• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS firmware update - 4/25 FOLDERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoRausch

Nintendo Power has an article in this month's issue about WayForward adding five news levels, enhancing the 3D effect, and adding a quick-retry option. All of these are free, by the way, and the price for the game will stay the same. No date on the update, though. The mag just says, "very soon."

Oh thats cool! Strange that there is no news about this beside NP.
Thanks for the heads up!

Hero

Echoing the sentiment that Nintendo needs to let us have different icons for folders like NES/SNES/GBC/GBA, etc. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc as well.

Goodbye forever, Health & Safety Information icon! Suck my dick.

Christ, I am so glad to be rid of that thing uglying up my home screen.

This literally made laugh out loud, thanks for that.

Bumhead

Banned
Cool, you even get a that blue orb on your folder.

Aye, I think that's for the Eurosport app which I have never, ever used.

Not pictured above are the H&S, Download Play and Settings Apps, which I've left at the very far end of the home screen. Nobody ever scrolls that far anyway, although I might shift Settings onto the main grid and pull another 3 apps (maybe the Mii ones) with it so all 3 rows have 4 icons on.

I love the practicality and function of having folders but I hate the way I usually spend about 2 hours messing around with them until I find a setup I'm happy with.

Nintendo Power has an article in this month's issue about WayForward adding five news levels, enhancing the 3D effect, and adding a quick-retry option. All of these are free, by the way, and the price for the game will stay the same. No date on the update, though. The mag just says, "very soon."

That's awesome!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Echoing the sentiment that Nintendo needs to let us have different icons for folders like NES/SNES/GBC/GBA, etc. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc as well.

This literally made laugh out loud, thanks for that.

better yet a way to make our own icons. either by importing, or drawing the sprites. An icon editor application would be nice.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wow, what's up with the new eshop design? Was that just today? I'd still prefer to increase the number of rows, but a quick browse bar is nice. Plus a sort by option!

ffdgh

just noticed a little feature change. the l and r buttons have to be held for a sec before they go to the camera. no more accidental presses ftw

BooJoh

I didn't like the "Wall of Folders" look my menu had, so I tweaked it some more, consolidated my folders, and pulled some newer/more used/system apps out of folders to make it look more like a 3DS menu. I also prefer the smaller icons I'm used to.

Here's what I have now:

uku9l.jpg

System Apps - stuff like download play, health info, ambassador certificate
3DS Games - 3DSWare and 3D Classics
DSiWare - Self explanatory
VC Games - Virtual Console games, sorted by system within one folder
Demos - Self explanatory
Multimedia - 3DS Sound, which I rarely use, and all my downloaded videos

RetroMG

Sorted my games out by system.
N - NES, including 3D Classics
G - Game Boy VC
A - GB Advance Ambassador games
D - DSi games

I keep being tempted to sort the folders to say DANG.

jgkspsx

Wow, that's nearly a point-by-point response to my Club Nintendo survey complaints. Maybe those surveys are good for something!

mclem

Is there a new zoom level? Maybe I just didn't notice it before, but there's now a zoom level with a single row of icons using the upper half of the touchscreen for information. I don't recall that prior to the update

watershed

Banned
Is there a new zoom level? Maybe I just didn't notice it before, but there's now a zoom level with a single row of icons using the upper half of the touchscreen for information. I don't recall that prior to the update

It was always there. I call it the dsi menu as that's how the dsi menu works.

Veal

I hope the ability to patch games will eventually help the CPP become more useful. Things as simple as mirroring the shoulder buttons to the CPP's triggers would be AMAZING. Is something like that possible now?

Berordn

I hope the ability to patch games will eventually help the CPP become more useful. Things as simple as mirroring the shoulder buttons to the CPP's triggers would be AMAZING. Is something like that possible now?

Presumably any 3DS game using the API that included CPP control could patch it in, but since we know so little about the patching process and what games actually could be patched it's too early to say.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
On that banned Nintendo site, it's being claimed that the update added direct photo upload to mobile Facebook, while before the update, the console said "Your browser does not support mobile uploads" Can anyone confirm?

ffdgh

On that banned Nintendo site, it's being claimed that the update added direct photo upload to mobile Facebook, while before the update, the console said "Your browser does not support mobile uploads" Can anyone confirm?

Oh wow it does work now, go nintendo.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

If so they may have updated the browser.

This is a clever solution, but it's just awful that it's basically the only way to make folders usable. They're so useless that they may as well not exist.

Edit: VVVVV that basically.
Useless? May as well not exist? Why?

I do wish you could use a game/app icon as the folder image or something but other than that they work just as intended.

OMG Aero

Only having one letter on the folder is pretty bad, but do you guys have such short memory spans that you can't remember which platform of games goes in which folder just by what position they are in on the home screen?

Useless? May as well not exist? Why?

Well, they work in that they are folders and you can put things in them, but the interface is so godawful and limited that it makes sorting and organizing the actual folders far too obtuse. One character labels is just total nonsense. I suppose in Japan it might not be bad since one character can be an entire word, but else where it is simply nowhere near enough detail. A series of useful icons (perhaps little pictures of various systems) and other icons would be very useful. There are a few already (starts, notes, etc) but there are not enough and most of them aren't really useful for naming folders. They're too abstract. Even the ability to color-code the folders would be a huge improvement.

Let's put it this way. When Apple put folders on the iPhone, if the folder names were limited to one character, they would have been laughed off the face of the earth. And the folders on 3DS seem pretty inspired by the iPhone, but Nintendo completely screwed the pooch on them. But this is Nintendo's M.O. They constantly half-ass the simple stuff and get away with it.

Chuckpebble

Only having one letter on the folder is pretty bad, but do you guys have such short memory spans that you can't remember which platform of games goes in which folder just by what position they are in on the home screen?

You just gave me a good idea. Zoom all the way into the icons so that its 2 rows of 3. Put a row of your favorite item from each of your arbitrary groups on the top row and have the folder full of similar items on the row below, corresponding to the item above it.

Let's put it this way. When Apple put folders on the iPhone, if the folder names were limited to one character, they would have been laughed off the face of the earth.

lol. indeed.

Edit:
It's not a memory span issue, it's a this-is-the-year-2012 issue. I could use up to 8 characters to name my "folders" in MS-DOS, and all 8 characters would be displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom