• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS firmware update - 4/25 FOLDERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D7HYs.jpg

Please excuse if old.

shots fired lol

I don't have a PS3, but Nintendo has yet to make a UI for anything as smooth and wonderful as iOS. With the resolution of the screen, you can clearly read the name of your iOS folders and you can see the icons that are within. I don't know what's to like better.

Folder names and icons? Blah.

My biggest issue with iOS folders is that it's excessively limited in how much you can store in it (12 apps/20 for iPad), and after the first 9, you can't see the remaining 3. I have so many apps that my screen went from cluttered as hell to just cluttered.

My main reason of liking it over iOS is because 60 > 12, which means clutter issues aren't really an issue, and it looks much cleaner.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
What i'd like them to do next update...
make the files that are inside the folders spin on the top screen..

Luigiv

They should have character faces to label the folders better.

You could use Waluigi for the games you rarely play.

Like I said shortly after the Nintendo Direct, they should give us some options.

First letter
First App
Last App
Pre-designed Icons (Including VC systems, software categories, Nintendo characters, genres, etc)
Custom Icons

Let us choose, Nintendo! Let us choose!

Did anyone notice that the E-shop has gotten a reshuffle as well? Options and Chart Icons are now in a second row beneath the actual shop content displays. It does a lot to increase functionality I'd say and goes to show that Nintendo is indeed listening to feedback (how did we end up this way? lol)

The system just froze on me while arranging folders. :(

It restored itself after ~10 seconds, but it gave me a warning that an error had occurred and told me I needed to save my progress and restart the system. It seems fine now, but I wonder what upset it?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm trying to figure out why I haven't gotten a SwapNote alert yet after a friend sent me messages 20 minutes ago. SwapNote is currently sitting inside a folder... but no blue sphere of notification is appearing.

Other folks -have- had alerts appear for items inside folders, right?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I do hope that we'll be able to change the folder's colour in the future. Obviously they wanted to get this update out so focuses on getting the core functionality right.

olimpia84

This is what I have

JsMcIl.jpg

Black star: virtual console games
e: eshop games like Pushmo, Zen Pinball
White star: ambassador games
Music symbol: media like netflix, Video
S: standard apps like Pokedex, AR games, Download play
3: 3D classics

Here's hoping they add color choices and icon support in the near future

I just update.

Y8c6f.png

1 Applications (Activity Log, Mii Maker, Nintendo Video, etc)
2 eShop/DsWare (Tetris Party, Four Swords, Pullblox, Colors 3D)
3 NES (10 ambassadors games, plus Excitebike and Kid Icarus 3D classics)
4 Game Boy (Metroid II, Super Mario Land 1 & 2, Wario Land, Link's Awakening)
5 GBA (10 ambassadors games)

Offscreen are the settings, the eShop access and a sixth folder for demos.

So neat.

Folders are great, but:

-- Need more colour/icon/labeling options. The current all-blue, one character only set-up is a bit too restrictive.
-- Perhaps option for displaying more folder contents at once, like the main menu option? My DSiWare folder is a couple of page long already, and it would be good to see them all at a glance.

Otherwise, glad to have them!

-- Perhaps option for displaying more folder contents at once, like the main menu option? My DSiWare folder is a couple of page long already, and it would be good to see them all at a glance.

You can shrink and expand the icons in folders just like you can on the main menu, so you should be able to set it to see them all.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Folders are great, but:

-- Need more colour/icon/labeling options. The current all-blue, one character only set-up is a bit too restrictive.

Otherwise, glad to have them!

You can resize the icon.

MicH

Great update! I also had so many updates waiting, primarily on the NES games. FInally got though them all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've set it up so my 1st screen is full with three rows meaning new software will appear on the second screen. This is where I'll temporally keep demos since I see no need to keep them around so long that I'll need a folder for them.

Chopper

I told myself I wouldn't get excited about folders. But here I am on Wednesday morning, furiously updating my 3DS.

It's nice to have bigger icons back, now that I can reduce the number of icons to show off.

1. NES
2. Gameboy
3. GBA
4.DSiWare

And just off-screen:

5. Misc [rarely used] Apps
Trailers
Demos

As it is I have everything "3D" avaialble from my homescreen. It's nice to have actual 3DS software on display, and I currently have a space ready and waiting for VVVVV. I might pop my demos in there for the time being.

I'm too OCD to tolerate multiple folders called "G", so numbering them will do for the time being, but I echo everyone's desire for icon support. Even if it's just a little Gameboy that sits in the middle.

I refuse to hide away my suh-weet Ambassador Certificate. :)

Decent update. Cheers Nintendo.

Also new on the eShop is a download later option while you download a game. So if the game is at like 50% and you have to go you just press download later and stay at that 50%. Neat.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's in you Junk folder? No Gameboy games?

The only unbeaten GB game I have is Balloon Kid, which is sitting on my main screen. All my newly purchased unbeaten games are on my main screen.

The only reason I'm using the GBA, NES, and DSiWare folders are because of my Ambassador backlog, and because of my girlfriend's DSi->3DS system transfer. Really I could rename those folders: Backlog (GBA), Backlog (NES), and Backlog (DSiWare).

Junk folder includes Swapnote, Nintendo Wifi Zone, Safety Instructions, Netflix, Ambassador Certificate, Pokedex 3d, and other shit I'd never ever in a thousand years use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom