people to make fun of. Some people.

I want the new 360 but, my old one is fine and I play PS3 more. I still want one anyway lol.

DeadGzuz

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
He's saying while it runs OFF THE DISC it sounds as quiet as a 360 when it was installed, I don't get the problem here :/

So a 12x DVD drive is as quite as the old 80mm fans? I'd wait for verification on that, sounds too good to be true.

Beer Monkey said:
360 S = Valhalla chipset = 45nm GPU+CPU combo

Any evidence for this?

Nelo Ice

Banned
so anyone kno if best buys old warranty(the replacement plan) will work?

my 360 is covered by their old warranty so im hoping i can just go into best buy and replace my current 360 with a 250gb

ShinAmano

So I already asked...didn't get an answer...what is the easiest way to get data from my elite onto a new machine if I go this route?

Sean

Banned
Called my Gamestop and they don't get it until tomorrow.

That's better for me I guess since it gives me time to delete all my stuff off the hard drive and transfer to a USB stick. I just hope I'm able to get one tomorrow - the guy sounded pretty pissed off like he was being asked this same question all day.

DeVeAn

ShinAmano said:
So I already asked...didn't get an answer...what is the easiest way to get data from my elite onto a new machine if I go this route?
If ifs just save data I would go with USB stick. Otherwise that $20 data transfer cable might be the best.

Zomo

ShinAmano said:
Transfer cable ir USB drive. Both are easy enough.

FrankT

DeadGzuz said:
Any evidence for this?

Per the fact sheet;

Key Internal Components Changes:

Fan: Moved from two small fans to one larger fan for improved acoustics.
Chipset: 45 nanometer and integrated CPU and GPU.
Wi-Fi: Integrated wireless capability.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/slim-xbox-360-gets-official-at-299-shipping-today-looks-angul/

Sean said:
Called my Gamestop and they don't get it until tomorrow.

That's better for me I guess since it gives me time to delete all my stuff off the hard drive and transfer to a USB stick. I just hope I'm able to get one tomorrow - the guy sounded pretty pissed off like he was being asked this same question all day.

:lol I'm sure he was. Got the first one this morning at my local GS. He got in 6 and already had 4/5 calls on it and he was getting one of them as well heh.

ShinAmano

DeVeAn said:
If ifs just save data I would go with USB stick. Otherwise that $20 data transfer cable might be the best.
What else would it be? Games installed I can just re-install...arcade games I can re-download...guess I nee a memory stick.

Will Gamestop allow me to do this in store?

KaYotiX

Banned
ShinAmano said:

USB stick or a external HDD which i used to transfer all my Rockband songs with, just make sure whatever data is on either device you copy it becasue the 360 formats the storage device so it can be used on a 360.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I've switched Xbox's at least twice and I've never done this, nor have I ever used the license transfer tool. I'm always online with it so it doesn't matter. I'm always surprised to find out how many people on GAF don't have 24/7 connectivity. Similarly I'm often surprised how many people lug their consoles around to different TVs. I install mine and it pretty much stays put 99.99% of the time.

I have a wife who has her own gamertag, nephews and neices that comes around and some of them have their own gamertag. Since all my content are under my account, none of them will have access to it if I don't transfer them over to a new console. Maybe you need to think about that one.

Top Bottom