• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS firmware update - 4/25 FOLDERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkscz

Since nobody posted a thread about this, I thought I would...
Whoops...

k9cu3.jpg

Folder video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PshLM1v1vOY

FOLDERS!?
7eaNY.gif

I can't wait to put the health warnings into a folder, it has no place on my main menu. I've already moved it to the far right so I don't have to see it, but I know it's there.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Obviously you weren't paying attention when iOS 4.0 was announced/released. When Vita gets folders, I guarantee you that GAF will make a big fuss over that too.

iOS 4.0 wasn't just folders though and it was a pretty comprehensive update in of itself.

I'm not saying this isn't a good thing it is...but the reaction is a tad bit over-the-top....

iOS 4.0 wasn't just folders though and it was a pretty comprehensive update in of itself.

I'm not saying this isn't a good thing it is...but the reaction is a tad bit over-the-top....

Trust me, I follow every Apple announcement, and people lost their shit over folders.

M3d10n

I'm a fan of Nintendo but it's hilarious seeing people happy about this...

If it was any other company this wouldn't even be news...people would be like "ok and?"

It took several years for the iPhone to get folders. A huge deal was made out of it. Almost as big as the copy&paste update.

The point is: it's not the folders by themselves, but that Nintendo is capable of and willing to improve the OS experience.

budpikmin

I'm really happy about this. It's a shame they are plain looking though.. It doesn't seem in keeping with the other app icons on the 3ds. Maybe they could have let us choose different icons to decorate them with? A virtual console logo as an option would be nice

While folders are great, patching is a bigger announcement.
Especially that they're patching Love Plus, a game that was riddled with errors.

jgkspsx

Ambassadors have twenty icons right there. I guess you latecomers might not have the same problems.

I'm looking forward to my "never again" folder more than anything.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

That's not for you to decide.

Gameboy415

People are freaking out about folders hahah.
There's barely enough content to warrant folders. Pretty sure not a lot of people have THAT many programs taking up home screen space.

Folders are a god-send for me!

Other than the built-in stuff I've got:

-5 Apps (SwapNote, Nintendo Video, Nintendo Zone, Netflix, and Pokedex 3D)
-8 3D games (the 5 Nintendo releases, Mighty Switch Force, VVVVVV, & Mutant Mudds)
-6 3D Classics (everything thus far)
-14 DSiWare games (I would have more if I could copy & play them off the damn SD card)
-3 Demos
-10 GB/GBC games
-20 Ambassador games (GBA/NES) + the Ambassador Certificate
-20 Game Trailer Videos

I just upgraded to a 32GB SD Card last week too. :)

whoa that mario kart 7 patch is huge , thought they said it wasn't possible.

finally i can start picking waka wuhu more, it was a good map ruined by those glitchers

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I like this, I have 53 icons on my main menu as of now, but the way I have it set the whole order will get ruined everytime I get a new Game Boy game or NES title. So I like the new folders, this should be fun for the inner organiser.

beje

Banned
whoa that mario kart 7 patch is huge , thought they said it wasn't possible.

finally i can start picking waka wuhu more, it was a good map ruined by those glitchers

It was true they couldn't patch it with traditional or official methods (through an option in devkits that came when the game was almost finished) but I guess they have used a less orthodox method, probably on the fly through the OS or something like that. Maybe not suitable for big stuff like adding DLC, big overhauls or something like that, but good enough for fixing random glitches.

Croc

Banned
It's mostly satire with a hint of truth.

I think there's more truth to this than you might think.

I'm honestly more excited for this than NSMB2. I have almost 50 items on my screen, a bunch of which I don't use. There's so many that the only way I can have all of my icons on the home screen is if it's the smallest size, when I can hardly even tell what the icons are any more.

Cipherr

If it was any other company this wouldn't even be news...people would be like "ok and?"

Obviously you weren't paying attention when iOS 4.0 was announced/released. When Vita gets folders, I guarantee you that GAF will make a big fuss over that too.

Yeah you're right no one got excited about folders on iOS yah dingus

Annnnnnnnnnd scene. People were far more excited about iOS folders than people in this thread about 3DS folders. And there was plenty more to this mini conference than just this announcement, so his nitpicking doesnt hold there either.

Folks need to stop being an ass for no reason.

BowieZ

Banned
I will create these folders:

- 3D Classics
- NES games
- GB games
- GBA games
- other non-3D titles (GBC, FSA, DSiWare, GG titles)
- demos
- trailers

olimpia84

Nice update, my main screen is full and I have the icons set to the smallest size possible. Here's hoping we can icons in the folders though, if it's just names or initials it will look pretty bland.

zroid

Banned

Ok, you've already been beaten half to death for this comment, so I won't press further, but you have to understand that the fact that they are "just folders" is not relevant. Whether or not it's a feature that "should have been there from the start", it's something a lot of people really wanted.

When people get something they really want, do you not think they will be excited? This is normal.

guek

Banned
That's cool, I guess, though I have never really cared much for that feature, honestly. Would have much rathered the eShop be updated with a shopping cart and/or gifting.

I think eShop gifting will happen sooner rather than later. It'll happen eventually.

As for shopping carts, I'm not so sure. But to be perfectly honest, I never thought they'd do folders either. It seems a bit more likely now.

So the folders display the first letter of whatever that particular folder is named?
That's lame.
My GameBoy folder will be G and my GameBoy Advance folder will be... G. Da fuk?

rpmurphy

So the folders display the first letter of whatever that particular folder is named?
That's lame.
Yeah, I would think the other options are to display the first app in the folder, or not display anything at all. You'll just have to look at the top screen. I hope we get folder colors.

Bagu

That's lame.
I think that's for Japan only. IIRC, Japanese characters have more meaning than single English letters

Sleepy

Sorry for going off topic a bit, but I figure this thread is moving so why not ask here: Definitely going to pick up a 3DS soon as the new announcements have pushed me--

Does the 3DS battery need to be completely dead before you charge it? Or will the battery be fine with constant mini-charging?

Is the battery replaceable if anything happens to degrade the charge life over time?

What is this about the screen scratches? Has the issue been fixed with newer models? If so, which models should I look for? Is the Flame Red/Mario bundle a good model to buy?

Which color is best for non-noticeable fingerprints?

Are the e-shop games tied to the machine or the account? If I choose to buy a newer model/redesign will I have to re-buy everything?

Thanks. Etrian Odyssey looks killer.

Ridley327

Sorry for going off topic a bit, but I figure this thread is moving so why not ask here: Definitely going to pick up a 3DS soon as the new announcements have pushed me--

Does the 3DS battery need to be completely dead before you charge it? Or will the battery be fine with constant mini-charging?

Is the battery replaceable if anything happens to degrade the charge life over time?

What is this about the screen scratches? Has the issue been fixed with newer models? If so, which models should I look for? Is the Flame Red/Mario bundle a good model to buy?

Which color is best for non-noticeable fingerprints?

Are the e-shop games tied to the machine or the account? If I choose to buy a newer model/redesign will I have to re-buy everything?

Thanks. Etrian Odyssey looks killer.

1. The 3DS is designed to be on pretty much all of the time. The whole "battery memory" thing is a relic of the past at this point.

2. Yep

3. From what I understand, the screen scratching problems were an issue with the launch-era units and has been since rectified.

4. I think that the blue or the red are a bit less fingerprint-prone than the black unit.

5. They are tied to the system, but they have an easy system transfer program that will take everything on the old 3DS and put it directly onto the new unit. Not the greatest solution out there, but a damn sight better than how they've handled it on the Wii.

It's a Li-ion battery:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/02/ask-ars-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery.ars said:
One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent. In a way, this is like people running for exercise— running a few miles a day is fine, but running a marathon every day is generally not sustainable. If your Li-ion powered device is running out of juice on a daily basis, you're decreasing its overall useful lifespan, and should probably work some charging stations into your day or change your devices' settings so that it's not churning through its battery so quickly.

There used to be certain types of batteries whose "memory" of their total charge capacity seemed to get confused by shallow discharges. This is not, and never was, the case with Li-ion batteries. However, if you are using something like a notebook computer that gives you time estimates of how much longer the battery will last, this clock can be confused by shallow charging intervals. Most manufacturers recommend that you do a full discharge of the battery about once a month to help your device calibrate the time gauge.

One common misconception is that Li-ion batteries will only count charge cycles if the battery is drained completely in one session; another is that the battery counts one charge cycle for every instance the device is unplugged and plugged in again. Neither of these is true—Li-ion batteries actually count charge cycles based on a 100 percent discharge even when it's summed over multiple sessions. For example, if you discharge a battery to 50 percent one day, charge it back to 100 percent, then discharge it 50 percent again the next day, that is counted as one "cycle" of the battery. So shallow discharges, in all these regards, are ideal for a Li-ion battery.

On the other end of the spectrum, keeping a Li-ion battery fully charged is not good for it either. This isn't because Li-ion batteries can get "overcharged" (something that people used to worry about in The Olden Days of portable computers), but a Li-ion battery that doesn't get used will suffer from capacity loss, meaning that it won't be able to hold as much charge and power your gadgets for as long. Extremely shallow discharges of only a couple percent are also not enough to keep a Li-ion battery in practice, so if you're going to pull the plug, let the battery run down for a little bit.

Does this mean circle pad pro support can be patched into older games? Maybe?
No reason it shouldn't be possible in theory. I don't think it's very likely though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom