• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS firmware update - 4/25 FOLDERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoRausch

next update could use...

themes.
more image formats.
wallpapers.
custom music for the home screen.
Tabs for internet browser.
flip note.
A.M/P.M time display.
Daylight savings button.
MP4 playback

ect ect

Wait... You dont have am pm in the US? It's a non-issu for europe 'cause we don't use it, but they didn't really bother to add it for the rest of the world?

the more you know.

I wonder if it would be possible for an update to allow DSiware games to run off an SD card. I'd also like more Streetpass slots. Right now I have all the big games Streetpass activated but would like more room to actívate lesser known games like Shinobi. (It would just be neat to SP someone who's actually played it.)

wsippel

Banned
next update could use...

themes.
more image formats.
wallpapers.
custom music for the home screen.
Tabs for internet browser.
flip note.
A.M/P.M time display.
Daylight savings button.
MP4 playback

ect ect
Fuck this shit. Why the hell isn't there NTP (Network Time Protocol) support? The internal realtime clock sucks balls, anyway - worse drift than my mechanical wristwatch.

Hale-XF11

Can i haz folder in da folder? I heard you liked folders... Etc.

I'm talking inception levels of folders so deep that time itself is reversed at the deepest level and we all revert back to when we were happy enough to get a home version of Pong.

Tyeforce

A friend of mine pointed out how silly it will be to have separate folders for GB, GBA, GBC and GG games. That's a lot of "G" folders.
I'm worried about this, too. I can't figure out how I should name my folders. I know that I want different folders for 3D Classics, NES VC, Game Boy VC, Game Gear VC, Game Boy Color VC, Game Boy Advance VC, DSiWare, Videos, and Demos, but how will I name them?! Since only the first letter of the name appears on the icon, my folders will look like this: 3, N, G, G, G, G, D, V, D. Kinda confusing, huh? =/ I really wish that the icon displayed at least three characters, then I could name them NES, GB, GG, GBC, GBA, etc.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You never know, perhaps they'll listen to feedback and release folders 2.0 in a future update.

backlot

I'm worried about this, too. I can't figure out how I should name my folders. I know that I want different folders for 3D Classics, NES VC, Game Boy VC, Game Gear VC, Game Boy Color VC, Game Boy Advance VC, DSiWare, Videos, and Demos, but how will I name them?! Since only the first letter of the name appears on the icon, my folders will look like this: 3, N, G, G, G, G, D, V, D. Kinda confusing, huh? =/ I really wish that the icon displayed at least three characters, then I could name them NES, GB, GG, GBC, GBA, etc.

I'll probably go with something like 3D Classics, NES VC, Game Boy VC, Game Gear VC, Game Boy Color VC, Game Boy Advance VC, DSiWare, Videos, and Demos. 3, N, B, G, C, A, W, V, D. All the folders will be unique if you use those letters.

Tyeforce

I'll probably go with something like 3D Classics, NES VC, Game Boy VC, Game Gear VC, Game Boy Color VC, Game Boy Advance VC, DSiWare, Videos, and Demos. 3, N, B, G, C, A, W, V, D. All the folders will be unique if you use those letters.

But you also have to keep in mind that the full title appears on the top screen. If I wanted to name the folders like that, they would look like this: 3D Classics, NES VC, Boy VC, Game Gear VC, Color VC, Advance VC, Ware, Videos, and Demos. Doesn't really work, lol.

OMG Aero

You could just not separate them by console and by what type of game they are.
3DSware, Virtual Console, Ambassador Games, iWare, Trailers, Demos

backlot

But you also have to keep in mind that the full title appears on the top screen. If I wanted to name the folders like that, they would look like this: 3D Classics, NES VC, Boy VC, Game Gear VC, Color VC, Advance VC, Ware, Videos, and Demos. Doesn't really work, lol.

Or you could just do something like "B Game Boy VC". Guess it depends on if you value the title or the icon more.

Branduil

Wait, they're actually fixing Maka Wuhu? I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised, especially after their initial dismissive response to the problem.

Roto13

So we can only name the folders one letter? :/

Even two or three would be enough.

EDIT: Oh, well that's better.

NeoRausch

It's only 7 pm where I live. I'm not expecting it before I go to bed either.

Ha well, shop is also still offline. I'm gonna hit the snoozer. Goodnigh everyone.
...and hell will break loose if i don't wale up to a freshly new firmware.

(...or even better:allready downloaded. 3ds can do that now, doesnt it?)

ffdgh

Ha well, shop is also still offline. I'm gonna hit the snoozer. Goodnigh everyone.
...and hell will break loose if i don't wale up to a freshly new firmware.

(...or even better:allready downloaded. 3ds can do that now, doesnt it?)

nope, gotta do it manually

Are we really getting excited about folders?!?!

.... Yeah, I am. I really want to organise my eShop games. It will be a beautiful cacophony of organised bliss.

Tyeforce

Or you could just do something like "B Game Boy VC". Guess it depends on if you value the title or the icon more.
I'd rather have a proper name than something like "B Game Boy VC", but at the same time I don't want a bunch of Gs on my folder icons.

Wait...! Does it really? Then... Why are we even talking about that here. Disscussion = null. #folderchanger

bring the update nintendothingguyworker!
Because you can't see the full name on the top screen unless you have the folder selected. If I have a bunch of folders with the letter G on them beside each other, I'm not going to know what's what unless I go through and select them all to see the full names on the top screen, which kinda defeats the whole point of folders in the first place.

The only solution I can think of is to use special characters as icon symbols for my folders, and just memorize what is what. For example, NES could be a square, Game Boy could be a triangle, DSiWare could be a circle, etc. So, for example, the full name of a folder would be something like "★ 3D Classics", with just the symbol appearing on the icon. I'd have to think about which symbol would best represent each folder, and hopefully there are enough special characters for use.

Penguin

When everyone does it: Meh.

When Nintendo does it: OMG IT'S LIKE MAGIC

I think when Sony does it...

I think most people have no issue with Xboxes updates.. I've never seen any complaints.
Well other than when they radically change the dashboard and UI stuff.

KevinCow

Banned
When everyone does it: Meh.

When Nintendo does it: OMG IT'S LIKE MAGIC

It's more that people are kinda shocked that Nintendo's actually listening and implementing obviously useful features that fans are asking for instead of slamming their hands over their ears and screaming, "LALALALALA NO IT'S TOTALLY FINE LALALALALA!!!" like they've been known to do for the last... well, ever.

Tyeforce

So, for the folder naming idea, what about something like this?

☆ 3DS Download Software
★ 3D Classics
■ NES VC
▲ Game Boy VC
● Game Gear VC
▼ Game Boy Color VC
◆ Game Boy Advance VC
♪ DSiWare
Videos
Demos

Do you think those shapes match up well with the categories? Or should I switch some around or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom