• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS and Switch. It's hard to go back.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't have a Switch yet, due to lack of games, but considering I can switch between PS Vita and Game Boy with no issues (provided there is enough light in the room), I suppose changing between Switch and 3DS will be no issue either. Other than lack of protability of the former.

Nester99

The 3DS is dead to me im trying to sell all my stuff and maybe get a switch down the road. Unlike most I hate the 3DS and even good games are ruined by its awfulness, my hand cramps in like 2 min of use and i even got a grip and it helps push that to 3 min all while being an XL. Worst Nintendo handheld I ever had in that department and it ruined games.

I agree.

I cant play my 3ds longer than half an hour before it gets really uncomfortable to hold. I enjoy long muliti stretches of playing on ps3/4 wiiu. so its a bit frustrating. I really want to finish play Bravery(s) and DQ7/8 but i just cant sit and play the 3ds for any reasonable length of time no matter how many times i try.

It's the future in my opinion. Can understand casuals buying PS4/Bone but don't understand Pro/scorpio market and pixel counting etc.

But I've been a PC gamer since 1985 and always had a Nintendo/Sega Console as they had different games. Steam streaming and Switches Hybrid functionality is all I need.

I found myself barely going back to my 3DS. Not that I don't like the system, I just don't have any games backlogged, and I don't plan to purchase any for it soon as most of my time has been dedicated to switch. Hell, I've barely touched my PS4 since getting the switch. When switch gets a proper virtual console I'll play it even less. I have a few SNES games on the 3DS but I hardly play them. I've bought KOF'98 and Waku Waku 7 and I'm just enjoying retro games infinitely more on switch. If it wasn't for a few titles like OOT/Majoras Mask 3D and portable Mario golf, I'd be tempted to trade the 3DS in.

I thought the same but I recently picked up DQ8 for the 3DS (never played it) and it's still such an amazing system, the visuals actually look damn good.

3DS was hard to play even in 2011. The screen/graphics combo sent me back to the PS1 era and the thing was impossible to hold comfortably for longer than 20 minutes if you have adult sized hands.

I've seen and held a Switch and thank fucking god Nintendo didn't make another turd. Just need mo games and I'm in.

Spoit

And it will look horrible. The Awakening engine was fine for 3DS, but is so outdated today. I will buy Echoes anyway, so I know it's fine to wait a little more for a Fire Emblem in a new engine.

Yeah, I tried going back to it after FEH, but the grainy low-poly 3d models just didn't sit right after the beautiful spritework on the phone game.

I still have a huge backlog for my 2DS, so Switch isn't even on my radar yet. I have no trouble going from PS4 to 2DS though--a good game is a good game.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Same with me. I need to go back to Pokemon Sun and Fire Emblem Fates some day!

anyone answering yes please also state if you ever play retro games on older systems or not.

I do, but my issues with the 3DS come mostly down to ergonomics and the quality of the screen itself as opposed to some lame "muh Graphics". It's just not a comfortable device to use for a long period imo.

The Dude

Old games are always easy to go back to. I don't get the crowd of people that are like OMGz I can't touch my 3ds now.

I want games on my switch as well, but I'll always be able to pick up a 3ds and play. I'm a big Pc gamer and big graphics is my bag, but I get what the 3ds is and what it's going for

Mega

Banned
anyone answering yes please also state if you ever play retro games on older systems or not.

Yes.

The 3DS screen is terrible quality and too low res for PS2/GC/Wii-level graphics. 240p and a cheap LCD is atrocious when we were playing these games at 480i minimum on better looking CRTs. I own a bunch of retro consoles, from NES to Wii, I play them on CRT monitors AND with an HD Upscaler on my plasma, and the same/similar games all look so much better. I'm still in the middle of an OOT 3D playthrough and I'm not sure I can continue. The PQ is horrible coming from BOTW on Switch... I may just replay in on N64 on my CRT.

I maintain that 3DS should've been a 480p handheld with a little more oomph. If you've seen upres'd 3DS you know the visuals and assets suffer from 240p. That SD res should only be for retro and retro-style 2D games.

FYI, I have a couple of backlit modded GBAs and that's also a challenge to play. Pretty bad ghosting and the worst ever handheld audio.

Nintendo hardware feels one generation behind compared to Sony and Microsoft since the Nintendo DS released in 2004 and I never had a problem playing with it as long as the games are fun.

When the Switch gets a strong library of games, I'll consider parting with my 3DS. I love my system, but I'm at a point where I expect to add only a handful of games to my library.

However, it will take about 2 or 3 years to get to that point. I think I will have beaten all my games.

xealo

Its not like I ever played games on the 3ds for their graphics or image quality. It's always been bad in that regard. Whether the games are good is the prio with playing on a 3ds, which is almost certainly the case at this point in its lifespan.

The 3DS will always be an essential gaming system to me because of the 3D aspect that no other system can duplicate. I love glasses free 3D and the New 3DS made it even better. I knew the Switch wouldn't have it, but I was still a little disappointed when the reveal occurred and 3D was absent. There is just something awesome about parallax scrolling levels in games such as Shovel Knight.

Currently, I'm playing Kirby Triple Deluxe for the 3DS, and the 3D just elevates moments within the game (such as the trains coming at the screen from the background, and when Kirby sucks in everything off the screen). Not to say I don't love the Switch also - I'm halfway through Blaster Master Zero and it's so good.

Sojiro

Do you find it hard going back to the 3DS, or other older handhelds due to the nice big screens of the Switch?

Not in the slightest. I play a good deal of retro games and lower visual fidelity has never bothered me. I do really appreciate the switch's screen though, its damn sexy, but I am happy playing good games regardless of where they are.

Weebos

Banned
I don't find it hard to go back to the 3DS at all, and I doubt we will see very many 3DS ports.

The second screen is the one big thing I miss from the Switch, I'm always happy to return to my 3DS because of it.

ironmang

Not at all. I adjusted fine when I got a 3DS after having a Vita for 2 years. I'm sure I could do the same with Switch to 3DS.

fernoca

No problems at all. Heck, I've been alternating 3DS, Wii U gamepad, Vita and Switch over the last month. Now a Galaxy S8. Still love how Poochy and Yoshi looks on 3DS, Mario Maker and a few others I've been playing recently too.

Then throw 1080p image on consoles. Still looks great.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It's not hard to go back for me. I never thought the 3DS screen was anything special to begin with. I'm sure Fire Emblem Echoes will look like crap on the screen, just like every other 3DS FE game, but I'll still play it and love it.

Isn't the switch screen still below the old PS Vita in terms of quality?

Not necessarily? This hasn't been measured yet as far as I know. The only things we know is that the Switch screen is a 720p LCD while the Vita was a 540p OLED. Resolution is a pretty objective thing so if anything the Switch screen is better from that standpoint.

The Switch screen is pretty darn high quality from what I have used.

BooJoh

I've been juggling Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap and in most respects it's not hard to go back at all. What is bothering me more and more as I play both of these games is the shortcomings of both systems in comparison to each other.

When I play on my 3DS, I miss the ability to dock and play on the TV if I want to (though it's not a huge deal since I've always been a handheld gamer first, but the hybrid nature is really the #1 selling point for Switch for me.)

When I play on Switch I miss the d-pad (yes, I use my 3DS's d-pad regularly and without cramping or other comfort issues) and the stereoscopic 3D. I also vastly prefer the size of my n3DS for on-the-go gaming vs the massive Switch which requires two pockets and assembling/disassembling the system - or a carrying case - to play on-the-go.

The screen sizes have almost no effect on me. n3DS's screen has always been fine for me and I only feel the Switch's screen size is a necessity with console-style HD games. It would be nice for Netflix/Youtube if there were apps for those on Switch.

If they release a Switch mini in the future I am the target audience, so long as it can still dock to my TV.

I agree with this sentiment. I've got so many games that I love on my New 3DS, but its controls are so unspeakably uncomfortable for my hands. The Switch's JoyCon and Pro controllers, alternatively, feel so lovely that I hesitate when I think about going back to the cramped buttons on the 3DS and that awful circle pad it uses in place of a legitimate joystick.

Isn't the switch screen still below the old PS Vita in terms of quality?

No, I don't think so at all. The 5" OLED on my Vita has very deep blacks, but the colors truly are oversaturated. The Switch has much better color accuracy (I've heard that the Vita 2000 models do as well).

My Switch also has much better viewing angles than my OLED Vita; the colors get washed out more when looking at my Vita from the side or from above. I've noted the viewing angle differences purely to compare the screens of the two devices. Clearly it's not as important for the Vita to have good viewing angles as it is for the Switch (think two-player tabletop splitscreen).

TLZ

Banned
I think it has been proven that the switch is the most durable portable system yet. That also includes phones. Plastic screen may be prone to scratching but with a screen protector for that issue, you are way less at risk of the screen shattering when dropping. I'd take plastic for durability due to carrying it in a bag when I go off.

Proven by who? By you? Show the durability tests please.

And the 3ds is a clamshell. You don't need to buy anything extra to protect it like the switch needs to.

patientx

I played Zelda for over 100 hours and later kept finished Snake Pass too still playing a few minutes a day but later I am hooked on MH:XX on my New 3DS XL. I have played over 50 hours now and while I am wishing for the game to come to Switch it is still very fun especially after I changed the little "nob" with a psp "nob". It made the device more usable with the game.

zenspider

When Fire Emblem and Culdcept drop, I'm back on it, but yeah - I dropped DQVIII like a hot potato. It feels so old.

People going back to older games...Are you emulating?

Because that's not the same at all and you know it.

I play old PS1 and 2 games no problem. But I also use my PC and up the IQ. Going back to actual ps1 hardware on an HDTV is completely different ball game. The 3ds's resolution is almost unbearable at times.

Vanadium

Nope. I still carry my 3DS because it's just a lot easier to carry around and the games I still have on it are better suited to my days traveling. The Switch still isn't really there to me, it's not as easy to tote around and there's just not many games. I beat Zelda and put it on eBay. I'm still eagerly awaiting the FE Gaiden remake and still play my 3DS all the time. I actually don't miss the Switch at all.

TwiztidElf

Yeah, I am.
I have some unfinished business in Fantasy Life, but I just find myself pissing around in post game BotW instead.

I will definitely be getting Culdcept though, and I'd also love to have another run through of Advance Wars Days of Ruin before it's packed away.

Nah. I play my Switch at home 99% of the time while my 2DS and Vita are on bus duty.

Graphics don't really matter to me as long as the games are good, and thanks to the Switch, I've been able to get SO MANY 3DS games for dirt cheap. With such a strong library, I'll be playing it for years.

For most games, it's no trouble. Pokemon, Bravely Default/Second, Fire Emblem, etc. However, I recently decided to play Xenoblade 3D since a sequel is coming, and the resolution is bothering me so much for some reason. I'm probably going to rip my Wii copy and play it on Dolphin instead. Other than that single outlier, I have no problem going back at all.

Not hard to go back to.

There's a metric style visual gulf, like going from an Xbox to Xbox One, but I always considered the 2DS insanely comfy. First Ninty handheld I've been able to say that about since the OG GBA. Which melted into my hands like butter. Too bad about the lack of backlight.

Going between Switch and 2DS is only a problem in the visual quality sense. The visuals on display and screen. Huge differences. But they are both pretty comfy systems to play for extended periods.

I did not feel that way about any model of 3DS, DS, or GBA SP/Micro. Hand crampers maximus.

Great games though.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
I haven't had the pleasure of touching a switch yet, but I do own both a New 3DS and a Vita. And I already have a tough enough time going back to my 3DS just from the Vita.

2 analog sticks just feels right. And the OLD screen looks great. Dealing with the 240p resolution on 3DS stats to wear me down. Not to mention the low power of the 3DS severely limits the types of experiences possible on it. That's why I mostly play RPGS on 3DS and indies and action game on vita.

I can't wait to buy a switch. Besides the low battery life it seems like a system I'd really enjoy.

Aiustis

Tried my roommates and honestly not that impressed. The Switch can be carried around but it's too cumbersome and not that portable. Added to the fact that I'm really gameplay enthusiastic and not wowed by pretty graphics only thing it's convinced me off is that I don't want one.

Given how garbage the 3DS hardware is, it was hard to go back from it from the Vita, never mind the Switch.
I'm not sure if I agree.

I think most native res 3DS games that were built around the low resolution ( huge focus on primary colours like in MK7 /3D Land/ Animal Crossing/Fantasy Life) look outright better on a native 3DS screens than all those ghastly sub native resolution, low resolution textures Vita games.
I think the only really pretty 3D game on the Vita is Freedom Wars.

The Vita's display is objectively superior, true, but it couldn't flex it's muscles all that often imo.

I've already had this issue with 3DS <=> Vita. When 3DS games actually had 3D it was quite easier, but now that most seem to have entirely forgo the one original feature on the system, it's a strict downgrade from the Vita in every way.

I have yet to get a Switch or even see one in person, but I wouldn't be surprised if I get the same re: Vita <=> Switch. Going back to the 3DS would be truly painful.

Top Bottom