• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS and Switch. It's hard to go back.

stuminus3

No problems here. The 3DS might have been subpar garbage (in comparison to what I was used to), but so was the PS2 and the NES - and I still play those too. A good game is a good game.

Rodin

Not really. The 3DS is a legit portable system, whereas the Switch is too large, fragile, expensive and cumbersome to really fill the same niche. The thing cost almost $500 Australian, so I really don't see myself ever leaving the house with it.

Wat.

Cartho

Not really. The 3DS is a legit portable system, whereas the Switch is too large, fragile, expensive and cumbersome to really fill the same niche. The thing cost almost $500 Australian, so I really don't see myself ever leaving the house with it. I don't really really mind the lower quality screen, since I'm usually playing stuff like Picross or an Ace Attorney game anyway.

Too large? Do you own an iPad / other tablet? Because the switch is smaller than that. Cumbersome? Again, most people are going to carry a switch in a bag. Just like, I suspect, most people carry a 3DS in a bag. By the time you have put a wallet / phone / keys into pockets you are unlikely to want to cram a 3DS in there as well.

It costs almost $500 australian so you don't want to leave the house with it. Does that mean you never leave the house with an iPad / smart phone / laptop? Because most of those devices would cost more than a Switch and I bet you probably take them out and about.

Not trying to attack you here but these seem like strange arguments to me.

Not trying to attack you here but these seem like strange arguments to me.

I mean, we're comparing it to the 3DS in this thread. The Switch is the biggest dedicated gaming handheld I know of, it can't be taken anywhere without a carry case because of the plastic screen, and it's too heavy and wide to hold one-handed for playing something like Picross. Large, fragile, cumbersome, like I said. I'm more than happy to take my much more travel-friendly 3DS with me when I go somewhere.

Waji

Yes I can't go back to the 3ds for a lot of reason.
The fact that I can play with in any way is definitely a big difference.
I have the oldest type of 3ds so certainly not the best experience, but I already played with bigger ones and I'm sure I would still not want to play the 3ds that much even if I got one.

I liked the Vita over the 3ds but now the Switch is clearly first, by far.
It would be easier to get back on the Vita but I'd still prefer to get anything I can on the Switch instead.

volcarona

I don't get why people have trouble going back to lower resolutions or lower frame rates. It's like when people tell me that when I get a gaming PC and "see the light" and "ascend", I'll never be able to go back to playing games on a console. I can go from playing Yakuza 0 at 1080p 60fps to playing Spyro at 240p 30fps no problem.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i only got to play my Switch for a couple hours before having to send in the joycon. haven't go it back yet so have been stuck playing a 3DS XL and it is awful. the screens are too small/low res. I don't know how I thought this was acceptable. Can't wait to play my Switch again. Once I'm finished with Pokemon Sun then I'll get rid of the 3DS XL. it feels so dated.

I find the switch to be surprisingly travel friendly once you pop off the joy conns. Also, not any issue of fragility or even bothering with travel cases. I never get cases for anything, phones or any of that shit. I take my switch around with me, not a scratch yet, but probably not smart.

The 3DS is more travel friendly, but not by as much as one might think. The XL, even the OG is quite fat to just pop into your pocket, but it goes along with backpack or sashel really well. In which case, the Switch is about as portable. But, of course the 3ds is objectively smaller.

Yet, I never actually put my 3ds in my pocket, usually in my bag. The only specific situation I can see the 3ds being clearly more travel friendly would be if it is cold and one has a jacket and space to hide it somewhere there.

Going back what the OP said, I am also having a tough time going back to any of that shit, even my PS4 Pro, but I suspect it largely be also because Breathe of the Wild is the greatest open world game ever, and just one of the greats fullstop, imo. That might be coloring how I view the Switch.

But, the fears of another misguided Nintendo attempt are cleanly put to bed. The thing is selling like crazy. Everyone loves it. The thing is going to be huge, because it's actually awesome.

Falchion

The only problem I have is that when I look at my Switch and 3DS when I'm going to be out of the house, it's hard to not take the Switch. I'm sure once I beat Zelda though it'll be right back to the 3DS where I have a lot more games to play.

It was always difficult tolerating 3DS' awful screen. I bought a new N3DSXL for Monster Hunter and could not bring myself to buy any other games depite knowing how good many of them are. Nintendo needs a way to sell the 3DS library to people like me.

I already use an iPad that has a 2048 x 1536 display so I've gotten used to going to lower res handhelds. NBD. I prefer the 3DS as a portable compared to Switch for sure. Wish switch was lighter.

redcrayon

I mean, we're comparing it to the 3DS in this thread. The Switch is the biggest dedicated gaming handheld I know of, it can't be taken anywhere without a carry case because of the plastic screen, and it's too heavy and wide to hold one-handed for playing something like Picross. Large, fragile, cumbersome, like I said. I'm more than happy to take my much more travel-friendly 3DS with me when I go somewhere.
Size aside, I've mever taken a Vita or 3DS on my commute without a case either. A clamshell design doesn't mean I'm happy with a device cover getting scratched in my bag, or wrecking the sticks.

I played Mario Maker 3ds after playing the switch for a month and it wasn't too bad but it was sprite work, if I go and play monster hunter generations it'll hurt me even though the game is super fun.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I agree 100%. The Switch's screen getting scratched has made me nervous like no handheld before it, and as someone who doesn't carry around a backpack, purse, or other travel bag daily, doing so just for the Switch is going to be irritating.

Apenheul

Maybe it's because I always have 3D on but I never had a problem with the 3DS' screen in the first place. After Zelda on Switch I immediately went back to finish Shin Megami Tensei IV on 3DS and not once did it cross my mind that the resolution was lower or the colors were less pronounced. I just enjoy great games with good art styles regardless of the hardware they run on.

anyone answering yes please also state if you ever play retro games on older systems or not.
Yes and I'm playing Super Castlevania IV as we speak.

It was hard to ever play on the og or xl one. can't speak for the new 3ds. it's the worst console I've ever had from a hardware standpoint, to the point where I found it hard to keep an interest in the decent library.

Chindogg

After playing Switch with a larger, clearer screen it's really hard to go back to 3DS. I love my 3DS but my eyes just hand handle it much anymore.

nickerous

No problems at all. Love the 3ds. Love the switch too, but mine is a Zelda machine right now. 3ds has an actual library to play right now.

Hattori

Banned
I just played MK7 a few minutes ago, it's not so bad. I do have to say the 3DS OS is severely slow and dated coming from the the lightning fast Switch OS.

I don't find it difficult at all. Rubbish comment, tbqh. Dual screen and touch gameplay offer something different, and enough to keep me interested. By the same route of reasoning, backwards compatibility on past systems and Virtual Console would be pretty much pointless.

No, it's not hard to go back. I know what resolution the system is, and Switch is not exactly the first HD system. I go back to older games because they're fun, but I don't expect them to magically be HD unless I'm playing on an emulator; I remember how they look and can adjust with no problems. Also 3DS' screen is the only glassless steroscopic 3D screen out there so the way games look on still remains unique to me.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
No. The 3DS is far easier to take with me on longer trips. I also find myself frequently missing the second screen on Switch.

DR2K

Banned
I wasn't playing 3DS games for their visual splendor. I was playing them because they're fun.

With Switch, you only have one game. Metacritic darling or not that shit gets old.

I have no issues going between my Switch and n3DSXL. I still have DQ7/8,SMTIV/Apocalypse and some other games to finish. I would obviously want the resolution to be higher on those games, but I don't have much choice.

Not hard at all. My 3DS has a ton of games and is legitimately a portable device. Switch has a long long way to go to match it with games and will need a redesign or two to become as portable.

entremet

Yeah, this is a good question.

I go from PS4 to NES just fine.
It's not just fidelity, but form factor and build quality. I'm playing Shovel Knight on the Switch and it destroys the 3DS version due to the better screen and build quality.

Graphics are identical.

TreIII

Yeah, it has been a struggle. About the only things that may force me to go back to my 3DS is the Kirby MP game and the MonHun Stories localization slated for later this year, and all the VC games I've accumulated.

But Switch is, without a doubt, my handheld of choice, now. I can't wait for games like Monster Hunter and PKMN to make the jump so that I can enjoy those games on the Switch.

Fritz

I can totally relate OP. I've been playing 3DS exclusively for the longest time but haven't touched it ever since the Switch launch. For what it's worth I neither game on 3DS nor Switch during commute or while traveling just at home.

Maybe it's because I always have 3D on but I never had a problem with the 3DS' screen in the first place. After Zelda on Switch I immediately went back to finish Shin Megami Tensei IV on 3DS and not once did it cross my mind that the resolution was lower or the colors were less pronounced. I just enjoy great games with good art styles regardless of the hardware they run on.

Yes and I'm playing Super Castlevania IV as we speak.

I would say it's precisely because of the 3d. I'm in the minority of genuinely loving the 3d in certain games. But when you turn off the 3d, the screens poor quality and harshness comes into focus. I'm not sure exactly why, but the 3d softens the image a lot.

Vita had an OLED years ago, and that was gorgeous. Imagine if the switch had an OLED screen? Swoon. That's asking just a bit too much from cost cutting Nintendo who would never deem it to be significant enough for the vast majority of buyers, and they'd be right. If reports of how much it cost to make the Switch, Nintendo is already in slightly unfamiliar waters. I don't think they'd ever make an OLED one. Remember how garbage the Wii U tablet screen was? Love the Wii U, but man, that screen was some 80s screen tech they unearthed from a garbage dump to save a bucks.

On another note I'm really sad we'll never get a game like Mario 3d Land, another 3d Mario game in 3d. That shit was legit.

vesp

While I'm not in love with the switch ergonomicly in handheld mode, I have had a hard time playing 3ds games for years in comparison to the vita. Retro stuff looks fine and is playable but anything that tries to look somewhat modern looks so bad with the terrible resolution and dithering.

inner-G

Banned
It was easy to get me to drop the 3DS, even though it has DQ games.

I always hated the resolution. I hated the nub/lack of nub and plus it had terrible speakers. Some of these probably stood out more because I also had a Vita for a while.

Switch is like an upgrade all-around. I kept my DSiXL, though. For some reason I like that gen more than 3DS /shrug

Spman2099

There is a new Culdcept coming for it, so that means I will buy one more 3DS game, but I think it will permanently be a Culdcept machine from that point on. Until the day that a Culdcept game comes out on literally any other modern system.

JMizzlin

Very, very hard to go back to Pokemon Moon. I desperately hope there's a Switch port as I'd love to do all the training stuff on TV.

No, since other than the great screen the switch is the most uncomfortable handheld experience I ever had. It's nice to have "console games on the go" but for me It's way better as a home console.

It's been hard to "go back" to the 3ds since even the vita launched, which is why I basically bought and sold a 3ds each time a fire emblem came out.

I hate the 3ds and was bummed to see it get more Kirby games over the switch

I'm not having any issues going between the Switch and my 3DSes/Vita. I enjoyed playing on them prior to having the Switch, and I enjoy them now. That said, the Switch is leaps and bounds beyond them.

That said, I don't see myself buying much more (if any, honestly) software for my 3DS - right now nothing is really on my radar, but I will certainly continue to play the huge library of games I have.

NolbertoS

Although I game on all consoles and some PC and mobile, I'm mostly a Nintendo fan in terms of time spent on games. I do enjoy my PS4 and XB1 a lot and my Vita still gets decent use due to its excellent indie support.

Recently, I was able to get a Switch via the Prime member deal. Hardware wise it's definitely the best iteration of the handheld concept for me, mostly based on the huge screen, to be honest.

What prime deal do we get for buying a Switch??

Branson

I've never even had an issue going from top end PC to ps1 games either. So nah. It's not an issue for me. There are many great games on 3DS and that's more important.

Top Bottom