• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

399$ Crysis PC: I Took It On! I am triumphant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, i just saw you are getting a AMD cpu.

The answer is NO.
Get a cheap intel micro, like the e2180, and overclock it from 2.0 to 3.0Ghz or even more.

I get over 10k in 3dmark06 with a 3850, a e2180 and a Asus P5k.
And the most important thing: you will be able to do some gigantic upgrading in a future replacing the cheap micro with a e9450 or similar.

Dont fool yourself the AMD good days are over :(

Wes said:
GAF should do more experiments. Good luck to you OP!

I just bought speakers that i can't use for 5 months because they had $100 off. Does that count?
I could call it the "spend now and hopefully save later experiment"? :p

WrikaWrek

Banned
You must've bought a really freaking shitty Motherboard, and some really gheto DDr memory for that price.

And with that Card, lol, you won't be doing Crysis any favors and i can tell you right now you won't make it look better than a console game, you'll be playing it at low Rez, and low to medium settings, and with very jumpy framerate.

And you bought a PC case for 49 already with a PSU? You're gonna have an unstable and with uncertain life expectancy PC man.

SRG01

Bidermaier said:
oh, i just saw you are getting a AMD cpu.

The answer is NO.
Get a cheap intel micro, like the e2180, and overclock it from 2.0 to 3.0Ghz or even more.

I get over 10k in 3dmark06 with a 3850, a e2180 and a Asus P5k.
And the most important thing: you will be able to do some gigantic upgrading in a future replacing the cheap micro with a e9450 or similar.

Dont fool yourself the AMD good days are over :(

A good overclocking Intel motherboard would probably be $$$. Looking at his setup, I don't think he's going to OC, which means a high-end X2 would be the most cost efficient.

edit: Why is everyone pooh-poohing the 3850? At first I thought it was awful, but it's actually a really good performer for its price point.

WrikaWrek said:
You must've bought a really freaking shitty Motherboard, and some really gheto DDr memory for that price.

And with that Card, lol, you won't be doing Crysis any favors and i can tell you right now you won't make it look better than a console game, you'll be playing it at low Rez, and low to medium settings, and with very jumpy framerate.

And you bought a PC case for 49 already with a PSU? You're gonna have an unstable and with uncertain life expectancy PC man.

It should play Crysis at medium at 720P. Crysis at medium looks better than any other game available,

SRG01 said:
A good overclocking Intel motherboard would probably be $$$. Looking at his setup, I don't think he's going to OC, which means a high-end X2 would be the most cost efficient.

edit: Why is everyone pooh-poohing the 3850? At first I thought it was awful, but it's actually a really good performer for its price point.
Exactly. AMD are extremely competitive for people that don't oc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, while the scale will still be impressive, I don't think that rig will handle Crysis all that well at settings that really impress. On medium, the game most certainly does NOT look better than the upper echelon of console games. Even on high, it still lacks something. Once you start to go into Very High territory and custom configs, though, nothing can touch it.

Crysis at medium looks better than any other game available,
I don't agree with that at all. As I said, the scale remains impressive, but the actual visuals take a massive dive in quality. The assets were not designed to be displayed in that manner and often just look wrong.

Gattsu25

Banned
dark10x said:
Hmm, while the scale will still be impressive, I don't think that rig will handle Crysis all that well at settings that really impress. On medium, the game most certainly does NOT look better than the upper echelon of console games. Even on high, it still lacks something. Once you start to go into Very High territory and custom configs, though, nothing can touch it.
I think Medium at 60fps is still in the upper echelon.

spwolf

well not only cheapened out but it is not 399 if you dont have hard drive or kb/mouse included. Thats $80 extra for barely decent stuff.

Now obviously using the cheapest of the cheapest wont last long either... but oh well. I guess it proves PS3 is an good value as it is.

zaidr

Gattsu25 said:
I think Medium at 60fps is still in the upper echelon.

Do you think that system will be doing 60fps at medium? The 3850 isn't really inspiring a whole lot of confidence, and neither is the processor. I'm running Crysis on a 8800GT at about ~25fps on medium. The weird thing about this game is, bumping everything to LOW gives me ~30fps and bumping it all to HIGH gives me ~19fps, so the performance from this game really doesn't come without a total package of good CPU/RAM/VIDEO...you get decent performance with lower hardware, and thats kind of it...

WrikaWrek

Banned
dark10x said:
I don't agree with that at all. As I said, the scale remains impressive, but the actual visuals take a massive dive in quality. The assets were not designed to be displayed in that manner and often just look wrong.

I did some experiment on my friends PC when i played the game. Playing it at 720p on high with the HP config was painful because of the jaggies, i can't even imagine how lame it would look at MEDium settings. And i doubt that card can run it in medium with decent FPS.

P.S - Dude, the tracks, did you got them? Did you listen to them? So?

Kosma

Banned
I'm downloading the Crysis and Bioshock demo's right now. 3Dmark06 hung up on me so I don't have any scores yet guys, sorry! Hopefully tomorrow evening I will have some results.

maus

I've just finished ordering the parts for a pretty awesome rig.

I was as thrifty as possible and the total is at $766 after rebates. Some thanks goes to SleazyC in this thread for pretty much convincing me to do this.

CPU: E8400 Core 2 Duo
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
GPU: Galaxy 8800gt
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800
Case: Antec P182
PSU: PC Power and Cooling 510w SLI

I went for the best value without opting for "cheapo" hardware (except for the oem 8800gt, though it has a custom heatsink that is supposed to be pretty damn good, we'll see). The only things I didn't get a great deal on are the motherboard and the processor, but deals don't come around too often on those. I didn't really build the rig for Crysis but I look foward to playing it. My main goal is Company of Heroes on DX10, and by god i cannot wait.

This seems like a pretty good time to build a pc (at least in the us), with highend hardware at rock bottom prices. I just hope the new wave of tech doesn't hit too soon or too hard.

I'm sure gaf can expect a new thread once i get all this stuff. I'm super pumped.

dark10x said:

:lol
Whilst high looks better, there was no "massive dive" in quality in my game. Admittedly i am running at 1680x1050 so maybe that helps but it certainly wouldn't make up for the disparity between your "massive dive" and my incremental drop.

EDIT:
Like i said, even at medium it looks better than anything else out there. That art style is not as good as Uncharted (or HL2 among others for that matter) but technically it is far superior.

zaidr

maus said:
I didn't really build the rig for Crysis but I look foward to playing it. My main goal is Company of Heroes on DX10, and by god i cannot wait.

Did you 8800GT come with that game? I know Asus is giving away CoH with their 8800GT cards, but they don't have the custom GPU heatsinks/fans, and IMO that really helps a lot. I got a Palit 8800GT just for the better cooling solution, with all the stories of overheating 8800GT's on stock heatsinks.

"Did you 8800GT come with that game? I know Asus is giving away CoH with their 8800GT cards, but they don't have the custom GPU heatsinks/fans, and IMO that really helps a lot. I got a Palit 8800GT just for the better cooling solution, with all the stories of overheating 8800GT's on stock heatsinks."

XFX is giving it away as well with the 8800GT

zaidr

Kamakazie! said:
:lol
Whilst high looks better, there was no "massive dive" in quality in my game. Admittedly i am running at 1680x1050 so maybe that helps but it certainly wouldn't make up for the disparity between your "massive dive" and my incremental drop.

I can vouch for you there as well. Sure enough there is a drop in visual quality at the lower settings, I wouldn't call it a "massive dive" in any sense of the phrase. But what kind of performance are you getting? anywhere close to 60fps?

Also, the demo doesn't run as well as the full game. A friend had problems with the demo, and runs high at 30fps in the final game.

I am more of a console gamer my self, but I wish the best of luck cause one of the reasons I don't play comp games is due to my systems limitations.

Gattsu25

Banned
zaidr said:
Do you think that system will be doing 60fps at medium?
Fuck no.
maus said:

I was as thrifty as possible and the total is at $766 after rebates. Some thanks goes to SleazyC in this thread for pretty much convincing me to do this.

I went for the best value without opting for "cheapo" hardware (except for the oem 8800gt, though it has a custom heatsink that is supposed to be pretty damn good, we'll see). The only things I didn't get a great deal on are the motherboard and the processor, but deals don't come around too often on those. I didn't really build the rig for Crysis but I look foward to playing it. My main goal is Company of Heroes on DX10, and by god i cannot wait.

This seems like a pretty good time to build a pc (at least in the us), with highend hardware at rock bottom prices. I just hope the new wave of tech doesn't hit too soon or too hard.

I'm sure gaf can expect a new thread once i get all this stuff. I'm super pumped.
GREAT fucking case, man. The thing's perfect AFAIK

maus

zaidr said:
Did you 8800GT come with that game? I know Asus is giving away CoH with their 8800GT cards, but they don't have the custom GPU heatsinks/fans, and IMO that really helps a lot. I got a Palit 8800GT just for the better cooling solution, with all the stories of overheating 8800GT's on stock heatsinks.
Nope, own CoH already - this is it: http://www.ncixus.com/products/index.php?sku=27328. Check out the sink on that bad boy; been reading good things about it too. The Palit looks similar, I'd say we made the right choice. Have you OC'd yours? I was hoping to get another 100mhz on the core.

Gattsu25 said:
Fuck no.GREAT fucking case, man. The thing's perfect AFAIK
woohoo. Still not sure what to expect but scoring it on newegg for 60 was an F YEAH moment.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
maus said:

Pretty much my same setup except for a 750 watt PSU, 1066mhz ram and Nforce 780i motherboard. Also got Crysis CE for $46. All for the about $250 more. I gotta drag the thing to work so the IT guy can put it together for me.

"Pretty much my same setup except for a 750 watt PSU, 1066mhz ram and Nforce 780i motherboard. Also got Crysis CE for $46. All for the about $250 more. I gotta drag the thing to work so the IT guy can put it together for me."

Where did you get the collector's edition so cheap?

zoku88

Kadey said:
Pretty much my same setup except for a 750 watt PSU, 1066mhz ram and Nforce 780i motherboard. Also got Crysis CE for $46. All for the about $250 more. I gotta drag the thing to work so the IT guy can put it together for me.
Why would you do that? There should be enough instructions included with the parts so that you could do it yourself, easily.

Vieo

MercuryLS said:
Will GAF PC haters eat crow tonight?

I predict: It will only be playable at 640x480 with a stuttering 19fps on the lowest possible settings. Basically, it will make our old friend Wallguy look awesome.

FFChris

Kamakazie! said:
It should play Crysis at medium at 720P. Crysis at medium looks better than any other game available,

I've played Crysis at medium, and it really don't look better than any console game avaliable.

Maybe what it does in the way of physics and world simulation is more technically impressive, but graphically it's nothing to write home about on settings that low.

maus

Kadey said:
Nice, I fear my inevitable build complications. I heard that the Crucial the high end ram chips are basically just overclocked 667mhz chips. I hope to get mine to maybe 1200 or so. I just hope i don't fry anything with it being my first build and all.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
zoku88 said:
Why would you do that? There should be enough instructions included with the parts so that you could do it yourself, easily.

You don't know me well. I am very clumsy. Did you know I fried $1700 worth of PC parts because of my stupidity? :lol I would have a really adequate setup right now if it weren't for it. I'm not a what you call hands on person. I know certain things about tech but I can't do the manual labor myself.

medrew

spwolf said:
well not only cheapened out but it is not 399 if you dont have hard drive or kb/mouse included. Thats $80 extra for barely decent stuff.

Now obviously using the cheapest of the cheapest wont last long either... but oh well. I guess it proves PS3 is an good value as it is.

You don't have a proper video cable included in the PS3 either, though. That's $60 extra for Sony stuff.

And yes I am being drool on purpose

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
WrikaWrek said:
I did some experiment on my friends PC when i played the game. Playing it at 720p on high with the HP config was painful because of the jaggies, i can't even imagine how lame it would look at MEDium settings. And i doubt that card can run it in medium with decent FPS.

P.S - Dude, the tracks, did you got them? Did you listen to them? So?
Yeah, I listened to many of them. Will have comments soon enough. :D

As for the resolution, well, it depends on the monitor. I use a CRT for PC gaming and 1280x720 looks insane on there. I think 720p on a good display is much nicer than a higher resolution on an LCD, personally. :p

I can vouch for you there as well. Sure enough there is a drop in visual quality at the lower settings, I wouldn't call it a "massive dive" in any sense of the phrase. But what kind of performance are you getting? anywhere close to 60fps?
On medium I can get a pretty solid 60 fps, from what I've tested. It's very smooth, but looks so much worse than Very High customs. It's only impressive as a result of its scale at medium.

High IS quite a bit better, though. Still not up to some of the custom configs out there. At 1280x720, the framerate is above 30 fps most of the time on my rig using high. With maxed out configs, however, it hovers around 30 fps most of the time (which is fine thanks to the motion blur).

zoku88

Kadey said:
You don't know me well. I am very clumsy. Did you know I fried $1700 worth of PC parts because of my stupidity? :lol I would have a really adequate setup right now if it weren't for it. I'm not a what you call hands on person. I know certain things about tech but I can't do the manual labor myself.
Oh well.... *cough* I hope you have a working rig soon, then.

*Btw, what exactly did you do to the poor thing?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Well basically I didn't hook the thing up correctly, messed around with the BIOS and overclocked a card well beyond what I should've and two to three crashes later, the PSU, Motherboard, processor and GPU went. Thing is, I thought it was just the PSU, so I got a new one, put it in and it blew up too. :lol
I'm not good at wiring the thing and all that stuff. Well beyond my comprehension. So now, I won't ever attempt any of that anymore.

RIP. :(

XX.jpg

I only see 1 RAM stick in that image. Did you just go for a 2GB RAM stick @ DDR2 800? If so, return it now and get 2x1GB RAM, which you can pick up for like $78USD on Newegg, with a huge rebate (so it costs $35 USD when all is said and done). It's DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2 RAM. Those will run in Dual Channel.

Well basically I didn't hook the thing up correctly, messed around with the BIOS and overclocked a card well beyond what I should've and two to three crashes later, the PSU, Motherboard, processor and GPU went. Thing is, I thought it was just the PSU, so I got a new one, put it in and it blew up too.
I'm not good at wiring the thing and all that stuff. Well beyond my comprehension. So now, I won't ever attempt any of that anymore.

That's when you RMA everything and say it was DOA

Quick edit: I meant the image in the OP, not in the one directly above.

zaidr said:
Hell no, 30FPS or so. No matter what i do i stay around that sorta level. Think i'm gonna have to sort some custom configs and drop to 1440x900. Only on an original 320mb GTS though.

Gattsu25 said:
Fuck no.GREAT fucking case, man. The thing's perfect AFAIK
Yep, Antec cases are solid and great value. They make very good PSUs as well. I have built a few PCs with budget Antec cases and all have been pretty much flawless for the money.

FFChris said:
I've played Crysis at medium, and it really don't look better than any console game avaliable.

Maybe what it does in the way of physics and world simulation is more technically impressive, but graphically it's nothing to write home about on settings that low.
Well we disagree then. Like i said, the art style isn't great but technically it is far superior to anything else out there, even at medium settings (settings "that low"? eh? Medium is medium, not low).

zaidr

maus said:
Nope, own CoH already - this is it: http://www.ncixus.com/products/index.php?sku=27328. Check out the sink on that bad boy; been reading good things about it too. The Palit looks similar, I'd say we made the right choice. Have you OC'd yours? I was hoping to get another 100mhz on the core.

woohoo. Still not sure what to expect but scoring it on newegg for 60 was an F YEAH moment.

Well, mine came OC'd from the box. I couldn't find one anywhere that was stock with the better fan. All others had the stock one slot cooling solution :/

So, mine is running perfectly at 650 core / 1900 memory, but I've heard of this card do 740 core / 2000 mem, so go at it! I haven't had a chance to get down to OCing mine yet, but with that nice sink on yours, I can't imagine why you couldn't at least get it to 700. Good luck!

zaidr

Kadey said:
Well basically I didn't hook the thing up correctly, messed around with the BIOS and overclocked a card well beyond what I should've and two to three crashes later, the PSU, Motherboard, processor and GPU went. Thing is, I thought it was just the PSU, so I got a new one, put it in and it blew up too. :lol

RIP. :(

XX.jpg

Is that an SLI system? Damn...I'll shed a tear for what could have been....

And yeah, I see 2 sticks of ram in there, not one, so...

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Xeke said:
I can tell you for sure that it would not go towards trying to build a cheap PC to play Crysis on.
If I had 399 right now, I would buy food and pay my credit card with it :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Four actually which was useless on my part since I'm running 32 bit XP. You learn something new every day. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom