• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS and Switch. It's hard to go back.

Protome

I'm not sure if I agree.

I think most native res 3DS games that were built around the low resolution ( huge focus on primary colours like in MK7 /3D Land/ Animal Crossing/Fantasy Life) look outright better on a native 3DS screens than all those ghastly sub native resolution, low resolution textures Vita games.
I think the only really pretty 3D game on the Vita is Freedom Wars.

The Vita's display is objectively superior, true, but it couldn't flex it's muscles all that often imo.
The bigger issue for me is that the 3DS screens are just straight up bad screens. They are low res, sure but their brightness and colours are terrible too. They were several years outdated when they launched nevermind now. Nintendo cut a ton of corners in terms of quality to push their 3D gimmick which ended up being a terrible idea.

Also there are plenty of pretty 3D games on Vita but i'm also not sure why you arbitrarily limit to 3D? 2D games look significantly better on Vita too.

Boylamite

My switch is collecting dust right now since I completed botw. I am a retro collecter so I have no problems going back to older systems. When it comes to handhelds, the only deal breaker for me is lack of a backlit screen. I just picked up a gba ags-101 yesterday and it's been bliss.
Right now most of my gaming is done on my NES Classic and dragon warrior VIII on 3DS.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
no because the games for the 3DS have to be developed around the hardware's limitations so I expect them to look and perform the way they look and perform. The Switch, for me, is still a home console that can be played on the go, not a true handheld (too big)

D.Lo

Yeah it's not that I can't go back, 2D stuff is still fine, but it's just that I wish they were on Switch instead. The new Pikmin game looks very fun but I'd much rather play it on the Switch.

anyone answering yes please also state if you ever play retro games on older systems or not.
That's not how it works. 2D stuff is still great on 3DS, especially the Sega 3D classics. Virtual console would be okay except for the square pixels ruining either scaling or aspect ratio. But 240p 3D is just so pixely. N64 and PS1 had very low detail/poly counts, so 240p was okay on a CRT, but 3DS has higher detail, more modern 3D graphics, so the extreme aliasing is more of an issue.

I have tried to will myself to return to finish the Fire Emblem games and 2 recent Dragon Quest games but can't bring myself to it. They're all big JRPGs as well which doesn't help. Switch is definitely my favourite console right now and will probably stick with I am Setsuna once I finish Zelda...

I will return to the 3DS once I pick up Shin Megami 4 + Overclocked tho but that is the exception.

Branson

My switch is collecting dust right now since I completed botw. I am a retro collecter so I have no problems going back to older systems. When it comes to handhelds, the only deal breaker for me is lack of a backlit screen. I just picked up a gba ags-101 yesterday and it's been bliss.
Right now most of my gaming is done on my NES Classic and dragon warrior VIII on 3DS.

What. Did I miss something

entremet

I think people are missing it's not just graphics. I still play retro games. It's form factor and ergonomics as well. With form factor being the size of the screen, not just quality.

I'd prefer to play those 240p blown up 3DS games on Switch even if they would look like Vaseline smudged messes lol.

Rootbeer

Banned
I want 3DS ports, sure. In fact... if I had it my way, from the moment the Switch hit retail, all 3DS exclusives would have Switch ports as well. Sadly what we've seen so far from Nintendo 1st and 3rd party software is this is not going to be the norm... so for us handheld players we are forced to choose between carrying our 3DS around or our Switch, depending on the software releases at the moment... unless you really have the capacity to carry both around. While they are both small, carrying both is a hassle.

I'm a little salty that games like Monster Hunter Stories won't get ported to the Switch and I'm forced to keep my N3DSXL out of retirement just so I can play these games on a much worse looking screen(s)... I'll deal with it, I guess.

I don't plan on ever getting rid of my N3DSXL... but I'd like to start winding down my commitment to bringing it everywhere when I'd rather bring my Switch.

If you've hacked your 3DS and set up retroarch on it, the screen is really, really good for emulators on retro games. Especially when you have it set to pixel perfect mode.

That's the one time that having a lower resolution can actually be helpful.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I rarely have issues playing older games or on older hardware.

My only barrier is if a game plays like shit. Playing some N64 games is hard because of their super low framerate and blurry visuals.

Top Bottom